Season ticket renewals

harriesss

Barely missed more than five home games a season since the mid/late 80s, season ticket since the late 90s and do about 15 aways a season and I’m seriously debating if I’m done with it.

Weirdly going down might mean I’m actually more likely to renew, as I’ve realised it’s the premier league that I hate the most.

The money in the top flight has ruined the game completely. It’s impossible to compete. Real supporters take a back seat to tourists, games are constantly moved for tv, atmospheres almost everywhere are diabolical, the media rub their hands with glee at anyone but the big six being torn apart, talk of winter breaks and players that are so disconnected from us and reality that I may as well just be watching a soap opera.

Honestly what’s the point? If we stay up those things will only get worse, the top flight has stripped the soul from the game and I’m not sure I can be bothered with it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nail on the head.

Had a ST since we moved into St Marys and used to really look forward to match day, even when we were **** and in the Championship/L1.

However a combination over the last couple of years of absolutely atrocious football and complete lack of any atmosphere have turned it into a chore now and I will have a serious think about renewing. My brother comes down from Northampton for every game so it will ultimately depend on whether he renews. To be frank I just rarely enjoy going now.

That said I still love the club and would feel dirty turning my back on it, just want to enjoy matchdays again but right now I feel a bit alienated.

Won't be renewing without an acceptable explanation from Gao as to what the hell is going on and what his plans are. I'm not funding something shady.

Really good point and not sure enough has been made by Saints fans of how this takeover looks. Rudderless tactical management from MP and a seeming lack of anything resembling a decent bunch of players has masked what looks like:

1) a very leveraged takeover completed just in time to flog an asset worth more than a stadium and

2) a wing and a prayer effort at avoiding relegation with a clearly inadequate manager who will cost too much to dismiss

Regressing quickly in performance, very debt heavy takeover and a selling off of prime assets combined with what looks like a frantic effort to get money out of the Far East.

Yes, I will renew because it got under my skin mid 90’s and never managed to shake it. But no qualms whatsoever with anyone who doesn’t fancy propping up whatever this is.

Depends entirely on who is running the club.

The division we're in won't change whether or not I renew, but if the same clowns are running this team after the shambles of a season we've had, then I don't want to put any of my money in their pockets, they don't deserve it!

Had season ticket ever since they introduced terrace season tickets under the west stand at the Dell(no idea of year) and like others have never, even under branfoot we had Tiss sometime, watched such a leaderless squad. Manager rabbitt in headlights whose half time team talk leads to a worst second hand performance.

renewal will depend on division and cost and above all leadership

sack the guy get Gordon Strachan in to end of season and get some fire in bellys

unfortunately this is absolutely right.

Been a season ticket holder since 1979. Seriously considering not bothering anymore. It was a chore going to watch games under Branfoot but compared with most of the past two years they were good days !!

i know we look back with rose tinted glasses, but branfoot was abysmal, but at least we had MLT to keep us sane, we havent got anyone close to him now, so god help us.

Had mine since 2006/07 season. Not renewing next season. It is not about money I just no longer enjoy going. Even let someone else use my season ticket today.

I didn't renew after Puel. Wasn't prepared to watch his crap another season. The football is better now... just.... but the board take the micky from the fans. No way am I paying to be mugged off by reed and co.

I'm hoping we stay up for all of the obvious reasons, but for me personally I want us to stay up so that when I don't renew my ST for the first time since 2005 (bar a gap for uni) I don't get called a fair-weather ****.

I just don't enjoy watching us win 4 games at home in 12 calendar months for £1000. It's an outrageous waste of money.

I’ll be renewing no matter what league we’re in or who is in charge of the club. People jacking their support in during the bad times should be ashamed of themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you renew if we were owned by a Gaydamak-type?

Barely missed more than five home games a season since the mid/late 80s, season ticket since the late 90s and do about 15 aways a season and I’m seriously debating if I’m done with it.

Weirdly going down might mean I’m actually more likely to renew, as I’ve realised it’s the premier league that I hate the most.

The money in the top flight has ruined the game completely. It’s impossible to compete. Real supporters take a back seat to tourists, games are constantly moved for tv, atmospheres almost everywhere are diabolical, the media rub their hands with glee at anyone but the big six being torn apart, talk of winter breaks and players that are so disconnected from us and reality that I may as well just be watching a soap opera.

Honestly what’s the point? If we stay up those things will only get worse, the top flight has stripped the soul from the game and I’m not sure I can be bothered with it anymore.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

100% how I feel.

Gave mine up after the second half of last season was like pulling teeth as far as going to St Mary’s was concerned. The ****poor atmosphere where I stood in block 41 as all the regulars disappeared and the football was turgid combined with the sheer amount of rearranged fixtures for TV left me pretty apathetic towards the whole match day experience.

As there was no benefit for us to renew early like a cheaper rate I thought I’d give it the summer to see how we conducted business, was massIvely underwhelmed by the appointment of MP and our transfer business was laughable again so I thought I’d find something else to do with my time and money. Can honestly count on 3 fingers the amount of times I’ve thought I’d wish I’d been there to see that. Every passing week leaves me thinking thank god I didn’t bother this year, and I resent all those ****s in charge of the club or making me feel this way about the team I love.

No from me, think a lot of people have already mentioned the way football has gone. I don’t mind losing to be fair most of us have spent years watching us struggle. We always used to fight and at least look like we wanted to win. Also feel something weird is going on in background. Always new our bubble would burst, sadly it’s just deflated over the course of 12 months.

I've had what most people would probably consider an unhealthy obsession with this club for the past 20 odd years buying season tickets I can't afford and feeling like I have some weird duty to remain loyal to my seat and to this team. The bottom line is I don't enjoy going anymore.

I don't enjoy watching our players strolling about with no passion collecting their £10,000s every week, I don't enjoy the other teams fans always having the last laugh and I certainly don't enjoy us selling our best players so quickly that I deliberately avoid forming any kind of fondness towards them. Now, any new signings are immediately viewed as players waiting for the next offer to move on. I hate that.

Young fans watching today won't have a star player to look up to for us any more as they move on so quickly!

Edited by Disco Stu

**** me, what is wrong with some of you. It's football for gods sake, not a shiete album from your favourite band. You can't pick and choose when you support your team. You support it through thick and thin, well guess what, here's the thin (not that it's anything like Sunderland, Forest or even skates are going through). No doubt you'll all be back when the footballs better and we're back in Europe or in play off finals, no doubt you'll be running on the pitch when we're promoted again. Telling everyone what a great Saints fan you are. Bunch of fickle twts.

**** me, what is wrong with some of you. It's football for gods sake, not a shiete album from your favourite band. You can't pick and choose when you support your team. You support it through thick and thin, well guess what, here's the thin (not that it's anything like Sunderland, Forest or even skates are going through). No doubt you'll all be back when the footballs better and we're back in Europe or in play off finals, no doubt you'll be running on the pitch when we're promoted again. Telling everyone what a great Saints fan you are. Bunch of fickle twts.

Ahhh bless ! :lol:

Like an old person who always votes labour or conservative. No reason, just because I always have...

This, This, THIS!

Like an old person who always votes labour or conservative. No reason, just because I always have...

Isn’t that the idea of supporting a team.

What happens in your world, your support is up for grabs. Maybe City will get it next season, perhaps Liverpool. I don’t know about you floating supporters, but I always thought your team, was your team.

We have some seriously weird customers

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

What happens in your world, your support is up for grabs. Maybe City will get it next season, perhaps Liverpool. I don’t know about you floating supporters, but I always thought your team, was your team.

Southampton FC isn't a son or daughter. You may support them no matter what. It's a business and should be treated like one. That's the reality. When they stop listening and stop caring, I'll stop giving them my money. I may support only one team, but I won't blindly open my wallet for them. Not any more.

Edited by Disco Stu

I've had what most people would probably consider an unhealthy obsession with this club for the past 20 odd years buying season tickets I can't afford and feeling like I have some weird duty to remain loyal to my seat and to this team. The bottom line is I don't enjoy going anymore.

I don't enjoy watching our playing strolling about with no passion collecting their £10,000s every week, I don't enjoy the other teams fans always having the last laugh and I certainly don't enjoy us selling our best players so quickly that I deliberately avoid forming any kind of fondness towards them. Now, any new signings are immediately viewed as players waiting for the next offer to move on. I hate that.

Young fans watching today won't have a star player to look up to for us any more as they move on so quickly!

Exactly right! I remember my first boyhood hero was Charlie Wayman (1947-50) our top scorer. He came to the Dell for training each day by bus and arrived at 8.50 I could just get his autograph on the way to school. We felt close to the players, they were one of us! And Georoge Reader the chairman was a Southampton man and lived in Hanley road. All that has completely gone, I am trying to think of something good which has replaced it and at the moment I can't

I’ll be renewing no matter what league we’re in or who is in charge of the club. People jacking their support in during the bad times should be ashamed of themselves.

Not renewing a season ticket doesn't mean anyone's "jacking in their support" for saints surely? Just means not shelling out money and committing to watching the current rubbish that's being served up by the clowns running the club at the moment

Southampton FC isn't a son or daughter. You may support them no matter what. It's a business and should be treated like one. That's the reality. When they stop listening and stop caring, I'll stop giving them my money. I may support only one team, but I won't blindly open my wallet for them. Not any more.

Stop listening? When was this golden age where fans were listened to? Did you open your wallet all through the Lowe, Wilde and crouch era? Did you feel valued then? I guess people just felt really valued when we were doing well a couple of seasons ago...

Let's face people don't want to go because we are ****. Fair enough and understandable in its own way...but let's not bull**** that people are taking some principled stand against evil football owners that don't care about fans especially when they had STs during the Lowe era.

Edited by doddisalegend

The thread was about renewing season tickets, not suddenly giving up on supporting Saints.

As I customer after last seasons dire home form, I decided not to renew last year. This season has changed by thought process. See, I’ve looked, watched, and decided not spend £700+ . I didn’t renew because I decided not to. As opposed to renewing anyway because I always have.

I still support saints, still go the Saint Marys and watch them, whereas with a season ticket I used lots of holiday up taking shifts off work to do so. This season, I just go when I’m off. I bought membership instead.

See - still a supporter, NOT a season ticket holder. Nor have I decided to support Liverpool, or Chelsea etc.

Stop listening? When was this golden age where fans were listened to? Did you open your wallet all through the Lowe, Wilde and crouch era? Did you feel valued then? I guess people just felt really valued when we were doing well a couple of seasons ago...

Let's face people don't want to go because we are ****. Fair enough and understandable in its own way...but let's not bull**** that people are taking some principled stand against evil football owners that don't care about fans especially when they had STs during the Lowe era.

I still felt like they cared. They had a much better fighting spirit compared to this time. That's why I decided to keep supporting them into the Championship. This time, even if we stay up it won't be enough.

We're **** because of the attitude. We all know the players should be playing better but they're not.

EDIT: Maybe this new supporters panel will improve things...

Edited by Disco Stu

I still felt like they cared. They had a much better fighting spirit compared to this time. That's why I decided to keep supporting them into the Championship. This time, even if we stay up it won't be enough.

We're **** because of the attitude. We all know the players should be playing better but they're not.

EDIT: Maybe this new supporters panel will imropove things...

The most gutless performance I’ve ever seen, including this season, was the away game at The Skates. The players look like they’d shat themselves, the whole ****ing lot of them. So it’s pony to claim there was a fighting spirit then. We went down with a whimper .

I don't think we differ in that your team is your team and always will be but why do we go to matches rather than just look for the result? My son and I have had season tickets since the 1990s - I do a 7 hour 200 mile round trip and his is even longer. 3 seasons ago we'd be going to Newcastle, Sunderland, United, City, Liverpool, most midland and all the London away games. We no longer go to away games and will probably give up our season tickets yet continue to be "supporters". The experience just isn't the same any more. As a Saints supporter it's not about the winning - football is always a triumph of hope over experience and rational expectation, the emotional link has gone now though. We've had our downs but within seasons like the Great Escape we had our highs, the atmosphere at the Cardiff Final was electric. Now there is no sense of bonding with either the players, who largely use as a stepping stone, or with other supporters when the match day atmosphere is so flat. And very importantly there is no alignment for supporters with the club and its owner.

In the current Premiership world Saints supporters don't in reality expect us to get into the Champions League or win a major trophy. That ship sailed unfortunately with the passing of Markus who might have backed Cortese and kept Pochettino and the players together. He mixed an investment with a passion for seeing where he could take Southampton. Kat and Gao are here as investors though. It's to be expected that our owners aren't fans, they want to maximise returns on their investment. For Kat it was maximising the proceeds of the disposal of a top 10 club. For Gao - I don't think he's ever told the supporters what his aims are so I have to surmise. He's paid top dollar, unlike Markus who didn't have to pay much and so could expect a great return if he took us up a few levels. Given what he has paid/borrowed Gao's maximum return is likely come from repaying the borrowings and receiving dividends covering most of the cost of his shares. If we are relegated so he can more easily sell the better players he could well cover all his cost in less than 12 months. He then has a free "option" to receive future income either from taking us back up to the Premiership or running us as a self funded profit centre, developing and selling on players with potential. There may be another "option" through development of land. The important distinction is that whilst Rupert Lowe and fans' aims were aligned - to achieve the highest position we could through a self funding model (and we can't criticise someone for choosing not to put more of their own money in), Gao's aims as an investor (which is his only relationship with the club) are different from the supporters. In the current world only London clubs (with their huge potential fan bases), Liverpool and United (with their global fan bases from past glories) and City (with Sheikh Mansour's backing partly because they had the Commonwealth Games stadium and a large fan base in a large conurbation) can really expect to win the League/qualify for Champions League. History supports this. As a rational investor Gao won't put in more money to see his return come through regular appearances in the Champions League like Kroenke does at Arsenal. He wants a self funded club which returns him his (high) cost asap - ergo sell most of the valuable players. He has to pay some attention to fans so managing to do this with minimum adverse reactions is sensible. In the Championship gate receipts are a far more important source of income once the parachute payments have run out. And so we are forced to conclude that he won't be too unhappy if leaving MP in charge results in us being relegated. Les's (bonused?) swan song can be to realise the max income from player sales. Then Gao's important decision will be to find a new chief executive who can identify the manager/transfer committee/players for a self funded Southampton FC which looks to maximise its profits, possibly through returning to the Premiership so it can be sold on again or possibly as a player development profit centre.

So what can we supporters who are expected to continue to turn up to provide Championship gate receipts do? Probably nothing but it might just worry the number crunchers if they are assuming gate receipts of £xm in the future and have to start questioning that assumption. It probably won't deter the owner though, his modelling will still show a better return from getting his cash back this summer.

Which brings me back to why I won't be renewing my season ticket. The owner and the supporters no longer have a common purpose. The players are clearly no longer bothered - did we see a fraction of the passion Newcastle's players showed on Sunday? The crowd feeds off the players efforts so the atmosphere is flat. Is this what I want to give up so much time and money for? I love football, the emotion and the skill. I can get the skill on TV, sadly I can't get the emotion from Southampton any more.

Good points. I was chatting to a WHU ST holder yesterday and they’re arranging some gathering or march to have a grumble about the club. He’s wondering whether to renew or not. Ultimately what top flight fans are feeling (or specifically the 14 also rans) is still a love for their club through thick and thin but a total dislike for the PL and where it has taken (and continues to take) English football. I will renew but in a strange way I’m slightly sad that for the first time in 20 years of going I couldn’t care less whether we go down. I do remember the drop from PL v Utd and how I felt so I guess for the kids in the stadium I hope we stay up as at their age it feels like the end of the world. But Richard Scudamore and his ‘product’ for ‘customers’ and Canadian Ice hockey knobs with crooked Chinese mates has just about brought my enthusiasm for it to rock bottom. Oh, and our players genuinely couldn’t give less of a crap. They ought to have announced our intentions for second half at half time on Sunday and saved us all an hour of our lives wasted. Had the urgency of a team 2-0 up not 0-2 down. I’m getting annoyed even typing about it.....!

I found myself in a similar boat this summer.

I loved the European games last year, but when I found myself sat at SMS, hanging out my arse, watching us play Middlesbrough on a Sunday afternoon I knew it was time to knock it on the head.

I've done a couple of away games this year and I've even found myself going up to the London games on the **** and avoiding the game completely.

And if i'm honest, I do not miss it one bit.

As a fan I absolutely hate the PL and everything it brings, but I know it is vital for the club to stay there.

Can you honestly say that you think the club give 2 ****s (other than financially) about your support?

I'd say that our struggles in the championship (before ML era) we're 100 times worse than what we are going through now.

I along with a number of others I know stuck by us (in terms of financially committing to a ST) but have since (since returning to the PL, losing all our players / managers, seeing all the tourist that have ruined the game and atmosphere, regularly unable to attend Sunday games, generally seen a lack of ambition from our board) have finally jacked it in.

I'm certainly not ashamed of not forking out c.£700 (+ travel for away games, beer etc..) a year to sit for 2 hours of something I just no longer enjoy.

Can you honestly say that you think the club give 2 ****s (other than financially) about your support?

I'd say that our struggles in the championship (before ML era) we're 100 times worse than what we are going through now.

I along with a number of others I know stuck by us (in terms of financially committing to a ST) but have since (since returning to the PL, losing all our players / managers, seeing all the tourist that have ruined the game and atmosphere, regularly unable to attend Sunday games, generally seen a lack of ambition from our board) have finally jacked it in.

I'm certainly not ashamed of not forking out c.£700 (+ travel for away games, beer etc..) a year to sit for 2 hours of something I just no longer enjoy.

Ffs why all the mention of ‘ tourists’? Do you mean the casual fan? So many precious little fans who somehow think the terraces of yesteryear were full of Stone Island cnts.

Ffs why all the mention of ‘ tourists’? Do you mean the casual fan? So many precious little fans who somehow think the terraces of yesteryear were full of Stone Island cnts.

So you don’t think that day trippers, the Chinese, IPads and increasing Corporate environment haven’t destroyed the home atmosphere in pretty much every established PL club?

Soccer AM and absolute pony ‘terrace banta’ has a big part to play as well.

So you don’t think that day trippers, the Chinese, IPads and increasing Corporate environment haven’t destroyed the home atmosphere in pretty much every established PL club?

For me always been sh1t but everyone is entitled to go and don’t need to be sneering about Chinese with iPads who might still be enjoying themselves. Still think atmosphere is linked largely to dross served up.

When were the good old days exactly? Pre-June 1992?

I wonder if the club should look at a radical approach to season tickets eg offer up really reduced prices to Under 25's ie those who are less well off and more passionate

It has worked at Huddersfield and Bradford and also down the road.

I am a long standing season ticket holder and will renew next year whatever league we are in.

However I am fortunate in so far as I can afford a season ticket but, at the same time, I am cursed by the fact that watching Saints is ingrained in me and, if I am honest, I havent really enjoyed watching home games for the last two seasons.

That said, supporting a team like Saints, has always had its ups and down and the down periods make you realise how enjoyable the good times are when they (occasionally) occur.

I wonder if the club should look at a radical approach to season tickets eg offer up really reduced prices to Under 25's ie those who are less well off and more passionate

It has worked at Huddersfield and Bradford and also down the road.

I am a long standing season ticket holder and will renew next year whatever league we are in.

However I am fortunate in so far as I can afford a season ticket but, at the same time, I am cursed by the fact that watching Saints is ingrained in me and, if I am honest, I havent really enjoyed watching home games for the last two seasons.

That said, supporting a team like Saints, has always had its ups and down and the down periods make you realise how enjoyable the good times are when they (occasionally) occur.

Agreed. Renew. It’s a way of life. I’m f’king stuck with them anyway.

Doesn't matter what league, Saints are my team, and I'll want to see them play wherever they play.

The season ticket simply provides a cheaper ticket because i'm going anyway and gives me first dibs on away/cup tickets.

Plus it guarantees a decent seat hard fought for over 52 years.

It has nothing to do with my credentials as a fan.

The luke warm, one or two matches a year fan, is for those 90 minutes my comrade in arms.

As long as he, she, or undecided, isn't wearing a half & half scarf or leaves early then we share the same pain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk