Last Chance Saloon

St Chalet

MoPe, what should the board do?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. MoPe, what should the board do?

He’s been improving. Team selection is there, we will pick up points in the next five games. We should stick with him and get behind the team. There is no white knight who can change the players we have. We missed our chance to get someone in when the window opened, now we are stuck with what we have.

He’s been improving. Team selection is there, we will pick up points in the next five games. We should stick with him and get behind the team. There is no white knight who can change the players we have. We missed our chance to get someone in when the window opened, now we are stuck with what we have.

He’s won 7 out of 30 games for god sake!

All season we’ve looked bad, can’t really see a pattern of plan.

Strange substitutions and tactics,

And worst of all he can’t even motive the players to even try for him.

Do you honestly believe a team that has won 5 out of 27 league matches will suddenly win 3 of the next 5 ?

I hope we do obviously but it’s a big big ask especially given the clueless **** in charge

I voted yes as I think that Pelligrino is out of his depth. He continues to use tactics that we know from experience do not work, like scoring a goal and then defending. He has not learn't from all the mistakes he has made with substitutions they have been just bizarre. He continues to play only one up front when we are at home and should be attack minded. To give him some credit he has improved slightly in some areas and has learnt that it is not obligatory to drop the goalscorer or MOTM for the next game (although he has taken too long to realise this). Overall I think he has coached the football out of a reasonable squad and should be replaced by someone with something to prove who will organise the team, motivate them and maybe keep us up. my first thought would be a short term appointment of Mark Hughes who would surely come for a Million Pound ? bonus to keep us up

I voted for him to stay. I think he is out of his depth but I hope that we stay up and get rid of him in the summer, when there will be a better selection of managers to choose from. Unless we bring in an out of work manager, the disruption of chasing an in work manager in the protracted way we do deals will be worse than sticking with MP and we have no natural caretaker manager. So the club would have to go for an out of work manager and that pool is small.

There was talk from Gao that there are changes coming in the summer, I've taken that to mean changes to the behind the scenes structure and even to Reed. Thats the time to bring in a new manager.

I also think that SFC believe that by changing the manager too often it sets up a culture where players can stop playing for a manager at any time and a cycle of this happens, like Chelsea; now I don't know whether I subscribe to this theory but they have obviously got a reason to believe this and they have access to greater brains than mine.

It's a fine line but I think the chance has gone and in balance the risk imo is slightly higher in getting rid of him. So we plough on and hope we get to the summer still in the prem.

I voted 'Sack Him'. He hasn't improved - we have got worse as the season has progressed. OK, we have recently achieved our first win in ages - but that was just about scraped against the team that is bottom and which has been cut adrift from the rest. At the very least a new manager could achieve the honeymoon effect, which in itself could be enough to help us stay up. I cannot see us getting enough points with MoPe still in charge.

I too cannot see any good reasons for keeping the manager. Fan The Flames argues we will be able to attract a better calibre of manager in the summer, but that is rubbish. If we are relegated there will be certain managers that would not give any consideration to joining us, but who might be prepared to join a Premier League side. So that argument only works if we will be able to keep our place in the Premier League. At present, with our forthcoming fixtures and based on MoPe's record so far, I don't think that is likely unless we make the change.

As for establishing a culture of regularly changing manager, that is sadly already in place due to what has happened in recent seasons. We certainly need to break out of this, but it would be bonkers to prioritise that over avoiding relegation.

Other than those weak arguments I am struggling to see any reason not to sack him. I guess it could be pointed out that sometimes a change of manager doesn't help (other than a possible honeymoon effect), but sadly our form is so poor that it cannot be much worse and I believe these players are good enough that with the right management they can be coached to achieve much more. Besides as I have said already, even thathoneymoon effect could make all the difference.

All I can wonder is whether there are some short term financial benefits to Gao and/or the directors if we get relegated - maybe it would allow him/them to liquidate some assets; maybe it would release some transfer payments (e.g. from Liverpool as part of the VVD deal); maybe the difference in rules between the EPL and EFL has some significance; or maybe there is a massive financial payout (e.g. £20-30 million or more) duie if we sack MoPe before the end of his first season (but it would have to be a significant amount bearing in mind the real cost of getting relegated in terms of lost TV payments).

The only other possible excuse for not sacking him is if they have researched every one of the possible replacements and discovered that none of them would be able/happy to join the club before the end of the season. I can't believe, though, that no-one would consider taking it on! In particular, surely it would be an ideal job for Silva?

Is it? I'd rather have our squad than most of the bottom half teams, it is the manager that is costing us.

Our #1 GK is Palace's backup.

Our CB pairing is defensively one of the weakest in the league.

Our RB can't cross to save his life.

Our DM is a step below Wanyama and didn't get a chance until we sold him.

Our AM's are an ageing Davis and JWP who, while currently in a purple patch, hasn't delivered much in an attacking sense over his career.

Our wingers don't score goals.

And finally the best that can be said about our starting strikers (minus Austin) is they "work hard".

Other then 2 or 3 good players I don't see the quality that makes us clearly above the rest of the midtable sides.

back him. its pretty simple, really. you back the club. you back the players. you back the coach. that's just "what you do." sad to see a great club appear to have such blinkered, toxic, basically sh*t supporters, but I console myself with knowing that you lot don't really represent the average fan.

back him. its pretty simple, really. you back the club. you back the players. you back the coach. that's just "what you do." sad to see a great club appear to have such blinkered, toxic, basically sh*t supporters, but I console myself with knowing that you lot don't really represent the average fan.
Oh dear think we've found a club pr plant.

Out of interest, is there any circumstance where you wouldn't back the club and the decisions they make?

The fact that you have used the word "coach" marks you out as clearly not representative of the "average fan".

Run along and tell Uncle Les that you done a post on the forum like he told you to.

You dont go to games do you?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed. The same 10 words id use to describe the club this past 2 years......

We need to sack Reed too. It is Reed who has overseen the selling of three centre halves without replacing them. It's Reed who gambled on Austin being fit al season for our goals. It's reed who appointed MP. Reed needs to go.
Also it is Reed who promised pelligrino would deliver Exciting attacking style football........ Seriously he did it beggars belief

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

While I voted to sack, my concern would be getting a decent replacement. I would back him in public, sound out alternatives, then sack if there was something promising. No good just sacking for sackings sake with no plan of what to do

All we need is a short term solution, someone on a huge bonus to keep us up, then look for a long term decent manager in the summer, even if we have to pry a manager away from another club.

He said they weren't all replaced. But they clearly were.

Lovren was replaced by Alderweireld on loan, Alderweireld was replaced by van Dijk and van Dijk was replaced by Hoedt. The only one who arguably hasn't been replaced is Fonte. I'd say Stephens isn't at the level Fonte was at his peak, but he is currently better than Fonte as things stand today.

I hope you get paid for your part/full time job of contradicting everything and everyone that doesn't concur with your agenda.

All we need is a short term solution, someone on a huge bonus to keep us up, then look for a long term decent manager in the summer, even if we have to pry a manager away from another club.

Exactly. I don't get all the concern with finding a replacement. Short term and big bonus will attract a few to the job then we can re-evaluate come the summer.

Thought about backing him - as with the run of games we have he has a chance of turning things around. Then I remembered my experience at the Leicester game, the stubborn refusal to play anyone in support of the lone striker all season, and the results and style of play to date and he has to go. Les should go too for promising us bright, open, attacking football under Mope. He clearly had no basis for that assertion because it has turned out to be a total crock of lies.

He said they weren't all replaced. But they clearly were.

Lovren was replaced by Alderweireld on loan, Alderweireld was replaced by van Dijk and van Dijk was replaced by Hoedt. The only one who arguably hasn't been replaced is Fonte. I'd say Stephens isn't at the level Fonte was at his peak, but he is currently better than Fonte as things stand today.

If you follow a timeline then Hoedt was the next in after Fonte and six months before van Dijk left so he's Fontes' replacement. van Dijk has not been replaced. Stephen's better than Fonte? I think the jury is out on that one.

I voted for him to stay. I think he is out of his depth but I hope that we stay up and get rid of him in the summer, when there will be a better selection of managers to choose from. Unless we bring in an out of work manager, the disruption of chasing an in work manager in the protracted way we do deals will be worse than sticking with MP and we have no natural caretaker manager. So the club would have to go for an out of work manager and that pool is small.

There was talk from Gao that there are changes coming in the summer, I've taken that to mean changes to the behind the scenes structure and even to Reed. Thats the time to bring in a new manager.

I also think that SFC believe that by changing the manager too often it sets up a culture where players can stop playing for a manager at any time and a cycle of this happens, like Chelsea; now I don't know whether I subscribe to this theory but they have obviously got a reason to believe this and they have access to greater brains than mine.

It's a fine line but I think the chance has gone and in balance the risk imo is slightly higher in getting rid of him. So we plough on and hope we get to the summer still in the prem.

Thanks for giving a view, especially when you know it is going to be unpopular. I can see the sense in what you are saying if we were comfortably mid-table, but we aren't. We are in serious danger of being relegated - with the exception of West Brom all the other teams down there are picking up good points. With the talented squad we have, relegation would be crazy but this does have the hallmarks of being a crazy season.

In my opinion we need to stay up at all costs and reassess in the summer. There are managers out there who I believe would give us a boost we need to get over the line. We won't be a very attractive proposition for managers of players if we slip to the Championship.

Having said that ^ I don't think for one minute MP will go before June. The club would surely have done it in January if they were so inclined.

Spoke to someone in the emergency services last night who knows an ex full time hairdresser that used to play for the club. (Anyone have a clue?)

Apparently Pellegrino is the dogs******s and everyone at the club enjoy his training, his ideas and that the players are 100% behind him.

There is no way that he is leaving as the board believe he is the right guy and that he can turn it around.

He is a massive improvement on Puel who created a bad atmosphere on and off the pitch.

Im staggered as he is ****ing clueless.

Spoke to someone in the emergency services last night who knows an ex full time hairdresser that used to play for the club. (Anyone have a clue?)

Apparently Pellegrino is the dogs******s and everyone at the club enjoy his training, his ideas and that the players are 100% behind him.

There is no way that he is leaving as the board believe he is the right guy and that he can turn it around.

He is a massive improvement on Puel who created a bad atmosphere on and off the pitch.

Either the club's judgement is horrifically flawed or they are listening too much to the players. Probably both.

I imagine that must be the case, nothing else explains him still being here. His work behind the scenes must be amazing! Maybe he's been a bit unlucky - when you look at the Expected Goals league, we're like 10th. I'd still bin him off though. An unlucky manager is no more use to us than a shite one.

Enjoy? I would enjoy a manager who didn't work me too hard! This is a results-based business.

Fit's almost identically to what i've heard many times, the players and the club like him, and unless absolutely forced to do it they're not going to get rid of him. Personally i'm resigned to relegation now, because the only way i see us getting rid is by losing the games in March, by which time it's too late.

Fit's almost identically to what i've heard many times, the players and the club like him, and unless absolutely forced to do it they're not going to get rid of him. Personally i'm resigned to relegation now, because the only way i see us getting rid is by losing the games in March, by which time it's too late.

The players all loved Wigley too. Didn't make him a good manager.

Edited by SuperSAINT
Past tense added

If that's the case I hope they all have a fekin wonderful time together, unfortunately they will be having their love in infront of half empty stadiums.

when we go down, he will go anyway.

Just all a bit weird.

How any self respecting player can enjoy this guy is hard to believe, I don't think Lemina is in that camp but then he looks more like a winner.

At best the players probably think he's a nice guy but not up to the job. No player should ever be happy about relegation ever.

last two times this poll has been run after a defeat. I'd be interested to see the results after we win a game.

(so I guess I'm saying we should repeat this poll in a month or two)

We maybe lucky to get a win in the next 2 months but I wouldn't bank on it !

Hey, ashnuts to Upyours - if you REALLY dont get it, here's 2 top-drawer reasons why you are WRONG :

1. The line up for the home game against BHA

2. Bringing Davis on for Romeu with 10 minutes of the Liverpool game left.

Leaving an International striker on the bench despite watching your new 20m one have no support and anyone within 20 yards of him on the rare occasion he won it!

But you bought one on and stuck him out wide taking off the only person we have of delivering anything...he is a genius we are all wrong.

If you are not a club plant, then the following is relevant to you:

A) They don't think of you as a fan or supporter, they think of you as a customer.

B) The operation of a football club is not simple. The support of a football club is not simple. It's a nuanced, complex operation, which needs to have clear lines of responsibility and failure standards. Failure to meet those standards will result in a drop in performance and a culture where nobody is to blame because everybody is to blame. Failure to recognise these realities results in relegation.

C) Being afraid to criticise a badly run/performing club doesn't make you loyal, it makes you a lackey or a sycophant.

D) People have backed the coach, they backed him when we went out of the cup to wolves reserves, when we fell into the relegation zone, and when players were put off transferring here in the January window by his management of the club. We have slid down the table, instead of climbing up. Now they have had enough.

E) You speak of a Toxic atmosphere and blinkered views, while being blind to the fact that backing the manager on instinct while ignoring the horrorshow that is our tactics, approach and results on the pitch will create the most toxic atmosphere, a bizarre doublethink born from a half hearted obligation to "get behind the team FFS" while ignoring the dross being served up. It is the unthinking attitude which may sum you up best, tbf.

"get behind the team FFS" mindless dogma. Exactly the attitude that leads to relegation, because the club knows it can get away with it.

Cretin.