Banning old gits from voting

benjii

Tbf, I did start by saying the UK as a whole is one of the most densely populated countries which is true. It would be nice to know how England alone compares to the Netherlands. Check out the growth in population in the 25 years between 1967 and Maastricht in 1992, which is negligible, and then compare the growth between 1992 and 2017. This huge rate of increase cannot solely be down to people living longer, although for sure that is one factor. The government needs to come up with a different housing policy because many people now live alone, small properties are being snapped up by investors, and the pace of private development cannot keep up with demand. Hence the extortionate cost of housing and why the young are finding it difficult to get on the ladder.

I didn't mean to correct you, I mentioned the Netherlands to make the comparison with the UK... ;)

It appears that housing problems are comparable but I get the impression that the pension system, social welfare and healthcare are way better in the Netherlands (as long as the EU (Merkel & Macron) stay clear from these).

The population in the Netherlands grew from 12,5 million in 1967 to 15 million in 1992, it's 17 million at this moment so nothing spectacular there. It's different in the UK where the population grew from 55,6 million in 1970 to 57,9 million in 1995, in 2015 it's already 64,7 million and yes, according to Migration Watch immigration is key in this rapid growth and the problems in the housing market.

Like days of old when I used to pay my subscription I find myself agree with you again Benj..... on all the points on this thread basically.

As per usual I waffled through those paragraphs and got bored at the end, but basically I see the future like to say, by returning University to the elite, and looking into apprenticeships for those less academically able. I would even suggest looking at options to allow kids to start apprenticeships in say years 10/11 if they are looking at poor academic results.

The last sentence is an absolute no brainer but it'll never happen due to Government employment figures.

As someone at the tail end of the so called baby boomer era, born 1957, this discussion is a very sad one. Our society is becoming more divisive and polarised by the day, and to my mind at the heart of this is our outdated political system, and outdated political parties. The outdated 2 party system stifles real debate, the movement to the right and left has exposed much that is distasteful in our society; both sides are equally to blame, in their lust for power they choose to vilify and divide society. The printed media is grossly irresponsible and modern e-media has provided an anonymous platform for unpleasant and spiteful comment.

Every generation has difficult challenges, the nature of those challenges change but each generation has to face them. The blanket labelling of older voters, as self-interested, uncaring and well off is as puerile as labelling our youth as rude, lazy and disrespectful.

After 45 years later have paid tax, NI, contributed to my pension, paid of my mortgage and raised 6 children having been fortunate enough to have been gainfully employed the whole time. I am now contemplating retirement. I have planned and paid for a reasonable pension, but my income will reduce by well over 50%. Having started full time employment at 15 I will not receive a state pension until I am 66, without my own pension planning that would mean I would have to work for 51 years before receiving a retirement income. The majority of today’s generation do not start work until at least 18 and those who go to university don’t start until at least 21, more commonly 22 or 23 having taken a gap year (tell me what is that and how is it funded?).

As someone at the tail end of the so called baby boomer era, born 1957, this discussion is a very sad one. Our society is becoming more divisive and polarised by the day, and to my mind at the heart of this is our outdated political system, and outdated political parties. The outdated 2 party system stifles real debate, the movement to the right and left has exposed much that is distasteful in our society; both sides are equally to blame, in their lust for power they choose to vilify and divide society. The printed media is grossly irresponsible and modern e-media has provided an anonymous platform for unpleasant and spiteful comment.

Every generation has difficult challenges, the nature of those challenges change but each generation has to face them. The blanket labelling of older voters, as self-interested, uncaring and well off is as puerile as labelling our youth as rude, lazy and disrespectful.

After 45 years later have paid tax, NI, contributed to my pension, paid of my mortgage and raised 6 children having been fortunate enough to have been gainfully employed the whole time. I am now contemplating retirement. I have planned and paid for a reasonable pension, but my income will reduce by well over 50%. Having started full time employment at 15 I will not receive a state pension until I am 66, without my own pension planning that would mean I would have to work for 51 years before receiving a retirement income. The majority of today’s generation do not start work until at least 18 and those who go to university don’t start until at least 21, more commonly 22 or 23 having taken a gap year (tell me what is that and how is it funded?).

Too many people get too old Moonraker. Luckily I live in the Netherlands which is a bit more liberal about euthanasia than the UK. It won't take too long before we have some kind of pill for those who believe their lifes must come to an end and want an easy way out. That will save some taxmoney... ;)

Too many people get too old Moonraker. Luckily I live in the Netherlands which is a bit more liberal about euthanasia than the UK. It won't take too long before we have some kind of pill for those who believe their lifes must come to an end and want an easy way out. That will save some taxmoney... ;)

Another bleeding heart left wing liberal. So what if they "want" a way out? It ought to be compulsory :D