Saints v Liverpool build up

Heisenberg

On their day, they are a very, very good side. If we play like we did at home to Spurs, there is no reason why we can't get something from this game. But it'll be a toughie. At least winning today has taken the pressure off this one somewhat. And after that match, we have a very nice run of fixtures coming up which will define our destiny. I won't be judging Pellegrino on this one. I reckon we'll lose, 3-1.

On the WBA build up I wrote :

McCarthy

Cedric Hoedt Stephens Bertie

Lemina Hojberg

JWP Boufal Tadic

Guido

I think it could be a pretty good front 4. If Guido really is decent with his head, then Bertrand, Tadic, and JWP could deliver some crosses that could cause problems. And if Pardew sets up lumps to deal with the aerial threat, then Boufal could have a field day if he's played in the hole.

After today, no doubt I would play that Against Liverpool! The team with the most in-form players IMO.

BTW, Props to SKD for his correct prediction!

That will be pretty close to what we will go for, except I think (not want) Romeu will come in instead of PEH

imagine if we'd beaten Brighton..ffs. Came on here all excited and then realised that we have liverpool next...sigh

Had we of beaten Brighton & drawn to WBA, it would have felt slightly better, but 4 pts is 4pts!

We still have some b*stard fixtures still to come though.

Hopefully MoPe now knows his strongest [current] team. Today's starting line up, but with Hoj instead of Romeu.

Players often raise their game against the big clubs (touting for business?), so maybe we have a chance to get something.

However, I think VvD will want to prove a point and will be firing up his new team mates (especially our old buddies). If so, we could be in for a hammering.

Imagine if they put out a team including VvD, Lallana, Clyne, Lovren & Mane, then they went and thumped us - that would hurt.

Hopefully MoPe now knows his strongest [current] team. Today's starting line up, but with Hoj instead of Romeu.

Players often raise their game against the big clubs (touting for business?), so maybe we have a chance to get something.

However, I think VvD will want to prove a point and will be firing up his new team mates (especially our old buddies). If so, we could be in for a hammering.

Imagine if they put out a team including VvD, Lallana, Clyne, Lovren & Mane, then they went and thumped us - that would hurt.

Clyne won't be playing any time soon has a serious back problem, also doubt Lallana will as he is struggling with injury & fitness recently and behind now behind Salah in the pecking order and also Lovren who usually is the main target for our fans taunting when playing them will also miss out if VVD and Matip are fit to play, expect much of our attention will be directed at VVD anyway after the way he behaved

Heart says stick with same starting 11

Head says tweak it a bit, thus:

---------------------- McCarthy ----------------------

Cedric ---- Stephens --- Hoedt --- Bertie

------------ Hojbjerg ---------- Romeu ----------

------------------------ Lemina -----------------------

----- JWP ------------------------------- Boufal ---

-------------------------- Carrillo ----------------------

Subs: Forster, Yoshida, Davis, Tadic, Sims/Redmond, Long, Gabbiadini

On the surface, that maybe looks too defensive, given the clamour for attacking football, but by bringing back Hojbjerg alongside Romeu, we can give Lemina the freedom of a more box-to-box roll IMO, so I would still see it as a positive line up.

I admit that line up is somewhat harsh on Tadic though, and there's always a case for starting him, especially now as he should link up well with Carrillo, but on current form it's difficult to justify dropping JWP too, and I feel we need to retain Boufal in the starting line up for his creativity and unpredictability.

Good to have a few selection headaches though.

Edited by trousers

On the surface, that maybe looks too defensive, given the clamour for attacking football, but by bringing back Hojbjerg alongside Romeu, we can give Lemina the freedom of a more box-to-box roll IMO, so I would still see it as a positive line up.

I admit that line up is somewhat harsh on Tadic though, and there's always a case for starting him, especially now as he should link up well with Carrillo, but on current form it's difficult to justify dropping JWP too, and I feel we need to retain Boufal in the starting line up for his creativity and unpredictability.

That is arguably our strongest team, I'd prefer Gabbiadini as a goal threat to Boufal or alternatively Long for hard working physical support for Carillo. I'm not sure that Yoshida isn't a better defender than Stephens but Jack has the goal fever at the moment. I'm also erring on the side of JWP against Liverpool despite his lack of pace. He has four goals now, takes free kicks and corners and is less of a risk which gives us a solid midfield but we need two strikers on the field. Against the lesser sides I'd like to see the midfield three plus Long on the right, Carillo as the tatget man and Gabbiadini free role off the left.

Yeah that would be my lineup of preference.

Reading the secret footballers (Dave Kitson) books the cover-up of drug taking citing injury is a regular occurrence.

Christ. How much has Gardos been taking then??? (Note: for any lawyers reading, this was a joke. No accusation of actual drug taking by our rarely-seen centre back was intended or should be inferred. Please contact Invictasaint’s legal team at Fleesem, Robbem and Screwem on 01583 666888 for any further enquiries)

Highly suspect Hojbjerg will come in for Boufal and we'll set-up in a similar way as to how we did against Spurs at home.

---------------------Alex Mc-------------------

--Cedric-----Stephens-----Hoedt---Bertrand--

---------Hojbjerg---Lemina--Romeu-----------

---JWP-----------------------------------Tadic--

--------------------Carillo-----------------------

2-1 L'Pool.

Even worse if you add Oxlade-Chamberlain.

-------------------McCarthy----------------------

-----Stephens------Hoedt---------Yoshida------

Cedric--------------Romeu-------------Bertrand

--------Hojbjerg------------Lamina--------------

-------------------------------Gabbiadini---------

-------------------Carrillo-------------------------

This, we need three CB's against their 3 man attack, Yoshida, because he is quick, Hojberg for the attacking element, Lamina for the beast element Romeu as DM, them Gab backing up, and feeding off Carrillo, Sores and Bertrand for width. imho of course.

-------------------McCarthy----------------------

-----Stephens------Hoedt---------Yoshida------

Cedric--------------Romeu-------------Bertrand

--------Hojbjerg------------Lamina--------------

-------------------------------Gabbiadini---------

-------------------Carrillo-------------------------

This, we need three CB's against their 3 man attack, Yoshida, because he is quick, Hojberg for the attacking element, Lamina for the beast element Romeu as DM, them Gab backing up, and feeding off Carrillo, Sores and Bertrand for width. imho of course.

Can’t see us suddenly changing system. It’ll be something like...

McCarthy; Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand; Hojbjerg Romeu Lemina; JWP Davis Tadic; Carrillo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately I think Liverpool set up perfectly to take advantage of our weaknesses, as we are incapable of hurting teams on the counter they'll dominate the ball and find holes at the back to break us down. Not a game I'm looking forward to, despise the club / fans and dlckhead of a manager, was a beautiful sight seeing Klopp so upset at Spurs late equaliser.

Last season was brilliant not losing to them in 4 games, lets hope we can do it again. I'd take a point.