When would you have pulled the trigger on Pellegrino?

Bad Wolf

the moment he said in the press that nobody in the premier league plays with 2 up front and that he would not be using it for the forseable future and would continue with the same dross that had got Puel the sack at the end of the season was when i started to question him, this was probably october.

Well I put a bet on relegation after Burnley. Mainly because I thought the odds were too long given how poor we were, even though I didn't actually think we would go down.

But the fact that was even a consideration tells me that's when. But if not, then the apparently abysmal (I had the fortune of not seeing it) display against Leicester should have been the final straw. I started having doubts after Watford (H) in September though...

Anybody could see right from the start that what he was doing wasn't great...but we just waited and waited to see if any improvements would happen. Personally if it was my train set to play with, I would have sacked him back in Nov after the Burnley game too! The style of football alone would have been enough to rid of him. The results have compounded it all. Utterly utterly terrible manager...I could not say one thing that he has brought to the club that has been a positive.

Initially it should have been after Liverpool humiliation and we should have brought in BFS to keep us up this season (it was clear at that point we'd be in relegation battle - at that point I assumed results would pick up or we'd get rid pretty urgently).

Then results picked up (a bit), but Leicester first half was the worst I can remember - Without a doubt should have gone by that point.

The final straw should have been the home defeat to Palace (02nd Jan) - Give the new man a window to get his players in.

Since that, after pretty much every game - unfortunately I think the narrow win at Fulham kept him in a job.

Genuinely, leaving the Swansea game on the opening day I was perplexed by everyone I could hear leaving the ground convincing themselves it was 'better than under Puel' despite the game having been almost identical to our worst performances under Puel. But in terms of when I felt he'd had the time to prove me wrong, I was happy for him to be sacked after Brighton away, where his idea of how football should be played became abundantly clear. beating Everton 4-1 was probably the worst thing that ever happened to us to be honest, as it gave the impression he might know what he's doing.

After the Burnley game...I was so angry, I haven't been back. It's not the defeat and I stood by the team in their darkest hour. It was the manner of the defeat.

If you thought the Burnley game was bad (which it was) you should've seen the Watford (home) game, which was absolutely dire.

How could any of you have moved on from that League Cup defeat against Wolves with a sense of ease ???

I didn't and the sight of him sat on his haunches with glistening frightened rabbit in headlight eyes had me worried right from then..I have been going on about it since!

We had to give him a chance to settle and change it...he can't and is being the front for all the fans frustration and protecting the real culprits who will get away with it.

A decent man maybe but as for English football way out of his depth and too stubborn and stupid to change tactics...or is he the clever one? Will he get the chance to earn this much again? Good pay off when sacked.

In truth, my doubts were solidified following palace. But since the board were obviously not going to sack him I let myself believe he had promise.

With that in mind, I would have sacked him during the Brighton game. Maybe on reading the line up, and certainly at half time. Any one of us could have managed a better result than he did last night.

Leciester

But I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place - a far worse track record than Puel. I would have stuck with Puel, moved a few players on and backed him in the summer transfer window - or appointed Marco Silva as the start of the summer and sacked Puel instead of dithering around all summer.

I'm not bothered about playing 2 up front - I just want us to play a formation and style that gets the best out of our squad. Pellegrino doesn't seem to have any idea how to.

Leicester but if I'd bottled that then after Palace at the latest.

Be good if this site and The Echo ran a stay /go poll. A headline of 90+% of Saints Fan want MP to go, might be the nudge the Board need to act.

I've only been to one game this season - Palace away - and I posted then that rumours of our demise had been greatly exaggerated!

Lemina looked like the missing piece in the jigsaw, decent enough debut from Hoedt, Forster kept a rare clean sheet, Tadic was OK, Davis scored (!), unfortunately Redmond was full-Redmond that day but you can't have it all; it looked then like we had something to build on.

And the rest is history! Extraordinary that we can start a must-win game with our 4 biggest signings on the bench and playing a non-scoring striker and non-scoring midfield.

Utter shambles, he should have gone after Brighton away.

I wish we stopped oppointing obscure managers and look into some real talent. It's not something you can skimp on evidently.

Persuading them to join the club is obviously a bit of a problem. Decent managers can be a bit choosy now cos there is a continual stream of jobs to pick from. Manager's jobs are like buses, if you miss one there be another along in a few minutes.

At the very latest you need to get a new manager in at least a few weeks before the transfer window opens, give him time to assess the squad and allow a bit of time to see if there is a reaction from the players before you spend.

We've left it too long to attract anyone decent and give whoever we hire a decent chance of keeping us up. Plus we've just blown £19m on a mate of Pelligrinos. It's a complete clusterf@ck.

Augsburg in the pre-season friendly.

Joking aside though, there was enough in that home 0-4 defeat to make me think he didnt have a clue, but I convinced myself he was just trying to find the best system, players etc.

Now I know he doesn't have a clue still.

Yeah that was a shocker, then we turned up and beat Sevilla in the following friendly.

The 0-2 to Wolves was a stinker though, given that it was in fact the reserves Wolves team. That did ring a couple of alarm bells for me.

the moment he said in the press that nobody in the premier league plays with 2 up front and that he would not be using it for the forseable future and would continue with the same dross that had got Puel the sack at the end of the season was when i started to question him, this was probably october.

That's one of the few things he got correct though. No one plays 4-4-2 in the PL anymore. When we were scoring for fun it was 4-3-3 with Mane, Pelle and Tadic up front. 4-4-2 means loss of MF and you'll never get the ball near the 2. I'm not sure why fans keep banging on about 2 up top. it's not 1998.

That's one of the few things he got correct though. No one plays 4-4-2 in the PL anymore. When we were scoring for fun it was 4-3-3 with Mane, Pelle and Tadic up front. 4-4-2 means loss of MF and you'll never get the ball near the 2. I'm not sure why fans keep banging on about 2 up top. it's not 1998.
plenty of teams play with players for closer to the main forward than we ever do these days.

Before he got here. Bloke had no pedigree for the job and really appointing him was just a stupid, stupid act. No doubt driven by desperation and cheapness.

I don’t think it was driven by desperation and cheapness- I think Les was so far up his a*se he wanted to bring an unknown quantity like we did with Pochettino.

I mean, think of the credit Les would have got had Pellegrino been amazing- and I think it is in this hope Reed is not firing Pellegrino, his arrogance can’t allow him to admit he got this appointment wrong and like all of us, is just hoping this guy will swing it around.

and to answer OP’s question- Leicester game- we had very winnable games in Huddersfield and Palace at home- got 1 out of 6.

First time I had serious doubts was after watford at home and I suggested that following de boers sacking at palace that he should be looking over his shoulder which raised a few eyebrows on here.

It was the Leicester game that well and truly confirmed it for me and I'm staggered he survived the utter embarrassment of the palace farce.

Too late now, I think the rot is set too deep and I get the impression the board are belligerently sticking with him.

The social media response has def rattled him though judging by his reference to emotional perspectives at today's press conference.