Pellegrino out? Or are we resigned to keeping him?

SaintJackoInHurworth

I was just looking through the forum and it appears that the threads calling for MoPo to be sacked and/or for protests against him seem to have slipped down the pecking order. Is this a sign that we are now resigned to the club keeping him or are some fans now changing their mind? Do fans still feel he should be sacked?

Personally, I wonder if the club are just biding their time for the end of the transfer window so as to not affect any last minute dealings. If that is the case then if we lose (or only draw) against Brighton, maybe we will see some action finally being taken on Thursday?

I am still hoping that MoPo will be replaced by Silva. I answered a 'Voice of the Fans' survey yesterday which I believe will have been published in The Sun today. It was showing that Pellegrino was the manager that most people thought would be next to go.

We are deep in the mire due to this clueless clown, and with the transfer window shutting tomorrow it seems we have to done little to alleviate the problems. Wasting close to £20 million on a non scoring striker seems a strange move, and I have seen next to nothing so far this season that Pellegrino has the nous to get us out of the enormous hole he has dug us in. He should have been gone weeks ago and the new man given the transfer window to bring in players to save us, however our inept board seem to have their collective heads buried in the sand and have not noticed the desperate situation we are in.

He had to go months ago, but I'm now resigned to having him here until at least next season. I also think they'll stick with him if he takes us down.

Agree completely.

And I find myself confused over this. Is he kept on because:

The board think he is a genuinely, very good, long term option for us?

Behind the scenes stuff (e.g. VVD) has had such a big impact that he has been unable to do a good job?

We're so skint/tight-fisted that we can't get rid?

The decision-makers feel they can't be seen to get rid so soon after the Puel cock up?

He had to go months ago, but I'm now resigned to having him here until at least next season. I also think they'll stick with him if he takes us down.

What if he keeps us up, and in the Summer gets to bring in the kind of players he wants to and kicks on from there?

I've fluctuated between both 'stick' and 'twist' over the last few months. I'm currently in a 'stick' frame of mind, as I think there are signs that we *may* have turned the corner in recent games. Of course, that may all change if we fail to pick up at least 4 points in the next two games....

Should've gone ages ago, but I fear the ship has sailed for anyone new to come in and have a fighting chance of keeping us up so I expect he'll stay on.

Apart from being a nice guy, he has no discernible philosophy, still doesn't know his best XI, his in-game management is appalling to the point of being self - destructive, and he hasn't shown anything to suggest he can coax any sort of consistency out of our players.

He's basically been saved by a few plucky draws against top 6 opposition which have all been false dawns as they haven't led to improved results.

Our only hope is that Carillo and hopefully Promes hit the ground running.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm excited by the prospect of him turning the season around. Loyalty works two ways and whether you like it or not he is still our NEW manager. He's already won the same number of games Lawrie Mac won in his first season (which ended in relegation) and he still has 14 games left (and a cup run).

You have to wonder if Lawrie would have survived had social media been around in those days.

I think most people want him gone, but if they're anything like me they've probably realised that he's here to stay unless something goes drastically wrong (one might think going from 8th to 18th is 'drastically wrong' but apparently not) so may as well just get on with it.

I've fluctuated between both 'stick' and 'twist' over the last few months. I'm currently in a 'stick' frame of mind, as I think there are signs that we *may* have turned the corner in recent games. Of course, that may all change if we fail to pick up at least 4 points in the next two games....

Yep. This

Lose the next two and he’s gone. Anything else and he stays (that’s not itk just a guess)

Ever since the original message I got about the club putting feelers out it’s gone very silent, and the club line is he’s our manager so I’m of the opinion that was just contingency management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lose the next two and he’s gone. Anything else and he stays (that’s not itk just a guess)

Ever since the original message I got about the club putting feelers out it’s gone very silent, and the club line is he’s our manager so I’m of the opinion that was just contingency management

If we lose the next two we might as well not bother as he will have well and truly screwed us by then.

I agree with others that the performances in December against the top six sides, apart from the Tottenham calamity, has bought him more time.

I was prepared to give him more time than some even after the poor start of the season against lesser opposition and the Leicester shambles, but after the Palace capitulation and certainly the similar performance against Watford away I believed that he should have gone then.

If we do not get at least 3 points in the next 2 matches and certainly if we loss both and he doesn't get sacked then we will probably have him to the end of the season.

We are in relegation. Last season we finished 8th and almost won a Cup. Why would MP be safe at all? It doesn't matter how we are playing frankly, which still isn't good. Its just not as bad as before. If he loses 2 more matches in a row, while we are already in relegation, then he's got to go. Even 1-1 might do it (unless of course the board doesn't mind going down).

Agree completely.

And I find myself confused over this. Is he kept on because:

The board think he is a genuinely, very good, long term option for us?

Behind the scenes stuff (e.g. VVD) has had such a big impact that he has been unable to do a good job?

We're so skint/tight-fisted that we can't get rid?

The decision-makers feel they can't be seen to get rid so soon after the Puel cock up?

My money's on this one.

We are deep in the mire due to this clueless clown, and with the transfer window shutting tomorrow it seems we have to done little to alleviate the problems. Wasting close to £20 million on a non scoring striker seems a strange move, and I have seen next to nothing so far this season that Pellegrino has the nous to get us out of the enormous hole he has dug us in. He should have been gone weeks ago and the new man given the transfer window to bring in players to save us, however our inept board seem to have their collective heads buried in the sand and have not noticed the desperate situation we are in.

A good summary I'd say.

Agree with this.

There is no evidence we will pick up enough points from the next 14 games to get us out of the bottom 3. We couldn't beat Huddersfield and Palace at home and Watford away all sides who you would call are our relegation rivals.

If he had lost the players as well as the fans he would like Puel have been gone.

His main problem has been not improving the goals scored column which leads people on here who couldn't manage a premier league team in a million years but have wonderful hindsight to criticise his game management and call him silly names.

If you only score 1 goal you are always hanging on at the end. Otherwise the football has been fairly decent.

Mainly been in the stick camp but this about sums things up for me.

He is one hell of a stubborn pr!rk...plays one way, negative! Sitting on a one goal lead is ridiculous in the prem, teams are to good defend against to expect to win with one slim goal. What's more it ****es off the fans. We were promised attacking football. That hasn't happened last year was bad but this year is unbelievable it’s the worst I have ever seen. I was listening to the Spurs game on talk sport and the commentator was saying MP was giving instructions from the side line to change things to Bertrand and Lemina who both just shook their heads in disbelief. I think even the players know he's a complete knob....He needs to go!!!

Sometimes its hard to make a decision which places the emphasis on a previous wrong decision but SFC Board have betrayed the fans by not getting rid of him immediately after the Wolves debacle.Then the Leicester thrashing followed by the Spurs humiliation. How many more of his stupid substitutions does it take to exhibit his incompetence? Ive been a Saint for over sixty years now and have yet to see a more inept Manager.I never want to lose but when we do it hurts.This clown stays in his job because the Board appear to be suffering from pedanticitis big time.Sack him now or Hello relegation.

He should've been given the boot after the Leicester embarrassment.

Agree.

Contingency management - how bad did results and performances have to be to bring about the sack ?

Like you I expect the next two games will decide - but a bit too late in my view.

Contingency management - how bad did results and performances have to be to bring about the sack ?

Like you I expect the next two games will decide - but a bit too late in my view.

I normally take Sun pieces with a large pinch of saxo, but that "4+ points from the next two games or Hughes comes in" line sounded quite convincing to me. But dropping points in those would probably mean we're as good as down anyway looking at our fixture list, so I suppose even then they might stick with him.

I normally take Sun pieces with a large pinch of saxo, but that "4+ points from the next two games or Hughes comes in" line sounded quite convincing to me. But dropping points in those would probably mean we're as good as down anyway looking at our fixture list, so I suppose even then they might stick with him.

Wouldn't want Hughes at the club, so if the four points is correct I hope they're wrong on his potential replacement.

I'm excited by the prospect of him turning the season around. Loyalty works two ways and whether you like it or not he is still our NEW manager. He's already won the same number of games Lawrie Mac won in his first season (which ended in relegation) and he still has 14 games left (and a cup run).

You have to wonder if Lawrie would have survived had social media been around in those days.

Depends when you reckon he actually took over. He says it was at the beginning of the season and the manager designate was a misnomer

If he had lost the players as well as the fans he would like Puel have been gone.

His main problem has been not improving the goals scored column which leads people on here who couldn't manage a premier league team in a million years but have wonderful hindsight to criticise his game management and call him silly names.

If you only score 1 goal you are always hanging on at the end. Otherwise the football has been fairly decent.

I can only assume you're the King of sarcasm because, results aside, the football has been abysmal. Cumbersome, defensively sloppy, slow and without an attacking direction.

Agree with the majority, he's an utterly awful manager in all aspects of the game. If we survive I still hope he's fired because, as said ad nauseam, his teams all play dull defensive football.

It was bad in large patches under Puel, but it was also good on occasion (West Ham away for example), literally non of it has been good under MoPe.

Edited by Greedyfly

I can only assume you're the King of sarcasm because, results aside, the football has been abysmal. Cumbersome, defensively sloppy, slow and without an attacking direction.

Agree with majority, he's an utterly awful manager in all aspects of the game. If we survive I still hope he's fired because, as said ad nauseam, his teams all play dull defensive football.

It was bad in large patches under Puel, but it was also good on occasion (West Ham away for example), literally non of it has been good under MoPe.

This....

Why can’t the board see this?

Pellegrino is an utterly dreadful manager.

it is actually becoming funny watching him in action and having the audacity to claim we are growing as a team.

by some distance, the worst manager in the league and would do well to be out of the bottom 3 managers in the championship. why on earth the club have stuck with him is something we will probably read about in someones book in 10 years time.

palace did it right after a huge mistake

Pellegrino is an utterly dreadful manager.

it is actually becoming funny watching him in action and having the audacity to claim we are growing as a team.

by some distance, the worst manager in the league and would do well to be out of the bottom 3 managers in the championship. why on earth the club have stuck with him is something we will probably read about in someones book in 10 years time.

palace did it right after a huge mistake

Given that Carlos Carvahall, who came from a mid table Championship club, only has one less win than Pellegrino after 5 games in charge, it's hard to disagree with that.

Also makes a complete mockery of the insistence by some that there is no better out there. There are several managers in the Championship that could a better job if only Les were brave enough to dare prise an active manager away.

Maybe too much work for him and wee Ross to do this transfer window with one signing of a reserve player for a club record fee - bet all they want is a nice breather after it shuts today.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk