Swearing at SMS .... tolerable or offensive ?

manina-pub

Your kids will hear swearing somewhere. It's then about how you feel about it and educate them whether they adopt it.

I took my 5 year old to the Spurs game last minute as my Dad was ill and just said "you'll hear some bad words today but that doesn't mean you need to repeat them"

Oh and by the way 5 is way to young will be waiting a few years for the next game.

in an age where we race to be offended by the slightest details and virtue signal about every topic. I am amazed football has not been in the firing line until now.

won't be long before the players will be wearing anti-swearing t-shirt or funny coloured rosettes or something

The thing is, testosterone-fuelled aggression and territorial rivalry has to be discharged somewhere, it is an innate biological feature, a primitive drive, of young males in virtually any species - and man is no exception. Instruments such as football matches allow for these impulses to be safely contained, and ultimately discharged in harmless, regular format every week. Ironically perhaps, it is these safety valves that keeps society civil. The offended snowflakes, by closing down such outlets, will simply see aggression move to other areas of everyday life, under the radar, and inflict more real-world harm.

What I don't understand is that the lady complainant only boycotts Liverpool games (she is a season ticket holder). The c word isn't exclusively used at Liverpool games is it? I recall hearing it at most games, is she actually offended by insults against Lallana and Lovren (if its the 3rd season running) rather than the c word itself? Its a very odd thing to do, to boycott a game against a particular team in case the c word is used, because as she has boycotted it for 3 years how does she actually know that the c word is used anyway? I get the sense this is really a bit of a put-up job. I don't condone use of the c word by the way, but neither would I be offended by anyone using it, its just a word/sound, used by the grammatically challenged.

swearing/profanity is a social tool employed by not just humans as a way of emphasising emotional tone, passion and to influence others. It has also been shown to be a large part in the formation of camaraderie between individuals.

It is perhaps telling that many of the people who moan about swearing will find it more acceptable do so with their partners or friends in private to fit in or emphasise emotion but in public do not mostly due to stigmas of misunderstanding and upbringing.

So if anything those who refuse to swear or use profanities (albeit in correct context) are socially more backwards than the rest as they lack the use or understanding of a valuable communicative tool.

But the Echo letter has done a nice job of further accentuating the camaraderie of the Northam stand. Swearing will now become an identifier of being ‘part of the gang’ and not just a tool to demonstrate passion and solidarity.

The thing is, testosterone-fuelled aggression and territorial rivalry has to be discharged somewhere, it is an innate biological feature, a primitive drive, of young males in virtually any species - and man is no exception. Instruments such as football matches allow for these impulses to be safely contained, and ultimately discharged in harmless, regular format every week. Ironically perhaps, it is these safety valves that keeps society civil. The offended snowflakes, by closing down such outlets, will simply see aggression move to other areas of everyday life, under the radar, and inflict more real-world harm.

Takes the edge off, doesn't it pal.

Fans complaining about swearing in the crowd. What next? Teams complaining that their players are getting tackled? Oh wait...

Anyway - Susie Dent off of Countdown isn't offended by it so that should be the end of the matter.

...The fact of the matter is, you're never going to eradicate bad language from football stadiums, ever.

They used to say the same thing about calling darkies ‘n!ggers’, and queers ‘faggots’. They seem to have done a fair job of eradicating those words.

There is an individual who sits behind me who is never shy in expressing his views about the other team and their supporters. When Brighton scored the other week he was on his feet screaming "You f***ing gay c****" at the opposing supporters. How he knew their sexual orientation I don't know but he seemed pretty certain about it!

However a couple of season ago he made me laugh in the game against Stoke. He was droning on with his usual expletives and exploded with '' I hate Stoke, I hate f***ing Stoke, this games got f***ing nil nil all over it''. Stoke were a goal up at this point!

I am writing an apology in advance to anyone who may be offended in the Itchen North tomorrow after hearing me swear.

It will not be my intention to cause offence to my fellow Saints fans but some words will unfortunately slip out that may upset certain individuals.

If my passion starts to run away with me it will either be we are playing very poorly or giving those splendid chaps from the opposition a damn good thrashing.

So jolly good game to all

They used to say the same thing about calling darkies ‘n!ggers’, and queers ‘faggots’. They seem to have done a fair job of eradicating those words.

A word in your shell-like son, the terms "darkie" and "queer" are also frowned upon in some circles. Just a heads up.

I like a good swear as much as the next man but one point that doesn’t seem to have been made is that there there is a hierarchy of swear words, and the c word is very definitely class A.

This lady has zero support but, while her suggestion of clearing the stand is clearly, um, grandstanding, I have a bit of sympathy for her. I have brought my kids to footy many times over the years and I think I would have thought twice about it if I anticipated exposing them to frequent Class A swearing.

This discussion has also got me thinking that the only person I remember swearing near me is.... me. But I certainly wouldn’t venture into Class A territory generally (I’m thinking, away game, adults only, several pre match beers, plus abject referring performance might equal an airing of the c word).

I’m pretty sure if someone started throwing a few c bombs around in the itchen and there were kids in the vicinity they’d get a tap on the shoulder and a “there’s kids around mate” warning and the response would almost certainly be “oh, sorry mate, got carried away”.

If I fancied throwing a few c bombs around in a public place I would feel much more at home in the Northam.

Perhaps the way forward is for the club to help by renaming each of the stands after the worst swear word acceptable in that area of the ground?

Perhaps the way forward is for the club to help by renaming each of the stands after the worst swear word acceptable in that area of the ground?

That could help the more faint-of-heart of our support choose the most suitable area. Northam: The C***s Stand - home/away c***s only. Itchen/Kingsland: The Doddery Old F**kers Stand. Chapel: The Boring Old B*st*rds Stand. No confusion there.

Reminds me of back in the early 80s when Cloughie had a banner displayed on the pitch in front of their Trent End "Gentlemen, No Swearing Please. Brian".

A week or so later, SFC got in on the act and put one in front of the Milton saying something like, "No Banners Needed at The Dell. Lawrie" (other than sticking a big banner up to say it!), I think it was roundly received with with a chorus of F's, C's and W's.

Bet the woman who wrote to the Echo missed a bumper sized treat today on the swearometer.

And just for the record:

Les Reed is a ****

Pelligrino is a ****

Ross Wilson is a trainee ****

The team - predominantly a bunch of useless ****s.

VD, Lallana et al,it goes without saying, are also...