WBA v Saints - 5th Round FA Cup Thread

Edmonton Saint

Good start overall with some exceptions.

Hoedt and Stephens playing very well

Cedric can't cross

Carillo has won nothing in the air

Redmond isn't up for the battle

Tadic with his back to goal is a guaranteed loss of possession

Ref giving them a free kick anytime they fall over

Lemina very tidy, Hojberg not far behind

Today's issue seems to be Redmond is our main attacking 'force', utilising his 'pace'.

So we're now backing off a bit because we're losing confidence in our ability to make meaningful attacks.

We should be pushing, pushing all the time.

Ok, break away... nope. Stopped.

Good start overall with some exceptions.

Hoedt and Stephens playing very well

Cedric can't cross

Carillo has won nothing in the air

Redmond isn't up for the battle

Tadic with his back to goal is a guaranteed loss of possession

Ref giving them a free kick anytime they fall over

Lemina very tidy, Hojberg not far behind

And waving play on any time we're fouled, unless it's an obvious hack/stamp.

Good shout with your summary.

Wasnt that tunc Appleton who is providing all the biased comments on the BBC once a Pompey manager ?

Yes, and currently assistant manager at Leicester. Probably the most biased commentary I have ever seen.

If you have a moment during HT, have a look at the bbc live commentary feed and read what Appleton has to say.

First 20-25 mins I thought we were pretty decent but seem to drop back quite a bit after that.

We really need to get a 2nd goal as can see them getting something from one of their long balls into the box. Especially as the ref seems to be giving free kicks for **** all.

Decent display, a bit disappointing we're not going in for the kill..

A couple of issues Redmond has no left foot and keeps cutting back to side foot a predictable cross into Mcauley/Heghazi - him and Tadic need to swap wings, i'd rather JWP central, he isn't crossing from wide positions. Haul off Carillo, can see him getting a red, nasty needless elbow at the end of the half.

Hoedt is playing well, Holjberg/Lemina dominating the MF, Cedric and Bertrand also doing well, Stephens looks very composed.

WBA playing badly, we're not playing as well as the 3-2 - seem to be lacking confidence in the final third.

Scrappy. So frustrating that Saints aren't better in the final third. So often we get into good positions but the ball ends up going backwards. Far too many cheap free kicks given away that offer WBA a chance to lump the ball into the box where they're stronger than us.

Still, mustn't grumble too much.

Tadic and Redmond should be on the opposite wings, the left is where Tadic looks at his best and the right is the only place Redmond hasn't looked awful.

Especially should be that way round given that we have Carillo in the middle.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Can't believe he is still going with this tactic/formation...!

I think the idea of left-footers playing on the right, & vice versa, is so they have better shooting chances if they cut in. Townsend & Coutinho proof it can work.

Doesn't seem to work for us - neither Redmond nor Tadic shoot often enough & they're not good enough from distance (20+ yards).

Swap 'em back.