Anyone else comfortable with relegation?

Batman

Why would we be in financial ****? This isn't last time. Our finances are decent and we'd bring in a serious amount of money selling off the majority of the squad.

Am I mistaken in thinking there's no more parachute payments? If so, we'd have to sell most of our players unwilling to accept paycuts. The chinese owner will have to pay off his massive loan somehow too and not being in the premier league will turn him into a man primarily concerned with self-preservation.

Any club relegated takes a huge financial hit. Of course we'd be in a **** position.

Edited by Disco Stu

Am I mistaken in thinking there's no more parachute payments? If so, we'd have to sell most of our players unwilling to accept paycuts. The chinese owner will have to pay off his massive loan somehow too and not being in the premier league will turn him into a man primarily concerned with self-preservation.

Any club relegated takes a huge financial hit. Of course we'd be in a **** position.

you are

Promoted clubs who are relegated after a single year in the Premier League will no longer benefit from full parachute payments from the 2016-17 season. The change in the rules means that the promoted clubs, Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich, will miss out on a year of parachute payments if they go straight back down at the end of next season.

The parachute payments system is also changing so that the money – at least £64m – will be distributed to relegated clubs over three years rather than four. Clubs who go back down after a single year in the Premier League will get only the first two years of payments rather than the full three years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

you are

Promoted clubs who are relegated after a single year in the Premier League will no longer benefit from full parachute payments from the 2016-17 season. The change in the rules means that the promoted clubs, Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich, will miss out on a year of parachute payments if they go straight back down at the end of next season.

The parachute payments system is also changing so that the money – at least £64m – will be distributed to relegated clubs over three years rather than four. Clubs who go back down after a single year in the Premier League will get only the first two years of payments rather than the full three years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

Well that helps. Not much consolation.

People have a dream vision of our team next year in the championship, stripped down to the best players and youth coming through and proving themselves in the first team. An exciting squad of hungry players keen to prove themselves and exciting football week after week. History tells us that what we get is a bloated squad of average players on big wages, youth team players who don't quite prove to be what we hoped and end up playing for Salisbury and a slow decline over a few seasons.

What is it that people think we have that will separate us from the other teams when we go down? Most of what's good will be gone by the end of the summer, the rest will probably continue to disappoint.

People have a dream vision of our team next year in the championship, stripped down to the best players and youth coming through and proving themselves in the first team. An exciting squad of hungry players keen to prove themselves and exciting football week after week. History tells us that what we get is a bloated squad of average players on big wages, youth team players who don't quite prove to be what we hoped and end up playing for Salisbury and a slow decline over a few seasons.

What is it that people think we have that will separate us from the other teams when we go down? Most of what's good will be gone by the end of the summer, the rest will probably continue to disappoint.

64 million in parachute payments...

you genuinely don't think we can buy new players when we go down? we are just going to sell up all our decent players and get no new ones? There are no guarantees of course but relegated teams who have spent some time in the PL should have the financial muscle to get back up providing the will is there from those running the club. A lot of teams that come down like Sunderland and Villa are a mess behind the scenes, with **** poor infrastructure and big debts Saints to the best of my knowledge aren't in that boat.

Edited by doddisalegend

If we go down, the squad we will be left with will be something like this : -

Forster, McCarthy

McQueen, Targett

Bednarek, maybe Yoshida or Stephens

Davis

Hesketh, Sims

Gallagher

How does that compare to the backbone of the promotion squad ? We would stuggle to get mid table in the Championship.

I know that the EPL now consists of 6 teams at the top, one or two teams that make a good start to the season and flirt with 7th and the rest. It's not good, but what are the alternatives.

Add to that, the fact that there is nothing in the acadamy

Gallagher

Forster, McCarthy

McQueen, Targett

Davis

Hesketh, Sims

Gallagher

How does that compare to the backbone of the promotion squad ? We would stuggle to get mid table in the Championship.

I know that the EPL now consists of 6 teams at the top, one or two teams that make a good start to the season and flirt with 7th and the rest. It's not good, but what are the alternatives.

Gallagher

So we want to go right down to League 1 is that the plan ?

We keep regurgitating this same old question and here is the same old answer. Relegation will be an absolute disaster. It's no good looking at it through rose tinted glasses we could and probably will end up like Leeds, Blackburn, Wigan and a hot of other once proud premier League teams that have little hope of ever returning to the top flight. I've followed the Saints since they were only ever a second and third divison side and it wasn't very fulfilling being a fan of a failed team. As I have posted before many fans of my age group may never live long enough to see them in the PL again and that is not a prospect that any of us can accept.

Be Very Bloody Careful what you wish for lads, very careful indeed.

Forster, McCarthy

McQueen, Targett

Davis

Hesketh, Sims

Gallagher

Gallagher

So we go down sell most of the team, keep a few youngsters and buy no new players at all..... well yes in that scenario we would be ****ed

I have no problem with it as it’s a great feeling winning loads of games in that league.

My biggest problem is I know the reason why we are going down and yet the board keep backing him.

The board dont keep backing him financially do they ?...............

Weve only signed one player this transfer so far and id be absolutly gutted if what seems the enevitable happens.Works going to be a pain in the neck .

We keep regurgitating this same old question and here is the same old answer. Relegation will be an absolute disaster. It's no good looking at it through rose tinted glasses we could and probably will end up like Leeds, Blackburn, Wigan and a hot of other once proud premier League teams that have little hope of ever returning to the top flight. I've followed the Saints since they were only ever a second and third divison side and it wasn't very fulfilling being a fan of a failed team. As I have posted before many fans of my age group may never live long enough to see them in the PL again and that is not a prospect that any of us can accept.

Be Very Bloody Careful what you wish for lads, very careful indeed.

No one is wishing for relegation you blithering idiot.

It wouldn't be an "absolute disaster", that's just hysterical nonsense.

I live in a city that has a club with a proud history that have been in the Championship non stop for years and years now, have had a few near misses.

Their fans still turn up, still support the club, pack it out every Boxing Day, live for their fierce local derby, none of them are suicidal. Keep believing, keep supporting, love the club. You know, like normal football fans.

That's what I'll do if we drop. Live goes on.

What's disappointing is we shouldn't be down there, and this idiot manager is going to send us down before our time.

No one is wishing for relegation you blithering idiot.

It wouldn't be an "absolute disaster", that's just hysterical nonsense.

I live in a city that has a club with a proud history that have been in the Championship non stop for years and years now, have had a few near misses.

Their fans still turn up, still support the club, pack it out every Boxing Day, live for their fierce local derby, none of them are suicidal. Keep believing, keep supporting, love the club. You know, like normal football fans.

That's what I'll do if we drop. Live goes on.

What's disappointing is we shouldn't be down there, and this idiot manager is going to send us down before our time.

Your last sentence is the thing.

Not at all a stupid question by Batman.

It's a question I'm sure that we are all asking ourselves so does need asking.

Also, some good discussion is occurring here so far.

I actually enjoyed Championship/L1 as I could afford to go to aways and had more of a chance of getting tickets.

Had some excellent days out. Found some good pubs too without the overcrowding you get in PL

Of course, I don't want it to happen but its not the end of the world!