Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

• 1 month later...
Holding his hammy too. 2 years ago I did my hammy. Rehabbed it, everything great, played, boom went again. Rinse and repeat twice. It’s not fun at all, you play with the fear it will go again at any time.

Ralph's view:

@AdamBlackmore: #saintsfc boss Ralph Hasenhüttl told me that Michael Obafemi’s repeated hamstring problem is down to his physique at the moment, his ‘posture’, as opposed to any mistake of judgement by anyone on his fitness

Bloody shambles this. what a mess. The thought of us sticking all our eggs in the Ings, Obafemi, Long and Austin basket is absolutely laughable.

All either always injured or nowhere near good enough.

Which other teams would any of these get in in this league?

He can be the Theo Walcott of our 1st promotion campaign.

(Score goals & get sold)

• 10 months later...

think its a nice enough article with a slightly silly headline. he says their success was a factor in him choosing to come to saints and why wouldnt it be. seems to undertand he has some growing up and learning to do and is trying to do it. Fair play to him. He has some good attributes and with some hard work you never know how far he'll go. Wont be bale im sure but hes still young has a good chance. fingers crossed for him

He reminds me a bit of Michael Antonio when we had him in League 1. He was raw then but you could tell he had the physical attributes to work with. Obafemi could probably do with a season at a lower level to learn his craft a bit and develop a goalscoring habit.

think its a nice enough article with a slightly silly headline. he says their success was a factor in him choosing to come to saints and why wouldnt it be. seems to undertand he has some growing up and learning to do and is trying to do it. Fair play to him. He has some good attributes and with some hard work you never know how far he'll go. Wont be bale im sure but hes still young has a good chance. fingers crossed for him

Yeah exactly, he doesn't even say he wants to be like them, he just notes that those players also came through the academy. Not like newspapers (and particularly the DM) to come up with misleading headlines.

Want to see him do well so fingers crossed. At the moment his main attribute is his pace - doesnt seem to have the same technical ability as most of our youngsters coming through but no reason why that wont develop!

His goal against Chelsea on Boxing day showed great technical ability I thought. Superb finish in the top corner.

I think his close ball control and dribbling ability could be improved though, but it's already better than Long's.

He needs to get over whatever fitness issue he has, doesn't seem to be able to play consecutive games. Looking at him you wonder if he gets over that he could have a similar impact to Adama Troare, seems to have a similar build especially if he keeps working on it, explosive pace and power, you don't even really need good dribbling ability if you have that, what Troare has worked on a lot is end product, finishing, crossing, composure basically.

His goal against Chelsea on Boxing day showed great technical ability I thought. Superb finish in the top corner.

I think his close ball control and dribbling ability could be improved though, but it's already better than Long's.

Definitely agree it was a great goal, and was a very nice Christmas gift to the fans! I am indeed talking about his ball control and dribbling - seems very raw in that respects

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Nolan said:

I would rather he went out on loan to get a full season of "first choice" under his belt. Id be happy with Ings / Adams / Long and blooding Tella more. 

That’s the key point isn’t it.  Does Ralph see anyone in the academy who could step in for him?

I’d keep him (unless we need the money).

If I wanted Saints to push on I would cash in on Obafemi plus add a sell on clause with bonuses.

Imho he will never be a regular starter plus he’s injured quite a lot.

I then would get a promising player who could push for a regular starting place plus become a great investment if he does become the bees knees. 
When I was told we have had talks with Folarin Balogun then it could all make sense now.

Maybe it was Saints who fed the press to get a bid on Obafemi?

Edited by Pilchards

8 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

If I wanted Saints to push on I would cash in on Obafemi plus add a sell on clause with bonuses. Imho he will never be a regular starter plus he’s injured quite a lot.

Maybe it was Saints who fed the press to get a bid on Obafemi?

He only turned 20 last month. He could still be playing for our under 23 team for the next 3 seasons, but has already shown himself to be a reasonable impact player in the Premier League. Other 19/20 year old strikers at Premier League clubs are mainly still playing for their under 23 team or out on loan, so Obafemi is ahead of most of his peers.

If he had spent the whole of 2019/20 as a 19 year old in our under 23 team would you want him sold now?

How does Saints feeding a story like this to the press make any difference to getting a bid? Why would a club pay any attention to such an article?

12 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

When I was told we have had talks with Folarin Balogun then it could all make sense now.

If we have to lose Obafemi to bring in Balogun, I'm not sure that's a terrible outcome.

Don't know if either of them will ultimately make the grade - that's the gamble with unproven kids - but I can't see anything special about Obafemi at all.

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He only turned 20 last month. He could still be playing for our under 23 team for the next 3 seasons, but has already shown himself to be a reasonable impact player in the Premier League. Other 19/20 year old strikers at Premier League clubs are mainly still playing for their under 23 team or out on loan, so Obafemi is ahead of most of his peers.

If he had spent the whole of 2019/20 as a 19 year old in our under 23 team would you want him sold now?

How does Saints feeding a story like this to the press make any difference to getting a bid? Why would a club pay any attention to such an article?

It’s funny how you take part of my article and not the rest.

I also said.......(and I agree the Arsenal player could become a top class player and a mega investment for the future)

I then would get a promising player who could push for a regular starting place plus become a great investment if he does become the bees knees. 

55 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

If we have to lose Obafemi to bring in Balogun, I'm not sure that's a terrible outcome.

Don't know if either of them will ultimately make the grade - that's the gamble with unproven kids - but I can't see anything special about Obafemi at all.

Pace.

Career depends if his paper mache calf and thigh muscles can be fixed/trained/toughened up.

Bizarre that people are so open to selling a player of high potential who has scored big goals for us this season.

He is literally learning his game in the PL, so he is bound to be up and down.

But no chance we could buy a talent with his profile from another PL side for £10m and no chance we will be selling one either.

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Agreed. Would be a decent outcome IMO

I guess you would have seen a fair bit of Balogun whilst watching Jankewitz in the U18s and U23s.

Strengths? Weaknesses? Why don't Arsenal seem overly botheree to let him go in your view?

Just now, Dusic said:

I guess you would have seen a fair bit of Balogun whilst watching Jankewitz in the U18s and U23s.

Strengths? Weaknesses? Why don't Arsenal seem overly botheree to let him go in your view?

They really want him to stay but he won’t sign a contract and wants out because he knows he won’t get a chance in the first team.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea