Saints 1 Brighton 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

Just got back from game, poor for periods of first half, much better 2nd half with attacking substitutions, and thought we deserved to win. I hate the negativity on this forum, which appears often to come from 'fans' who don't go to games. It's starting to creep into the stadium. I sat in Kingsland block 33, and there was much more grumbling than support from most around me. Yes, we are in big trouble, but if the fans turn against the team (booing at half time etc), we are digging our own grave. We have one new player, and looks like we're sticking with the manager. So, what are you, a supporter getting behind your team, or someone who turns up to moan?

Pellegrino, you are not welcome to this forum.

other than our goal, we had 2 shots on target. none of which were in the 1st half (which was expected with such a Petherick line up)

horrendous. absolutely horrendous

lemina, Gabbiadini, Carrillo and Boufal all started on the bench.

fuking joke. thumbs ups to the transfer committee

Honestly, have we given up already...?

You may be right but i will not give up on us until its over...

The players have given up, the board too apparently otherwise we would have seen changes in personal (player/management) so I’m more or less resigned after a home draw to a championship club that we needed to win.

We can't break down sides like Brighfon and Watford the manager is at fault he sets the team up I was hoping he would be gone this morning but I think we are stuck with him.

The day has just started. I've got a feeling in my water, today might be the day.....

Just got back from game, poor for periods of first half, much better 2nd half with attacking substitutions, and thought we deserved to win.

1) He had to make 'attacking' substitutions as his preferred 11 and tactics were losing the game.

2) You do not deserve to win if you have 0 shots on target, at home, to Brighton, in the first half of a relegation contenders' shootout.

1) He had to make 'attacking' substitutions as his preferred 11 and tactics were losing the game.

2) You do not deserve to win if you have 0 shots on target, at home, to Brighton, in the first half of a relegation contenders' shootout.

Yes, your second point is the most damning criticism of Pellegrino's "management". How/why he hasn't been paid off weeks ago is the mystery I just can't accept.

The clown set the tone from the outset with his team selection. It killed my optimism for the game as I'm sure it did others. This didn't help the atmosphere at all. I feel the crowd would have got behind a more attacking line up and made a good atmosphere but it was flat from the get go.

I don't know how he can justify lemina being on the bench at the expense of davis. Baffling.

I am not sure why tadic going off was cheered. I felt him and ward prowse were our best chance of creating something. We brought Carrillo on and essentially cut his supply at the same time. I was very disappointed with boufal last night, so little urgency from him and again ineffective from wide. I think we have to stick with tadic and jwp wide. If we use boufal then let's try him through the middle.

Quickly losing hope now.

I don't think we will sack him tonight or tomorrow, but if we lose to West Brom then SURELY that has to be it for him, SURELY. Even Les Reed will have to admit he has got this one spectacularly wrong.

Why even give him West Brom game? I think it’s clear we won’t get a win. It’s just another vital game in which we have wasted.

Assuming we’ve sounded out his replacement, we’ve had enough time to, then that would give him 2 days training to get a plan together for WBA

The players have given up, the board too apparently otherwise we would have seen changes in personal (player/management) so I’m more or less resigned after a home draw to a championship club that we needed to win.
There was no evidence last night that the players have given up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Was at the game last night. Never known SMS so quiet. Wasn't much in the way of booing, other than half-hearted at the end of each half. Everyone seems resigned to the inevitable. Everything so slow and ponderous. Not just Davis - everyone. We spent virtually the whole game passing the ball in front of Brighton, not getting anywhere. It's mainly down to poor tactics and coaching - plus a complete lack of confidence.

We have 5 home games left and 8 away. 3 of the home games are against big six teams - although not sure about Chelsea after last night. Just feels like a relegation season - no fight, just quietly going down. I think that we have a summer of upheaval to look forward to, both on and off the field. Just hope that we can stabilise in the Championship. Going to be tough to get out of it as there are a number of sizeable clubs in that league.

I have clung to the hope that the board wanted the window to slam shut, before announcing the replacement manager, using the excuse that they gave MoPe the best chance, the most time they could afford, but it hasn't worked out.

I fully expected just the one signing in the window, and the new manager to come in after it has closed.

Here's hoping today is the day. But if it is not, then I think my season's depression will reach a new low.

we cannot survive with this guy at the helm, he simply isn't capable of picking up enough points.

Why even give him West Brom game? I think it’s clear we won’t get a win. It’s just another vital game in which we have wasted.

Assuming we’ve sounded out his replacement, we’ve had enough time to, then that would give him 2 days training to get a plan together for WBA

Have we at any time in recent history made aquick purchase of a player or speedy appointment of a manager. If we sacked MP today, they wouldn't appoint a manager until november

I am not sure why tadic going off was cheered. I felt him and ward prowse were our best chance of creating something. We brought Carrillo on and essentially cut his supply at the same time. I was very disappointed with boufal last night, so little urgency from him and again ineffective from wide. I think we have to stick with tadic and jwp wide. If we use boufal then let's try him through the middle.

Quickly losing hope now.

Think you will find that the cheering was more people's shock at a double sub at half time as opposed to 78 minutes and 37 seconds.

That's lucky, I thought we were poor and barely managed to create a decent chance all night, but Pellegrino's just been on to say that we controlled most of the game. Thank goodness for that.
It's true that we controlled most of the game. Which earns nothing.

Would have been good to just control after a devastating opening blitz with Boufal, Tadic and Lemina setting up Carrillo. For some reason that didn't happen. Ah, yes. Three of them weren't on the pitch, which didn't help.

It's always difficult breaking down an organised and packed defence. You need individual moments of skill and lots of movement, neither of which we had in the first half. Better in the second half. That team (roughly) should have started. Boufal tried, probably too hard, but he fought and mainly recovered well when he lost the ball. Carrillo looked promising but not quite sharp enough yet. Where has the Gabbiadini of last season gone? No confidence, no movement.

After Saturday I suggested the one thing MP usually gets about right is the team selection. It's in-game management that is woefully lacking. But last night his team selection cost us.

I'm worried about changing manager this late. November, the writing should have been on the wall, but it's not Les's style to admit he's made a mistake. But I'm equally worried that this one doesn't have the capacity to improve.

I'd say most of the players are still committed and working hard, but I get the feeling they're working for each other, and the club at large, rather than for the manager. Did they come out fired up?

It seems clear to me that the relationship with some players has broken down. Obviously Redmond, probably Gabbiadini, Lemina (or he's injured) and possibly Bertrand. Boufal may go the same way if he doesn't get starts.

It's clear the board have decided to to stick with Pelligrino, and for what it's worth, I think we've missed the window to make a change...who would we get in now? Silva, who would be off as soon as a bigger club came calling? IMO we have a to back the team at SMS, even if you come on here to moan afterwards.

It's clear the board have decided to to stick with Pelligrino, and for what it's worth, I think we've missed the window to make a change...who would we get in now? Silva, who would be off as soon as a bigger club came calling? IMO we have a to back the team at SMS, even if you come on here to moan afterwards.

I honestly don't think anybody cares about what happens beyond this season at the moment. We need a short term fix, regroup and start again in the summer.

I don't think it is too late for a change. A few wins & things will look a lot for rosy BUT will ain't getting any kind of win under this current incumbent!

Silva has proved he makes an impact when joining a new team - who cares if he b*ggers off at the end of the season - Premiership survival is all that matters at this stage!!

We are all agreed Pellegrino won't be able to improve results so he has to go NOW. Appoint Silva until the end of the season (he wouldn't want to be with us long term anyway). Review in the summer.

It's true that we controlled most of the game. Which earns nothing.

I remember Slaven Bilic saying (as a pundit) during the Euros that this idea of "being in control" of a game is a myth if you're only 1 goal up, so needless to say you definitely can't be in control of it if you're not even winning.

You could make a case that Brighton's aim was to stop us creating any chances regardless of how much possession that had to cede. On that basis, you could say that Brighton were in control as they achieved that with relative ease.

Chill out SKD! Things aren't so bad!

Even if we don't beat WBA, as long as we beat Liverpool and Burnley we'll be fine. And if we don't win those, we have four winnable games against Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea and West Ham. And if after all those games we still haven't won, it's not a disaster if we beat Arsenal & Chelsea. And if that doesn't happen, winning the next 3 games of the season might yet be enough to secure survival. And if, after all that, we still haven't won a game, at least we can beat Man City on the last day and say that technically, as they are Champions, we are better than them and we can all go into the summer happy, safe in the knowledge we will win every game in the Championship.

Give Pellegrino time, it will eventually click :rolleyes:

WHY WON'T THEY SACK HIM?

Ok, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but do you think Gao has a relegation clause in his buy out? Say £70M refund if we go down? Add cira £50M from VVD, £20M from TV money and Gates/Commercial etc. Leaves an asset of cira £60M in Championship - not too bad. Sell off more star players (should easily get £60M for Ryan, Gabbi, Ced, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo or some combination thereof). Investment paid off, and start again with kids and decent Champ players with parachute money. Get promoted and sell off for £150M. Probably not but nothing else seems to make sense either!

Gao'ing down!

Brighton are one of the worst teams i've seen but unfortunately despite us having much better calibre of player i'm relieved we got out with a point.

Against a team that wants to defend crosses we decided to knuckle down and shovel the ball out wide at all cost in the hope that their centre backs wouldn't just gobble up the crosses.

I spent most of game annoyed at why we were so reticent to try passing the ball through the middle or running at opposition. Also our safe pass back first mentality is annoying.

Their keeper twice showed himself very weak, yet both times Saints players were completely switched off and unable to capitalise.

Hojberg was good as always this season(& he wasn't subbed for once). Stephens was good too. JWP seemed up for it too. Boufal at least tried to take on a man & won the freekick that led to our goal.

Can't fathom why we didn't start Lemina who was excellent against Spurs.

Carrillo at least showed some gumption, getting stuck in. Still unsure about him & at 20m think we've massively overpaid.

This to me is now crucial. Two minutes after we offload him I want his replacement in place ready to go. If we do the old 'Thanks for your efforts..... a search is in place for a suitable.... SFC will not comment further.....' line, I will go bloody apeshyte.

According to the club the attendance was 30,000.

Not a ****ing chance. 26,000-27,000.

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1996, but I’m unlikely to renew. I hate the way the club is now being run. Two owners that have demonstrated zero leadership or willingness to do what’s best for the club. It feels like the club, fans and sfc staff have been sold down the river. I hated Lowe towards the end of his reign, but at least he communicated.

Ok, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but do you think Gao has a relegation clause in his buy out? Say £70M refund if we go down? Add cira £50M from VVD, £20M from TV money and Gates/Commercial etc. Leaves an asset of cira £60M in Championship - not too bad. Sell off more star players (should easily get £60M for Ryan, Gabbi, Ced, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo or some combination thereof). Investment paid off, and start again with kids and decent Champ players with parachute money. Get promoted and sell off for £150M. Probably not but nothing else seems to make sense either!

Gao'ing down!

I've read some codswallop on here...

And 'not a ****ing chance' there was nearly 6,000 empty seats either.

I'm on holiday so don't know if mine was used. Didn't follow it last night but saw the team sheet. Good bench, I thought, along with a few unprintable thoughts.

Sat in a mountain restaurant warming up and will try to avoid footie for abit but theman is an idiot who doesn't learn.

Gao'ing down!

No, Caveat Emptor.

Was at the game last night. Never known SMS so quiet. Wasn't much in the way of booing, other than half-hearted at the end of each half. Everyone seems resigned to the inevitable. Everything so slow and ponderous. Not just Davis - everyone. We spent virtually the whole game passing the ball in front of Brighton, not getting anywhere. It's mainly down to poor tactics and coaching - plus a complete lack of confidence.

We have 5 home games left and 8 away. 3 of the home games are against big six teams - although not sure about Chelsea after last night. Just feels like a relegation season - no fight, just quietly going down. I think that we have a summer of upheaval to look forward to, both on and off the field. Just hope that we can stabilise in the Championship. Going to be tough to get out of it as there are a number of sizeable clubs in that league.

Everything about us is slow, ponderous and predictable. The players don't even have the confidence to take a quick throwing, FFS, looking around wide eyed until Cedric or Berty show up. Pathetic.

Gao'ing down!

I know its mad isn't it but that thought was mentioned by me last night to our group..irrational, illogical but search me why the decisions are being mad or not in the managers case.

I wrote before the game started when I saw the team sheet that it must be deliberate.

I was thinking "tax write-off", but this would fit.

If something like this is the case, the PL were indeed right in not thinking him a fit an proper person, and then would come into question as to whether we can be accused of throwing games.

The point then comes if you start thinking "betting syndicate", and then everything jumps to a whole higher level of seriousness......

Just got back from game, poor for periods of first half, much better 2nd half with attacking substitutions, and thought we deserved to win. I hate the negativity on this forum, which appears often to come from 'fans' who don't go to games. It's starting to creep into the stadium. I sat in Kingsland block 33, and there was much more grumbling than support from most around me. Yes, we are in big trouble, but if the fans turn against the team (booing at half time etc), we are digging our own grave. We have one new player, and looks like we're sticking with the manager. So, what are you, a supporter getting behind your team, or someone who turns up to moan?

I've been at the games all season and it's been ****. Poor for the first half, but why? Why did we start that way? This isn't a new thing either. 2nd half had a bit more huff-and-puff, but we still lacked any real attacking intent. How many saves did we force the keeper into making?

Keeping the ball and bossing possession between the defence and the midfield does not equal points, someone needs to tell the club that.

Gao'ing down!

I've said before , if we go down he sells the top players and pockets the parachute payments he'll have a championship club for free !