Saints 1 Brighton 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

We are down.

The betting markets think we have a 25% chance of relegation. Definitely a worrying situation. But they believe -- and I agree -- that it's still quite unlikely we go down.

Even on today's disappointing performance, we're a much much better team than Brighton. Carrillo looks really promising and JWP is playing better than I've ever seen him. Boufal, Holberg are exciting. I'm holding onto the belief that we're on the verge of a spectacular comeback. I just don't know whether with MP or someone else.

It will come down to having to beat Man City in the final game, where they are playing their reserves to save their main players for the ECL final.

I suspect it'll long be over by the time we get to the last game.

Continue as we are and we'll be relegated with matches to spare.

You are not agreeing then! Portvliet is a far superior Manager to this imposter.

I do agree, I realised straight away that I should have qualified this with Portvliet would have done better with this bunch of players.

I meant that I haven't felt this worried since those times.

Thankfully the entire bottom half is dreadful and the points to stay up is going to be miniscule.

It's a Bryan Robson at WBA level of sh itness we need to achieve to stay up. So still possible.

Oh, who went down when Robson kept WBA up with 6 wins? Oh dear.

Got to stop playing Davis. Would rather se Hesketh get a chanse. Or play Romeu, Lemina and Höjbjerg.

Lets try a midfield/attack with

Tadic, Romeu, Höjbjerg, Boufal

Gabbiadini, Carillo.

442? Wash your mouth out young man, that is not The Southampton Way. Thou shalt isolate the striker and make him look sh1t - this is The Southampton Way

The betting markets think we have a 25% chance of relegation. Definitely a worrying situation. But they believe -- and I agree -- that it's still quite unlikely we go down.

Even on today's disappointing performance, we're a much much better team than Brighton. Carrillo looks really promising and JWP is playing better than I've ever seen him. Boufal, Holberg are exciting. I'm holding onto the belief that we're on the verge of a spectacular comeback. I just don't know whether with MP or someone else.

The manager sets out his teams to not lose first and foremost. He is afraid of every situation except when he is already losing. We simply won't win any games like this. Meanwhile swansea are beating liverpool etc.

Thankfully the entire bottom half is dreadful and the points to stay up is going to be miniscule.

It's a Bryan Robson at WBA level of sh itness we need to achieve to stay up. So still possible.

Was thinking exactly the same a little while ago, history could well repeat itself. Will be even worse if Jay does for us at the weekend as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Absolutely not good enough. We didn't win a game we needed to win, and we didn't deserve to.

Pellegrino HAS to go now. No possible defence for keeping him in charge. His team selection and tactical approach to this game was criminal.

Starting a home game against a relegation rival with Shane LOng as a lone striker and keeping our 4 most expensive signings ever on the bench,

Playing Steven Davis ahead of Boufal and/or Lemina, and keeping him on at HT after he had been sooo bad, swapping him to a position where he is even less effective.

Simply not good enough. We are going down and we will probably finish bottom. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't win another game this season.

Heads must roll for this. It was all so avoidable.

This, as soon as I saw the lineup, I knew we would not win. Who the hell sanctions our 4 most expensive players being on the bench, why buy them? Davis is a busted flush, not a starter anymore, hasn't been for over a year. Even my wife agreed we were 'not very good' and she hates football. Sack that useless excuse for a manager.

A similar thought crossed my mind too. A couple of mind bendingly sh*te teams are going to stay up this season.

The manager sets out his teams to not lose first and foremost. He is afraid of every situation except when he is already losing. We simply won't win any games like this. Meanwhile swansea are beating liverpool etc.

In fairness Swansea have won two games setting up not to lose they've stuck everyone behind the ball and tried to play on the counter.

It works for a lot of teams. It doesn't work for us because we are ****e, seem incapable of moving the ball quickly when we counter and we do finally get a counter attack right we are left relaying on Shane long to finish the move....

Got to really think that with cash in the bank, over a month to sort it you’d get more than one guy in.

I was also wondering why spend first half with one winger and hopeless crosses to line 5ft 8 striker then second half out on a 6 ft 2 target man but stop crossing the ball. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a crock of sh*te that was. I had my doubts about the starting line up, wondered yet again why we were only playing one striker up top at home to Brighton and that so-called striker being one of the league's least productive goal scorers to boot. The three most expensive players in the squad didn't start again. Once again Pellegrino takes off a strong midfielder, although at least he gambled at last on a replacement with a bit more attacking prowess. Quite what Lemina has to do to get a game I don't know. I suppose that we should be grateful that having scored the equaliser that he didn't set the team up tactically to save the point.

The first half was dire, one of the most boring home matches this season. Brighton were the better team in that first half, wanted it more, won the 50/50 balls, whilst we were pedestrian, lacking movement and desire, passes going astray, very poor altogether. We did pick up in the second half, which wasn't difficult to improve on such a low base, but again we lacked the pace to get the ball into their area before they could get back in numbers.

It really is telling that our CB has scored twice now in a row, that J-WP has also scored twice recently, the odd goal from our other CB, from Romeu, Davis, Hoedt, but hardly a dicky bird from our strikers.

I'm afraid that I've had enough of it. Pellegrino's sacking is now long overdue, it doesn't seem that we are going to address the team's shortcomings in this window, we have had a full month in which to spend the windfall from selling V V-D and frankly it has been an utter shambles. For the first time I say that it is time for major changes at board level for not having the balls to sack this manager and for not filling the gaping holes left in the team from sales of the like of Mane, Pelle and V-VD.

We are going down

Those that went did...where has that got us?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No where , I spent money I could have used better else where , have no voice from singing/shouting all game ! Wish I never bothered tbh

It is simple you cannot draw at home to clubs around you in this situation. I know it is tight in the bottom half, but I honestly cannot see us picking up enough points to get out of it, i really can't.

Not with this manager we won't. You could see tonight that the players just look totally confused on the pitch. At 1-1 they had two choices, become aggressive and push forward for the win knowing they might risk getting caught on the counter; or invite Brighton on and catch them on the counter; they did neither and just passed the ball around in circles. The manager just stood on the side with arms folded shouting at them to get in the box whenever we had a set piece - genius. He's blagged his way into a job he isn't qualified for and our club is going to suffer as a result. It's criminal, a complete cluster**** from top to bottom.

What the hell was that first half performance all about? Absolutely no pace in the team whatsoever and three of our most expensive signings on the bench. This manager still hasn't a clue about his best team is. Club is a complete mess and reed must take responsibility for that. We are as good as down because we can't buy a win in the league either. If pellegrino doesn't go tomorrow morning I'd be amazed.

Leaving Davis on at half time was criminal. Should have been him off for Boufal.

Positive subs but it's all pointless if you're just going to play the same way anyway...

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

And can someone tell me what Lemina has done to be frozen out at £18m? Does the manger not like his hair style?

The positives:

- Hojbjerg best player on the pitch again ... although it's a negative that he's only played 10 games and is already the unbackable favourite for Player of the Season.

- Defenders are scoring goals ... although it's a negative that nobody else is

- JWP had a good game

- Carillo showed some good signs and nice touches

The negatives:

- Lemina sitting on the pine whilst Davis spends 90 minutes literally not doing a single constructive thing?

- Pellegrino has turned Cedric into a slow player (both of foot and mind) whose crosses never seem to beat the first defender. What happened to the dashing fullback who overlapped and provided real threat down the right? Such poor coaching.

- Pellegrino is still the manager

I could go on but it might be repetitive.

I was also wondering why spend first half with one winger and hopeless crosses to line 5ft 8 striker then second half out on a 6 ft 2 target man but stop crossing the ball.

His tactics were certainly niche :)

Maybe the new “5 Pedges Southampton Way” is about moving on from old fashioned managers focussed on getting 3 points, avoiding relegation, entertaining fans, blah blah blah...

Pellegrino doesn’t think that way. He’s an innovator looking for “interesting possibilities”. We had 66% possession tonight. Let’s focus on that! Whoop whoop!

We all know why, it's because Reed has dug himself a hole and is not man enough to own up to his mistakes. Hopefully Gao will realise that it is not just the managers head that should roll.

I think it was Malcolm Tucker that said (I'm paraphrasing) 'If you leave in 6 months it's their fault, but if you leave after a year it's your fault.'

How he is still employed I don't know.

Additionally, I don't understand how we are as big as 4/1 to go down.

12 games without a win. 1 win since October. 13 games to play, 5 at home. 3 of them are Liverpool, Chelsea and City...

I have just watched the post match interview with Pellegrino. We were too slow, too sluggish, he says. Well, you picked the team and were responsible for telling them how you wanted them to play. Either they don't fear your retribution, or they don't respect you, or you don't inspire them. Either way, you are totally useless, incompetent, out of your depth, a waste of space.

Tactically woeful massively out of depth how the board cannot see this......... Leaving best players in bench serving up negative football......

Sack this idiot now!!!!!! He clearly is not going to come good........ Wake up for duck sakes.... Get in so Brody with a bit of balls and passion who can fire is up.