Relegation Chances

Saint86

I won't deny that. But I was right and that is undeniable. I never set out to win the popularity stakes, just to tell it as it was.

Let's put it this way, you'd have made a small fortune at the bookies.

If you'd started with a enormous one.

thank **** for that. Although I get the impression some on here would prefer a 'high intensity' 3-2 defeat to a classic Pellegrino 0-0 draw. We are just about hanging in there. Next two games our our biggest for the last three years

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Palace have got Chelsea next and Stoke have Man City. Saturday is a great opportunity for us to put some distance between us and the bottom three, *if* we can get the win. Big *if*.

We've had so many chances this year. Not holding out much hope!

I predicted the trend downwards way before anyone and was castigated. People are singing my tune now. I was the pied piper.

You predicted a relegation battle for us in each of the last 3 seasons.

It' seems like it's how you follow Saints - by constantly predicting disaster and then feeling good if there's a chance it might actually happen.

I pity you.

We would have got at least a point against Man Utd, Palace threw it away. Those vital draws could be all-important, we just have to keep picking up points.

Doesn't help they've been ravaged by injuries pal. In many respects MP has been lucky to have a squad with a pretty clean bill of health

I won't deny that. But I was right and that is undeniable. I never set out to win the popularity stakes, just to tell it as it was.

It is deniable, you were plain wrong year after year.

So if I say, mark my words, the Queen looks a bit ragged, she's really slowing down, she'll abdicate this year. Then I keep saying it year after year until she either dies or steps down, would I by right in gloating and saying how right I was that she was declining and that I predicted it?

No, of course not, I'd be a total droning cretin, just like you!

I actually feel a bit sorry for Palace tonight who gave it a go to the end and got hit by a great strike from a £40m player.

Agree with what someone said about Benteke though, I guess his legs had gone but it's pretty sorry when a player won't run for a ball (like Mane wouldn't before his transfer).

I actually feel a bit sorry for Palace tonight who gave it a go to the end and got hit by a great strike from a £40m player.

Agree with what someone said about Benteke though, I guess his legs had gone but it's pretty sorry when a player won't run for a ball (like Mane wouldn't before his transfer).

Bit like us up at City!

You mean the trend downwards where we finished higher than the season before for 7 years in a row?

Bloody hell, if you're going to troll, at least put some effort into it.

But there is no trolling on this site, because it is expressly banned.

The mods make absolutely sure of this.

Here are the average points of each team's remaining opponents

Leicester 34.56

Burnley 35.00

Arsenal 35.44

Liverpool 36.22

Crystal Palace 36.67

Chelsea 36.89

Man City 37.00

Newcastle 37.89

Everton 38.44

Tottenham 38.56

Bournemouth 40.11

Swansea 40.56

Man Utd 40.67

Huddersfield 40.67

Southampton 41.00

West Brom 41.78

Watford 42.67

West Ham 44.89

Stoke 45.67

Brighton 47.33

Although we do have a tough schedule, there are teams with tougher fixtures than us. Stoke are in big trouble, Palace might just get out of it, as should Newcastle. West Ham will be down there, as will Huddersfield, and don't rule out Brighton dropping down either.

Here are the average points of each team's remaining opponents

Leicester 34.56

Burnley 35.00

Arsenal 35.44

Liverpool 36.22

Crystal Palace 36.67

Chelsea 36.89

Man City 37.00

Newcastle 37.89

Everton 38.44

Tottenham 38.56

Bournemouth 40.11

Swansea 40.56

Man Utd 40.67

Huddersfield 40.67

Southampton 41.00

West Brom 41.78

Watford 42.67

West Ham 44.89

Stoke 45.67

Brighton 47.33

Although we do have a tough schedule, there are teams with tougher fixtures than us. Stoke are in big trouble, Palace might just get out of it, as should Newcastle. West Ham will be down there, as will Huddersfield, and don't rule out Brighton dropping down either.

There are probably at least 8 teams with fans convinced they're going down this season.

There can be exceptions of course, but goal difference is a decent indicator of teams out of position.

Our football might not be pretty, but it's been more effective than three other teams so far this season in terms of picking up points, and probably a bit unlucky not to have picked up more.

...and don't rule out Brighton dropping down either.

I'd been thinking that for months cos their run-in is truly horrific. But that Arsenal win changed it all for them.

They've still got a couple of winnable games (I think Home to WBA is one of them) and will surely get to 40pts.

We would have got at least a point against Man Utd, Palace threw it away. Those vital draws could be all-important, we just have to keep picking up points.

What on earth makes you think we would have got “at least a point” against United? There’s zero chance we would have been 2 goals up in the first place!

You mean the trend downwards where we finished higher than the season before for 7 years in a row?

Bloody hell, if you're going to troll, at least put some effort into it.

He can't be a troll. The mods would have done something about it by now if he was, I'm sure.... ;)

No Zaha is the key for Palace. He's missed nine games this season and they've lost all nine. They've got more character than us but they're desperately lacking some depth at the moment so I think they'll go down.

West Brom are already sunk effectively, but I'd still have us as favourites for 18th with the clown in charge. Stoke under Lambert will continue to sh*thouse their way to safety, purely on the basis that we're marginally worse than them - because they actually win the odd game at home.

Just saw the Palace v Man Utd result and then came over to read this thread, scrolling back a few hours. Thanks for the retrospective entertainment. A Saintsweb classic :)

Just done the same, classic entertainment. Saints still have to actually win a match though........

Er didn't some pitch invade and confront their players?

Also last season they went ape **** too if I remember right after playing Sunderland.

Think you have dreamt up this notion that they sit there happy whatever is happening.

There was also that time Papa Soure (recently returned after being out for a year following horrific leg injuries sustained in a car crash) handed his shirt to a Palace fan in the stands after a league cup loss, and the fan threw it back at him...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/25/pape-souare-has-crystal-palace-shirt-thrown-back-fan-following/

Tonight was a relief but it shows we can't keep relying on other teams to shape our destiny this season, especially with Brighton all but guaranteeing their safety yesterday against the mighty, sorry shytey, Arsenal. Our fate is still in our own hands, we just need Pellegrino to gain some sort of tactical nous in the next 48 hours to have a fighting chance. From the bottom up, my guess:

- WBA are down. If they survive now then that's the biggest Boing they'll have ever experienced.

- Stoke have enough defensively IMO to scrape their way to safety. Whether they have enough in attack is another issue.

- Palace's defeat tonight will hurt them more than help them. Yes they were 2 up against United at home, but to then lose 3-2 will deflate them. And still no Zaha. They have attacking personnel but lack defensive reinforcements, although that youngster looked very good tonight, Aaron whoeveritwas.

- We can't buy a win, our home form is atrocious, but it might be our saving grace that we play more away now. Huge week coming, 5 points from the three games (incl. Stoke) would be a start. Any less and we're destined for the drop IMO. Beat both Newcastle and West Ham? Well that's dream land, and would set us up for safety.

- Newcastle are a bit hit and miss. Beat us and they'll be fine IMO, and with Benitez in charge they should be beating us tactically. Lose to us and they'll be close to the drop come the final day. Draw? Meh. I'd only take it if you guaranteed me a West Ham win.

- Huddersfield have showed character this season, seem to have a decent manager and have a couple of decent players. But will inexperience cost them?

- West Ham are, I think in real trouble. Short of defensive reinforcements, and with tough fixtures to come.

- Swansea and above will be safe IMO. Swansea have showed enough under Carvahal with some good attacking displays, Bournemouth on 33 points will be fine under their resent resurgence, and Everton under Sam will plonk their way to enough points for mid-table obscurity, although that won't be enough for Everton fans. Brighton are long gone - I think they spent wisely in the last two windows (if not further back).

I think Stoke, Newcastle and Huddersfield will be safe. I believe it'll be West Ham, Palace and Us or West Ham for the drop. The West Ham game is now insanely massive. They'll fancy their chances against us IMO - is Carroll fit? Yes just checked. Well that's a bit of a relief. It's definitely shaping up to be a "last day of the season" relegation battle. Which of course, for us, is a City-sized problem. Even on the beach wearing flip flops they could beat us.

If we do survive, do we celebrate it? Do the players whoop and cheer? It doesn't feel like something worth celebrating really...

No surprise to me. Called it a couple of years ago. I was bang on accurate.
The only surprise to me is that you are still allowed to freely troll this site. Knob.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tonight was a relief but it shows we can't keep relying on other teams to shape our destiny this season, especially with Brighton all but guaranteeing their safety yesterday against the mighty, sorry shytey, Arsenal. Our fate is still in our own hands, we just need Pellegrino to gain some sort of tactical nous in the next 48 hours to have a fighting chance. From the bottom up, my guess:

- WBA are down. If they survive now then that's the biggest Boing they'll have ever experienced.

- Stoke have enough defensively IMO to scrape their way to safety. Whether they have enough in attack is another issue.

- Palace's defeat tonight will hurt them more than help them. Yes they were 2 up against United at home, but to then lose 3-2 will deflate them. And still no Zaha. They have attacking personnel but lack defensive reinforcements, although that youngster looked very good tonight, Aaron whoeveritwas.

- We can't buy a win, our home form is atrocious, but it might be our saving grace that we play more away now. Huge week coming, 5 points from the three games (incl. Stoke) would be a start. Any less and we're destined for the drop IMO. Beat both Newcastle and West Ham? Well that's dream land, and would set us up for safety.

- Newcastle are a bit hit and miss. Beat us and they'll be fine IMO, and with Benitez in charge they should be beating us tactically. Lose to us and they'll be close to the drop come the final day. Draw? Meh. I'd only take it if you guaranteed me a West Ham win.

- Huddersfield have showed character this season, seem to have a decent manager and have a couple of decent players. But will inexperience cost them?

- West Ham are, I think in real trouble. Short of defensive reinforcements, and with tough fixtures to come.

- Swansea and above will be safe IMO. Swansea have showed enough under Carvahal with some good attacking displays, Bournemouth on 33 points will be fine under their resent resurgence, and Everton under Sam will plonk their way to enough points for mid-table obscurity, although that won't be enough for Everton fans. Brighton are long gone - I think they spent wisely in the last two windows (if not further back).

I think Stoke, Newcastle and Huddersfield will be safe. I believe it'll be West Ham, Palace and Us or West Ham for the drop. The West Ham game is now insanely massive. They'll fancy their chances against us IMO - is Carroll fit? Yes just checked. Well that's a bit of a relief. It's definitely shaping up to be a "last day of the season" relegation battle. Which of course, for us, is a City-sized problem. Even on the beach wearing flip flops they could beat us.

If we do survive, do we celebrate it? Do the players whoop and cheer? It doesn't feel like something worth celebrating really...

Decent summary mate. Agree with a lot of that

It's so frustrating when you see that Newcastle, Huddersfield, West Ham, Swansea, Palace, Bournemouth have all managed a win against a 'big' team this year.

We can't even do that. Sod the plucky draws against Utd away or Spurs/Arsenal at home, those should have been wins.

Will we do Chelsea at home? No, because we'll be more worried about them and that will be the game done. Teams have beaten the 'big boys' this year by showing no fear and playing on the front foot. Where on earth has this conservative/fear of losing approach got us? Adrift in 18th place. Surely that answers the question in terms of the approach and if it's actually working.

Someone wake this club the **** up.

I said this ages ago. All the bottom half with the exception of us and WBA have beaten one of the top 6 teams I think.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think we will win again in the prem this season. I can't see us getting anything from Chelsea, Man City, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Bournemouth or West Ham. West Ham have lost their last three games 1-4, 1-4, 0-3 but you watch us lose to them!!

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think we will win again in the prem this season. I can't see us getting anything from Chelsea, Man City, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Bournemouth or West Ham. West Ham have lost their last three games 1-4, 1-4, 0-3 but you watch us lose to them!!

Considering the surrender (64 seconds) to Newcastle. A draw or two could be there if we get lucky.

It seems the club are relying on none of the three worst clubs to not get the results to get above us.

Considering the surrender (64 seconds) to Newcastle. A draw or two could be there if we get lucky.

It seems the club are relying on none of the three worst clubs to not get the results to get above us.

Huddersfield v Crystal Palace; West Ham v Stoke; Stoke v Crystal Palace; Swansea v Stoke.

Those are four fixtures where our nearest rivals are playing each other and therefore someone will necessarily pick up points. That ignores all the other potentially winnable games they have (e.g. vs Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, West Brom).

Only a mad man would see picking up a few draws as a viable route to survival.

Unfortunately, it seems that's exactly what we have...

I kinda want Palace to beat Hudd in a 'lose the battle, win the war' kinda way, even though we will plunge into the bottom 3 and have 2 weeks to do nothing about it.

Palace have the easier run in. Zaha is back early and the have a banker home to WBA on the last day. That's 3 pts to their total already. And they have mid table teams like WAT and BOU.

I reckon we'd have to win 3 of our last 8 to even have a chance to finish above them.

Hudd have a bit of fight about them but they are awful. And I still think their manager is naive. And their last 4 che (a) EVE (H) man c (a) and ARS (H) is pretty nasty.