WBA v Saints - 5th Round FA Cup Thread

Edmonton Saint

Advice please. Thinking of taking my boys to this, their first away game. Not been away myself for a while, I assume it will be standing for most of the game? If so, will my boys be able to stand on their seats (they are 12 and 10) so they can see or will the stewards tell them to get down? Want to take them but want to make sure they can see something.

My youngest always stands on his seat at away games and did on Saturday. You won't have any problems with that.

My youngest always stands on his seat at away games and did on Saturday. You won't have any problems with that.

Have had years of doing that with both daughters, although not needed anymore for oldest! Only ever had a problem at Nottm Forest (the game we thought we were going out of business)when an officious steward demanded they get off chair but had no solution to how they could see over standing adults!

I am sure you will keep an arm around them in case flip the top of the chair!

Advice please. Thinking of taking my boys to this, their first away game. Not been away myself for a while, I assume it will be standing for most of the game? If so, will my boys be able to stand on their seats (they are 12 and 10) so they can see or will the stewards tell them to get down? Want to take them but want to make sure they can see something.

Kids are almost expected to do it TBF. My boy is now as tall as me but from the age of 5/6 he's been doing away games and stood on seats up and down the country for years.

Corky Morris and I used to have our lads on seats either side of us holding on to our shoulders for balance.

The Hawthorns is pretty steep and they should be able to see over the top of people without standing on seats. I know Corky's youngest didn't need to stand on his seat on Saturday.

Just looking at the plan I wonder if A3 & A6 might be taken up. V1 & V2 are presumably the gap between supporters, and WBA giving home tickets to D1-D6.

A3 and A6 are part of the 2,700 allocation, but they are held back for sale until other blocks nearly sold out

A3 and A6 are part of the 2,700 allocation, but they are held back for sale until other blocks nearly sold out

I’d expect A3 to go on sale later today as not many left in A1 and A2. Once they open those blocks there’s still plenty of tickets left so no problem with this one making general sale. Hopefully we get close to taking the full lot.

I’d expect A3 to go on sale later today as not many left in A1 and A2. Once they open those blocks there’s still plenty of tickets left so no problem with this one making general sale. Hopefully we get close to taking the full lot.

looks the correct descion by the club not to take our full 15% allocation for this.

looks the correct descion by the club not to take our full 15% allocation for this.

I'd agree it was prudent of the club not to take the full allocation on offer in the current climate, but it would have been a lot more than 15% as the option was the usual PL allocation or the entire end. I can't see any problem shifting what we've got and, no doubt, if we get a good performance against the scallies this weekend they'll be plenty berating the club as many more will fancy West Brom but they'll be no tickets left.

This will be my first visit to Hawthorns, originally planning to drive but giving a thought to getting train from Winchester as its direct to New Street .Has anyone ever taken the Metro from New Street to the ground ?According to the away ground guide it takes about 25 minutes.

This will be my first visit to Hawthorns, originally planning to drive but giving a thought to getting train from Winchester as its direct to New Street .Has anyone ever taken the Metro from New Street to the ground ?According to the away ground guide it takes about 25 minutes.
Yes -easy. Can take longer coming back as away fans are directed away from the metro station.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Birmingham City are playing Millwall the same day, New Street will be a bit angsty.

Always been one of my favourite away days since the 70s, other than the 'main' stand, a proper football ground and two great 'ends' back in the old terraces days.

Thanks. 1804 return from New Street would be feasible, if not a few beers in Brum until 1904 then !
Yes Should be ok. Coming back, I sometimes walk to Smethwick Rolfe Street main line station. Quick from there to New Street.

Near New Street you have the Shakespeare, or if you have a bit longer, 5 min walk to Wellington on Bennett's Hill - one of the best real ale pubs in Britain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Birmingham City are playing Millwall the same day, New Street will be a bit angsty.

Always been one of my favourite away days since the 70s, other than the 'main' stand, a proper football ground and two great 'ends' back in the old terraces days.

Thanks good tip- that will be a throw back, in terms of atmosphere, to my earlier years of going away.

Normal trains from Snow Hill to The Hawthorns quicker take only 10mins (£2.60 return), and run every 10mins and then 10min walk to ground

As you leave New Street Station (Grand Central), the metro to Wolverhampton leaves from right outside the entrance and goes to The Hawthorns. Saves the time spent walking to Snow Hill for the train. You can pay on the metro and you get a match day return, cost £3.20. We also had no issues getting the metro back at all. Away fans go a different route to home fans but meet up again at the metro stop. Away fans are not directed away from the metro, just a different route.

Finally, another recommendation for the Wellington. An absolute gem of a pub with some very special ales on tap. If you have the time, you can't go far wrong. Also, if you do find yourself near Snow Hill, The Old Contemptible's is also a very good pub.

As you leave New Street Station (Grand Central), the metro to Wolverhampton leaves from right outside the entrance and goes to The Hawthorns. Saves the time spent walking to Snow Hill for the train. You can pay on the metro and you get a match day return, cost £3.20. We also had no issues getting the metro back at all. Away fans go a different route to home fans but meet up again at the metro stop. Away fans are not directed away from the metro, just a different route.

Finally, another recommendation for the Wellington. An absolute gem of a pub with some very special ales on tap. If you have the time, you can't go far wrong. Also, if you do find yourself near Snow Hill, The Old Contemptible's is also a very good pub.

That's very good advice, especially regarding the pubs!

I asked about that at the TO yesterday and pointed out we had those blocks on Saturday,so why were they selling the worst tickets to our most loyal fans? The callow youth went and asked his masters. Came back and said they didn't have those blocks and WBA must have sold them to our fans.

I walked away laughing.

I asked about that at the TO yesterday and pointed out we had those blocks on Saturday,so why were they selling the worst tickets to our most loyal fans? The callow youth went and asked his masters. Came back and said they didn't have those blocks and WBA must have sold them to our fans.

I walked away laughing.

It annoys me too. I imagine the answer is that WBA demand they are sold in that order unfortunately. You'd expect our own ticket office to realise that though...

For me personally, get train to New Street, walk to Moor Street station (about 5-6 minute walk), then theres trains every 10 minutes to The Hawthorns- easy access- but also on the way, can get off at Jewellery Quarter- very nice pubs there.

Very envious of all you guys going to this - I still loveth the FACup and as with the other oldies have great memories of 1976 there.

Currently "baby sitting" the grandchildren in Melbourne for a couple of months ( for the second time this season) - so I'm even more envious of the real ale recommendations (having said that, the craft beer scene is getting better every time we come out). Birmingham was a desert for real ale in the early '70's (having been a student in the midlands for a while) and that's what forced me to be an early member of CAMRA.

Unlikely that I'll be up in time to listen to the commentary on SaintsFC - but I'm getting quite excited that we could get a result.

I expect we'll sell quite a few tomorrow once the go on he general sale but even then when A3 is sold out they'll start selling A6 so no rush to get tickets.

It annoys me that the direct Southampton to Birmingham cross country trains are so expensive with no group save option, it's often cheaper to go via London.

If going on direct service split your ticket Southampton to Banbury (can use Network railcard for that leg of journey) then buy Banbury to Hawthorns separately. Saves quite a bit that way and you can stay on same train for whole journey to Birmingham New Street.

Tickets booked for area A6 - never been to WBA and intend to drive. Can anybody recommend parking areas?

Seems between £3-£5

Car Parking

Street parking or alternatively there are a few private matchday car parks at some local industrial units near the ground, or at Hawthorns station which costs £4. David Dougal a visiting Sunderland fan informs me; 'I parked at the Beeches Road Methodist Church (B70 6QE) at a cost of £5. It is covered by CCTV and is about a ten minute walk away from the Hawthorns. It was easy to get back on the M5 from the car park once the match is over.' Just around the corner from the Vine pub on Roebuck Lane is a St John's Ambulance Depot that offers matchday parking for £3. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Hawthorns Stadium via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: B71 4LF

Tickets booked for area A6 - never been to WBA and intend to drive. Can anybody recommend parking areas?

Seems between £3-£5

Car Parking

Street parking or alternatively there are a few private matchday car parks at some local industrial units near the ground, or at Hawthorns station which costs £4. David Dougal a visiting Sunderland fan informs me; 'I parked at the Beeches Road Methodist Church (B70 6QE) at a cost of £5. It is covered by CCTV and is about a ten minute walk away from the Hawthorns. It was easy to get back on the M5 from the car park once the match is over.' Just around the corner from the Vine pub on Roebuck Lane is a St John's Ambulance Depot that offers matchday parking for £3. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Hawthorns Stadium via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: B71 4LF

Sure, I recommend the following:

Beeches Road Methodist Church (B70 6QE) at a cost of £5. It is covered by CCTV and is about a ten minute walk away from the Hawthorns. It is easy to get back on the M5 from the car park once the match is over. Just around the corner from the Vine pub on Roebuck Lane is a St John's Ambulance Depot that offers matchday parking for £3. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Hawthorns Stadium via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Sure, I recommend the following:

Beeches Road Methodist Church (B70 6QE) at a cost of £5. It is covered by CCTV and is about a ten minute walk away from the Hawthorns. It is easy to get back on the M5 from the car park once the match is over. Just around the corner from the Vine pub on Roebuck Lane is a St John's Ambulance Depot that offers matchday parking for £3. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Hawthorns Stadium via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Thanks for this.

This was all sold out this morning for us, West Brom have only shifted around 12k home tickets so far so probably could pick up homies if desired.

Shame that West Brom didnt let us take more on a sale or return basis. Especially as they will have plenty of space around their sections of the ground

I'm in two minds about this game......our Premiership survival is all that should matter and we should not be risking and normal starting 11 player who is not 110% fit.......on the other hand winning and advancing in the cup could give the players a much needed confidence boost that they can still win games and CAN avoid the drop when it comes to league games.....Sod it, play our strongest side and bloody win!!!

I'm fairly certain none of them would trade their cup wins for being in the premier league.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

And Wigan having a great season again this year. More exciting than seeing whether you can get 40pts or 14th in league.

Actually know couple of Birmingham fans who dint give a sh1t about relegation either as had got sick of PL and we’re hoping to win more games,