Did we really have any intention of buying Promes?

ChiefScummer

I find it hard to believe we lost out because at the last minute Spartak decided they wanted all the money up front ! And even if true why wouldn't we have another target lined up ?

Because Dithering Les left it until the last day or so of the transfer window, and no time to go on to Plan B, or C as it might have been.

Fair enough. It's probably as simple as that. Old Les just doesn't seem very good at negotiating with footballers and managers. I guess, as our head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell used to handle most of that before. Pity Lepzig got him. Seems to be a good fit for both of them. Leipzig are a very ambitious club, currently 3rd in the Bundesligs and looking to build their squad for the Champions League, and they have now got one of the most talented chief scouts in the business.

Does seem to be our problem and a recurrent theme.

I wonder how many hours/days/weeks there were between us agreeing a deal with Arsenal/Walcott and Everton coming in with their salary offer. If it was hours then I can understand us being gazumped, but if it was days or weeks between the two events then could that indicate we weren't quick enough to tie him down?

I think it happened pretty quickly and if you want to believe me the sum was ridiculous and a lot higher than his Arsenal contract and his demands.

Fair enough. It's probably as simple as that. Old Les just doesn't seem very good at negotiating with footballers and managers. I guess, as our head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell used to handle most of that before. Pity Lepzig got him. Seems to be a good fit for both of them. Leipzig are a very ambitious club, currently 3rd in the Bundesligs and looking to build their squad for the Champions League, and they have now got one of the most talented chief scouts in the business.

Forgetting of course, all the very low selling prices we got for our players from Liverpool etc, or have you airbrushed that out from your agenda?

Forgetting of course, all the very low selling prices we got for our players from Liverpool etc, or have you airbrushed that out from your agenda?
I don't think lallana or Mané's fees were particularly high. VvD, obviously and Clyne was in his last year so fair doos on that

Makes you wonder how we sign anybody if Les is that bad. Perhaps Lemina and co managed their own transfers?

It is pretty worrying if people like you reject evidence

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11229172/southampton-have-quincy-promes-bid-rejected-by-spartak-moscow

and believe what ever they think is the reality of the situation.

We bid but were not successful

Let me re-phrase what I put. I'm not convinced that we truly wanted to sign him. I'm not questioning whether we put a bid in or not necessarily, just that I don't get the feeling we were desperate for him to join.

On the flip side you could say that's financially prudent, and it is to a certain extent. I don't want the club to go back to the dark days of administration. But by all accounts the money was there for us to spend, if we are supposed to have bid £25 million and £30 million would apparently have clinched the deal, that doesn't strike me as the club being determined to secure his services.

Let me re-phrase what I put. I'm not convinced that we truly wanted to sign him. I'm not questioning whether we put a bid in or not necessarily, just that I don't get the feeling we were desperate for him to join.

On the flip side you could say that's financially prudent, and it is to a certain extent. I don't want the club to go back to the dark days of administration. But by all accounts the money was there for us to spend, if we are supposed to have bid £25 million and £30 million would apparently have clinched the deal, that doesn't strike me as the club being determined to secure his services.

You have to draw the mark somewhere. £5m is not an insignificant amount.

You have no idea what happened have you.

I have no idea either but know we bid £25m which appears to me we wanted him but not at £30m

Nothing says 'I'm not sure if I want to sign this player' like offering another club millions of pounds to sign that player.

Nothing says 'I'm not sure if I want to sign this player' like offering another club millions of pounds to sign that player.

Unless of course they deliberately wait until it's too late for the selling club to get a replacement. They could also offer a figure and or payment terms that they

know will be rejected. They can then say that they have at least tried and that will keep the happy clappers from becoming too upset.

Except that the Russian window is still open..

Anyway, some of you don't appear to understand the concept of budgets and opportunity costs. I'm sure Saints have got £30m, but just because I have £100 in my purse doesn't mean I go out and spend it on a pair of ear-rings I covet when I might want to also spend it on a holiday.

Unless of course they deliberately wait until it's too late for the selling club to get a replacement. They could also offer a figure and or payment terms that they

know will be rejected. They can then say that they have at least tried and that will keep the happy clappers from becoming too upset.

I think you’re getting us confused with West Ham.