Daniel Fox

Dusic

watched him play for Forrest a few months ago at Stamford bridge and he offers Forest exactly the same positives and negatives as we experienced. He still has a decent first touch that suggests he can play at the top level, still looks like he has a cultured left foot, but sadly he still pings the tough diagonal ball to no one rather than keep it simple giving possession away too cheaply. He still has zero pace of course, so drops deep so as to not get exposed, and overall he still leaves you utterly frustrated that you have him in your squad rather than someone better.

I spent the first half of our first season back looking for Danny Fox. He was never where he was supposed to be defensively. WBA away did for him in the end.

He was usually easy to spot, hands on hips facing our goal watching opposition score as had been beaten again by average attacker. If Carling did worst left backs ever.

I spent the first half of our first season back looking for Danny Fox. He was never where he was supposed to be defensively. WBA away did for him in the end.

Truly dreadful positional sense with no clue where his designated attacker was at any given time.... You always wanted to shout ‘he’s behind you’ ( you stupid *****) !

If Carling did worst left backs ever.

Don’t talk ****ing rubbish man. He was a really good championship player for us, certainly better than others we had at that level when we went down. Not quite good enough for the top flight, but than neither would Franny, had he been in his prime in the modern game, the level is so much higher nowadays. Like Billy Sharp & Dean Hammond, an important member of the side that got us promotion and deserves respect for that alone, rather than sarky comments from clever dicks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t talk ****ing rubbish man. He was a really good championship player for us, certainly better than others we had at that level when we went down. Not quite good enough for the top flight, but than neither would Franny, had he been in his prime in the modern game, the level is so much higher nowadays. Like Billy Sharp & Dean Hammond, an important member of the side that got us promotion and deserves respect for that alone, rather than sarky comments from clever dicks.

I am now beginning to understand that you don’t actually watch games at all.

People with a different opinion to you are not ‘Clever Dicks’ they usually just have a better understanding of the game than you.

I liked Fox, good honest pro who always gave 100%. Very sweet left foot on his day. I'll remember him with the most affection though for laughing in the faces of the inbreds who were frothing at the mouth at him when he took a throw in at fratton

A very good player for us in the Championship, not good enough to make the step up, but he was an important contributor to our promotion-winning season and I'll regard him fondly.

Agreed Although as stated above, he had the luxury of not having to defend very much.

Lord Duckhunter is right. He was the most highly rated left back in the Championship before he signed for us. He was great for us, but Luke Shaw came along and was a major improvement. To say Fox was in any way poor is plain wrong.

Seriously? Come on, he was a poor PL defender. He didn't get pushed out becasue Shaw came along, Shaw got thrown in because Fox wasn't coping. Thankfully Shaw was able to cope, although that wasn't a given at the time.

If Carling did worst left backs ever.

11 league assists in our Championship promotion season. Yep - horrendous return.

Did a great job for us at that level, and whilst found out in the Premier League played a valuable role in our rise.

I am now beginning to understand that you don’t actually watch games at all.

People with a different opinion to you are not ‘Clever Dicks’ they usually just have a better understanding of the game than you.

The guy used the words 'worst left backs ever'. LD called him out for it quite rightly. This is the usual comment from people who really don't know much about football and there are plenty of them on here. Danny Fox was a decent player, not the best by a long way and got found out in the PL but to label him as one of the worst left backs ever is just plain wrong. He did an excellent job for us in the time he was with Saints.

Lord Duckhunter is right. He was the most highly rated left back in the Championship before he signed for us. He was great for us, but Luke Shaw came along and was a major improvement. To say Fox was in any way poor is plain wrong.

Very true a good Championship player who helped us to the PL

Best we could have got in the Championship, good player. Not up to it at PL level though, not everyone can make the step up.

Didn't his one goal come against Arsenal in the 6-1..?

Didn’t he get a ton of assists for us in the championship? I know he did for Burnley which was one of the reasons we bought him.

11 league assists in our Championship promotion season. Yep - horrendous return.

Did a great job for us at that level, and whilst found out in the Premier League played a valuable role in our rise.

The primary purpose of a Defender is to defend, Danny Fox was ****ing useless at his job. Yes he did some assists. Sorry if calling him out as a charlatan means I know nothing about football, whereas in reality it shows I know more than some on here who think Danny Fox was a good defender, iansums.

Didn't his goal come when we were 5 or 6 down to Arsenal, away?

I also feel like he bleached his beard at some point after leaving saints and has a neck like a giraffe.. which is a horrible thing to say about a fellow human being but I feel that I am entitled to offer this observation as he makes a lot of money and I am somewhat envious.

and lets face it when it comes to clever dicks you broke the mould.

Fox was very limited, those Hollywood passes from one corner of the pitch to the other were a highlight when someone was near the end of it.

The wide prairie like open spaces where a left back should have been were always a concern to say the least.

The primary purpose of a Defender is to defend, Danny Fox was ****ing useless at his job. Yes he did some assists. Sorry if calling him out as a charlatan means I know nothing about football, whereas in reality it shows I know more than some on here who think Danny Fox was a good defender, iansums.

With the way we played in the Championship we were rarely on the back foot enough to need to defend with the regularity that you face in the top division. Not least when the defence was shielded by two of Scheiderlin, Cork and Hammond. It wasn't just on the left that our full backs played a key part as Richardson got 8 assists that season and Butterfield chipped in with a couple in his cameos.

The whole point being that that squad was set up for the full backs to play as secondary wingers. A luxury which paid dividends and was exactly what they were charged with doing.

I don't think anybody's defending (fnar) all of his attributes. But to claim he was anywhere near the worst left back we've seen is revisionist crap.

Some people have got such short memories - or perhaps they only started going again once we were back in the Prem.

Fox was fantastic for us in the Championship. A great left foot, strong in the tackle for that level and very good in the air defensively. Someone above said he always came in narrow to make up for his lack of pace and that was very true, so maybe given that and his aerial ability he would have been better suited to a back three.

Another person suggesting Harding was better - lol no. The only reason Harding is so fondly remembered is because Fox replaced him immediately when we got promoted to the Championship, on the odd occasion he did play he was clearly found wanting at that level.

Valuable part of a good Championship side. 11 assists in a season from left back, thanks a lot mate you did us proud when we needed it

Good post. Crossing was excellent - such as the beauty for Guly to nod in at Coventry in a 4-2 win. Limitation always pace, but ok as long as protected. Remember at Burnley when we were losing to a Charlie Austin goal and Nigel pushed Lallana, a good move which got us a point and would have been 3 Adam had kept his composure clean through. Trouble was, it exposed Danny one on one to Ross Wallace and Wallace beat him all ends up. Fortunely Jos and Fonte had good games and cleared out the danger.

watched him play for Forrest a few months ago at Stamford bridge and he offers Forest exactly the same positives and negatives as we experienced. He still has a decent first touch that suggests he can play at the top level, still looks like he has a cultured left foot, but sadly he still pings the tough diagonal ball to no one rather than keep it simple giving possession away too cheaply. He still has zero pace of course, so drops deep so as to not get exposed, and overall he still leaves you utterly frustrated that you have him in your squad rather than someone better.

Is he still utterly incapable of making a tackle though?

My favourite Danny Fox moment was away at the skates, ball goes into the stands he runs over towards it with them doing their frothing at the mouth "SCUMMAH" routine, trying to look double hard and scary, Danny Fox jumps right into the stand, casually picks up the ball and steps out again, all the double hard skate bastards go quiet. Definitely gave me a chuckle that.

Always liked his crossing, though wasn't it him attempting a square cross-field ball in his own half against Reading that basically cost us going up as champions? Or am I just assuming it was him because in my memory the ball was played left to right?

You are correct.

Was one of my favourite players from that Championship year. He was quality at that level and I was relatively confident he’d be fine in the PL. All those saying they knew he was sh*t in the Championship are revisionists that clearly didn’t post on here when we went up. Don’t remember anyone calling for him to be replaced in the summer before the Prem. He wasn’t good enough in the end, so what? Plenty aren’t and he was still very good for us.