We deserve to go down

Heisenberg

The pure arrogance the club has shown towards transfers and our clown manager.

Club is an absolute shambles and relegation is what we deserve

#wemarchon #fückoffles

Totally agree. This mess didn't start this season but two seasons ago. More people should have spoken up at the time, but I understand that Les led them a merry dance. I was one of the few to see through it.

Totally agree. This mess didn't start this season but two seasons ago. More people should have spoken up at the time, but I understand that Les led them a merry dance. I was one of the few to see through it.

I personally feel that up until 2 years ago Les and the board had gotten little wrong and deserved our trust, unfortunately since then it has been bad decision after bad decision and most of that good work and trust has been completely eroded.

Good leaders admit mistakes and make changes required. If Les and the board don't sack Pellegrino and replace him with Silva then I'd agree that they'd both need to go, if he's sacked tomorrow and silvas in by the weekend I'd be willing to give Les another chance off the back of our progress before the decline started.

#wemarchon #fückoffles

We the fans dont deserve relegation but the arrogance of the board in the keeping of this chump of a manager will get us relegated.......and that to me is so hard to take

We the fans dont deserve relegation but the arrogance of the board in the keeping of this chump of a manager will get us relegated.......and that to me is so hard to take

Yup. Leslie's, "Southampton Way", is going to get rammed down our throats an awful lot in the next couple of months.

It’s the board that are p***ing me off. Part of me suspects that they will have not pulled the trigger with MoPe up until now as they would of known another manager would of wanted plenty of the VVD money for their own players. They probably stringed Pellergrino and us along with the Promes to make it look like they were doing something. Why else would you leave it to the last day and not have a plan B. Watch them sack him tonight now the window has closed and go for Silva who will cost nothing...

I personally feel that up until 2 years ago Les and the board had gotten little wrong and deserved our trust, unfortunately since then it has been bad decision after bad decision and most of that good work and trust has been completely eroded.

Good leaders admit mistakes and make changes required. If Les and the board don't sack Pellegrino and replace him with Silva then I'd agree that they'd both need to go, if he's sacked tomorrow and silvas in by the weekend I'd be willing to give Les another chance off the back of our progress before the decline started.

I'd agree with both of these. While I feel our board in previous seasons has shown how a football club should be run, it now feels like they have convinced themselves that they are the experts and beyond reproach. If they don't wake up and smell the coffee then they have got too big for the club and need to be replaced. Now they are facing the last chance saloon to see whether they can turn things around. In my opinion, their only hope of doing that is to sack Pellegrino and appoint Silva immediately. Otherwise we are ridiculously doomed.

#wemarchon #fückoffles

As much as a lot of your comments are to be taking with a pinch of salt and as a bit of a wind up, I pretty much agree with you on this one.

Spot on.

5 year plan... blah, blah, blah. The club have shown no ambition to push on. A few great seasons and they just started cashing in instead of investing and improving. The fans have been completely mugged off. The owner has lined her pockets and left us with a dodgy Chinese owner.

We should be proud of the work weve done developing players for other teams.

Yes we do. What a sorry state of affairs. We look awful, we play dull timid football, and we refuse to pay the going rate for players, despite selling at a premium.

We are not adding anything of worth to the league, and we don't deserved to be in it.

• 2 weeks later...

The club deserves to go down, but the fans don't deserve this. I've resigned myself to the fact we'll go down because it is clear after months of underachieving that the club will not act and are happy to let this happen!

One thing is for sure, if we do perform a miracle and stay up, it's not going to hide the fact that this season has been a complete and utter shambles.

No club has self destructed so spectacularly since West Ham under Glen Roeder.

Sack a perfectly good manager then persist with a relative novice for ever, and even make a £50mill profit in transfers during the window whilst sliding down the table.

We just have to hope we don't go through the Championship in similar fashion next year.

Agreed with this almost entirely. The first 6 months of last season were reasonable enough. The real warning bells began for me when we failed to sign a new CB last January. From that point on it's been a rapid decline and continued lack of proper recruitment. Without a word of admitting to the mistake from the club.

This January and the summer have just continued that total lack of adequate recruitment.

Agreed with this almost entirely. The first 6 months of last season were reasonable enough. The real warning bells began for me when we failed to sign a new CB last January. From that point on it's been a rapid decline and continued lack of proper recruitment. Without a word from the club.
Yep. They really should have seen last January as a big mistake and a chance to refresh things this summer. They did virtually nothing and it's compounded the problem. I actually think we did worse in the summer than in January. I can sort of understand why it would be difficult to persuade players to join us then.

We deserve to go down if we are in the bottom 3 after 38 games. I'm not sure how anyone can justify after 27 games that a club "deserves" to go down.

I would suggest that constantly playing in the "style" that we have, coupled with the inertia shown by the board would justify it. At least other "in peril" teams have attempted to change things with signings and management changes.

No club has self destructed so spectacularly since West Ham under Glen Roeder.

Sack a perfectly good manager then persist with a relative novice for ever, and even make a £50mill profit in transfers during the window whilst sliding down the table.

We just have to hope we don't go through the Championship in similar fashion next year.

The club make it worse by buying the manager’s pet player for double his worth. All it does is illustrate Pellegrino is here until at least the end of the season.

#wemarchon #fückoffles

Arrogance extends to the way fans are treated also. !8,000 gates next season will show what people think

Having good players and a terrible manager is exactly the same, results-wise, as having appalling players and a terrible manager. i like to think we have the former. So why can't Les et al see it? Heart-breakingly baffling.

I personally feel that up until 2 years ago Les and the board had gotten little wrong and deserved our trust, unfortunately since then it has been bad decision after bad decision

I respectfully disagree. I think Reed almost immediately set the tone for our decline and fall from grace.

Within weeks of taking over from Cortese he had sold Shaw, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Chambers, Cork and Pochettino - the full heartbeat and spine of our progressing side.

Momentum built by Cortese meant we were never going to simply drop like a stone, but sure enough momentum will only take you so far.

Les entered the complacency, greed and self promotion phase almost immediately. He is the reason we are where we are.

The self destruction and decline under Leslie is unforgivable.

We should be proud of the work weve done developing players for other teams.

I think you need a reality check, anybody who thinks that our academy is there to serve our team needs to get real, the academy is just a money making factory, just another income stream, and the first team is the shop window. Always has been and always will be.

The plan has always been to be a stable mid table team, occasionally flirting with the top 6, occasionally flirting with a good cup run.....and that’s it.

We are never going to ‘push on’ we are never going to become Man City or Chelsea, we are just always going to be a mediocre club, paying its bills, not living above its means, producing some good young talent that will be sold on at a vast profit.

That is the plan, don’t expect anything else.

But we have had a series of setbacks over the last 2 years which have led to our predicament that we find ourselves in today, we flirted with the big boys for 2-3 years under poch and koeman, playing some good football and buying wisely, uncovering a few gems, so this alerted the big boys and they wanted our best players and our managers, it was always going to happen, money talks and if we are not prepared to offer more then people will move on. There is no loyalty, people want money and fame and they are not gonna get it here, the ‘i Wanna win trophies’ line is just a front for ‘I want money’.

Puel was not a mistake but his football was boring and frustrating, we got results, he was reasonably successful but his brand of football was bland, pellegrino was virtually unknown and it shows, he is a mistake but stubbornly they will probably stick with him until the end of the season for 2 reasons, money and money.

So don’t hold your breath for any big changes, we are just a mediocre club in a bit of trouble and nobody outside of this city gives a rats ass about us, we are just here to make up the numbers and sometimes standing up to the big boys, sometimes flirting with relegation but always selling our best players.

It is the real Southampton way!

I think you need a reality check, anybody who thinks that our academy is there to serve our team needs to get real, the academy is just a money making factory, just another income stream, and the first team is the shop window. Always has been and always will be.

The plan has always been to be a stable mid table team, occasionally flirting with the top 6, occasionally flirting with a good cup run.....and that’s it.

We are never going to ‘push on’ we are never going to become Man City or Chelsea, we are just always going to be a mediocre club, paying its bills, not living above its means, producing some good young talent that will be sold on at a vast profit.

That is the plan, don’t expect anything else.

But we have had a series of setbacks over the last 2 years which have led to our predicament that we find ourselves in today, we flirted with the big boys for 2-3 years under poch and koeman, playing some good football and buying wisely, uncovering a few gems, so this alerted the big boys and they wanted our best players and our managers, it was always going to happen, money talks and if we are not prepared to offer more then people will move on. There is no loyalty, people want money and fame and they are not gonna get it here, the ‘i Wanna win trophies’ line is just a front for ‘I want money’.

Puel was not a mistake but his football was boring and frustrating, we got results, he was reasonably successful but his brand of football was bland, pellegrino was virtually unknown and it shows, he is a mistake but stubbornly they will probably stick with him until the end of the season for 2 reasons, money and money.

So don’t hold your breath for any big changes, we are just a mediocre club in a bit of trouble and nobody outside of this city gives a rats ass about us, we are just here to make up the numbers and sometimes standing up to the big boys, sometimes flirting with relegation but always selling our best players.

It is the real Southampton way!

I agree apart from one thing. Mid table is the ideal for the board, but 17th does the job. In other words if they were guaranteed Premier status for the next 10 years, but say, at the expense of finishing 17th or 16th, they would take it.

I agree apart from one thing. Mid table is the ideal for the board, but 17th does the job. In other words if they were guaranteed Premier status for the next 10 years, but say, at the expense of finishing 17th or 16th, they would take it.

Exactly. The money is in the prem and as long as a club like ours finishes anywhere above a relegation place then that has got to considered a success, it’s harsh, it stings but it is reality for us and the Owners/board will view it like that.

The success we achieved on our return to the prem and the following few seasons were a bonus,an unusual, unexpected flirt with the high life, it will happen again but so will flirting with the drop but overall the club will revert to just being a plucky mid table outfit, at the moment the whole setup from top to bottom is disjointed due to some bad decisions, bad management, stroppy players, the selling on of too many good players,stubbornness to admit there could be a few problems and doing things on the cheap or doing nothing.

All of these things will eventually catch up with us but it hasn’t been an overnight decline, it’s been a long process of 2-3 years and it will take just as long, maybe more to get us back on an even keel. There are no quick fixes and we might have to get relegated to put things right.

We are where we are because of all of the above and we deserve our position, this might sound harsh but at this moment we are not good enough to be a prem team and if we go down then we probably deserve it, the club and us fans have to take a percentage of the blame if we do.

When Pellegrino said we should be grateful to VVD, he talked about his service here and that he made us a nice profit... What more indication does any fan need that we are being suckered every single day of our lives. The reason we hear nothing is that burglars operate silently and don't usually wake every one up and tell them that they are robbing their house.

"Our team" will be an interesting concept next year in the Championship. Fans may not feel quite so cosy about things then, how many of this lot, players included will hang around to clear up their mess. The square root of F all that's who.

Exactly. The money is in the prem and as long as a club like ours finishes anywhere above a relegation place then that has got to considered a success, it’s harsh, it stings but it is reality for us and the Owners/board will view it like that.

The success we achieved on our return to the prem and the following few seasons were a bonus,an unusual, unexpected flirt with the high life, it will happen again but so will flirting with the drop but overall the club will revert to just being a plucky mid table outfit, at the moment the whole setup from top to bottom is disjointed due to some bad decisions, bad management, stroppy players, the selling on of too many good players,stubbornness to admit there could be a few problems and doing things on the cheap or doing nothing.

All of these things will eventually catch up with us but it hasn’t been an overnight decline, it’s been a long process of 2-3 years and it will take just as long, maybe more to get us back on an even keel. There are no quick fixes and we might have to get relegated to put things right.

We are where we are because of all of the above and we deserve our position, this might sound harsh but at this moment we are not good enough to be a prem team and if we go down then we probably deserve it, the club and us fans have to take a percentage of the blame if we do.

You have summed it up perfectly. I have had the same sentiment for years and have expressed it on this forum many times.

Doesn't that 2yr time frame coincide with the beginning of interest from Gao starting to unsettle things behind the scenes?

Doesn't that 2yr time frame coincide with the beginning of interest from Gao starting to unsettle things behind the scenes?

Yes. Katharina, and you can't blame her, began to accumulate her money pot. I suspect she had decided to jump, the only question was when. We had a bonus year last year but Katharina must have known that with a lack of real investment the decline was due. Having said that she probably did not suspect relegation and I am sure she would have preferred selling to a more committed owner. In the end though, she knew she had to get out whilst the going was good and Gao bought the club. Timing is everything and as a business woman she played a blinder. No blame on her at all for our predicament, business is business.

• 3 weeks later...