Saints 0 Liverpool x - Post Match

St Chalet

Second half was depressing.

First half there were some brighter moments in possession either side of 2 hoedt mistakes for the goals.

Still have no idea what we saw in Carrillo to spend the sort of money we did on him. Seems completely mediocre.

To be honest, if fans of his old team think his hold up play and first touch is poor in a league when you have loads of time on the ball then you struggle to see how he is going to have an impact here.

That said looks a threat in the box if he receives the right service and looks committed.

If that is the best we can do with that record money spent then we do have a serious scouting problem.

So in the transfer window we needed to add speed and a bit of character. We can see it, but our football ‘experts’ can’t.

Pellegrino is obviously limited at this stage of his career (he may learn for his next job and may also get better more motivated players, which ours clearly aren’t) so the blame from me for our situation lies firmly with an absolutely pathetic and self serving board of directors, and current owner who doesn’t care and previous owner who just wanted to get rid of the club and get as much money as possible, regardless of the sh1t situation it left the football club in.

The Telegraph match tracker concluded that Saints deserve to be in the relegation zone based on this “afternoon of gutlessness.”

I’m not sure I can disagree with that summary. It’s very disappointing to see the level of fight and passion exhibited by other struggling and less talented teams like Swansea and Newcastle, and then watch Pellegrino’s side produce today’s flaccid second half performance.

Maybe you can't blame MP for losing to Liverpool, but you surely can blame him for putting the team in a position where the Liverpool match is something we need to win. We are in relegation right now, with a squad that got 8th last season. Other managers have been fired for much less.

Maybe you can't blame MP for losing to Liverpool, but you surely can blame him for putting the team in a position where the Liverpool match is something we need to win. We are in relegation right now, with a squad that got 8th last season. Other managers have been fired for much less.

Or maybe the problem goes higher up, we played like this for the tail end of last season.

MP may or may not be any good but it is hardly all his fault.

After all that hoo-ha in the echo and on here not once did I hear the c bomb at van Dijk or Lallana. Was like a church. Not even W word. He must’ve been quaking in his boots what with the bear pit atmosphere. I think we shaded first half but once Lemina went off (I hear he was sick? ?) we never looked like getting back in. Pathetic from the crowd. Pathetic from the players. Pathetic from the manager. Half time enertainment was dire (I mean 3 year olds kicking a size 3 ball into a hole?!? What da ****?!) and that Chinese dragon / dog thing? What the **** wax that all about? It had remained that blinked ffs. At least Kenzue was looking good. Literally, only remotely interesting thing all day. Wish I’d saved my £4.50 on parking and watched it on sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F*cking Hoedt. If it isn't Stephens, it's Hoedt, and if it isn't Hoedt, it's Stephens. Most of the time I think he's going to turn out to be a decent CB, and then he has a mare like today. Get Yoshida back out there. Or something. There has been such a degradation in our defending this year, which is some achievement given our generally cautious line-ups :mcinnes:

About two weeks ago, West Brom beat Liverpool 3-2, knocking them out of the FA Cup. Did Liverpool play a weakened team against West Brom because they ought to have had enough clout to have overcome them with their galaxy of star players? No, apart from the GK and left back Moreno, it was exactly the same team that we played today. So West Brom played a full strength Liverpool team and beat them. The difference is that West Brom played two strikers up top, closed Liverpool down, denying them space and got in their faces, wanting it more. And although Pardew manages a team he inherited in freefall, he still has probably more about him tactically and motivationally than Pellegrino.

On the face of it having heard the team selection, it at least seemed that we were for once intent on playing our strongest midfield with Romeu, Hojbjerg and Lemina, but I suspected that we should have also strengthened the back line to the maximum with three CBs, as with Liverpool's pace, it cried out for Yoshida to play. The weakness also lay up top with the usual stubborn bone-headed obstinacy from the Argie pub team manager to play two strikers, preferring the more lightweight Tadic and Ward-Prowse to supply the lone, isolated Carillo, who offered hardly anything, certainly no more than Gabbiadini would have. This incompetant manager looks as if he could be about to make it a double of strikers made ineffectual by not having a partner up top to play off, so that we might as well not bothered signing Carillo and saved ourselves £19 million.

Although our defending for Liverpool's first goal was comically inept, we nevertheless managed to give a good account of ourselves until they scored their second. But even with a full second half to make amends, we came out meek as lambs, no drive, no desire, no effort, a totally unacceptable display from the players and further tactical ineptitude from Pellegrino. What does he say to them at half time? Does he not have any abilities to motivate players, to instill the belief in them that they can turn the match around? Obviously not. I can't recall a second half performance under him that was much better than the first half one. And then the substitutions were almost comical, as if it involved him sticking a pin in the list of names on the bench rather than employing any mental agility to tactically negate Liverpool's threats, or to increase ours. Once again, the Northam showed their contempt with chants of "you don't know what you're doing".

Lemina had to go off because he had picked up a knock, but when he was replaced by Boufal on just 57 minutes, it was immediately obvious that the midfield was weakened. Liverpool's tactically far more astute manager Klopp, immediately realised this and replaced Oxlade-Chamberlain for Millner, adding muscle to their midfield. From that point onwards, we were being overrun in midfield and totally lost our forward threat and any service towards their box. Then on 71 minutes, he brings Long on for Ward-Prowse, who had been one of our more creative players. OK, Long gives us pace and a never say die attitude, but by that time, we just couldn't be bothered to break at pace when we had possession, so as usual, by the time the ball found its way forward, the Liverpool defence was solid as a rock. The final act of total incompetance was bringing off Romeu for Davis. Davis should have been on, if at all, when Lemina went off. Had we the intent to have made a match of it and gone for Liverpool's throats in a do or die attitude, then Long or Gabbiadini should have been introduced at half time to accompany Carillo. But Pellegrino only considers two up top when the match is already lost.

So here we are, back in the bottom three, two weeks to wait until we can do something about it with our next match. Even though a loss against Liverpool was largely to be expected, the lame way that we played in the second half will have had our heads drop, so that team spirit will be poor. Other team around us have had some results go for them, so that they will fancy their chances playing us. It is futile expecting that we can rid ousrelves of this talentless oaf of a manager, so unless there are three teams worse than us, then hello Championship again next season.

The one positive is that I didn’t have this down on my list of the 14 points we need to survive, which I still think can come from wins against Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea and Bournemouth along with draws at Burnley and Wet Spam. Also, after an awful Hoedt error again (remember Bournemouth), I thought we looked the better side for much of the first half wasting three great chances.

Second half was a throw the towel in performance I am afraid and was up there with Spurs Boxing Day where we did the same. Very worrying.

As others have said these next five league games and West Brom will decide our season and overall I don’t think today will have done either way. I think Hoedt is too casual for this standard of football right now and I would recall Yoshida to play alongside Stephens. That partnership looked quite good after VVD injury last season.

Just got home.

Absolutely dreadful.

A bit of fight for the first 30 mins but as soon as the 2nd goal went in there was nothing.

The frustrating thing is we all know that the ability of this squad should have us easily in the top ten.

Gutless.

Bertie and lemina are the only 2 who come out with any credit.

Why is yoshi not starting? 10 times the defender Stephens is

And every striker we play seems to go backwards within minutes of getting round the stink that is saints.

Gabbi, long , and now Carrillo all look Sunday league players in this system. It’s not because they’re poor.../it’s the system.

Please please please sack this clueless manager now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pile of sh1te. On 60 mins I thought might as well leave as was just annoying -I didn’t but never felt like this before. No fight and a training game. What a fcking depressing evening.

Fckers praising Hojberg - can’t make a basic fcking pass.

Carrillo can’t make a run. They are all cnts apart from Yoshida

I have been supporting Saints since 1959 when my dad took me to my first game as a five year old and I have held a season ticket for 35 years. During that time there have been many highes and lows but todays second half performance has got to be one of the lowest.

Ha ha ha!

Just read this thread.

All of you saying silva is the answer, can you explain why?

Took hull down and was taking Watford down hence why he was sacked.

I want MP out but Christ.. you’ll be better off with me in charge rather than Silva.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liverpools's first goal was scored just after we took a corner, how bad was that.

Tactically this man is inept. Liverpool had a very high defensive line, what do we do, two pedestrians and a lone striker, plus a player that should have been in midfield. You can't score goals except from set pieces if you don't play proper forwards and some pace. What should he have done. Played Long, Carillo and Gabbiadini and maybe Sims with the forwards pushed up then put the ball over the top of the high line. Forget about playing 500 passes going nowhere in front of them.

Their goalkeeper is awful and would never catch, again stick the ball under his crossbar from all the set pieces. Every time he passes the ball out we should have stuck a marker on him to stop them passing it back. Unsettle them by pressing hard and forcing mistakes. The manager can't just keep picking the same system and shuffling his slow non scorers.

We have to go for broke and start in the cup next week then carry it on. Play four forwards and forget about playing one forward and five midfielders. If Pellegrino wants to carry on with his timid stupidity, sack him now.

Ha ha ha!

Just read this thread.

All of you saying silva is the answer, can you explain why?

Took hull down and was taking Watford down hence why he was sacked.

I want MP out but Christ.. you’ll be better off with me in charge rather than Silva.

He was doing just fine at Watford before the whole Everton thing and Hull had a far, far, far inferior squad to the one we have.

I'm not saying he is the answer but it's almost at the point of having nothing to lose. We could be about to see one of the most talented and expensive squads ever to be relegated.

Thought Liverpool were pretty sloppy first half and we could have capitalised. The ball over the top for Bertrand was working well. But other than there was little to no pace in the team and they could push up with impunity while we pushed the ball around sideways.

Second half was dreadful. Felt like a preseason game devoid of intensity and leadership. And you know MP would have stalled on the subs had the Lemina injury not forced his hand. Only consolation is that I left early and made the 18.25 train.

F*cking Hoedt. If it isn't Stephens, it's Hoedt, and if it isn't Hoedt, it's Stephens. Most of the time I think he's going to turn out to be a decent CB, and then he has a mare like today. Get Yoshida back out there. Or something. There has been such a degradation in our defending this year, which is some achievement given our generally cautious line-ups :mcinnes:

Neither of them are up to the standard and that's the rub.

Not long back after my 200 mile round trip as a suffering ST holder (won't be an issue next season).....the first half was ok but I always had the feeling liverpool were containing us quite comfortably, letting us play it around. Awful defending for the two goals. Again. 2nd half was terrible - it was a performance from a team of individuals waiting for relegation so they can go and play somewhere else.

The 'management' of this club have lost the fans - poor signings, cheap managers and zero communication. No wonder we all sit there in stunned silence.

This is becoming farcical. Everyone wants him out, then we win v WBA and everyone goes quiet, now we lose (pathetically) v Liverpool and it all starts again, no wonder the Board are undecided. So are most fans.

He should have gone before Xmas. We need (ed) decisive leadership on and off the pitch, but at the moment the fanbase and the Board are pandering to the latest result with no long term concentration on the bigger picture.

About two weeks ago, West Brom beat Liverpool 3-2, knocking them out of the FA Cup. Did Liverpool play a weakened team against West Brom because they ought to have had enough clout to have overcome them with their galaxy of star players? No, apart from the GK and left back Moreno, it was exactly the same team that we played today. So West Brom played a full strength Liverpool team and beat them. The difference is that West Brom played two strikers up top, closed Liverpool down, denying them space and got in their faces, wanting it more. And although Pardew manages a team he inherited in freefall, he still has probably more about him tactically and motivationally than Pellegrino.

On the face of it having heard the team selection, it at least seemed that we were for once intent on playing our strongest midfield with Romeu, Hojbjerg and Lemina, but I suspected that we should have also strengthened the back line to the maximum with three CBs, as with Liverpool's pace, it cried out for Yoshida to play. The weakness also lay up top with the usual stubborn bone-headed obstinacy from the Argie pub team manager to play two strikers, preferring the more lightweight Tadic and Ward-Prowse to supply the lone, isolated Carillo, who offered hardly anything, certainly no more than Gabbiadini would have. This incompetant manager looks as if he could be about to make it a double of strikers made ineffectual by not having a partner up top to play off, so that we might as well not bothered signing Carillo and saved ourselves £19 million.

Although our defending for Liverpool's first goal was comically inept, we nevertheless managed to give a good account of ourselves until they scored their second. But even with a full second half to make amends, we came out meek as lambs, no drive, no desire, no effort, a totally unacceptable display from the players and further tactical ineptitude from Pellegrino. What does he say to them at half time? Does he not have any abilities to motivate players, to instill the belief in them that they can turn the match around? Obviously not. I can't recall a second half performance under him that was much better than the first half one. And then the substitutions were almost comical, as if it involved him sticking a pin in the list of names on the bench rather than employing any mental agility to tactically negate Liverpool's threats, or to increase ours. Once again, the Northam showed their contempt with chants of "you don't know what you're doing".

Lemina had to go off because he had picked up a knock, but when he was replaced by Boufal on just 57 minutes, it was immediately obvious that the midfield was weakened. Liverpool's tactically far more astute manager Klopp, immediately realised this and replaced Oxlade-Chamberlain for Millner, adding muscle to their midfield. From that point onwards, we were being overrun in midfield and totally lost our forward threat and any service towards their box. Then on 71 minutes, he brings Long on for Ward-Prowse, who had been one of our more creative players. OK, Long gives us pace and a never say die attitude, but by that time, we just couldn't be bothered to break at pace when we had possession, so as usual, by the time the ball found its way forward, the Liverpool defence was solid as a rock. The final act of total incompetance was bringing off Romeu for Davis. Davis should have been on, if at all, when Lemina went off. Had we the intent to have made a match of it and gone for Liverpool's throats in a do or die attitude, then Long or Gabbiadini should have been introduced at half time to accompany Carillo. But Pellegrino only considers two up top when the match is already lost.

So here we are, back in the bottom three, two weeks to wait until we can do something about it with our next match. Even though a loss against Liverpool was largely to be expected, the lame way that we played in the second half will have had our heads drop, so that team spirit will be poor. Other team around us have had some results go for them, so that they will fancy their chances playing us. It is futile expecting that we can rid ousrelves of this talentless oaf of a manager, so unless there are three teams worse than us, then hello Championship again next season.

That totally sums it up. Agreed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wonder if we have a fitness problem. That was our advantage coming into the prem with Adkins high pressing game which Poch continued. These days Tadic looks like he's puffing 10 mins into the second half, none of the midfield look like they want to move up with any pace once we have the ball in our half. Soares, Bertrand fit. Not sure about any of the others. We are second rate in the second half.

Given another 2 seasons or so both will be very good at this level in my opinion.

And yes, I know full well it doesn't look like we have those two seasons to give them...

Possibly, but they're not exactly kids at 23 and 24. But as you say, we need them to be up to the standard now not in two years time. It's not their fault they're in this position it's those who acquired them and let the corresponding players leave.

Possibly, but they're not exactly kids at 23 and 24. But as you say, we need them to be up to the standard now not in two years time. It's not their fault they're in this position it's those who acquired them and let the corresponding players leave.

Centrebacks always require a few more years experience to look top of their game.

Or maybe the problem goes higher up, we played like this for the tail end of last season.

MP may or may not be any good but it is hardly all his fault.

Actually the jury already came back months ago with their verdict: guilty on all counts of being a completely clueless, incompetent, moronic, drooling, buffoon of a manager.

listening to MoPe interview after the game , his comments on 2nd half performance I reckon he's lost the dressing now , uptil now I thought the players were with him , but there was no spirit there today , a shadow of what we were, Puel first changing the system , now MoPe not playing to player strenghts ,

I still think the players are trying, they run around a lot. But when they get the ball they look quite frightened and end up passing it back to the person that gave it. They look as if they haven't seen each other before. That is down to the manager. We know these players are all much better than they now look. This squad was without VVD and Austin for half of last season and still ended 8th. The fault is with the manager, the Board and the owners. I actually feel sorry for the players

Would love to know how the half time team talk went.

Did the players decide to down tools after what they heard from the manager, or did the manager set the tone by saying lets just settle for a 0-2 rather than going and giving it a go.

The manager is clearly not up to the task but judging by the second half display or are the players, they were truly pathetic and a embarrassment to the shirt.