• JWP
    • Carillo
    • Boufal
    • Tadic
    • PEH
    • Long
    • Redmond
    • Pellegrino

That's the one I watched, are you seriously telling me that you can't see Hegazi attempting to pull Stephens' shirt off? Not going to lie, I didn't see it at the game, just thought that someone had failed to mark Hegazi properly, but it's not a clear-cut case that Stephens just lost him.

That's the one I watched, are you seriously telling me that you can't see Hegazi attempting to pull Stephens' shirt off? Not going to lie, I didn't see it at the game, just thought that someone had failed to mark Hegazi properly, but it's not a clear-cut case that Stephens just lost him.
If you read back through this thread, I initially posted that I thought Stephens was fouled by Hegazi. A few posters then told me that it was Stephens who was pulling Hegazi's shirt. So I watched the footage again and can see Stephens had a tug (so to speak).

So, in conclusion, perhaps it was a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other?

Enjoyed the pre March tribute to Cyrile Regis. It's heartening to think that my 11 year old has no comprehension of what Cyrile & other black players went through. However small that is some kind of progress.

To the game.

Before we scored we were rubbish. Romeu was having a mare, Tadic was as useless as ever.

The save McCarthey made from the free kick was excellent & kept us in the game.

Two excellent goals from Saints gave us the lead. Thought Foster could have done better with JWP's free kick.

Carrillo did well, mobile, strong & good in the air. First touch needs work.

Two centre halves need to learn to be more dominant in the air. We look vulnerable to strong centre forwards.

Oliver gave plenty of free kicks against us, not sure many of them were.

A win is a wonderful!

Oh, f*ck off! If he gave that pen, then he would have had to give the one on Long (which he damn well should have anyway).

Add in all the chances we missed, we absolutely bossed that game.

Just p*ss off and enjoy today, FFS.

:lol: I'm smiling. Sounds like you aren't?

Great result and a good performance, we could have easily won by more. Let's hope we kick on from this.

How does the Lemina song go? Sounded good on the feed I watched

Ohhh ohhh Mario Lemina

Ohhh ohhh he is a class midfielder

Ohhh ohhh he never gives the ball away

Really enjoyable away trip. Always close matches at the Hawthorns with us usually looking the better team but not always winning. Today I thought the result flattered WBA who looked long ball merchants, and once we got our goal we passed them off the field. Excellent performances from McCarthy, Bertrand, JWP and Lemina. Big improvements in second half from Boufal and Tadic. While still finding his feet I thought that Guido looked promising and gave us another type of pass that we have missed since Pelle. Three other observations:

- Regis tribute was excellent, and the musical scene with scarves in the air, including Saints fans, was pretty moving

- While both have their good individual moments, Hoedt and Stephens are a long way short of what we have been used to through the Lovren, Fonte, Alderweirald, VVD era in terms of defending aerial balls in our box. Can this be coached? I think so as look at the job Potch did with Lovren who has looked a donkey at Liverpool.

- while for the most part our fans were excellent, we had some moronic shouts of “sacked in the morning” after about 20 mins of the game. Regardless of your view, why try to turn a game toxic with over an hour to go?

while for the most part our fans were excellent, we had some moronic shouts of “sacked in the morning” after about 20 mins of the game. Regardless of your view, why try to turn a game toxic with over an hour to go?

Could it be argued that said chant sparked the players into a reaction or was the improved performance thereafter just a coincidence?

Good awayday, and as it turned out excellent, andin the end a deserved, win.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that the first 30 minutes were atrocious with plenty of misplaced passes. A better team than WBA would have surely been out of sight by this stage.

Lemina was outstanding , goal was great to see from the away end, amazing what happens when someone is prepared to shoot and can keep it on target, something lacking for too long.

McCarthy - good save from a free kick,something Forster would have still been thinking about by the time it hit the net.McCarthy also did the simple things that have been lacking from FF like coming off his line, and frequently collecting crosses.

Support today - thought it pretty tame before the match in the concourse, seemed a deflated atmosphere, most probably expecting a loss. But inspired by Lemina's screamer it was quite good after. Disappointed to see an empty area on the highlights though.

Substitutions - think taking Carillo off for Long added some pace but lost somrthing of the attacking threat.

Long - lucky that headed opportunity didn't cost us. He really is a waste of space in front of goal.

Thought WBA handled the Regis tribute well. Although I didn't see all of it, from the time we went to our seats it seemed sensible and proportionate. Several clubs would have overdone the "collective grief" and made it a public display of wallowing, but West Brom kept a better focus (even if Adrian Chiles gets on my tits most of the time). Regis wife also gave a dignified response at HT.

Edited by Badger

I'm late to the party so I doubt I have anything new to add. I only had Solent and MoTD highlights to go on but Lemina is a very good player. First time I saw him play for us I thought he was the dogs danglies but that injury and then lack of match time really put a dent in his season but it looks like the boy is back.

Looked like a good performance all around and we need plenty more like that to get through this season. The team that played today is probably our best team right now with only Hoj either for Romeu (who I rate but looks like he could do with a break) or Boufal and Austin (when fit) for Gudio being the only two who might stake a claim bar injuries or suspension.

Stick with that team for the rest of season MoPe and you might save your job.

Thread is hilarious. MP massively panicking as he knew today was last chance saloon, so he played a massively different team in terms of personnel and tactics compared to what he likes to play.

He got a result.

Maybe he’ll learn. Or ( my bet is) he’ll go straight back next week to a defensive line up and pray for a nil nil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting from a skiing holiday although confusingly I'm in Genova by the sea. Read the match thread an hour after posting and didn't jump to the end so suffered all the agonies of everybody else. Biggest emotion was relief and getting some optimism for the next game.

Thanks for the links to the goals. Nice to see some long range shooting for a change. Back for the Liverpool game (just) and I'm probably not the only one feeling just a leeetle more hopeful.

Thread is hilarious. MP massively panicking as he knew today was last chance saloon, so he played a massively different team in terms of personnel and tactics compared to what he likes to play.

He got a result.

Maybe he’ll learn. Or ( my bet is) he’ll go straight back next week to a defensive line up and pray for a nil nil

Well seeing as Swansea and WBA just beat Liverpool by siting deep and countering I could forgive that if we get a result.

while for the most part our fans were excellent, we had some moronic shouts of “sacked in the morning” after about 20 mins of the game. Regardless of your view, why try to turn a game toxic with over an hour to go?

Quite a few of the match reports in the papers made note of the chanting.

Saw the lineup before the game and thought that's a winning team for once. Why oh why he doesn't pick his best side all the time I don't know.

Anyways, great result and god did we need it.

Almost his best side: I don't know why Romeu was picked over PEH. But 10 out of 11 right is way above his average, shame it's taken 26 matches for him to get this far. No complaints about any of his subs today either.

Will he continue doing this, or revert back to cluelessness?

He got a result.

The tactics and performance for the first half an hour didn't look a great deal different from some of the other MP offerings seved up, one paced ,directionless and lacking any threat.

So lemina has been superb all season and the clown dropped him. Plum

Well he's also been injured and taking ages to get over said injury so either way....Also I'm not sure who you're calling a plum either but your propensity to make some profoundly inaccurate comments suggests that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Thought Carillo was pretty average but it made such a difference to our mindset having a target man up there
he showed that he has something that could work. He seems tome to be alert and a quick brain.

If you notice Stephens goal he lost his man and had got to the back post looking for scraps. He might not be pacey but I have a bit of faith that he could make a difference

Yes, this can be coached, we are conceding far to many goals where the striker is getting in between the two centre defenders. Unfortunately we zonal mark and not man mark. Man marking is so much easier to deal with. Our manager was a centre half way back so I think we should be doing a lot better at crosses, corners etc.

Yes, this can be coached, we are conceding far to many goals where the striker is getting in between the two centre defenders. Unfortunately we zonal mark and not man mark. Man marking is so much easier to deal with. Our manager was a centre half way back so I think we should be doing a lot better at crosses, corners etc.

Do we? looks like man marking to me Stephens just isn't very good at it.

Yes, this can be coached, we are conceding far to many goals where the striker is getting in between the two centre defenders. Unfortunately we zonal mark and not man mark.

Stephens was man marking Hegazi, so not sure what you are talking about.

Edited by Chez

Nothing too much - it was just a combination of playing a terrible side and us playing our better players in each position whilst having a player up front who won his fair share in the air and had the instincts to be in the right positions in the box.

First twenty and last twenty were bad, but inbetween we took advantage of playing a poor team that had plenty of their better players injured.

I'm not ****ing over us winning, but the truth is that we didn't do much differently at all. We maybe moved the ball quicker a few times to be fair, but that may be it.

We played a terrible side you say yet they still managed to score first & twice against us & nearly got themselves a draw, what does that say about us?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Good performance and great result but let's not get carried away. We only scored from set pieces, we still fail to convert promising positions when attacking and we still concede soft goals.

I think we'll just about stay up but we should be doing so much better.

We played a terrible side you say yet they still managed to score first & twice against us & nearly got themselves a draw, what does that say about us?

It says we still have some way to go, but I'd expect that. The confidence came back to the team in parts and that seems to be very important to us.

there isn't. even if he stays and somehow keeps us up. he has to be replaced

Taken me a while to post as I've only just resurfaced from returning from the match. Awesome performance that had nothing to do with the manager. At 0-1 and 20 minutes in, we were still pretty awful and spent most of the time arguing with each other as often seems the case nowadays. Lemina however, had spent that time sussing the game and decided enough was enough, the oppo were s*** and someone had to step up to the plate or we were going down. He took control, bossed the game and drove us forward.The rest of the team responded. Romeu started winning tackles, full backs pushed forward, Carillo held the ball/won headers to allow the midfield to run beyond him and even Tadic started to show us he can still remember how to play...no, really.

These were players taking responsibility for themselves not the manager waving fairy dust. It doesn't mean we are safe and it still worries me this muppet is in charge. He is the one who hasn't been playing Lemina after all. Just another in a long line of poor decisions. He's absolutely useless and this result should not change the fact he needs to go. As far as I could see his only noticeable contribution yesterday was to make a dismissive gesture towards us when we were singing 'you're getting sacked in the morning' (at 0-1 down).

Yesterday showed that the fans and the players as one, which is what matters at times like these. For now, we need to ignore the idiot in the technical area and get behind the team every game from here on and I think we will stay up. Then hopefully we can rebuild in the summer with an actual football manager.

That side didn’t look terrible at Anfield a week ago.

Exactly you blame the manager I blame the players they earn £millions but continually mess up

If they had scored a another goal each month it is likely we would be in the top ten

I blame the manager for not picking lemina, for picking Davis, for not picking Austin early in the season, for sticking with Forster, for the overly defensive tactics. for not breaking the last 5 mins with subs against Watford. for playing tadic wide right.... amongst other things

Taken me a while to post as I've only just resurfaced from returning from the match. Awesome performance that had nothing to do with the manager. At 0-1 and 20 minutes in, we were still pretty awful and spent most of the time arguing with each other as often seems the case nowadays. Lemina however, had spent that time sussing the game and decided enough was enough, the oppo were s*** and someone had to step up to the plate or we were going down. He took control, bossed the game and drove us forward.The rest of the team responded. Romeu started winning tackles, full backs pushed forward, Carillo held the ball/won headers to allow the midfield to run beyond him and even Tadic started to show us he can still remember how to play...no, really.

These were players taking responsibility for themselves not the manager waving fairy dust. It doesn't mean we are safe and it still worries me this muppet is in charge. He is the one who hasn't been playing Lemina after all. Just another in a long line of poor decisions. He's absolutely useless and this result should not change the fact he needs to go. As far as I could see his only noticeable contribution yesterday was to make a dismissive gesture towards us when we were singing 'you're getting sacked in the morning' (at 0-1 down).

Yesterday showed that the fans and the players as one, which is what matters at times like these. For now, we need to ignore the idiot in the technical area and get behind the team every game from here on and I think we will stay up. Then hopefully we can rebuild in the summer with an actual football manager.

Yeah whatever suits. Surprised you didn’t pin Long’s dreadful header on MP’s substitutions. Somehow you don’t come across as the sort who will ‘get behind the team’

And as for ‘ fans and players as one’ just bless you.

Improved performance, no doubt the team selection had a bearing on the display. Thought Carrillo looked good, held the ball well and having a player like that really makes a difference to the team and how they play. That said we were woefully exposed to crosses into the box and on a number of times, to a quick counter when we didn’t need to commit forward.

All in all an improved performance but definitely massive room for improvement.

Mario MoM for me but special mention to JWP and Carrillo who was a nuisance. Thought Tadic and Boufal looked a threat throughout and Bertrand and McCarthy solid. Cedric really needs lessons on crossing.

Yeah whatever suits. Surprised you didn’t pin Long’s dreadful header on MP’s substitutions. Somehow you don’t come across as the sort who will ‘get behind the team’

And as for ‘ fans and players as one’ just bless you.

What I do to support the team is your opinion based on nothing. As for blessing me, what I will tell you is I'm an atheist, so you can stick your religious terminology up your arse.

Improved performance, no doubt the team selection had a bearing on the display. Thought Carrillo looked good, held the ball well and having a player like that really makes a difference to the team and how they play. That said we were woefully exposed to crosses into the box and on a number of times, to a quick counter when we didn’t need to commit forward.

All in all an improved performance but definitely massive room for improvement.

Mario MoM for me but special mention to JWP and Carrillo who was a nuisance. Thought Tadic and Boufal looked a threat throughout and Bertrand and McCarthy solid. Cedric really needs lessons on crossing.

Cedric did an amazing cross though which long should have buried! & several other good ones, don't get your criticism?