Transfer Deadline Day thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

So, will it be just the one in, if we can get a fee sorted with Spartak, or will tomorrow herald a surprise addition, as well as or instead of Promes? Will there be a pre-game unveiling of a new superstar or a post game panic buy, if we've messed up against a relegation rival again. Or should we expect "a quiet day at St Mary's" leading to disappointment and derision from the masses? Not long now to find out...

I always start Deadline day optimistic then it gradually dawns on me we will be getting the “quiet evening at Southampton” tweets, unfortunately I think tomorrow could be similar, Transfer wise anyway.

I always start Deadline day optimistic then it gradually dawns on me we will be getting the “quiet evening at Southampton” tweets, unfortunately I think tomorrow could be similar, Transfer wise anyway.

Or we'll scrape through a plan b signing that leaves fans decidedly underwhelmed.

We're struggled to score goals all season, signed a striker, and yet it doesn't feel like we've done nearly enough. We're in a relegation battle, we're second bottom, we've kept faith in a manager who for the most part has looked out of his depth all season, and we've signed one striker seemingly nobody thinks is good enough for our transfer record, whilst losing our best centre back in the process for a world-record fee without seemingly being willing to replace him. Not to mention loaning out a left back only to find ourselves short changed in that position. (But that's just bad luck:rolleyes:)

We've not even been linked with many players recently . There was a brief link to Jullien, Fredericks and Walker-Peters, and the obvious putting-all-our-eggs-in-one-basket attempt at signing Promes, (which doesn't look like it will happen) but little else.

I'm not holding my breath for deadline day, the Promes signing would at least instil a bit of faith and spirit in the fans though, so I really hope we can pull that one off. I don't like a match day on deadline day - it feels like a distraction!

I am definitely concerned. We need a massive win tomorrow and we don’t really seem interested in signing anyone apart from Promes, yet we can’t even agree to pay £5m extra for a player that really would create some excitement.

If we get 3 points tomorrow, I may think a little differently but we need to spend some more money which doesn’t look like it’s likely to happen.

My biggest fear is that we will sign someone like Carrillo and Promes, but ultimately either our system or EPL footie doesn’t suit them. Of course this is always a gamble for any team, but we need fire power to score goals to win games to get points. The next biggest issue is our form...it’s rock bottom and for quite some months I’ve seen nothing to suggest anything has or will change. Not felt this concerned since pre-Markus days about the future of the club.

There's one thing we can guarantee, and that is an underwhelming performance in the game. Producing maybe 1 goal, then sitting on it for the remaining minutes (possibly conceding late on to draw).

After that, I predict a late night scrambling for a transfer (I'm hoping Promes). My only worry is that I'm not sure we have a plan B If the Promes deal falls through.. meaning we'll be left with a very quiet deadline day indeed.

There's one thing we can guarantee, and that is an underwhelming performance in the game. Producing maybe 1 goal, then sitting on it for the remaining minutes (possibly conceding late on to draw).

After that, I predict a late night scrambling for a transfer (I'm hoping Promes). My only worry is that I'm not sure we have a plan B If the Promes deal falls through.. meaning we'll be left with a very quiet deadline day indeed.

If so, I don't think it'll be quiet here. I predict a lot of screaming.

you can see it now. the line from les telling us how hard we tried and the Jan window is an unforgiving event

There is no excuse to not strengthen the squad. They should have been there to come in on Jan 1st. Ridiculous how it’s all come down the scraping around on the last day of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is no excuse to not strengthen the squad. They should have been there to come in on Jan 1st. Ridiculous how it’s all come down the scraping around on the last day of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, the club knew the VVD deal was wrapped up in early December, they had time to identify requirements and make bids for them and all we’ve got is our (tactically inept) managers mate from Argentina. I really want to be proved wrong on Carrillo but everything I’ve seen and read implies he is not the answer to our goal scoring woes.

It will be interesting tonight at the Brighton game if we’re losing with no confirmation of any more transfers.

I reckon with that line from the echo we will get a more underwhelming signing from elsewhere. I don't believe the club would dare not sign anyone else, they know what the reaction will be if they did that.

They already have signed someone the club PR will be that they signed a new record transfer this January and got a world record fee for a CB.

But then who actually takes any notice of club PR...

Swansea's Carvalhal telling it as it is

"I hope this victory will help with their decisions, because so far most don't want to come to Swansea. It is the reality. It is not because of good offers, or we are not trying, the chairman and the board are doing their best, but the reality some do not want to come, some clubs are waiting on other players, so we must wait."

We will not sign Promes, we will lose tonight from a winning position after a baffling team selection and Pellegrino still will not be sacked and all this is because of VVD, he is causing us to implode from Liverpool, his Cloud is huge and will linger for the next five years.

We will not sign Promes, we will lose tonight from a winning position after a baffling team selection and Pellegrino still will not be sacked and all this is because of VVD, he is causing us to implode from Liverpool, his Cloud is huge and will linger for the next five years.

Quite funny....but with an ominous doomsday feel about it.

We needn't have gone through all this. Sacking MP and getting a decent manager in who knows how to get the best from the players we already have over a month ago would have sorted it. It's mystifying why we avoided this route, unless it is to stoke Les' ego and desire to be proved right in being 'honourable' or stubbornly resisting the clamour from the fans after they were so 'wrong' about Puel. Oh well. Here's to a spirited win tonight to lift the spirits. But I'm not optimistic about that

It will not shock me if Promes doesn't happen as it's always seemed a 50/50 chance at best for me. But it would be hugely disappointing if we haven't lined up a decent alternative for a similar type of player given how desperately we need to find more goals in the team in our situation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

They already have signed someone the club PR will be that they signed a new record transfer this January and got a world record fee for a CB.

But then who actually takes any notice of club PR...

I think you'll find plenty on here are obsessed with it, and how it's for the masses, but they're far to savvy to be taken in by it.......

Makes you wonder why the club go to all that effort.

All action Saints on deadline day:

09:26

Southampton might have money to spend after selling Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool for £75m, but will they spend it?

Jane Dougall has the latest from St Mary's, where there's also some hoovering going on ahead of tonight's clash with Brighton...

This time tomorrow we’ll have a better idea of what Mr Gao brings to us.

The usual Take Away Menu, with a Special offer on Pork Balls, Peking Style

Katherinas's got her Money, and Gao didn't bring ANY for investment

With Les Reed in charge, and his son raking in loads of Agents Fees ( he is an Agent) what did anyone expect

As I have said many times, Saints Dreams died with Marcus's passing

After this evening, perhaps others will see it too

Why the hell have we left it all to the last day?

We have probably tried to conclude it sooner, but the selling clubs know that if they delay it until the last day then they can exploit our desperation. Other clubs avoid this by just paying well over the odds upfront to begin with.

Every single window, so many fans at every club saying this.

They just assume clubs haven't thought of signing players early, assume they know more about the workings of football transfers. Why???

It's pretty self explanatory isn't it? Players want the best move. Selling clubs want the best fee. Selling clubs need replacements. Buying clubs want their best targets.

All those variables mean whatever the deadline is, a lot of deals will be done late on as options run out, as time runs out.

Take Promes. It's January 1st, we offer say, £25m. Why do the club accept it when they have a month to try and get more? Why does the player push it when his agent might get him a better club to move to? Why does the agent accept it when he has time to push for more money?

All true, its not rocket science is it?!

Also - be careful what you wish for - all those fans baying for Puel out - 8th and a cup final don't seem so bad now

Go on twitter. every club, the same line. every window.

Why are all these people not successfully running football clubs?

we were in a position of strength. we could have bought promes 1 Jan. paid his release clause and had him playing in the last couple of weeks.

Could we? Source???

Why would Promes commit to one club immediately when he might have got a better move? Why would his agent not shop around and try to get a better deal, more money? Why do you assume Spartak haven't been trying and failing to find a replacement all month?

I can't get my head around how thousands of football fans think they know all about football transfers and it turns out it's really simple...yet dozens of top clubs apparently just don't take their advice.

could have met his release clause. found out if he wanted to sign the first week of Jan. he obviously does all reports suggest he has agreed terms with us.

of course. spending weeks not meeting the release clause and this is what you get

Does anyone think we'll have any alternatives lined up?

Complete arrogance again from the recruiters.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Well according to our amazing black box we know of every player that plays professional football so we should find an alternative.

Problem is we we don’t know how to get a deal over the line unless we have over a month to sort it.