Saints v Liverpool build up

Heisenberg

Well he is talking about dropping two players with a combined total of one goal between them ( bit harsh on Guido I know) for two players with a combined total of one goal between them so I'm not sure it makes that much difference..
Guido is our record signing and a striker. presumably brought in because our fit strikers are terrible goal scorers in our current set up

why on earth wouldn't he play in a big game?

Edited by Batman

Guido is our record signing and a striker. presumably brought in because our fit strikers are terrible goal scorers in our current set up

Because he isn't very quick and the lower PL league sides do better when they sit deep and play on the counter. Which is a better fit for Long.

Guido is a different type of striker to Long. The tactics of opponents differ from game-to-game, ergo you play the type of striker that works best against those tactics.

Yes, I know that such 'logic' has to be balanced against the goalscoring form of said strikers, but surely applying tactical logic to striker selection is more sensible than playing the same type of striker game in, game out for the sake of it, just because they happen to cost more than the other available strikers?

do you think Guido will be dropped?

If it was up to me for this game yes. If we try to go toe to toe with Liverpool and play a high line with full backs pressed high Mane and Salah will **** us up.

I'd play Romeu, Hoj and Lemina with Long up top for this one and drop Boufal and Gudio.

Just because you are a record signing doesn't mean you become an automatic starter if the game doesn't suit you.

Against teams where we should dominate the ball I'd play Boufal and Gudio but this game won't be one were we dominate possession.

If it was up to me for this game yes. If we try to go toe to toe with Liverpool and play a high line with full backs pressed high Mane and Salah will **** us up.

I'd play Romeu, Hoj and Lemina with Long up top for this one and drop Boufal and Gudio.

Just because you are a record signing doesn't mean you become an automatic starter if the game doesn't suit you.

Against teams where we should dominate the ball I'd play Boufal and Gudio but this game won't be one were we dominate possession.

^This

Can we do rocket science next? :)

p.s. the more observant amongst you will recall that I had Guido, not Long, starting in my preferred line-up earlier in the thread. That'll be the raving hypocrite in me.... ;)

On reflection, I agree that Long is the better fit, tactically, for this game.

^This

Can we do rocket science next? :)

p.s. the more observant amongst you will recall that I had Guido, not Long, starting in my preferred line-up earlier in the thread. That'll be the raving hypocrite in me.... ;)

On reflection, I agree that Long is the better fit, tactically, for this game.

The shame being that you end up playing without a recognised striker on the pitch.

I’m no Long hater but I can’t think of a single game this season when having him upfront by himself has helped us when we’ve been under pressure. VVD is quick enough to deal with any threat Long’s pace may offer. I’d go with Carillo to try and unsettle them physically and get on the end of crosses/free kicks/corners. I’d sit Hoj next to Romeu and play Lemina just in front as he has the game to get up and back. JWP seems to have found a bit of form, so him on the right and Boufal or Tadic on the left.

it's a simple question. do you think Guido will be dropped?

yes or no will do fine as an answer

My hunch is that Pellegrino will be reluctant to 'drop' him as he'll be worried about the flak he'll get from the tactical geniuses in the stands.... ;)

it's a simple question. do you think Guido will be dropped?

yes or no will do fine as an answer

It's a stupid question..

I've told you what I think should happen. How would I know what will happen? The only person who knows if he will be in the team is on Sunday is MoPe. If it was up to me Long would play for this game.

I’m no Long hater but I can’t think of a single game this season when having him upfront by himself has helped us when we’ve been under pressure. VVD is quick enough to deal with any threat Long’s pace may offer. I’d go with Carillo to try and unsettle them physically and get on the end of crosses/free kicks/corners. I’d sit Hoj next to Romeu and play Lemina just in front as he has the game to get up and back. JWP seems to have found a bit of form, so him on the right and Boufal or Tadic on the left.

I think part of the problem with playing Long upfront ( other than his finishing) is we don't release the ball quick enough. His main asset is pace so he needs the ball played over the top or in behind to space early to get the best out if him. Instead we fanny about with it and then try and play it to him with his back to goal and and a couple of defenders behind him.

It's a stupid question..

I've told you what I think should happen. How would I know what will happen? The only person who knows if he will be in the team is on Sunday is MoPe. If it was up to me Long would play for this game.

what do you will happen. it is not a hard question

do you Think Pellegrino will play or drop Guido?

I see the argument about playing Long for his pace on the counter, but one thing to consider is that VVD will know all about Long having played and trained with him for two years, and will know how to deal with him. Carillo will be an unknown quantity to him, which might give us a slight advantage.

And yes, I do realise I'm clutching at straws here ;)

I see the argument about playing Long for his pace on the counter, but one thing to consider is that VVD will know all about Long having played and trained with him for two years, and will know how to deal with him. Carillo will be an unknown quantity to him, which might give us a slight advantage.

And yes, I do realise I'm clutching at straws here ;)

I was thinking the same. We will need all the advantages we can get.

I think he will play him

not hard to have an opinion on what you think the manager may do

all gone a bit weird. I wonder if you have very predicted a result or anything

Not weird just you doing your usual thing. I made it quite clear what I think we should do whether MoPe pays any attention to my opinion is of course open to debate...

Not weird just you doing your usual thing. I made it quite clear what I think we should do whether MoPe pays any attention to my opinion is of course open to debate...
I'm. not doing a usual thing. asking a question in the Liverpool build up thread where you stated long should play ahead of Guido, whether you think the manager will actually do it..... in the game against, eeeerrrrr Liverpool

for some reason, you can't bring yourself to definitively answer the question and trying to turn it into something about me

Let's leave it here.

I'm. not doing a usual thing. asking a question in the Liverpool build up thread where you stated long should play ahead of Guido, whether you think the manager will actually do it..... in the game against, eeeerrrrr Liverpool

for some reason, you can't bring yourself to definitively answer the question and trying to turn it into something about me

Let's leave it here.

This is the oddest conversation ever.

"what do you think will happen?"

"I don't know"

Has been extrapolated in to some weird argument.

From MP...

No new injury news. Austin only player not in squad

Last week was important, this game against Liverpool is massive

We have to improve and learn from last week

We have to do everything almost perfect as they are a champions league side

Most of the team now starting. Competition is there but most of the team is the same

Happy with people at the club. Everyone is respectful, even though it is tough

Understand fans unhappiness. I enjoy the wins with them. Everyone at the club is united.

This is a special game being with Southampton and hosting Liverpool and will try to do everything to win. Much better than we did away to them

We will need luck, we will need players to be efficient and produce good moments

The belief is with the players, this is a big test

We have to show some gratitude to virgil, he was a good player for the club and made great profit. But he is the past and we will do everything to win

Everyone has an opinion on virgil. I prefer fans focused on supporting our players than booing him or other Liverpool players

The market has changed due pogba and neymar. This meant big fee for virgil. The players do not set the fees, those behind them do

We had to improve small things individually and as a team, we knew we are getting better. Last week showed it. Doing the small things better.

Don't think our recent form is anything to do with virgil leaving. Will not use him as an excuse. We must not and is the easy way to do so.

We have a point to prove against Liverpool this season. The away game or spurs away was not good enough. We have to be like we were at home to spurs for example

Edited by Batman

From MP...

Most of the team now starting. Competition is there but most of the team is the same

Understand fans unhappiness. I enjoy the wins with them. Everyone at the club is united.

This is a special game being with Southampton and hosting Liverpool and will try to do everything to win. Much better than we did away to them

We will need luck, we will need players to be efficient and produce good moments

We have to show some gratitude to virgil, he was a good player for the club and made great profit. But he is the past and we will do everything to win

Everyone has an opinion on virgil. I prefer fans focused on supporting our players than booing him or other Liverpool players

The market has changed due pogba and neymar. This meant big fee for virgil. The players do not set the fees, those behind them do

We had to improve small things individually and as a team, we knew we are getting better. Last week showed it. Doing the small things better.

Don't think our recent form is anything to do with virgil leaving. Will not use him as an excuse. We must not and is the easy way to do so.

We have a point to prove against Liverpool this season. The away game or spurs away was not good enough. We have to be like we were at home to spurs for example

Cheers

From MP...

Cheers for posting, Bats.

What about Exeter to Westbury, change, then to So'ton?

No trains at all running through Salisbury area, have looked at that and you need a bus from Westbury right into Southampton.

******** to that plus the cost is ridiculous, my Mrs said National Express do a coach which is £50 and takes 8 bloody hours so not sure what Sat Nav they use.

No trains at all running through Salisbury area, have looked at that and you need a bus from Westbury right into Southampton.

******** to that plus the cost is ridiculous, my Mrs said National Express do a coach which is £50 and takes 8 bloody hours so not sure what Sat Nav they use.

Looks like a drive to Dorchester South Station from Barnstaple via Taunton and Yeovil then.

....and the goal scorers for Saints are?

Well, since the start of 2018, Saints goals have only been scored by people who did not register a single goal in the first part of the season (Aug-Dec). Long, JWP, Stephens and Sanchez (og). Based on that I predict our goal scorers will be Cedric, Hoedt and Hojberg ...