Can any Yorkshire Saints help out Steve Moran?

Bad Wolf

From his Facebook so thought I'd share on here in case anyone has contacts:

Can anyone help or offer some advice please??

I was recently made redundant from Neill & Brown Global Logistics where I worked on the Portable Movement division as a HIAB driver driving mainly a wagon & drag for nearly 15 years. It is is now time to actively seek further employment be it HGV Class1, Class 2 or HIAB opportunities? OR do I have a complete change and take the risk of going self-employed with some sort of franchise?

I have trawled through all the job websites and set up a million email alerts and have indeed applied for a few HGV driving jobs in the Hull and York vicinity but I was just wondering if any of my KIND & HELPFUL Facebrook "friends" could point me in the right direction and help me get back earning again?

Unfortunately pro footballers of yesteryear DO NOT have sufficient funds to retire in the sun and just like most people will have to work until 67 to pay off the mortgage and support my beautiful family!!

Many thanks - please bear in mind I live between York & Hull just outside Market Weighton!

Damn, what a bloody sad story.

I'll contact my colleagues up north and see if they have anything on, or may be able to help.

Just goes to show that the 'millionaire footballer' is a recent thing.

Mega rich footballers only came to pass with TV money and global audiences. It wasn't our couple of quid for home games that were going to pay them tens of thousands a week back in the 80s. I remember selling fruit machine tickets issued by the supporters club to help the FC out.

I don't think Sanchez will be lorry driving when he finishes!

Sad that Steve Moran played with Keegan, Channon, Ball, Shilton, Armstrong.

I don't think Sanchez will be driving a lorry when he finishes!

Sad story and from what I know, a true genuine family man.

Sadly, this sort of story and the money now in the game is why I stopped handing over my hard earned. I love Saints and although have been exiled up North the past 20 years I will always be a Saint. However, I am not funding the pensions of Premier league footballers anymore when my own pension won't be sufficient to retire even modestly on. Such a sad state of affairs. Many others will disagree entirely and that's fine. The product has never been better and all that. Heck, even 5 live pundits are earning six figure salaries.

Damn, what a bloody sad story.

I'll contact my colleagues up north and see if they have anything on, or may be able to help.

Just goes to show that the 'millionaire footballer' is a recent thing.

Yes. I knew that footballer's in years gone by had struggled get by but I assumed it was players of the Stanley Matthews era. I ignorantly assumed that anyone who played top level football after about 1980 were generally fairly well off. Obviously not like they are now but you know, enough to live on.

Must be so hard for them to watch the modern game and see also rans in the PL earning 30-60k a week when they literally played to pay their bills back then.

Look at Martina, shocking full back earning enough money to make him a millionaire. Sad.

Still puts a big smile on my face and sends shivers down my spine - great day without doubt

Didnt Steve Moran get assaulted by a Pompey second string player in a bar somewhere which started off his back problem.

As an aside Steve went to Prices Grammar School in Fareham so presume he was another one picked from a PO Post Code area

According to the official history of the PFA only 41 players in England were on basic salaries of £50,000 per year in 1984-85. So it is reasonable to assume that Steve Moran was on considerably less with Saints. He would have had a very respectable income for the time, but only for a career of 16 years. Shouldn't the PFA be helping out in cases like this? It seems so unfair that Gardos is effectively set up for life by not playing for Saints.

Didnt Steve Moran get assaulted by a Pompey second string player in a bar somewhere which started off his back problem.

As an aside Steve went to Prices Grammar School in Fareham so presume he was another one picked from a PO Post Code area

Steve lived in Warsash and played in the Tyro league for Sarisbury Sparks.

According to the official history of the PFA only 41 players in England were on basic salaries of £50,000 per year in 1984-85. So it is reasonable to assume that Steve Moran was on considerably less with Saints. He would have had a very respectable income for the time, but only for a career of 16 years. Shouldn't the PFA be helping out in cases like this? It seems so unfair that Gardos is effectively set up for life by not playing for Saints.

The PFA should absolutely be helping in cases like this, rather than supporters who in the main would have earnt a lot less than players did. In comparison to today’s players they were paid a pittance, but were pretty well paid compared to the working man. Short career maybe, but plenty of jobs cease to exist or have been made redundant. The days of life time jobs went for his generation regardless of whether you were a footballer or not. The PFA should do more for retired members, they can afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk