WBA Build Up

ALWAYS_SFC

He's got a point. We've been far too gung-ho and reckless recently. Its been like Kevin Keegan's Newcastle on amphetamines. We need to rein it in a bit.

I've likened our style more to Ossie Ardiles' Famous Five on crack. But both are near enough.

I honestly can't work out what he's on about in a lot of his 'snippets'. Just weird waffle.

Pellegrino lost the plot ages ago - actually I’m not sure he ever had it in the first place. Has to be a contender not only for the worst manager in the club’s history but in English football. Still, nice distraction for Kreuger and Reed, who is hoping the very suspicious January window is brushed under the carpet

When MoPe has been roundly criticised for his 1 striker policy, I'm surprised that most of the teams I've seen suggested here have had just 1 striker: Carrillo.

Or has Boufal now been elevated to striker?

I know Gabbi has a possible injury issue, but shouldn't we still try with 2 strikers - we have plenty of midfielders of different types to manage, surely?

Couldn't Carrillo & Long be a striking option? 4-4-2? Something like:

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

Boufal Hoj Lemina Tadic

Carrillo Long

Maybe JWP instead of Tadic, switching Boufal to the left (works well with Bertrand).

If Gabbi is fit, put him in for Long.

Bring back that young lad who debuted recently... Obafemi?

Then you'd have a target man & a runner, enough fighters & ball players in midfield, with extra wide runners in Cedric/Bertrand if attack needs bolstering.

It's one option. Need goals.

He's got a point. We've been far too gung-ho and reckless recently. Its been like Kevin Keegan's Newcastle on amphetamines. We need to rein it in a bit.

Your suggesting we rein it in ? what the f... you on ? weve been playing negative football for months how much further back would you like us to go? isle of wight? tit.

3 Scenarios:

1. West Brom come out guns blazing...Jay Rod, Sturridge, Rondon any combination put them 3-0 up before half-time. Ends 3-0. We claim moral victory having 'tightened it up in the second half

2. Incredibly we score in the first 10 mins...triple rebound off Carillo's new botty...we pull back immediately to protect our lead. They equalise just before half time 1-1 HT. Hold on for the draw second half...lose 3-1. Interview goes something like...hard to digest...new striker proving his threat already...look forward to the next game blah blah

3. Either 2. above i.e. we're a flukey 1-0 up, or it's 0-0 approaching the 89th minute...Jay Rod or Sturridge score an incredible goal to deny us 3 points and or win the game for West Brom. 'Hard to digest'...blah blah

3 Scenarios:

1. West Brom come out guns blazing...Jay Rod, Sturridge, Rondon any combination put them 3-0 up before half-time. Ends 3-0. We claim moral victory having 'tightened it up in the second half

2. Incredibly we score in the first 10 mins...triple rebound off Carillo's new botty...we pull back immediately to protect our lead. They equalise just before half time 1-1 HT. Hold on for the draw second half...lose 3-1. Interview goes something like...hard to digest...new striker proving his threat already...look forward to the next game blah blah

3. Either 2. above i.e. we're a flukey 1-0 up, or it's 0-0 approaching the 89th minute...Jay Rod or Sturridge score an incredible goal to deny us 3 points and or win the game for West Brom. 'Hard to digest'...blah blah

or:

4) Club announcement by Les Reed on the OS: ".. despite his best efforts results haven't been going our way, and on reflection, and with regret we've decided that Mauriccio is a c^nt, and we're relieving him of his duties..... and I'm relaxed about the next appointment because I'm also a c^nt.. so am resigning, and as Ross has also proved to be a c^nt over the last few transfer windows he'll be leaving the club with immediate effect..."

less likely I know.

I’m going for a Saints win, 1-2 or 2-3.

For the first time ever in all my years as a supporter I'm not sure I want us to to win. I'm praying the decision's been made already, a replacement has been lined up and he's gone regardless of the result and if so obviously I desperately want us to win. BUT If a loss tomorrow is the only thing that guarantees he's sacked I think I'd have to take it.

I’m going for a Saints win, 1-2 or 2-3.

For the first time ever in all my years as a supporter I'm not sure I want us to to win. I'm praying the decision's been made already, a replacement has been lined up and he's gone regardless of the result and if so obviously I desperately want us to win. BUT If a loss tomorrow is the only thing that guarantees he's sacked I think I'd have to take it.

Bingo.

These constant draws are keeping the clown in a job (somehow). Single points are not going to keep us up, football is about winning FFS. 4 wins in PL & only 1 convincing is horrific.

After our car crash window, I am convinced getting rid of this clown is our only hope. If that means losing to WBA, then so be it for the greater good.

Can't forget the players though who have been with a few exceptions, **** all season. Time to pull your fingers out of your arseholes boys!

The players are much better than this, but clearly not as good as they think they are. This is the worst team we have had since we were promoted - no doubt. Thanks Les.

Not this game, fella. This is a Grade-A bona-fide 6 pointer. I want us to win, even it if keeps Mr. Bean in a job for another week.

Not this game, fella. This is a Grade-A bona-fide 6 pointer. I want us to win, even it if keeps Mr. Bean in a job for another week.

An intriguingly positive post considering the source, fella. I know what you mean but the problem is winning this Grade-A bona-fide 6 pointer may keep our Grade-Z 1 star manager in a job until it really, definitely is too late (which it may well be already).

Your suggesting we rein it in ? what the f... you on ? weve been playing negative football for months how much further back would you like us to go? isle of wight? tit.

Is this the genuine whoosh of the century, or is Roo taking withering sarcasm to previously unknown heights? :suspicious:

Yes a loss would probably get rid of the manager, not that I'd put it past our board to stick by him, but for me, I really want to see a win against WBA. Even to the point that it buys Pellegrino time. Maybe we can lose 10-0 against Liverpool next week to get rid of him, but for this game I really want us to win. This is the round of fixtures where we could potentially get cut adrift, and we're running out of games. Certainly "winnable" games, if you can call ANY fixture winnable this season...

It's hard to know what our best first team is because the manager himself doesn't have a clue, but I'd like to see an attacking as hell team against the Baggies, really go at them - if we're going down (which IMO we are under Pellegrino) at least we can do it fighting.

I'd be playing something like:

-----------------------McCarthy-------------------------

Cedric----Stephens-------Hoedt-----------Bertrand---

----------------Lemina-----Romeu----------------------

----Gabbiadini--------Boufal-------------Tadic---------

---------------------Carrillo-----------------------------

SUBS: Forster, Yoshida, McQueen/Pied, Hojbjerg, JWP, Sims, Long.

Sacrificing Davis for the more attacking Sims on the bench as Redmond seems to be massively out of favour. That, to me, looks like a good team. Which is why Pellegrino won't pick it. :rolleyes:

4 points from the Brighton and WBA games was the very minimum we needed for survival IMO, although when I initially said that I'd had us winning the home game. That makes this match MASSIVE. This is probably the biggest game we've faced in years. Sturridge hattrick then...

Yes a loss would probably get rid of the manager, not that I'd put it past our board to stick by him, but for me, I really want to see a win against WBA. Even to the point that it buys Pellegrino time. Maybe we can lose 10-0 against Liverpool next week to get rid of him, but for this game I really want us to win. This is the round of fixtures where we could potentially get cut adrift, and we're running out of games. Certainly "winnable" games, if you can call ANY fixture winnable this season...

It's hard to know what our best first team is because the manager himself doesn't have a clue, but I'd like to see an attacking as hell team against the Baggies, really go at them - if we're going down (which IMO we are under Pellegrino) at least we can do it fighting.

I'd be playing something like:

-----------------------McCarthy-------------------------

Cedric----Stephens-------Hoedt-----------Bertrand---

----------------Lemina-----Romeu----------------------

----Gabbiadini--------Boufal-------------Tadic---------

---------------------Carrillo-----------------------------

SUBS: Forster, Yoshida, McQueen/Pied, Hojbjerg, JWP, Sims, Long.

Sacrificing Davis for the more attacking Sims on the bench as Redmond seems to be massively out of favour. That, to me, looks like a good team. Which is why Pellegrino won't pick it. :rolleyes:

4 points from the Brighton and WBA games was the very minimum we needed for survival IMO, although when I initially said that I'd had us winning the home game. That makes this match MASSIVE. This is probably the biggest game we've faced in years. Sturridge hattrick then...

I think we can accept that sturridge and j rod will both score. So we need at least three goals to win.

I'm optimistic.

‪My starting #saintsfc XI for the baggies...‬

‪ McCarthy ‬

‪Cedric. Hoedt. Yoshi. Bertie‬

‪ Hojberg. Lemina ‬

‪ Tadic. Gabbi. Boufal‬

‪ Carrillo. ‬

Will never happen under this buffoon as it’s way too attacking but would love to see how this team could play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McCarthy

Cedric - Yoshi - Hoedt - Bertrand

JWP - Hodgelfelgel - Romeu - Bouf, eat my goal

Gabbi- Carrillo

if we can actually create some momentum and movement then Gabbi might have some joy running onto balls from Carrillo. Poor ****er has been chasing shadows all season. Some crosses / passes from JWP and Boof might actually find some targets, bah. It’s so hard to be positive these days...

The 2 youngest & I will be there later to watch Sturridge score against us........

Any manager with a brain knows just how predictable we are so can't see a win or even a draw especially when the clueless manager plays 4 central midfielders.

3-5-2 for me.

McCarthy

Stephens-Hoedt-Berty

Cedric-Romeu-Holgberg-McQueen

Boufal

Carillo-Gabiaddini

Bench - Forster, Yoshi, JWP, Lemina, Long, Sims, Jones

I think we will sneak a win so Les and Ralph can smirk at each other, say they were right to keep the faith and let Coco the Clown carry on for the rest of the season or until it is too late to dig us out of the mire.

I feel dirty but I really am torn about what I want to happen this afternoon in the best interests of the club.

My selection based on absolutely nothing. Similar to MP's tried and trusted system of how to pick a team....

Austin

Long Stephens Hoedt Tadic

Boufal Gabbi Sims Redmond

Carrillo Obafemi

And we still wouldn't score if they changed the venue to The Red Light "All You Can Eat Buffet" Saloon......

I know Austin is injured but you don't have to move around too much in goal. We learnt that from Forster

Yes that's right. I'd even drop McCarthy. He hasn't scored in ages...

Edited by The Saint

James, I rarely find reason to disagree with you but JWP still has all the flaws that he has always had. Cannot tackle, cannot head and never does anything adventurous only ever passing sideways or backwards to a maximum of 10 yards. Sorry, I don't rate him as a starter and the now well past its 'sell by date' trademark dead ball speciality rarely produces anything of note. At best he is an energetic well intentioned clubman. He is no more worth his place than the much maligned and unfairly so Steven Davis.

My heart sinks when these name are announced as starters these days.

JWP has scored 3 out of the last 5 goals scored by a Saints player. Considering the other 2 were scored by a centre back I’d say it’s pretty important that he plays. Who knows, Carillo might even get on the end of one of his crosses as Stephens has been, though getting one on target would be nice. It’s sad but it’s our most likely source of a goal at the moment.

I love it when people think you're wrong for not rating someone every time they score a goal.

Imagine how silly I feel now that Sam Clucas is world class.

Honestly don't know what you're saying here. You don't rate Clucas or Sturridge, or you do? Genuine question.

JWP has scored 3 out of the last 5 goals scored by a Saints player. Considering the other 2 were scored by a centre back I’d say it’s pretty important that he plays. Who knows, Carillo might even get on the end of one of his crosses as Stephens has been, though getting one on target would be nice. It’s sad but it’s our most likely source of a goal at the moment.

His set pieces and crosses against Brighton were in the main woeful even the goal looked like a scuffed free kick.

His set pieces and crosses against Brighton were in the main woeful even the goal looked like a scuffed free kick.
He put in a couple of absolutely fantastic crosses first half.

Definite starter, but with Tadic on the other side I would put JWP middle and some pace out right, be that Redmond, Sims or possibly even Long.