Walcott

Millbrook Saint

Anyone been watching everton, palace today? Have to say Walcott looks worth every penny of the £20m they paid for him, i find it hard to understand why our fans are so concerned by a players cost and if he's worth it. It comes across like the guy who's hot girlfriend leaves him and he tells everyone she wasn't hot anyway and he could get better, when deep down he knows he's punching above his weight.

Why are you using not wanting to match Everton's huge wage offer as a stick to beat him with?

I thought it had been agreed that we'd pay less per week, but the signing on fee would in affect make it the same. Money appeared to be no problem, even if Everton offered more, we could and should have matched it, we had the scousers £75m and doing this would have made a statement.

The reservations about our league position and setup in general is 100% Les's fault, get a decent manager, instead of a guy doing his yts, we would have been up the league, fund decent replacements for players sold, we'd be up the league.

Not in this case. It was sorted until Everton came in. Think Sanchez with MC and MU. Nowhere near the amount but far in excess of anything we would ever contemplate paying.

Not much Saints could do about that, unless of course, it was Les’ dithering that opened the door for Everton?

Whatever happened over Walcott doesn’t change the fact that the window was a disaster. A few days into Jan we should have either signed Walcott or moved on to the next target.

Not in this case. It was sorted until Everton came in. Think Sanchez with MC and MU. Nowhere near the amount but far in excess of anything we would ever contemplate paying.

Which is it, he was offered more than he was on at Arsenal, or Everton outbid us? I would also ask why this wasn't agreed on 1st January. Pure dithering.

Simple fact is that despite being flush with cash, we refuse time and again to pay market value. The End.

Which is it, he was offered more than he was on at Arsenal, or Everton outbid us? I would also ask why this wasn't agreed on 1st January. Pure dithering.

Simple fact is that despite being flush with cash, we refuse time and again to pay market value. The End.

There's been plenty of dithering from Les, but not sure this is one of those times. Arsenal weren't agreeing to the deal on 1st January despite the player supposedly agreeing to the move.

There's been plenty of dithering from Les, but not sure this is one of those times. Arsenal weren't agreeing to the deal on 1st January despite the player supposedly agreeing to the move.

They would have agreed if we paid them what they wanted, the same as we did for VVD. Whether he was worth that is debatable, however our insistence to pay only OUR valuation has cost us players in the past and will in the future.

We usually get players late as we hold out to pay what we believe is the right value and that will always carry the risk of being gazumped.

• 1 year later...

So, just to stir the pot a bit....

FIL is an Everton fan, and while he wouldn't be classed as 'ITK', he has a contact at Finch Farm who is apparently very much 'ITK'.

The latest rumour? Walcott is on his way back to Saints in the summer. Wages are being discussed, but he's willing to take a pay cut.

I scoffed when he told me, to which he said that he agreed it sounded strange, but that this chap at FF is very rarely wrong. Has nothing to prove, either.

So there we go. Make of it what you will!

FIL is an Everton fan, and while he wouldn't be classed as 'ITK', he has a contact at Finch Farm who is apparently very much 'ITK'.

The latest rumour? Walcott is on his way back to Saints in the summer. Wages are being discussed, but he's willing to take a pay cut.

I scoffed when he told me, to which he said that he agreed it sounded strange, but that this chap at FF is very rarely wrong. Has nothing to prove, either.

Good player & always wanted him back, but he’s 30 now.

Doesn’t quite gel with the “1st or 2nd contract” Ralph spoke about.

Would be a big fee too.

Imagine he'll be avaliable in and around the 10-15 million mark, 70k p/w wages?

I mean, he looks shot these days. Doesn't look fit and looks like injuries have caught up with him. I'd rather shell out on a strong leading CB rather than focus on someone like Theo, as I don't think we'll have much dollar to play with.

Thanks for posting for right fee and wages he improves us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but most prem strikers would do that. Given his age and the presumably large wages he would command even with a pay cut, there are better options.

This basically. He doesn’t exactly represent value for money these days.

I’d rather take a chance on someone younger who could be the next Mané or the next Moi but at least has the potential to be decent.

This basically. He doesn’t exactly represent value for money these days.

I’d rather take a chance on someone younger who could be the next Mané or the next Moi but at least has the potential to be decent.

Adams, James or Bowen maybe?

Sorry to be the downer here, but there's nothing in this. Wish there was! There's been no contact between Saints and Theo (yet, at least!) and we're not expecting any to come.

Would only have Walcott here if it was on a free transfer and a low basic wage with bonuses when he scores.

I don’t know what to think of Walcott’s career, played some big games but never really made it. Won’t be surprised if he retires in his early thirties.

Sorry to be the downer here, but there's nothing in this. Wish there was! There's been no contact between Saints and Theo (yet, at least!) and we're not expecting any to come.

No apology needed! I was very skeptical about it, and it didn't really make sense to me. I only mentioned it as this contact is about 90% accurate. Theo could easily be in the 10%.

No apology needed! I was very skeptical about it, and it didn't really make sense to me. I only mentioned it as this contact is about 90% accurate. Theo could easily be in the 10%.

Last summer was a different story though. There was contact and Theo and fam were keen, but financials got in the way.

I think he would add to the squad and possibly the team- so don't write him off just yet. He is better than some of our squad players and would be working under a v good manager. So, if the terms are right, I can see this possibly happening. If not, then I still wish him well!