RIP Jimmy Armfield

Chewy

Ok, I know it's not specifically saints related, but any football fan, especially anyone who's spent time listening to radio 5 will miss this true gentleman. In an era of prima Donna footballers he's a reminder of what once was truly the people's game. A great life, two great careers and a sad loss.

Ok, I know it's not specifically saints related, but any football fan, especially anyone who's spent time listening to radio 5 will miss this true gentleman. In an era of prima Donna footballers he's a reminder of what once was truly the people's game. A great life, two great careers and a sad loss.

By all accounts, a lovely man. Great voice too. I grew up listening to him.

A One club man as well.

By all accounts, a lovely man.

Very much so. On the day after he finally received his World Cup winners medal he was due to visit the school my wife taught in, so he brought the medaal with him and let as many of the children hold the medal as wanted too. Quite a few dads managed to be off work that day as well so that they could have their pictures taken with Jimmy and his medal.

( Is it correct that he was the last English manager to take an English team to a European final ? ).

Very much so. On the day after he finally received his World Cup winners medal he was due to visit the school my wife taught in, so he brought the medaal with him and let as many of the children hold the medal as wanted too. Quite a few dads managed to be off work that day as well so that they could have their pictures taken with Jimmy and his medal.

( Is it correct that he was the last English manager to take an English team to a European final ? ).

Loads since 1975. Paisley. Clough. Fagan. Robson. Burkinshaw. Mclaren and Hodgson.

Absolutely superb co-commentator on Five Live, even in his later years. Spoke with authority and clarity and like you were sat next to him.

Not many have even got close to him on tge radio - Graham Taylor was similarly good but another one gone.

RIP Jimmy.

I remember him playing in the first couple of seasons I followed Saints, and that he was a highly respected player, several older relatives saying he had been an outstanding right back and very unlucky to miss out on a place oin the World Cup winning team.

Respected and dignified as a manager as I recall, and he was definitely an authoritive voice as a summariser on radio. One of the "voices" of football, and one of the gentlemen of the game.

I remember seeing him play and he was more than just a decent full back. Fine positional sense who could deliver a great cross and seldom wasted a pass.

On top of that as countless others have said, he was a gentleman of the game, a superb pundit and a loyal servant to Blackpool.

Saddened he has he passed.