Consistently breaking our transfer record..

mynameisthehulk

at the moment, I would say it has a lot to do with the rocketing TV deals/money being in the premier league brings

I will eat my own hat if Carrillo is ever as good for us as Lambert was

I doubt many strikers we will sign before I die will be as good as Lambert was for us. Talk about setting the standards high!

at the moment, I would say it has a lot to do with the rocketing TV deals/money being in the premier league brings

We're still waiting for you to eat your own sh!t like you said you would if we made the playoffs in 2007 ;)

he will have to score 28 prem goals in 75 games to be on par, never mind offering a similar all round game...

Rory Delap for £4m.

The stuff that dreams were made of.

(or a hugely underwhelming record buy).

But not quite as disappointing as the back page of the Echo headline from 1986, "Saints sign World Cup star"...... thoughts of Maradona, Burruchaga, Rummenigge, Beardsley even, but oh no, Colin Clarke.....

Not a record signing and in fairness to the lad he did well for us the following season, 20 goals or so, but not quite the headline act I was hoping for.

Wind forward 30 plus years, and not much changes.....

A pretty high standard to set, someone of Lambert's calibre but younger would be £50 million plus in today's market, look at Chelsea scrabbling around for target men.

Rory Delap for £4m.

The stuff that dreams were made of.

(or a hugely underwhelming record buy).

But not quite as disappointing as the back page of the Echo headline from 1986, "Saints sign World Cup star"...... thoughts of Maradona, Burruchaga, Rummenigge, Beardsley even, but oh no, Colin Clarke.....

Not a record signing and in fairness to the lad he did well for us the following season, 20 goals or so, but not quite the headline act I was hoping for.

Wind forward 30 plus years, and not much changes.....

I remember with Delap when the manager tried to use his long throws as a weapon for attack,the fans turned and gave a lot of abuse to the team and manager about it. Delap left and his long throw became a potent weapon.

I remember with Delap when the manager tried to use his long throws as a weapon for attack,the fans turned and gave a lot of abuse to the team and manager about it. Delap left and his long throw became a potent weapon.

Because Stoke got him to put some elevation on it rather than the flat throw he mostly did for us if I recollect correctly.

A pretty high standard to set, someone of Lambert's calibre but younger would be £50 million plus in today's market, look at Chelsea scrabbling around for target men.

A young Lambert playing to the standard he did during his prem days with us would as you say be easily 50m+ players of that quality are so rare!

Is not a sign that we are consistently signing higher standards of player, it is a sign that transfer fees are consistently on the increase. £19M in today's money is probably the equivalent of the £4M we paid for Rory Delap in 2001.

I'm not sure who this is aimed at. Surely no-one thinks otherwise?

We keep breaking the record, spending large amounts, yet people still moan. The jealousy directed at clubs like Everton and Bournemouth in the summer, now even West Brom. People just never learn, it's all about shiny new toys every single window.

It's always so simple. Defensive problems, sign a new defender. Not scoring enough, sign a new striker. It's never about better management, coaching, tactics, helping players find form, improving fitness etc.

Personally I don't want us to be a club that throws £17-20m on a striker every January, it just shows poor planning. You can't just ditch them whenever they have a bad run or a poor manager doesn't like them. Let other clubs throw millions down the drain, our success has been built on being a more sensible club than the likes of West Ham, but we've let that slip a bit this year with backing Pellegrino.

Our transfer policy has remained signing up and coming talent who'll increase in value though. It's brought us so many good players, some who've gone, some who are still here. I'd far rather we keep doing that than throw massive wages at players on the way down like Rooney, Defoe, Sturridge etc.

Hoedt, Lemina, Carrillo and Promes would make for a season of really high investment. More than we receive for VVD after Celtic's cut and agent fees. They've backed their manager, he had a decent squad and he's added a lot to it. If he still can't even replicate last season's 46 points he's done a pathetic job.

I really don't think it is. It's more about not selling your best players as quickly as we seem to do. Very few top flight clubs sell so many of their best players after such a short spell at their club as we do. We're then left casting around looking for replacements, which in the last couple of years have mostly been inferior ones, and if the accounts are to be believed. spending more money than we receive, for what is ultimately an expensive downgrade.

yet they all end up on the bench. This season we've had Boufal, Lemina and Gabbiadini on the bench at the same time, if Carillo and Promes can be as misused at this lot by the end of feb we could have a bench of 7 with 5 of them record signings. Surely no other club can boast that? #thesouthamptonway

yet they all end up on the bench. This season we've had Boufal, Lemina and Gabbiadini on the bench at the same time, if Carillo and Promes can be as misused at this lot by the end of feb we could have a bench of 7 with 5 of them record signings. Surely no other club can boast that? #thesouthamptonway

Remember, we don't buy talent, we breed it. It's all part of the master plan.

in les we trust

We haven't. We've signed, made people BECOME our best players, then sold for decent prices. A couple of seasons of good form and improvement from players is a great model for a club like us.

Where's the praise for keeping VVD, Bertrand, Cedric in the summer then? It didn't work out too well with endless sulking and players out of form.

Very few clubs sell as many because they simply don't have the players to sell. Our 'looking for replacements' is what got us some of the players who've subsequently been sold on! It won't go as well every time but it's the same strategy we've had years and it's meant years of top half finishes. A poor appointment and underperforming manager doesn't change that.

Exactly right. BUT at some point you do need to keep a group together to see a significant improvement in terms of results/position. Otherwise you are, at best, replacing like with like, and by getting a few signings wrong all the good work unravels.

I realise that there are of course grey areas - if you sign two players for every one sold, you can in theory grow a better team if both those players end up being good or nearly as good as the one they replaced, and you also have a bit of wriggle room if one or two don't work out. In general I think this is what we've tried to do. But the ideal scenario is you sell and sign, sell and sign until you have a solid core group and then you say "right, now lets keep them together for a few years and really have a go at the top group".

You could argue that is what we have done though - and look where it got us... Unfortunately I think we timed it wrong - tried to keep hold of the best players when we were sliding a bit rather than when we were already on the up.

I remember everyone being amazed when we spent £225,000 on Peter Osgood in 1974.

I don't think anyone expected to see Saints spend so much on a single player. I think it was our first six figure signing. We felt we'd joined the big time when it happened.

And we were relegated at the end of that season by the way.

Remember, we don't buy talent, we breed it. It's all part of the master plan.

in les we trust

In fact what with our highest paid player who is has recently been rewarded with a new deal 12 months after signing the previous one and Long with one of the highest costs per goal ROI in premier league history we have a bench to be proud of.