Saints 1 Brighton 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

FFS. A schoolboy wouldn't have made the mistakes in selection that this manager has been making since the start of the season. He has been picking one striker, unfortunately he left the only goal scorer out for the first dozen games, then brought him in and lo and behold he scores goals then gets injured. His biggest cock up is to think the second line of attackers is going to score goals.

Davis, Tadic and JWP are ball recycling midfielders not forwards. Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lamina should be our midfield which would allow us to play three forwards, Boufal if you like but not for me, Carillo leads the line and until Austin is fit play Gabbiadini on the left and Long on the right with any two of the midfield supporting helped by the full backs. When Austin is fit he has to come in and play off Carillo and probably Gabbiadini sacrificed with Long playing either side.

Last night the manager ****ed up big time. If he had to play 4-2-3-1, which in itself was stupidity leaving £70m of buys on the bench, Carillo should have been up front, Long, Lamina and Boufal/Gabbiadini. I'm afraid Davis is a liability we cant afford and JWP and Tadic are too slow to put through. Davis showed his stupidity late in the second half, picked up the ball in the centre circle and for once broke the first line, Carillo immediately made a great run, I'm yelling pass it, it's crying out for a quick ball in front of Carillo to break the last line and put him in, the prat decides to run 25 yds with the ball as the defence backs off, leaving no space for Carillo's run and the pass is stifled. A great chance ****ed up.

The substitutions were stupid, it was the right idea he had to do something but instead of going for it but, he ****ed up big time again and played safe, that ****ing worked didn't it?. Tadic, JWP and Davis off. Lamina, Carillo and Gabbiadini on and go 4-3-3 and batter them, we only scored because JWP messed up and scuffed the free kick which luckily missed everybody and went to Stephens to back heel in. How lucky was that. We can't buy a goal from play because of the stupid selections, obsession with possession and one striker.

Get rid of the incompetent clown. He is a typical coach, obsessed with possession and timid with it. He is not a manager and his team selection show that apart from the theory he hasn't a clue about what makes a team work. It's not systems, it's shape and balance using the players to make the best team possible. Picking the popular system of the year and sticking five midfielders and one striker in it just won't ****ing work and never will work..

Edited by derry

FFS. A schoolboy wouldn't have made the mistakes in selection that this manager has been making since the start of the season. He has been picking one striker, unfortunately he left the only goal scorer out for the first dozen games, then brought him in and lo and behold he scores goals then gets injured. His biggest cock up is to think the second line of attackers is going to score goals.

Davis, Tadic and JWP are ball recycling midfielders not forwards. Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lamina should be our midfield which would allow us to play three forwards, Boufal if you like but not for me, Carillo leads the line and until Austin is fit play Gabbiadini on the left and Long on the right with any two of the midfield supporting helped by the full backs. When Austin is fit he has to come in and play off Carillo and probably Gabbiadini sacrificed with Long playing either side.

Last night the manager ****ed up big time. If he had to play 4-2-3-1, which in itself was stupidity leaving £70m of buys on the bench, Carillo should have been up front, Long, Lamina and Boufal/Gabbiadini. I'm afraid Davis is a liability we cant afford and JWP and Tadic are too slow to put through. Davis showed his stupidity late in the second half, picked up the ball in the centre circle and for once broke the first line, Carillo immediately made a great run, I'm yelling pass it, it's crying out for a quick ball in front of Carillo to break the last line and put him in, the prat decides to run 25 yds with the ball as the defence backs off, leaving no space for Carillo's run and the pass is stifled. A great chance ****ed up.

The substitutions were stupid, it was the right idea he had to do something but instead of going for it but, he ****ed up big time again and played safe, that ****ing worked didn't it?. Tadic, JWP and Davis off. Lamina, Carillo and Gabbiadini on and go 4-3-3 and batter them, we only scored because JWP messed up and scuffed the free kick which luckily missed everybody and went to Stephens to back heel in. How lucky was that. We can't buy a goal from play because of the stupid selections, obsession with possession and one striker.

Get rid of the incompetent clown. He is a typical coach, obsessed with possession and timid with it. He is not a manager and his team selection show that apart from the theory he hasn't a clue about what makes a team work. It's not systems, it's shape and balance using the players to make the best team possible. Picking the popular system of the year and sticking five midfielders and one striker in it just won't ****ing work and never will work..

Little or no creativity with those changes. Unless you're expecting knock downs, goal mouth scrambles and other route-one shenanigans.

Little or no creativity with those changes. Unless you're expecting knock downs, goal mouth scrambles and other route-one shenanigans.

We had 66% possession worth of creativity and didn't create anything. Those three midfielders should dominate midfields and get quick supply and follow up support to the forwards or bring the full backs into play. If we do go front to back as we often do, as soon as the 66% possession goes back to our keeper it mostly goes route one to the opponents back four. I'd prefer the option of the early through ball or over the top or diagonal over the top option without the backward option, with three proper forwards up to try and win it.

Edited by derry

I've needed nearly 24 hours to cool off after that last night. I've never been so angry with a starting line up, and the first half was a total and utter shambles. There really is no words bad enough for that opening 45 minutes.

I've needed nearly 24 hours to cool off after that last night. I've never been so angry with a starting line up, and the first half was a total and utter shambles. There really is no words bad enough for that opening 45 minutes.

Agree exactly with this LGTL. As soon as I saw the teamstuff read out I was angry inside. I was like how can you leave 4 of our most expensive signings out of the side! Not even justified in a must win game. Just bloody clueless! How the board can put up with seeing that I will never know.

Agree exactly with this LGTL. As soon as I saw the teamstuff read out I was angry inside. I was like how can you leave 4 of our most expensive signings out of the side! Not even justified in a must win game. Just bloody clueless! How the board can put up with seeing that I will never know. As soon as he made those 2 changes at half time we were a lot better - no coincidence that.

Agree with this completely. That was the final straw with Pellegrino for me.

Tonight's result and the transfer window's final statement that no one has been signed, sums up that Southampton Football Club as we supporters have known all our lives, is dead and has been anilalated by the incompetence of Les Reed.

The only way of bringing about change is to stay away, to not attend games, leaving St Mary's empty

Staying away is the only means to bring about change and show that the supporters have had enough.

An empty stadium will show Mr GAO very clearly that the supporters are not happy.

It will send a loud message that Kruger and Reed have been bull sh*tting him.

STAY AWAY IF YOU LOVE Southampton Football Club

At last, someone talking with a bit of sense. this is the ONLY way the fans can get rid of Pellegrino.

You are not being disloyal, quite the reverse. If you love your club you will do it. If not then stop moaning and put up the the inevitable consequences.

It would not take long. As soon as "The powers that be" see an empty stadium things will begin to happen. It probably wouldn't get to three total boycott's of home games for Pellegrino to be relieved of his job.

So it's really down to you the fans. Will you do it for the sake of your club?

I wrote before the game started when I saw the team sheet that it must be deliberate.

I was thinking "tax write-off", but this would fit.

If something like this is the case, the PL were indeed right in not thinking him a fit an proper person, and then would come into question as to whether we can be accused of throwing games.

The point then comes if you start thinking "betting syndicate", and then everything jumps to a whole higher level of seriousness......

Gao is the Emperor Dalek !!! The Emperor Dalek is proving the Dalek right!

Tonight's result and the transfer window's final statement that no one has been signed, sums up that Southampton Football Club as we supporters have known all our lives, is dead and has been anilalated by the incompetence of Les Reed.

The only way of bringing about change is to stay away, to not attend games, leaving St Mary's empty

Staying away is the only means to bring about change and show that the supporters have had enough.

An empty stadium will show Mr GAO very clearly that the supporters are not happy.

It will send a loud message that Kruger and Reed have been bull sh*tting him.

STAY AWAY IF YOU LOVE Southampton Football Club

Sorry, seemed to have cocked up my post, so here it is again.

At last, someone talking with a bit of sense. this is the ONLY way the fans can get rid of Pellegrino.

You are not being disloyal, quite the reverse. If you love your club you will do it. If not then stop moaning and put up with the inevitable consequences.

It would not take long. As soon as "The powers that be" see an empty stadium things will begin to happen. It probably wouldn't get to three total boycott's of home games for Pellegrino to be relieved of his job.

Shurlock

You’ve been crying out for two strikers up top; now you’re not happy. Make your mind up pal.

Is Long a striker? You could have fooled me. I thought that to be a striker it was a prerequisite to be able to score goals.

Edited by Wes Tender

Shurlock

Is Long a striker? You could have fooled me. I thought that to be a striker it was a prerequisite to be able to score goals.

I think Long would give us so much more playing from right wide with Carillo in the centre and Gabbiadini coming off the left so there would be minimum two together in the middle.

just surprised we were not signing ' your getting the sack in the morning'

that team selection was cowardly , then we seem to have a new striker who's stats say he'll score heaed goals yet don't recall him winning a header that led to either an attempt on goal or pass to a team mate

we need to go back to 4-3-3 , last night I really struggled to join in any of the singing , if the fans arn't inspired by the team selection god knows how the players feel

I think Long would give us so much more playing from right wide with Carillo in the centre and Gabbiadini coming off the left so there would be minimum two together in the middle.

I've thought for a long time Long's best position is wide right - pace and width with a reasonable cross. Those three with a Boufal 10 ing it would sharpen the attack straight away, particularly with a new Manager. I know there are a lot of people talking up JWP in that wide role, but he doesn't offer any direct running, pace or width - he comes infield, or rushes into the box, all of which loads up the pressure on Cedric and leaves us exposed on the counter attack.

Sorry, seemed to have cocked up my post, so here it is again.

You are not being disloyal, quite the reverse. If you love your club you will do it. If not then stop moaning and put up with the inevitable consequences.

I am still waiting for everyone to turn around on the 76th minute wearing their clown suits?

I've thought for a long time Long's best position is wide right - pace and width with a reasonable cross. Those three with a Boufal 10 ing it would sharpen the attack straight away, particularly with a new Manager. I know there are a lot of people talking up JWP in that wide role, but he doesn't offer any direct running, pace or width - he comes infield, or rushes into the box, all of which loads up the pressure on Cedric and leaves us exposed on the counter attack.

You'd rather play long than Jwp ? Have you seen their goal and assist stats this season !?

You'd rather play long than Jwp ? Have you seen their goal and assist stats this season !?

Yes, I'd rather play Long in the position that JWP has been occupying - wide right. I'd rather have a better quality player (like Promes or Walcott out there) but in their absence I would have a pacey player like Long or Gabbiadini rather than Ward-Prowse, which I think is the point Derry was making. I know JWP has been doing "better" with his couple of goals and the occasional corner and free kick - but he is just not a wide attacking midfielder. THe lack of pace in our forward players is largely responsible for our turgid attack this season. That and a diabolical Manager.

What a joke, went to the game and can't remember a single chance we created all game other than the Bertrand shot from the corner. Horrible football again and saved even further embarrassment by a pretty lucky goal.
People are being very unfair to Stephens, if a player in the top 6 had scored it people would be ****ing over it and replaying it. Was a great finish.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

JWP, Tadic and Davis cannot take a pass from the defence and outpace the defence, all they do is come inside and end up in passing it round sideways and backwards, or go to ground. Give long an early ball with space to run into, he will outpace the defender as per our two goals at Watford. He is also fairly good crossing. He also gives us a physical presence which without him we lack.

Davis, JWP, Tadic and Boufal are players we cannot consider as goal scorers playing with one striker. We are where we are because of their selection every match plus the equally ineffective Redmond, now out of favour it seems.

People are being very unfair to Stephens, if a player in the top 6 had scored it people would be ****ing over it and replaying it. Was a great finish.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I think the luck wasn't Stephens scoring it was JWP's appalling scuffed delivery hitting a Brighton player and being deflected to Stephens.

I think the luck wasn't Stephens scoring it was JWP's appalling scuffed delivery hitting a Brighton player and being deflected to Stephens.

I've just watched it back again and my view is that JWP deliberately hit the ball in low.... yes, it was a bit scuffed but I think the ball pretty much ended up where he intended it. IMO of course.