Is there anyone on here who wanted Puel out who now regrets it??

OldNick

As the thread says. The Puel out thing divided the fans. I still feel cheated that he was sacked, I wanted to see him develop our team, and felt he was badly let down. Especially after the way he took us to Wembley, and finished in a decent position. A place to start from to get us even higher perhaps. He would have known our need for a goalscored and hopefully would have filled that gap.

The Puel outs obviously will say they didn't want Pelligrino, but that's always the risk when you want change. You can only roll the dice so many times and get lucky.

No because he didn't have the pre season at Leicester to castrate them as he did us. Give him the summer, then we will see whether he has the sense to leave well alone, or do it his way. He took a sixth place team that had been on a tremendous run at the end of the previous season, changed completely the way it played and made it the most unenjoyable season for years, until this clown easily surpassed that with the easiest starting fixtures we have had in years. Unless things change could relegate us.

I was in the 'in' camp for most of the season. However by the end of the campaign there were undoubtedly some issues, and my main concern was that he had "lost the dressing room". That was the tipping point for me, and I figured the board would have insight into that, so was happy to go with whatever they decided. I was moderately pleased when he left, as it suggested there was an underlying issue, and the obviously good replacement we had lined up would improve things, but also thought the way it dragged out for such a long time was as disgraceful as it was unprofessional.

Clearly, now I wish we'd kept him instead of getting Pellegrino. But I think the real mistake was not finding someone with a better track record in the things that the Puel side was apparently lacking (attacking football, pressing being two that spring to mind). I'm not sure it's necessarily about being 'lucky', even if that comes into it. Selecting a manager isn't a random choice, but a product of planning and research.

No, I regret the board appointing the clown we replaced him with.

Exactly this.

Need to get past the Puel thing; all the inidcators were there at the end of last season that he would have done equally as badly.

The players and the tactics have been imposed by Uncle Les.

Which is why i want Gao, Krueger, Reed and MoPe out.

Puel did remarkably well in his quiet unattractive way, nothing similar to say about this chap. Of the two, Puel is definitely the better but I am really disillusioned that we couldn't make a far more positive appointment in the first place, now who will want to come near us?

No. Puel was very poor at Saints, but did enough early on to secure a decent position, which made things look OK, but underlying was a very poor points total and terrible form after the LC Final. Lost the dressing room, played dull, uninspired football at the end of the season. Just because he is currently doing well at Leicesater with what is still largely the 2016 PL Champions squad and under very different circumstances does not mean it wasn't right to get rid. Different managers have different outcomes in different circumstances. Look at Koeman. It wasn't working and thankfully our bumbling Board could see that. What they replaced him with was of course a different matter, but that doesn't make it wrong to have taken action when they did. It will be interesting to see how Puel gets on next season, especially if Mahrez leaves. leicester's football is not exactly inspiring anyway, but their results are of course very good.

I didn't like Puel's style of football, for that reason I wanted him gone. Any regret would be that I probably overvalued the quality of our players, and in hindsight he was an average manager getting average results out of an average team. Since MP has been in, we appear to have a clueless manager getting terrible results out of an average team.

You can quote me on this next year when we qualify for Europe under MP. :-)

Never wanted him sacked. As far as I was concerned we had a decent manager last season given some bad tools to work with. Instead of keeping said decent manager and giving him the right tools we sacked him replaced him with a clown and still didn't sort out the dodgy tool kit.

This. Should have been given more time.

Boo fcking hoo stamp your feet like a 3 year old what do you want I told you so? I'm right your wrong nananana.

No I don't regret it one bit...we shouldn't have appointed Puel in the first place do I now win?

why the aggression Ron? I agree we shouldn't have appointed Puel in the first place. I had never heard of him and he was underwhelming. I gave him a chance and felt he was left out to dry by not giving him a goalscorer. I was hoping he would have had the summer to rectify the goalscoring problem, and us push on.

The club were also wrong to keep putting him in front of the cameras when it was patently obvious nobody had a clue what he was saying, this annoyed us as a fanbase.

Never have the club appointed a manager that really inspired me, we don't get the choice but each time we sack someone there is always a risk we get a dud. Sadly this time it looks like that has happened but on sunday we may think the club has done ok by keeping their nerve.

The players seem to be fighting for him and so we might have a smll chance of riding the storm. Then comes the summer, what then????

Definitely not. The football under Puel was dire and I have not forgotten the feeble European campaign nor the gruesome capitulation to Arsenal in the FA Cup before a ball was kicked.

This.

I can count the number of Puel games I actually enjoyed watching on one hand. By the end of the season we were playing for 0-0s at home to some bang average teams and aside from the cup final, we never really got close to beating one of the big teams.

Never wanted him sacked. As far as I was concerned we had a decent manager last season given some bad tools to work with. Instead of keeping said decent manager and giving him the right tools we sacked him replaced him with a clown and still didn't sort out the dodgy tool kit.

This would've been my preferred option as well.

I don't miss Puel, indeed I blame him for part of the current team's demise.

I don't miss him at all, he was manager when the true rot set in. He has to shoulder some of the blame. He was just as poor tactically as Pellegrino but he had a far better squad.

How was his squad better? He was without Van Dyke and Austin most of the season

why the aggression Ron? I agree we shouldn't have appointed Puel in the first place. I had never heard of him and he was underwhelming. I gave him a chance and felt he was left out to dry by not giving him a goalscorer. I was hoping he would have had the summer to rectify the goalscoring problem, and us push on.

The club were also wrong to keep putting him in front of the cameras when it was patently obvious nobody had a clue what he was saying, this annoyed us as a fanbase.

Never have the club appointed a manager that really inspired me, we don't get the choice but each time we sack someone there is always a risk we get a dud. Sadly this time it looks like that has happened but on sunday we may think the club has done ok by keeping their nerve.

The players seem to be fighting for him and so we might have a smll chance of riding the storm. Then comes the summer, what then????

Because whats the point of the post? The board decided top sack him same as the board decided to not appoint better candidates, same as the board went for a poor manager in Pellegrino.

I am sick of reading about Puel because after the cup final at home he was sh1t and refused to change. He was asked to change in pre-season he refused so was sacked how is any of that fans fault? Will 100 fans on a forum saying I am sorry Puel was a god bring him back?

I am a bit touchy because I don't want my club to be in this state and no realisation or ability to get out of it. On the face of it we are bloody clueless...why when we had it so good...was that luck?

We shouldn't be anywhere near this mess and by my reckoning at least 11 points lost through clueless tactics and subs yet on we go....why when 96% want him gone if that worked for Puel why now when it was nowhere near that figure for Puel out....because the statement it was the fans is b/s and posts like these do nothing but inflame it.

If we go down I won't be as upset as I was in 2005 because this time we may clear out the deadwood and go forward - we may of course go the way of Villa

I was in the 'in' camp for most of the season. However by the end of the campaign there were undoubtedly some issues, and my main concern was that he had "lost the dressing room". That was the tipping point for me, and I figured the board would have insight into that, so was happy to go with whatever they decided. I was moderately pleased when he left, as it suggested there was an underlying issue, and the obviously good replacement we had lined up would improve things, but also thought the way it dragged out for such a long time was as disgraceful as it was unprofessional.

Clearly, now I wish we'd kept him instead of getting Pellegrino. But I think the real mistake was not finding someone with a better track record in the things that the Puel side was apparently lacking (attacking football, pressing being two that spring to mind). I'm not sure it's necessarily about being 'lucky', even if that comes into it. Selecting a manager isn't a random choice, but a product of planning and research.

Yeah, that just about sums up my feelings on the situation.

Now that I've seen Saints play under Pellegrino, and also read about his managerial style at previous clubs, it seems incredible that the club thought he would be an upgrade on Puel.

I wanted Puel out and I don't regret it, although I do wish him all the best at Leicester. Sometimes the club and manager are just not suited and I believe that we did not really have the type of players for Puels brand of football. generally his brand of football was to all defend and then hit the opposition on the break............something that he is very succesful with at Leicester with the likes of Vardy.

This is why we had so many rubbish turgid games especially towards the end of the season and we went so long with out scoring at home. Glad he`s gone yes happy with what we have ended up with NO

I wanted Puel out and I don't regret it, although I do wish him all the best at Leicester. Sometimes the club and manager are just not suited and I believe that we did not really have the type of players for Puels brand of football. generally his brand of football was to all defend and then hit the opposition on the break............something that he is very succesful with at Leicester with the likes of Vardy.

This is why we had so many rubbish turgid games especially towards the end of the season and we went so long with out scoring at home. Glad he`s gone yes happy with what we have ended up with NO

As opposed to now where we do the same without the hitting on the break bit ...

No regrets atall, he was a dull manager (with one or 2 exceptions) and I personally wasn't bothered to see him go. Was it 6 home games without a goal? Didn't blame the board for giving him the boot.

However I will give you he's a world beater compared to the current incumbent if that's what you're fishing for.

Doesn't mean I want Puel though.

I was Puel 'in' until about a week before he was sacked. I rated him as a man, I thought he was intelligent, tactically aware and a good manager. I moved to the 'out' brigade because I was worried that, for whatever reason, he was failing to get results and showed no signs of turning it around. I lost faith in him a bit as the manager of Southampton, but I was still confident that he was a good manager. Ideally, he'd have had a strong run towards the end of the season like Koeman tended to do, and we'd have finished the season with more confidence about us.

With MP2, it's different. I've never once had confidence in him. I was there for the first game against Swansea, and alarm bells rang that day for me. Puel was defensive, but knew when to try and kill a game off. MP2 doesn't go in for the kill - ever. The only reason we beat Everton so comprehensively is because they were so woeful, and we had an in-form Austin who was being allowed to score goals like it was a training drill.

The only positive I've seen recently is the Spurs game, where the players did appear to be fighting for the manager. I'm sure he's a great guy, but I'm still waiting for him to make his case as manager of this club, because so far it just hasn't happened.

In answer to the original question, I don't regret wanting Puel out. Nothing for me showed that the follow up season was going to be any better. The problem was in the appointment of his replacement.

I do feel, however, that Puel was very poorly treated by the club, and that the negative press that surrounds the board regarding his sacking is justified.

Anyone who had a season ticket last year, and had to sit through game after game of utter boredom....would say it was the right thing to do. However, I do wonder if we a look a bit silly now to the wider football world.

I have a season ticket and I didn’t think it was right.

Away performances showed there was something to work on, as was his work with some of the younger players. I thought he had an average squad of players to work with and people are absolutely deluding themselves if they thought we could get anywhere near the top 6. I thought some of the names thrown about as a replacement were fanciful and took the line better the devil you know.

However my main concern with sacking him is the message it sent out and the knock on effect this will have for the future. Whether people like it or not sacking him was seen as madness by the outside football world, including his fellow managers. Puel, thinking he was safe in his job, may have made some decisions based on the long term interests of the club. Jack Stephens replacing VvD, Sims & McQueen getting game time. He appeared to be giving youngsters a chance, following the “pathway” stuff we preach about. You can only do this if you’re not working for a trigger happy chairman. What’s a future manager going to do, take a risk or play it safe . If his jobs on the line after a few bad results , he’ll revert to the tried and tested. I genuinely believe given time and a decent goal scorer Puel would have done a cracking job and we’d be seeing 3 or 4 of our own playing regularly each week. If I was wrong and the season didn’t pan out like that, and the 0-0 stifling bore draws continued, then he’d have fully deserved the sack. But to bin him so early was gutless and wrong. It was the time to stand by the manager, to back him. Frankly it was the time to do exactly what we’re doing now. We chucked a decent manager under a bus and are standing by a poorer one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I have a season ticket and I didn’t think it was right.

Away performances showed there was something to work on, as was his work with some of the younger players. I thought he had an average squad of players to work with and people are absolutely deluding themselves if they thought we could get anywhere near the top 6. I thought some of the names thrown about as a replacement were fanciful and took the line better the devil you know.

However my main concern with sacking him is the message it sent out and the knock on effect this will have for the future. Whether people like it or not sacking him was seen as madness by the outside football world, including his fellow managers. Puel, thinking he was safe in his job, may have made some decisions based on the long term interests of the club. Jack Stephens replacing VvD, Sims & McQueen getting game time. He appeared to be giving youngsters a chance, following the “pathway” stuff we preach about. You can only do this if you’re not working for a trigger happy chairman. What’s a future manager going to do, take a risk or play it safe . If his jobs on the line after a few bad results , he’ll revert to the tried and tested. I genuinely believe given time and a decent goal scorer Puel would have done a cracking job and we’d be seeing 3 or 4 of our own playing regularly each week. If I was wrong and the season didn’t pan out like that, and the 0-0 stifling bore draws continued, then he’d have fully deserved the sack. But to bin him so early was gutless and wrong. It was the time to stand by the manager, to back him. Frankly it was the time to do exactly what we’re doing now. We chucked a decent manager under a bus and are standing by a poorer one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some may write to disagree, but I have to agree with every word, especially about damaging the club's image, going forward.

No regrets atall, he was a dull manager (with one or 2 exceptions) and I personally wasn't bothered to see him go. Was it 6 home games without a goal? Didn't blame the board for giving him the boot.

However I will give you he's a world beater compared to the current incumbent if that's what you're fishing for.

Doesn't mean I want Puel though.

Didn't that last run of games include three missed penalties?

I also think that given the lack of goals this season you have to question why we weren't scoring the answer always seems to come back to the **** poor finishing skills of our forward line, two different managers, same inability to actually finish our chances.

I wanted Puel out at the end of last season.

The terrible football we played in the last 5 home games last season was the deciding factor in me not renewing my season ticket after 15 years. It was painful to watch. There were other factors - cost, spending time with my kids, dad too old to go regularly anymore - but it was the key factor. I'd stopped enjoying it and couldn't justify the commitment in time or cost.

And I was more than a little p*ssed off at Puel for the way we got knocked out of the Europa League and the FA Cup.

But I always though he was the wrong manager with the wrong squad - and something had to change. Unfortunately we changed the wrong thing - or perhaps we only changed the one thing when we needed to change two things - the manager and the players.

If we'd have kept Puel as manager with the same squad we'd probably still be struggling this season. But if we'd kept Puel and backed him in the summer with new players - the striker or two, the ACM/No.10 and the central defender most of us think we still need - I think we would comfortably be top half - possibly top 10.

Would I take Puel right now over Pelligrino? Yes I would.

In hindsight Puel set us up to protect the centre of defence and keep possession - as he knew we couldn't score and couldn't defend - and that was why it was so boring to watch.

Did fans frustrations and slow rate of season ticket renewals play a part in his dismissal -undoubtedly. But I have a feeling the key thing was he refused to change the way we played unless Reed and Co gave him the players to do so - and I expect they said no you've got a great squad, we've got a great model, play the 'Southampton Way' or go which is why they parted ways.

I think he'd lost key players in the dressing room as well though - but maybe they were players we should have sold on and replaced.