Is there anyone on here who wanted Puel out who now regrets it??

OldNick

What does fans on a messageboard have to do with him being sacked?
fans in general. It was not only on here but twitter etc etc. as well as at the stadium.

The were many factors to the club getting rid of him, as well as his own decision not to change

It is interesting that the fans wanting Puel out are still adamant .It shows he was in an untenable position with us and so sadly the club were right to get him gone.

Booing a 0-0 draw against Utd (a game where we missed a peno ) was a low for me. I left the ground thinking "who the hell do we think we are". The bloke would have needed to hit the ground running this season, that's for sure. Anyway, it's history. The important thing is to get behind the team now and leave the inquests till the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don’t think puel would have done any better this season. There is no way he could have stayed once he lost the dressing room.

He’s a good enough manager, just wasn’t suited to us.

If you’re asking if I’d rather have Puel or MP, then Puel every day of the week. But I don’t regret wanting him out

Last Saturday on Gillette Soccer Saturday, MLT said that the Birmingham decision to sack Rowett was the most bizarre sacking he could remember. Birmingham did at least manage to stay up last season. Southampton's recent managerial change is now looking far more stupid and ten times as catastrophic......

Last Saturday on Gillette Soccer Saturday, MLT said that the Birmingham decision to sack Rowett was the most bizarre sacking he could remember. Birmingham did at least manage to stay up last season. Southampton's recent managerial change is now looking far more stupid and ten times as catastrophic......

Went to Birmingham last night for the game and speaking to a Blues fan there were strong rumours that Rowett had been touting himself around.

You need to get over yourself, getting rid of Puel isn’t the problemo. The problem is MoPe, he’s **** and almost anyone (including Puel) would do a better job I’d imagine. Does that mean people regret getting rid, no. It’s the club who decided to hire MoPe, if the fans were wishing his appointment, then maybe you’re have a point about blaming fans but we didn’t.

I think he'd have done better in is second season. But I remember passionately hating the way we were playing (bar the cup final) and thought it was probably bright to get rid in the end. Felt bad for him after he went.

I, along with most, didn't for a second think his replacement could be any worse...

Oh how wrong we were.

It is interesting that the fans wanting Puel out are still adamant .It shows he was in an untenable position with us and so sadly the club were right to get him gone.

I’m adamant, he was poor but Pellegrino is the worst manager I’ve ever seen. Even Paul Cook, Paul Wotton or even Andy Awful would struggle to be worse.

No, it doesn't prove anything. Nothing MoPe has done, or will ever do, at Saints will change the past and what I saw under Puel.

His position wasn't untenable but the pressure on him stemmed purely from the teams he played. In the beginning people accepted the low tempo football, mixed results and squad rotation because of the busy fixtures but once Puel had tamely navigated his way out of Europe, things just got worse. I remember belting performances from the likes of J Rod and Clasie, only to see them dropped from the match day squad for the next game.

Playing for a 0-0 at home to Hull... f**k me sideways!

No.

I didn't appoint Pellegrino. I didn't ridiculously choose to stick with him.

If you accept poor performance just because you're terrified it could get worse, you're screwed. Worse, you're Alpine.

Youd want to be like Watford with the constant sackings?

No, it doesn't prove anything. Nothing MoPe has done, or will ever do, at Saints will change the past and what I saw under Puel.

His position wasn't untenable but the pressure on him stemmed purely from the teams he played. In the beginning people accepted the low tempo football, mixed results and squad rotation because of the busy fixtures but once Puel had tamely navigated his way out of Europe, things just got worse. I remember belting performances from the likes of J Rod and Clasie, only to see them dropped from the match day squad for the next game.

Playing for a 0-0 at home to Hull... f**k me sideways!

We had some decent chances and wouldve have won that if once again Long wasnt shyte.

As the thread says. The Puel out thing divided the fans. I still feel cheated that he was sacked, I wanted to see him develop our team, and felt he was badly let down. Especially after the way he took us to Wembley, and finished in a decent position. A place to start from to get us even higher perhaps. He would have known our need for a goalscored and hopefully would have filled that gap.

The Puel outs obviously will say they didn't want Pelligrino, but that's always the risk when you want change. You can only roll the dice so many times and get lucky.

should have let sturrock get on with the job.

fans in general. It was not only on here but twitter etc etc. as well as at the stadium.

The were many factors to the club getting rid of him, as well as his own decision not to change

i distinctly remember the fans wielding control over the board's hand and demanding that puel be replaced by someone worse. the message was clear.

And which club in the Prem did he go straight on to do well with?

not the point I was addressing. just that sturrock wasn't working (largely because of the players) but nobody (apart from the players) would have asked for steve wigley in replacement.

I have a season ticket and I didn’t think it was right.

Away performances showed there was something to work on, as was his work with some of the younger players. I thought he had an average squad of players to work with and people are absolutely deluding themselves if they thought we could get anywhere near the top 6. I thought some of the names thrown about as a replacement were fanciful and took the line better the devil you know.

However my main concern with sacking him is the message it sent out and the knock on effect this will have for the future. Whether people like it or not sacking him was seen as madness by the outside football world, including his fellow managers. Puel, thinking he was safe in his job, may have made some decisions based on the long term interests of the club. Jack Stephens replacing VvD, Sims & McQueen getting game time. He appeared to be giving youngsters a chance, following the “pathway” stuff we preach about. You can only do this if you’re not working for a trigger happy chairman. What’s a future manager going to do, take a risk or play it safe . If his jobs on the line after a few bad results , he’ll revert to the tried and tested. I genuinely believe given time and a decent goal scorer Puel would have done a cracking job and we’d be seeing 3 or 4 of our own playing regularly each week. If I was wrong and the season didn’t pan out like that, and the 0-0 stifling bore draws continued, then he’d have fully deserved the sack. But to bin him so early was gutless and wrong. It was the time to stand by the manager, to back him. Frankly it was the time to do exactly what we’re doing now. We chucked a decent manager under a bus and are standing by a poorer one now.

This ^^^.

It wasn't the fans who got him sacked, it was probably certain players because he lost the dressing room. If so, we know who to blame, and is a carbon copy of the Sturruck -> Wigley disaster.

Were probably going to be relegated now, which is incredible with this team.

Do I think we would have been relegated with Puel this season? Definitely not, especially with some of the poor teams around us that we have essentially now become one of.

So in that sense, yes, I regret his sacking.

But as others have said, it was probably the right call with the way the season ended - nobody can have anticipated that we'd have gone for MP - a guy who really had no track record to speak of. At least with Puel you knew he had some tactics nous and experience.

Our desire to be 'clever Southampton', look how smart they are with their left field appointments that work so well (have basically worked once with Poch) has come back to bite us hard.