Saints 0 Liverpool x - Post Match

St Chalet

This has been coming for months - utterly predictable and completely avoidable if the board were prepared to act.

We 'stand firm' against Liverpool's 'illegal" approach for VVD and then we allow him to play and help destroy us by his negativity before we then sell him to them anyway and get no replacements.

Then we spend an entire month chasing shadows - do nothing to get rid of a clueless inept manager and gamble on other teams being worse than us in order to keep us up!

Well that worked well didn't it - now there isn't a class manager in the world who would want to come in even if we did get rid of this clown and all those years of steady growth and building have been chucked away in the space of 4 months!

We are in all likelihood down and I'm ashamed of how we appear to the rest of the footballing world - it's a joke!!!!!!!!!!

If I was the owner I would have sacked MP myself before Christmas and certainly at half time today - he doesn't deserve the title of manager.

2nd half was shockingly awful and but for some bad finishing by Liverpool we could have lost 4 or 5-0. Pellegrino once again devoid of ideas and too hapless to change anything. Carrillo looks like a £19 million waste of space. Hardly won a header and was poor at hold up play. The position we are in, and this was our only signing?

I know some don't like Austin and VVD, but the loss of those two has really hurt.

We have 1 total goal from the forwards in the 10 total matches since Austin went down, 1. Thats rediculous.

The drop from VVD to Hoedt is huge, and Stephens is just learning to play in the PL. Our defense is definitely not PL caliber without VVD. Also why isn't Yoshi playing?

In general I think the midfield is playing ok. They are controlling possession fairly well, and are certainly scoring their fair share of goals. They are the ones giving us a little hope in these matches.

First half unlucky, second lacked any real urgency.

Didn't really expect anything from this one but we should have been able to make more of a contest of it. We weren't as bad as some on here make out mind!

Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, Wham ... these are the games we need points from.

Hard to take too many positives from today other than some tidy play in the first half. Other results have made today's result tougher to take but the table is still so close.

First have not bad, apart from the 2 defensive errors.

2nd half dreadful. Nothing going forward at all, although it did answer the question of why we don't play 2 up front, because WE DON'T SEE THE BALL AT ALL if we do.

Romeou gets caught every now and then not following the danger man, like on the 2nd goal . That is probably why he is still here.

Never mind, after this weekends results, I am hoping that life without hope will be more relaxing .

WBA performance hinted at the squad having a bit of fight, and the WBA result should have given us a bit of confidence. At home to fellow strugglers is always a pressure scenario but at home to Liverpool, especially with the needle of all our ex players, was a chance to have a go, with new found confidence and without the pressure.

The fact we were so abject and our main aim appeared to be to keep the score down shows the manager hasn’t been able to harness or build on the positives from last week, and we once again reflect the boss’ fear and caution.

You can't play an attacking four comprising Tadic, Ward-Prowse, Carillo and Hojbjerg and expect to create anything against a top side - no pace, little guile and not much fight. Midfield did reasonably well, especially Lemina before he became ill. Hoedt and Stephens found out today and we were hopelessly exposed on the counter with no sign of Tadic or Ward-Prowse helping the FBs.

Absolutely pathetic second half. It was like a preseason friendly. Slow paced, no one really doing much. It was limp and lifeless and gutless. You wouldn't think we were in a relegation battle, we didn't even make it difficult for them, absolutely pathetic.

I'm flabbergasted at that second half. It looked like both teams were settling for the result. I mean what the **** were the players doing? It was pathetic. Utterly pathetic. Did they know the score? I couldn't believe what I was watching. We could have played til tomorrow evening and still not scored.

No fight. No desire. No spark. No chances. No points.

I could take losing this game, but that 2nd half was appalling.

Players have to share the blame too, didn’t look up for it and simply went through the motions in the second half. Boufal was anonymous.

Not going to join in the Mope in or out discussion as I feel the ship has sailed for a new manager to come in and spark a revival. Players simply need to have the best month of their lives in March.

On way home from the game. After some half decent performances in recent weeks, that was back to square one. Back to players being devoid of any fight or passion. What's so difficult about giving 100% every game?
Exactly. When you lose you try to take the positive but what positives can you possibly find from a performance like that?

Absolutely pathetic second half. It was like a preseason friendly. Slow paced, no one really doing much. It was limp and lifeless and gutless. You wouldn't think we were in a relegation battle, we didn't even make it difficult for them, absolutely pathetic.

Exactly. If you haven't got the skill and ability to match the opposition the only weapon you've got is balls out blood and guts effort. There wasn't any.

First half unlucky. Second half abysmal.

When I saw that fist pump from Hojberg when he won a corner early on I though 'omg this is it'

Even after 2-0 down I though we looked decent.

Then we came out second half and didn't even try.

This run of fixtures for the next four or five games will decide our premier league status.

Don't think we're up to it unfortunately.

No tactics, no passion, no fight, no plan B and no urgency

Personally I think we’ve left it too late for a new manager, the players don’t look interested and demoralised, players like boufal are no good at this stage of the season, we need fighters not lightweight luxury players.

We seldom have a plan A.

Feel more convinced than ever that we’re going down this year. No fight whatsoever from this team, MP clearly isn’t motivating the team and the board seem uninterested by our plight. Does Gao even comprehend how much relegation will cripple his investment financially?

The past six weeks have been a complete embarrassment for us both on and off the pitch.

On way home from the game. After some half decent performances in recent weeks, that was back to square one. Back to players being devoid of any fight or passion. What's so difficult about giving 100% every game?

I think this is why the manager has to go, too many false dawns. We might get the odd win here and there but we need to put a run together.

In our position there should be no such thing as a “free hit” fixture, but like some fans the board will probably see this result as such and not look beyond the scoreline.

Liverpool can be sublime on some days, but they can also be vulnerable on others. Sad that we didn’t even put it to the test which one it was today.