Saints 0 Liverpool x - Post Match

St Chalet

Does Gao even comprehend how much relegation will cripple his investment financially?.

If we stay up he gets the premier league cash to offset his investment.

If we go down we sell our best players, which will offset his investment.

I don't foresee his investment being "crippled" either way.

I swear Boufal said ‘rescue me too’ to VVD at the final whistle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then he’s kidding himself. Nowhere near good enough for them. The hype that follows Bouf on FB beggars belief, he’s been a huge disappointment. Even more than Ramerez in my opinion.

I think this is why the manager has to go, too many false dawns. We might get the odd win here and there but we need to put a run together.

In our position there should be no such thing as a “free hit” fixture, but like some fans the board will probably see this result as such and not look beyond the scoreline.

You'd like to think they might look at the performance, and in particular the desire among the players, and how motivated they were.

But they probably won't.

Klopp summed it up perfectly in his post match to 5 Live... "Football without risk is no good and you shouldn't be playing if you don't take risks. People don't want to watch no risk football".

He was referring to Lpool btw but I thought it applied perfectly to Saints.

MP on 5 Live having a go at the team for second half no-show. Apologises to fans. Hmmm.

Edited by jasonb

Once behind it was always going to be difficult. Terrible mistake by Hoedt. Thought we responded well and offered some threat, but we didn't take the couple of half chances we had. The second goal killed us, but showed the difference in the two attacks. They create a genuine chance and it is effortlessly finished, we struggle to do anything.

How do you come back from 0-2 when you have burned a shed load of energy in the first half? Certainly MP and these players didn't know. Once Lamina went off injured it exposed just how slow, average and quite frankly lacking in stamina our midfield is. I guess everyone will blame MP for 'terrible' substitutions, but I don't see game changers on the bench other than Boufal and he was below par.

It pains me to say it, but long ball down the channels might have been an option, especially when players get tired and cant get open.

Last week gave us a much needed bit of hope that maybe there was a bit of fight there to be deflated again after this. Never expected us to win but that was a capitulation.

1 up front till the 70th minute mark. The manager has learnt absolutely nothing this season.

2004/5 was a bit like this, performances that gave encouragement rapidly followed by capitulation.

I'm crossing my fingers that we pull out of this and sack the manager in the summer. However I have serious doubts this owner will attempt to improve anything and we may be in the same situation this time next year.

What a waste of my afternoon. This team looks dead, devoid of life, spark, creativity, energy, desire. Just nothing. A bunch of players passing the ball between each other and offering nothing else.

The makeup of the side has been wrong for 2 seasons, I feel like a broken record saying it. Absolutely no pace in the midfield or attack, it's impossible to cause anyone problems without pace in this day and age. I don't know what our recruitment team are thinking.

I wanted to see fight and some life from us, but we were dead rubber today. Truly horrific. Easiest game for Liverpool, ever.

As deflated as I've been all year at this moment in time. Heads should roll at the club in all levels for the catastrophic 12 months we've bad, mismanagement at its finest.

I listened to Dave Merrrington describe our performance as ‘tactically inept’. Is DM correct? In my view, the difference between the two sides was large and we really didn’t deserve anything from the game. You can look at the half chances we had but we rarely caused Liverpool to break into a run.

Not looking good imho.

We are so devoid of any pace its astonishing. We play some nice football but too often have to turn back. Pretty much the opposite is true of Liverpool who were lightyears quicker with and without the ball than us.

We cannot pick a front three of Tadic, Carrillo and JWP at home. Redmond or Long will have to start to add some mobility.

Boufal absolutely ****e in his cameo, quite a regular occurence.

Only solace is that we now have 5 winnable games in a row, and loads of ****e teams within a point of us.

Need an absolute minmum of 8 points from those.

Those teams lower half teams that get results against Liverpool sit deep and give them no space to work in and try to hit them on the counter. I'm no fan of negative football but for this game that's how we should of played.

Instead we where to open and tried to play a high line and got dicked.

Our attack is so one paced light years away from Liverpool's pace and directness. We must be the only team that counter attacks by passing backwards.

Those teams lower half teams that get results against Liverpool sit deep and give them no space to work in and try to hit them on the counter. I'm no fan of negative football but for this game that's how we should of played.

Instead we where to open and tried to play a high line and got dicked.

Our attack is so one paced light years away from Liverpool's pace and directness. We must be the only team that counter attacks by passing backwards.

To play that way you need pace. We don't have pace. That's why we go backwards and sideways.

A front 3 of Tadic, JWP and Carillo is as slow as you'll get. Combine that with a midfield with Romeu and Hoj. Slow, pedestrian, ponderous football.

Swansea have pace with the two Ayews (Jordan in particular in the Liverpool game). It's not rocket science and the club needed to fix it in January, but they didn't as they're incompetent.

We are so painfully slow. This side would struggle in the Championship under this clueless (coach).

A comfortably win for them. He needed to leave months ago. If he was at any other club in this division, he wouldn't have seen Christmas.

Apart from the pointless obscenities I do agree with this post. The win last week against the bottom club who will join us in the Championship shouldn't have been seen as any kind of improvement. We seem to be the only Premier club this season that has failed to judge its manager by the performances of the team. Change should have taken place over two months ago and is now too late to save us from the drop, but perhaps that's why the board haven't sacked him. It may be the intention to change the manager at the end of the season as that might be a better time to make an appointment.

We do have a talented squad full of competent international players, experienced at representing their countries. I can't believe that different coaching and tactics would not have produced better results. With someone else in charge, this squad should get promotion, but the problem is whether the squad can be held together after being relegated. Very depressing times.

Yes like so many I blame the manager for seemingly being unable to choose the right players and yet I also blame some of our players for a lack of desire and frankly a lack of skill. The latter I don't blame them but our recruitment staff as if you haven't got it, you haven't got it and certainly the likes of Cedric & Romeu haven't got it. Anyone who references back to last year as regards Romeu, note this season he's poor and thats being charitable.

They are unable to pass the ball to each other when under pressure, couldn't score in a Derby Rd brothel and have more chance of the lottery at this rate than at the likes of WB.

Play the youngsters, your guaranteed as least some commitment, some pride and perhaps some results that favour us.

To play that way you need pace. We don't have pace. That's why we go backwards and sideways.

A front 3 of Tadic, JWP and Carillo is as slow as you'll get. Combine that with a midfield with Romeu and Hoj. Slow, pedestrian, ponderous football.

Swansea have pace with the two Ayews (Jordan in particular in the Liverpool game). It's not rocket science and the club needed to fix it in January, but they didn't as they're incompetent.

That's why, despite not rating him, we should played Long today as an outlet for countering.

Having said that we can't even use Long properly. He is totally wasted when we take twenty passes to get it up to the front players and then play the ball into him with his back to goal.

Liverpool's first goal had something like three touches from keeper to ball in the back of the net.

Well I'm now convinced he has to go. There is definitely a decent style of play in there somewhere for pellegrino - but every time it starts to shine through this season he completely ****s it up by reverting to the safe and defensive style.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

That's why, despite not rating him, we should played Long today as an outlet for countering.

Having said that we can't even use Long properly. He is totally wasted when we take twenty passes to get it up to the front players and then play the ball into him with his back to goal.

Liverpool's first goal had something like three touches from keeper to ball in the back of the net.

Tadic slows us down, I'd play Long in his place and play him wide off of Carillo. It's the best we're going to get, then if we can get ourselves out of the **** we can fix it in the summer.

But you are right, we need to move the ball quicker. We seem desperate to just have a high passing count, which must have been very high today. Not that it really matters when probably 60% of those passes are between DM, CB's and GK. There's a lot of dross in this league, of which we are included, so that and the fact we have a few away games against 'said' dross is a slim glimmer I will try to cling to.

Quick thought. Tempo far too slow at the start. Very poor defending both goals. We are not fit enough.

Carrillo - awful.

Bertrand - back to half-hearted.

Cedric - worst crosser of a ball.

Tadic - fairly invisible

Hoedt - curate's egg. Mainly good but bad moments.

Stephens, Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse - good

Romeu - would have preferred to see Hesketh or Boufal start.

Lemina - awesome until he got injured. Again

McCarthy - picked the ball out of the net nicely twice. Otherwise nothing to do.

Overall, no dynamic drive, heads really looked like they had dropped. No leader. Bertrand is not a captain.

And back to no game management by the manager, as usual.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The other plus for me is that we're Away a lot, there's no advantage to us playing at home. We're much better away, well slightly less **** is a better way of putting it.

Slim positives to cling to.

Agree with that though. We have absolutely no chance of winning our home-games against the big boys. MP seemingly has no idea how to set us up at home because he's such a defensive minded manager.

Away, if we are given them time to play, we *might* be able to cause teams problems. But, we are so flimsy at the back....

McCarthy: 6 - couldn't do much with the goals.

Cedric: 5 - still can't cross.

Bertrand: 4 - couldn't cross or pass.

Hoedt: 4 - Bambi on ice, with the turning circle of an oil tanker.

Stephens: 5 - okay on the ball. Wasn't bullied in the air (by 5' 8" wingers).

Romeu: 5 - can't run.

Lemina: 6 - our best player even semi-comatose.

Hojbjerg: 5 - last season in microcosm: started well and got gradually more awful.

Ward-Prowse: 5 - got one cross in. Can't head. Otherwise anonymous.

Tadic: 5 - rolled up his sleeves and gave everything for the cause. Said no-one ever.

Carrillo: 4 - £20m. What would Paul Rideout cost today? Literally today, aged 53 - couldn't offer less than our club record goal machine.

Subs:-

Boufal: 1 - a point for every time he didn't lose the ball.

Long: 1 - a point for every time he touched the ball.

Davis: 0 - pointless.

Adios, Premier League. I never loved you anyway...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Horrendous 1st goal, all over the place looking like rabbits in the headlights for 10 minutes, then came into the game and played well for the next 25 but as soon as the 2nd goal went in, everyone might as well have packed up and gone home. We basically declared!! No fight, no desire and no clue!!

Gutless...............

Tadic was utterly appalling. Its like playing with 11. Boufal was rubbish too when he came on. Hoedt shocking for first goal. Would rather see Sims in the starting line up. Hojberg as a no 10?? Really??

Slow, pedestrian, risk free ******** football. Second half was as bad as ever.

The manager is clueless!

Well I'm now convinced he has to go. There is definitely a decent style of play in there somewhere for pellegrino - but every time it starts to shine through this season he completely ****s it up by reverting to the safe and defensive style.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

It wasn't safe of defensive though we were open as hell Liverpool skipped through us. People say MoPe is defensive yet our defense has been utterly hopeless all season A good defensive coach wouldn't have us in this position.

What I saw today has convinced me that Saints made Liverpool look good and they weren't. With a couple of speed merchants up front they would have cacked their pants.We are so awful that our next few games will clearly demonstrate that we are a completely inept side under the current Manager. No pace,no fight and certainly no organisation.We have lost our way.

Only caught the last 30 minutes but it was abject. Why not put Hesketh/SIms in - could they do any worse?

Embarrassing performance from what I saw....Hoedt is terrible and Yoshi is far better than him.

Carillo looks garbage - utter waste of money.

Pellegrino needs to go but now it is too late.

Before the match I said we needed to get the crowd lifted from the very start but we begin the match half asleep and pretty much kill the atmosphere from that point onwards. That second half display was cowardly and Liverpool could have had 5-6 more. Van dijk won’t ever play in an easier match.

Stay with pellegrino and we’re get relegated. Change him it’s a still a big chance we will.

Thoughts on corillo... so so. Jury’s very much out but what ever his strengths are we don’t appear to play to them.

It's not that it was a bad performance. But a defensive mistake (basic things) screwed us over again and we just never had any belief in the final third despite some positive and incisive approach play.

Basically the degradation in quality of the team is finally starting to really do us harm.

Don't get me wrong, this team would be doing better under a competent manager, but he can't be blamed for a lack of quality.

Lack of quality + poor Manager = relegation zone in mid-Feb unfortunately.

No-one at the club appears to care though.

First half was ok apart from the horrific defending for their goals, thought we caused them a few problems and should have scored. Second half was just so incredibly bad that the only surprise was they didn't score a couple more.

Really hope Lemina isn't out for any length of time because we desperately need him playing every minute of every game to stand any chance of staying up.

I listened to Dave Merrrington describe our performance as ‘tactically inept’. Is DM correct? In my view, the difference between the two sides was large and we really didn’t deserve anything from the game. You can look at the half chances we had but we rarely caused Liverpool to break into a run.

Not looking good imho.

I'd just go for straightforward 'crap' at least in the 2nd half.

It's not that it was a bad performance. But a defensive mistake (basic things) screwed us over again and we just never had any belief in the final third despite some positive and incisive approach play.

Basically the degradation in quality of the team is finally starting to really do us harm.

Don't get me wrong, this team would be doing better under a competent manager, but he can't be blamed for a lack of quality.

Lack of quality + poor Manager = relegation zone in mid-Feb unfortunately.

No-one at the club appears to care though.

I don't believe they don't care but they don't want to admit they've got it so wrong and seem to have some misguided belief that it will all come good in the end.

Carillo looks reasonably limited but in his defence, the one time we put a decent cross in his direction he bossed Matip and would have scored if the ball went nearer the post.

Still an awful window for a side selling £75m of player though. Failure to sort out centre back is killing us as much as the ****e attacking play.

Carillo looks reasonably limited but in his defence, the one time we put a decent cross in his direction he bossed Matip and would have scored if the ball went nearer the post.

Still an awful window for a side selling £75m of player though. Failure to sort out centre back is killing us as much as the ****e attacking play.

If only we sold the £75m player at the start of the window to allow us the time to bring in players....... Oh.

Very disappointing, first half i thought we responded well to the goal, dominated the midfield as lemina was quality, a couple of wayward passes aside, but we have not threat up front whilst Liverpool cut through our defence like knives through butter twice and get 2 goals. I think the 2nd goal demoralised us completely and after dominating for large periods with nothing to show gave up in the second half, we then became awful.