Saints 1 Brighton 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

We're just casually strolling towards relegation and not one single person in the club appears to be at all bothered. We will coast to bottom place without as much as a wimper.

Utterly negligent from our pathetic board.

Seriously, come on, are the club trolling us or something? The whole club seem to be saying ''we tried!! we're not bad, we've still got lots of games!'' Come the end of the season after a defeat to Man City ''we tried, we're not bad, we've still got lots of games..oh ****"

Why did he start that team? Absolutley pathetic. The first half panned out exactly as that formation would allow it to. Sideways, backwards, safe, sideways, backwards, safe. Yet we still flaming conceeded a goal. We looked better in the 2nd half as he was FORCED to make attacking changes, but why on gods name did he not start like that.

The 2nd half was better, but it showed up our attacking options quite glaringly. Loads of the same type, wrong types and not enough pace. Absolute cluster **** from top to bottom.

We're just casually strolling towards relegation and not one single person in the club appears to be at all bothered. We will coast to bottom place without as much as a wimper.

Utterly negligent from our pathetic board.

The "board" when it comes to footballing matters sits squarely as Les Reed.

Just back from the game.

I was encouraged by improved performances over the last few games but tonight felt like a step backwards.

A very average performance against a very average side. Very difficult to see where we're going to get the 4 or 5 wins we'll need to stay up I'm afraid.

Not sure how Davis managed to stay on the pitch for the whole game - he was very poor today. Boufal was equally frustrating - very poor with his choice of final ball tonight and seemed to be disinterested off the ball. Bertrand also back to his "can't be arsed" persona and Hojbjerg seemed to have taken a step backwards too after his recent renaissance. Oh....and Carrillo doesn't look anywhere near a £20m player IMO (but early days on that one...)

We know we're in trouble when someone as pragmatic and glass half full as me starts getting concerned about things!

All that said... IF we get 3 points at WBA then 4 points out of the two games will be a decent outcome. Key word = IF

P.s. we're crying out for a Promes / Walcott type player....

Edited by trousers

Seriously, come on, are the club trolling us or something? The whole club seem to be saying ''we tried!! we're not bad, we've still got lots of games!'' Come the end of the season after a defeat to Man City ''we tried, we're not bad, we've still got lots of games..oh ****"

Why did he start that team? Absolutley pathetic. The first half panned out exactly as that formation would allow it to. Sideways, backwards, safe, sideways, backwards, safe. Yet we still flaming conceeded a goal. We looked better in the 2nd half as he was FORCED to make attacking changes, but why on gods name did he not start like that.

The 2nd half was better, but it showed up our attacking options quite glaringly. Loads of the same type, wrong types and not enough pace. Absolute cluster **** from top to bottom.

Was shocked at how deep Carrillo (who I thought looked decent) had to come to get the ball. The others:

Gabbi: one paced, bereft of confidence

Long: awful, stealing a living as a Premier League striker

Boufal: his decision making is pretty terrible, to slow to release possession or shoot after taking it past someone.

We just don’t have anyone who breaks from midfield, Davis is much too slow and looks like he’s had it now. Hoj tried but his final ball is not there. Wouldn’t have subbed Tadic at half time, he was far from the worst. Thought JWP was very good, at least he looks up for it.

What staggers me is that if I am Les Reed and I saw that team sheet, i'd be furious and on the phone to MoPe right away to ****ing sort it out. I know the DOF isn't supposed to meddle in team selection but if you saw someone walking blindly into traffic you'd ****ing grab 'em...right?

What staggers me is that if I am Les Reed and I saw that team sheet, i'd be furious and on the phone to MoPe right away to ****ing sort it out. I know the DOF isn't supposed to meddle in team selection but if you saw someone walking blindly into traffic you'd ****ing grab 'em...right?

He's the chairman these days....

Not with this manager we won't. You could see tonight that the players just look totally confused on the pitch. At 1-1 they had two choices, become aggressive and push forward for the win knowing they might risk getting caught on the counter; or invite Brighton on and catch them on the counter; they did neither and just passed the ball around in circles. The manager just stood on the side with arms folded shouting at them to get in the box whenever we had a set piece - genius. He's blagged his way into a job he isn't qualified for and our club is going to suffer as a result. It's criminal, a complete cluster**** from top to bottom.
I've kept quiet tonight until now after a barrage of abuse on Saturday. But this is too much to ignore.

Firstly, no I'm not happy with the performance. But, for a change, the manager's main error tonight was the starting eleven, rather than subs.

Surely this was a game to start with strong positive intent? An attacking four of Davis, JWP, Tadic and Long doesn't say that at all.

The second half team is roughly the one that should have started. Maybe with Romeu instead of Davis, although Davis came close to creating a goal at the end.

The players were in no way confused at 1-1. They were looking to push forward and did, indeed, nearly get caught on the break. The advocates of "always play forwards" need to recognise that if a forward pass isn't on, it's more important to keep possession sideways or backwards. Even the best teams do it. But the positive from that second half was evidence of commitment from most of the team. The only player I might exclude was Bertrand, who was way too subdued.

Stephens MOTM, a leader. Boufal tried to do just a bit too much. Carrillo showing promise, with pleasing aggression. Long not at his best, Tadic disappointing. Unfortunately, Gabbiadini invisible. Hojbjerg and Romeu good overall.

Very disappointing. We should have won. But not suicidally bad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think les saw it and remained relaxed and confident that Pellegrino had done a thorough due dilligence on our options and opposition, allowing us to pounce for a well-crafted and masterful equaliser through academy graduate Jack Stephens ... proving, once again to everyone that we don’t buy success, we breed it - “The Southampton Way.”

Not good enough. Nowhere near it. The only positives for me were JWP who had another good game, Stephens and Hojberg too. Good for Carrillo to get a run out. I'm sure he'll improve with game time and playing regularly in the team (if he gets picked of course).

Their keeper had very little to do though. Against a team of Brighton's quality we should have tested their keeper far more than we did. No surprise though. We seem to be able to up our game against the better teams (Spurs and Arse at home and Manure away) but then play sh*t again against teams we should be beating. I know we're only 1 point from safety but we just can't get a win and at no point tonight did we look like we'd get one today. I think we're doomed.

I don't understand Carillo not coming on for Long. Does Long have incriminating pictures of MP?

This is the problem we have though. Long is the only player we have with pace, that's it. So for that reason he kinda has to play, as we haven't addressed that glaring gap in the squad.

Tonight's result and the transfer window's final statement that no one has been signed, sums up that Southampton Football Club as we supporters have known all our lives, is dead and has been anilalated by the incompetence of Les Reed.

The only way of bringing about change is to stay away, to not attend games, leaving St Mary's empty

Staying away is the only means to bring about change and show that the supporters have had enough.

An empty stadium will show Mr GAO very clearly that the supporters are not happy.

It will send a loud message that Kruger and Reed have been bull sh*tting him.

STAY AWAY IF YOU LOVE Southampton Football Club

Seeing shots of those two pompous, arrogant barstewards sat in their woolen bonnets, made me puke. The fact that the transfer window still had several hours, and they were doing nothing to bring good in anyone, sums up just how useless they both are.

Stay away and bring about the changes that are necessary. Only empty seats will force the changes that are needed. Sadly too late to avoid the relegation which now seems our destiny.

We are sleepwalking to the next level, 12 games now and he does just not learn a thing. Criminal to not go for it from there start. We all laughed in the pub at the irony nay the crass ineptitude of our 4 top signings on the bench. Game was not won before we kicked off and it told in the players attitude in that first half. Thank God Brighton didn't cotton on after they scored.

If Reed meddles in team selection then it's to ensure we play players to keep their value up. He did probably did it with Rodriguez, Forster and I'm wondering if the same is true with Redmond. Just seems odd that Pellegrino persisted with the latter two for so long and now they don't get a look in...

Reed shouldn't be meddling with the on-field stuff at all. He has proven he is terrible when it comes to that, so should stick to off the field matters. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be much good at that either, given we can add Promes to the list of transfer debacles we've had.

When Carvalhal joined Swansea (an appointment mocked by many on here), he spoke to all the staff - kitmen, cleaners, cooks etc - about their importance in keeping the morale up with a positive atmosphere at the training ground etc. Regardless of whether you think this is unnecessary, I doubt a manager at Saints would be able to do that, because it wouldn't be in their strict and narrow responsibilities.

Did we get anything right today, as a club.

Terrible work to close the transfer window - we absolutely needed a player just like Promes tonight.

Bizarre team selection against a team we had to beat and we knew would sit back and be tough to break down. Selected a team full of midfielders who rarely show an ability for a creative, non sideways/backwards pass. Left Lemima benched the entire game despite Davis treading water for most of it, as he has done for the past few months. A striker who never scores up top.

But also a set up that really doesn’t allow for us to play with any creativity. When we equalised we still had so much time to get the winner but yet failed to muster a single good chance.

A clueless manager, players lacking direction, best players left out on and off all season, a string of terrible results against teams we should be beating, and a board who seem to think it’s all going to be ok because of some mythical Southampton way and are not prepeared to deliver when it really needs strong leadership, either in terms of adding crucial new blood or putting us and MP out of his misery.

Equals, almost certain relegation

Just got back from game, poor for periods of first half, much better 2nd half with attacking substitutions, and thought we deserved to win. I hate the negativity on this forum, which appears often to come from 'fans' who don't go to games. It's starting to creep into the stadium. I sat in Kingsland block 33, and there was much more grumbling than support from most around me. Yes, we are in big trouble, but if the fans turn against the team (booing at half time etc), we are digging our own grave. We have one new player, and looks like we're sticking with the manager. So, what are you, a supporter getting behind your team, or someone who turns up to moan?

I genuinely think this squad is good enough to finish in the top half let alone finish above the relegation zone. I think most fans/pundits and statos agree. With that in mind SURELY it is obvious that the manager is the issue, and he has to go now, so we can get someone who can move us up the table. Luckily it is so tight that in the space of a few games we could be almost safe, but they can't wait much longer. I really think it is now or never.

Just got back from game, poor for periods of first half, much better 2nd half with attacking substitutions, and thought we deserved to win. I hate the negativity on this forum, which appears often to come from 'fans' who don't go to games. It's starting to creep into the stadium. I sat in Kingsland block 33, and there was much more grumbling than support from most around me. Yes, we are in big trouble, but if the fans turn against the team (booing at half time etc), we are digging our own grave. We have one new player, and looks like we're sticking with the manager. So, what are you, a supporter getting behind your team, or someone who turns up to moan?

Moan.

So people who don’t go games should just shut up them should they?

If Pellegrino continues to make inexplicable team selections, gets his tactics wrong, the team produce limp performances as in the 1st half of today’s game, and if the Board persist with a manager who has not won a single PL games in 12, vocalized discontent at the ground is a perfectly natural response. It even happens at other clubs, but I suppose it’s probably the fault of their non-attending supporters as well.

Edited by Saint Albert
Changed halves