Swearing at SMS .... tolerable or offensive ?

manina-pub

Letter to the Daily Echo from someone clearly upset about the "C" word.

Interesting mix of comments below the article.. no one, however, has mentioned the encouragement in the use of firearms to kill the pimply scum :)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15983509.READER_LETTER__I_m_not_going_to_St_Mary_s_this_weekend_because_I_don_t_want_to_hear_the_C_word/?ref=rss

Interesting mix of comments below the article.. no one, however, has mentioned the encouragement in the use of firearms to kill the pimply scum :)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15983509.READER_LETTER__I_m_not_going_to_St_Mary_s_this_weekend_because_I_don_t_want_to_hear_the_C_word/?ref=rss

**** **** **** ****!!

Typical of today's society where people are looking to get offended by anything and get everything banned. It's just a word ffs and besides, the more it is used the less of an impact it has. There are far more important issues in the world for people to get their knickers in a twist about.

Hmmm, good job the poor dear didn't attend football in days of yore then.

Considering the type of a performance we have been witnessing lately I would say 'Justified'.

I agree that people need to get a life a bit, and it's definitely not going to change. Swearing is part of football songs and is also often hilarious.

I do think however that certain fans who sit in the chapel end on occasion should be more aware of their surroundings. The fact is there is a family section for a reason, and some bald fat guy standing up shouting "YOU **** REDMOND YOURE ****", whilst potentially warranted, isn't really appropriate when surrounded by the 2nd Botley Cub group.

Typical of today's society where people are looking to get offended by anything and get everything banned. It's just a word ffs and besides, the more it is used the less of an impact it has. There are far more important issues in the world for people to get their knickers in a twist about.

"It's just a word ... the more it is used the less of an impact it has."

Would this argument fly when applied to racist language, or homophobic language?

Are there distinctions to be drawn between utterances made in private, or semi-private, situations and those spoken (or yelled) out in the general public?

Should behaviour and speech be moderated when children are present?

Can someone tell my why that word in particular causes offence? It baffles me. Is it an age thing? And as for asking the stewards to enforce some kind of action - it would end up like a monty python sketch!

Silly bunt

It baffles you? Really? If it didn't cause offence, then it wouldn't be chanted—n'est-ce pas?

Would this argument fly when applied to racist language, or homophobic language?

Are there distinctions to be drawn between utterances made in private, or semi-private, situations and those spoken (or yelled) out in the general public?

Should behaviour and speech be moderated when children are present?

Should children be taken into the Northam stand where is guaranteed to be that type of bad language or should you take them to the family section which is there for a reason !?

It makes me wonder how people ever leave the house, to be honest. Imagine what her life must be like if she gets so offended as to write a letter about a swear word.

I'm glad she won't be there, and wish she wouldn't return.

I agree that people need to get a life a bit, and it's definitely not going to change. Swearing is part of football songs and is also often hilarious.

I do think however that certain fans who sit in the chapel end on occasion should be more aware of their surroundings. The fact is there is a family section for a reason, and some bald fat guy standing up shouting "YOU **** REDMOND YOURE ****", whilst potentially warranted, isn't really appropriate when surrounded by the 2nd Botley Cub group.

Swearing in the family section definitely should be stamped down.

But that mother's pipe dream of clearing out the entire Northam Stand... :lol: :lol:

Tell me, would chants and songs from the Northam end not be heard at all in the family section?

As a family stand resident these days, you can clearly hear most chants. I'll never forget when 'Arry was in the opposition dugout & our crowd were accusing him of being a keen proponent of the art of self pleasure and my then 9 year old son looked at me and said "Daddy, now i know what Harry Redknapp is...".

As a family stand resident these days' date=' you can clearly hear most chants. I'll never forget when 'Arry was in the opposition dugout & our crowd were accusing him of being a keen proponent of the art of self pleasure and my then 9 year old son looked at me and said "Daddy, now i know what Harry Redknapp is...".[/quote']

Ha, ha! Classic. :)

"C*nt" doesn't directly attack a minority group in the way that "n*gger" or "queer" does, which is why you rarely hear the latter nowadays. If anything, "c*nt" seems to have become more acceptable than it used to be, I've heard plenty of women use the word. But I've never claimed to be perfect........ :D

In the Echo she writes...

If they wrote to all ticket holders in the Northam Stand two weeks before the game, warning that if the song is heard, the whole end will be cleared, I can promise they would only have to clear that stand once, and they would stamp out this abuse.

Would love to see the stewards trying to clear the whole of the Northam Stand during a game! That sort of threat would mean that it'll just be sung more.

Get a grip love!

We do have some delicate and precious little flowers in our support don't we?

Has always been like that, even at the Dell. First heard the c word at the football in the 80s although actually from a drunken QPR visiting fan who was late to the game and in the Milton End enthustically imploring Trevor Francis to get in the penalty box. Heard it again shortly afterwards at the Derby home game and Shilts and Mark Wright’s return. Most number of c words belonged to a drunk Saints fan at the Luton LC QF - he was lobbing pound coins at Steve Foster and calling him a skate c. His drunkenness impacted on his aim and he must have chucked at least thirty - costly business by 1980s prices.

I can’t say football taught me to swear though - the schools I attended were far more the source of that.

It’s a family activity. And any adult that finds the need to use profanities has not grown up yet.

Because jumping up and down because some bloke kicks a ball into a net is a really grown up thing to do.

Swearing has always been part of football, long may it continue.

In the Echo she writes...

Would love to see the stewards trying to clear the whole of the Northam Stand during a game! That sort of threat would mean that it'll just be sung more.

Get a grip love!

I remember being at Sunderland away a couple of years back when the Johnson song was started. One lad was arrested so up started 3000 others ... he was de-arrested shortly after and the game continued. Good luck clearing a stand is all I will say.

It’s like a church, already, watching football. In the old days “Pompey scum”, “sign on”vs Liverpool, “sit down, Pinocchio”, “touch of a” and my personal favourite, “you used to be good but now you’re ****” brightened many a dull Saturday afternoon. I wish we could go back to those days. Sure they weren’t very pc and in very bad taste but even if the football was dull, the atmosphere wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she does'nt like the atmosphere watch it on TV ,

Fed up with all the PC rubbish and positive discrimination rubbish . part of the fun of football is singing loudly shouting at the top of your voice if you want too and generally people sit or stand where they want in the ground on the basis of the experience they want to savour , some of the best times are the likes of taunting David James when he was live on BT Sport in front of the Northam, or 'he's got a pineapple on his head to the lad from Notts Forest or 'you let your country down'

They tell us every year to sitdown , never works , so telling us not to sing hmm cant see that working either

St Mary's isnt a church , and most church ceromonies i've been to in the last few years no-one really sings they mumble!

If someone is near the family area, then yeah, they should consider their language in case younger children are there.

As for being in the rest of the ground, open season on profanities (as long as it's not racist, etc, etc).

You don't go to a football match to be 'polite'. You go for passion and a release of emotional energy.

The language used at the footy is symptomatic of the average IQ of a football fan, swearing every other word just makes you sound dull and if every other word is f*** or c*** what's the point it looses all impact and just becomes mundane.

Knowing the when to use loses and looses in a sentence is also symptomatic of the average IQ of a football fan.

I don't particularly swear a lot myself, my snap dragon swears at me way more than I swear at her, but if others want to swear at football that's up to them. I certainly won't get offended by swearing in songs sung by our supporters and even if you did there's absolutely nothing to be gained by making a fuss about it. Swearing has always been a part of football, the only thing that's changed is the chants, and abuse used to be a bit more original and a bit more amusing. Chanting Lovren you're a ****, or their new version Virgil you're a ****, is going to get a bit tedious Sunday imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't go to a football match to be 'polite'.

I'd refer a bear-pit of an atmosphere myself, but most of the St Mary's crowd are far too polite, if you look at many of the comments on that Echo article it pretty much confirms it!

One things for sure, you'll only be hearing Liverpool fans on TV on Sunday as Sky know what's coming from the Northam and will have 'home' mics switched off!

I'd refer a bear-pit of an atmosphere myself, but most of the St Mary's crowd are far too polite, if you look at many of the comments on that Echo article it pretty much confirms it!

One things for sure, you'll only be hearing Liverpool fans on TV on Sunday as Sky know what's coming from the Northam and will have 'home' mics switched off!

20uts7l.jpg

"refer" what a 'c', someone's taking the 'p'..."prefer"