Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

If he wants to improve, I would suggest not listening to that bunch of mis-fires and to go his own way!

He looks like he knows where the goal is and what to do when he gets there, the others could do with learning something from him, not the other way around.

Wasn't involved with the U23's again so should be in the squad against Watford.

If he wants to improve, I would suggest not listening to that bunch of mis-fires and to go his own way!

He looks like he knows where the goal is and what to do when he gets there, the others could do with learning something from him, not the other way around.

Totally agree.

Who is Shane to tell him what to do when he can't even hit the target in 50 ****ing matches.

It seems he may be starting.

Very best wishes to the lad and hope he makes a spectacular success if he debuts.

However it comes to something when the club has to involve an untried youngster in such an important game when the rest of our expensive 'Star' strike force is not thought good enough.

Shambles!!!

He is crap. Ruins any game plan when he's on the pitch.

Slow, unfit, no presence. He's finished as a PL player. Stealing a living for me.

Yeah, when he's not scoring, he's a passenger.

Could really do with Gallagher being fit for another option with Ings / Long possibly out for a while.

Yeah, when he's not scoring, he's a passenger.

Could really do with Gallagher being fit for another option with Ings / Long possibly out for a while.

Maybe we should be giving Marcus Barnes a run, he is out-scoring Michael Obafemi in the u23s (just), everyone was saying Michael was "scoring for fun".

loved this comment from the comments section -

Frank Scanlon

17mins ago

"Realistically why would he choose Ireland unless hes not good enough for England or Nigeria. He was born here to Nigerian parents but moved away at a young age so in all reality probably doesnt have much affinity to Ireland. Being born in a stable doesnt make you a horse. However if your parents are horses then you’re a horse, and if you grow up in a stable then either you are a horse or at least more likely to feel like a horse"

All this playing for one country then opting for another really bugs me. Young players with dual qualification should have to choose who they wish to represent at international level when they sign their first professional contract and be bound by that decision.

I thought it was made clear he would be on the bench for this game (as would be classed as an official cap) but could get playing time in the next game later this week.

As for demanding 16 year olds pledge their allegence thats plainly ridiculous. There are many people who it is no option, always been a simple choice but for others thats not the case. If you feel an equal allegiance to the lands you live in, grew up in and your heritage is from then so what, choose whichever you want. No need to make that choice as a kid when you dont know enough about things to make a good choice. Its a shame i agree that it feels like it devalues the cap for people who only know one option (genuinely makes me grumpy too sometimes) but its just different situations and silly not to see that.

I thought it was made clear he would be on the bench for this game (as would be classed as an official cap) but could get playing time in the next game later this week.

No. Wrong way round.

Last night wasn't a competitive game, so he could still turn out for England or Nigeria in the future.

loved this comment from the comments section -

Frank Scanlon

17mins ago

"Realistically why would he choose Ireland unless hes not good enough for England or Nigeria. He was born here to Nigerian parents but moved away at a young age so in all reality probably doesnt have much affinity to Ireland. Being born in a stable doesnt make you a horse. However if your parents are horses then you’re a horse, and if you grow up in a stable then either you are a horse or at least more likely to feel like a horse"

Only a neigh-sayer would put it that way.

As for demanding 16 year olds pledge their allegence thats plainly ridiculous. There are many people who it is no option, always been a simple choice but for others thats not the case. If you feel an equal allegiance to the lands you live in, grew up in and your heritage is from then so what, choose whichever you want. No need to make that choice as a kid when you dont know enough about things to make a good choice. Its a shame i agree that it feels like it devalues the cap for people who only know one option (genuinely makes me grumpy too sometimes) but its just different situations and silly not to see that.

There may be a very small amount of players who are genuinely conflicted, but I reckon most footballers at 16 will know whether they have been dreaming of scoring the winner for England in the world cup final, or for someone else. So often it clearly becomes a commercial decision, that's what annoys me.

There may be a very small amount of players who are genuinely conflicted, but I reckon most footballers at 16 will know whether they have been dreaming of scoring the winner for England in the world cup final, or for someone else. So often it clearly becomes a commercial decision, that's what annoys me.

Would be very harsh to expect a 16 year old to choose his nationality based on his dreams alone. I for one have had many bizarre dreams and if I was forced to live my life by them things would be chaotic right now. And how do you regulate that anyway? Just trust Obafemi that what he is telling us about his past dreams are correct? We can't actually analyse people's dreams, we can't prove what Obafemi is claiming to be factual.

Look I trust the guy, but if we're asking him for his dream history to choose which nationality he represents for the entirety of his footballing career I just think that's a step too far. So if he says I dreamed about playing for Brazil he instantly gets a call up for the Brazilian national team? Come on it's not realistic.

Would be very harsh to expect a 16 year old to choose his nationality based on his dreams alone. I for one have had many bizarre dreams and if I was forced to live my life by them things would be chaotic right now. And how do you regulate that anyway? Just trust Obafemi that what he is telling us about his past dreams are correct? We can't actually analyse people's dreams, we can't prove what Obafemi is claiming to be factual.

Look I trust the guy, but if we're asking him for his dream history to choose which nationality he represents for the entirety of his footballing career I just think that's a step too far. So if he says I dreamed about playing for Brazil he instantly gets a call up for the Brazilian national team? Come on it's not realistic.

I think you may have taken me a bit too literally. If my actual 'sleeping' dreams came true, my footballer self would be proudly pulling the Moldovan national team shirt over his chimpanzee head and scoring the winner in the Solar System cup final.

I do accept though that any such decision forced on a 16 year old would be entirely non-legally enforcable.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know how long his contract is? The only thing I can find is that he sined his first pro deal in 2017, but not sure on length. Would hope he is tied down for a while.

Looks a great prospect IMO as in the few minutes he has been on the pitch he seems to get really good chances, which suggests his movement and anticipation is good, even if some of his finishing has been poor.

Very well suited to Hasenhuttl, and I think he will get a lot of minutes in the second half of the season.

Seems a nice lad as well, with a good level of self belief.

Anyone know how long his contract is? The only thing I can find is that he sined his first pro deal in 2017, but not sure on length. Would hope he is tied down for a while.

Looks a great prospect IMO as in the few minutes he has been on the pitch he seems to get really good chances, which suggests his movement and anticipation is good, even if some of his finishing has been poor.

Very well suited to Hasenhuttl, and I think he will get a lot of minutes in the second half of the season.

Seems a nice lad as well, with a good level of self belief.

People will moan if we don't tie him down because he'll leave on the cheap and then they'll moan if he does get tied down because he'll be stuck on the books like Forster, Classie, Boufal etc.

People will moan if we don't tie him down because he'll leave on the cheap and then they'll moan if he does get tied down because he'll be stuck on the books like Forster, Classie, Boufal etc.
Absolute rubbish - I don't think anyone would moan at securing a good young player on a fraction of the money the players you mentioned were signed on.

He's only scored one goal---surely that doesn't mean the top six want him already? If he has 15 by Easter, maybe. I'm a fan and I am full of hope for him but we panic becuase of all the sales in the recent past. With the departure of Reed and the arrival of Ralph H. I expect a very different attitude

With a little more experience he would've chipped the keeper with his first good breakthrough on goal.

The keeper had gone to ground early and he shot straight at him.

But he then took his next opportunity well so I'm hopeful that with experience and confidence that he can score at top level he will prove to be a handful to the opposition for many years and he has the right managers to take him there.

I for one have had many bizarre dreams and if I was forced to live my life by them things would be chaotic right now.

Agreed, but I suppose I could live with the chaos if I was forced to live out my teenage dreams of knobbing Debbie Harry senseless.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea