Saints 0 Liverpool x - Post Match

St Chalet

That bit where they focused on MP asking his brains trust what to do on the bench. Kelvin bloody Davis and curtains hair Watson. I dunno boss. We're goalkeepers. Almost funny it's so depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think the players are trying, they run around a lot. But when they get the ball they look quite frightened and end up passing it back to the person that gave it. They look as if they haven't seen each other before. That is down to the manager. We know these players are all much better than they now look. This squad was without VVD and Austin for half of last season and still ended 8th. The fault is with the manager, the Board and the owners. I actually feel sorry for the players

I sense that there's no leadership on or off the field. And not much team spirit. No dominant characters that inspire or push other players to do their best. Too many self-centred players who put in inconsistent effort and wilt under pressure.

That bit where they focused on MP asking his brains trust what to do on the bench. Kelvin bloody Davis and curtains hair Watson. I dunno boss. We're goalkeepers. Almost funny it's so depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently appointing Davis to the coaching staff was a great move :rolleyes:

Haven't seen the game as I'm grandchildren sitting down-under.

Were we really as bad as a large majority on here think, or were Lpool really as good as the orgasming british press suggest in their reports? Or was it somewhere between - ie bad enough to make Lpool look really good?

My daughter (in Norway) watched on TV and she thought we were not that bad until they got their second.

I'm not back till the end of March, so we might already be down by then - maybe I should stay here?

Were we really as bad as a large majority on here think, or were Lpool really as good as the orgasming british press suggest in their reports? Or was it somewhere between - ie bad enough to make Lpool look really good?

My daughter (in Norway) watched on TV and she thought we were not that bad until they got their second.

I'm not back till the end of March, so we might already be down by then - maybe I should stay here?

The 2nd half we were as bad as you could ever imagine us to be. Absolutley truly horrific, devoid of any desire, application or drive. As bad as I've seen us play at home, and I've seen some disgusting home games in the last 2 years.

First half was OK.

The second half was dreadful. Really, really, really bad.

You can forgive an awful lot if players give 100%. Not for the first time this season heads dropped. By the end today they looked like they’d given up. That was desperately poor from the players and they deserve criticism but ultimately it comes down to the manager. We’ve got a nice team with a nice but ineffectual manager when what the players need is a rocket up their arses.

Had Hojberg JWP or Carillo put away one of the chances it may have been different.

That half time teamtalk....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True, you have to be clinical when you get chances. Hojberg only needed to avoid hitting the keeper. JWP isn't the best one to be on the end of a long aerial hopeful. And Carillo only had that one header under pressure from their defender. Too much careful approach play and no cutting edge.

You can forgive an awful lot if players give 100%. Not for the first time this season heads dropped. By the end today they looked like they’d given up. That was desperately poor from the players and they deserve criticism but ultimately it comes down to the manager. We’ve got a nice team with a nice but ineffectual manager when what the players need is a rocket up their arses.

True, a manager needs to motivate or see what needs to change and then make that happen. Pelegrino may be a very nice man, doesn't make waves with Reed, but he clearly can't coach or get the best out of this squad, so needs to be replaced.

The 2nd half we were as bad as you could ever imagine us to be. Absolutley truly horrific, devoid of any desire, application or drive. As bad as I've seen us play at home, and I've seen some disgusting home games in the last 2 years.

Pretty damning that you've said this when a few weeks back the Leicester game was the worst anyone had ever seen, and earlier in the season the Watford game had been the worst many had seen for years...!

I just don't understand how the owners and those in charge can watch that second half performance and then not have an overwhelming feeling that something- anything- has to change to try to bring some fire and passion onto the players. Just going through the motions and barely doing anything of note for that entire second half is soul destroying for the fans who pay so much money to go and see the players perform.

Expected a loss but the manner in which we play is a huge concern. You don’t win games without scoring and we don’t look like scoring. Very slow, pedestrian and predictable in all our build up play - that’s what you get from a forward line of Tadic and JWP with a target man type striker. The passing is poor, the shape is poor, the movement is poor. This has relegation written all over it and the only solution is in replacing the Manager...if we don’t we’re down. Blame lies squarely with Reed.

I just don't understand how the owners and those in charge can watch that second half performance and then not have an overwhelming feeling that something- anything- has to change to try to bring some fire and passion onto the players. Just going through the motions and barely doing anything of note for that entire second half is soul destroying for the fans who pay so much money to go and see the players perform.

Yep agreed, I am at a loss as to why this shambles is allowed to continue. There seems to be no urgency, concern, communication, rallying, in fact sweet FA from the club/board/owner, even the players seem to have adopted the same attitude.

I’m thoroughly disgusted with the club and how it has managed to turn relative success in the last few years into what we are witnessing now.

Yep agreed, I am at a loss as to why this shambles is allowed to continue. There seems to be no urgency, concern, communication, rallying, in fact sweet FA from the club/board/owner, even the players seem to have adopted the same attitude.

I’m thoroughly disgusted with the club and how it has managed to turn relative success in the last few years into what we are witnessing now.

And the appaling thing is, performances like this have occurred on numerous occasions this season. Leicester, Palace, Liverpool, spurs. Its an absolute disgrace that the players would consider it acceptable to perform like that for even ten minutes let alone the majority of matches.

Personally I think the fans have been too soft and shouldn't be putting up with it. Unfortunately we haven't had a real tonking against a smaller team bar maybe Leicester so fans haven't felt sufficient annoyance to really turn against the club. We will probably get pellegrino on the brink again before a draw or a win will ward it off for a few more games and we will go down limping.

Thanks for the replies to my query. Confirmed my worst fears

Things are looking pretty desperate now, and that string of three away games coming up could be the death knell. Especially as two are real 6 pointers (in fact all three could be by then).

although I actually think our chances are better because we have away games against dross. Setting up a side at home as if we are playing away is the reason for our poor form at home. A passionate away following plus playing crap teams who will feel the need to take more risks at home will help.

Maybe it will be enough.maybe

Pretty damning that you've said this when a few weeks back the Leicester game was the worst anyone had ever seen, and earlier in the season the Watford game had been the worst many had seen for years...!

Luckily I missed the Leicester game, so for me it's as bad as I've seen!

Lost to one of the best front lines in Europe and a load of you are throwing in the towel. If we play like we did last week VS WBA against the next five teams we are due to face, we will be in with a chance of winning the majority of them.
However good their goals might have been, we were lethargic and predictable. If we had shown the level of commitment that we did against WBA we would have 'gone down fighting', but instead we simply folded up with barely a whimper.

Lost to one of the best front lines in Europe and a load of you are throwing in the towel. If we play like we did last week VS WBA against the next five teams we are due to face, we will be in with a chance of winning the majority of them.

I don't have an issue with losing to Liverpool, I don't think any fans do. The problem I have is our 2nd half, the lack of any fight or urgency or desire has just done me in. You can lose, but at least show something. We offered nothing.

The problem isn't that we lost to Liverpool, its how we lost it. It was the most boring game in the world.

I don't have an issue with losing to Liverpool, I don't think any fans do. The problem I have is our 2nd half, the lack of any fight or urgency or desire has just done me in. You can lose, but at least show something. We offered nothing.

The problem isn't that we lost to Liverpool, its how we lost it. It was the most boring game in the world.

Completely agree. First half we looked good. Tadic and Bertrand had a good thing going down the left flank, we created good chances and were unlucky to go in 2 down although fair play to Liverpool who took their two goals really well.

Second half was just awful. Two down and in the relegation zone and we didn’t put in any effort at all. No urgency, no desire. Players we know are good and capable making shocking errors, passing the ball to no-one, or worse, straight into touch. Dire.

Up until yesterday's second half I was of the view we would escape relegation as we had the ability to do so. But now ... we certainly don’t have the desire and I cannot see it appearing.

I think you have missed the point - it wasnt losing to Liverpool that was the issue, it was the fact that second half was a disgrace. It was the manner of defeat rather than the outcome. If anyone looked like they were throwing in the towel it was the players in the second half.

Missed the first 25 minutes so can't say about that but after it looked like a turkey shoot, they could have had a packet and we offered nothing at all going forward. Still think that Hojbjerg brings nothing to the side in an offensive role.

Hojbjerg does good, cliché-free interviews.

High in the Kingsland at about 70 minutes we were pondering whether the managers agreed to call a truce at half time - settling for 2-0.

Minimum effort from us leaves Liverpool unscathed for their European week ahead; and we don't get torn to shreds, as anticipated at half time, by them picking us apart as we commit men up field who cant be arsed to track back.

Thought i would wait until the morning before posting my thoughts.

Very poor start to the game, Liverpool were all over us pressing and making us make mistakes. Our 2 CB's are Championship standard and nothing more and the first goal perfectly illustrated this.

After that goal we actually got better and started to give Liverpool problems and we looked like the team that would score the next goal.....then bang that killer second goal, the movement was excellent in the build up and clinically put away.

The moment that second goal went in the game was over and you could visibly see that on the players faces. There was no belief that they could get back into the game and that played out in the second half.

I have no idea why Lemina was taken off??...He was our best player by a country mile that first half.

If we can play like we did for the first 45 minutes for the rest of the season then we have a chance of staying up.

I couldn't believe the Echo this morning. The Cowardly timid manager quoted, calling for the players to be braver. The man is an eighteen carrot gold idiot. I went to the first match of the season with an open mind having bought into the publicity about attractive attacking football and find myself looking in disbelief at five midfielders and one striker and no goals.

Twenty seven matches later, third from bottom, the idiot is still playing five midfielders and one striker. All he has done is play one striker and rotated the pedestrian non scorers. Surprise, surprise, we are still only scoring from set pieces. Personally I want to see four forwards because we are going down, maybe even bottom if he keeps playing the way he is.

There is only room for two central midfielders from Lamina, Hojbjerg, Romeu, JWP, Tadic, Boufal and Davis because none of those are forwards that will get enough goals. Boufal or Tadic could conceivably play as a wide player on the left of a 4-4-2 but if Sims is fit he should be brought at least onto the bench with Hesketh replacing the useless Davis on the bench.

If we play only two defensive midfielders then the other contenders including the pedestrians have to be left out irrespective of JWP's so called expertise with set pieces. If he doesn't rate a place as a midfielder leave him out. We had 52% possession FFS, what's the ****ing point if nearly all of it is in our own half. The nine non strikers passing the ball backwards and sideways maybe floats the managers boat, but it is the most meaningless way of playing because it demonstrates a negative attitude. No forwards, no pace, going nowhere except down.

This manager made three substitutions, Boufal 58mins, Long 71mins, Davis WTF 81minutes. they were all meaningless and accentuated the shapeless mess we were in. 2-0 down, the notoriously fragile Liverpool defence completely comfortable, radical change was required not timid tinkering. Half time, Gabbiadini and Long on, JWP and one of the midfielders off (Lamina sick) and start sticking the ball over and behind and put runners onto it. At least go for it.

What bloody silly tactic, two goals down, was bringing Davis on, to wave his arms duck tackles and contribute less than nothing. Why not Gabbiadini? If we are going down, let's go down fighting not falling out of the league because the manager is too frightened or too stupid to change.

Thought i would wait until the morning before posting my thoughts.

Very poor start to the game, Liverpool were all over us pressing and making us make mistakes. Our 2 CB's are Championship standard and nothing more and the first goal perfectly illustrated this.

After that goal we actually got better and started to give Liverpool problems and we looked like the team that would score the next goal.....then bang that killer second goal, the movement was excellent in the build up and clinically put away.

The moment that second goal went in the game was over and you could visibly see that on the players faces. There was no belief that they could get back into the game and that played out in the second half.

I have no idea why Lemina was taken off??...He was our best player by a country mile that first half.

If we can play like we did for the first 45 minutes for the rest of the season then we have a chance of staying up.

Lemina had gone down twice after Oxo had done a number on him and needed the physio to come on. I imagine they were worried about him missing out more of the season and got him off as a precaution

Bringing Lallana and Lovren on was mocking us.

Totally. Klopp was taking the ******, as he did in his interview about not taking risks. He was quite clearly having a dig. VVD was interviewed on MOTD2 and seemed to enjoy his day out (he also made a reference to fans not understanding stuff behind the scenes - I wonder if that was a reference to broken promises, club's change of ambition etc).

Seeing Klopp put Lovren on for the last few minutes was the biggest ****** take at a Saints game since Le Tiss wore the shirt. Massive middle finger at us Saints fans.

I think it was the complete lack of fight that is concerning everybody. I've watched many a relegation battle with Saints going back to 1967 and at least then we had scrappers.

we didn't lay glove on them in the 2nd half. look in comparison to Newcastle 2 hours previous, they gave everything for 95 mins and won

I think it was the complete lack of fight that is concerning everybody. I've watched many a relegation battle with Saints going back to 1967 and at least then we had scrappers.

This. They all played like even at this stage they are worried about getting injured for their next match. No motivators. Why don't we ever just go for it, hell for leather? Why so much prevarication and tippy tap? Convinced MP thinks we will get points to stay up from possession stats.