Mistakes that have cost us

ally_uk

With the demise of Southampton FC and the threat of relegation how could we of done things differently and what are the mistakes?

I will start with my thoughts on what I think is wrong with Southampton FC and the stupid decisions the board have made.

1) Hiring Pellegrino a manager who is tactically inept, lacking in authority and essentially is a rabbit caught in the headlights.

2) New owner keeping our fans in the dark about matters i.e what are intentions where is he going to take our club?

3) Continued sales of star players and being replaced with players of lesser quality to save money. Giving fans false hopes (Promes) and essentially mugging them off.

4) No replacing Van D, Mane, Pelle properly look at our back line Stephens and Hoedt come on now.........

5) Stupid tactical decisions, squad decisions and line ups. The inability to tactically switch things up when we are losing players appearing to be demotivated......

6) No proper youth options coming through the squad where is Sims? Hesketh?

Recruitment has been dreadful for the last two seasons. We got away with it last season but this year, coupled with a dreadful manager, and now look where we are.

Whatever happens in terms of relegation or staying up, the recruitment needs to be looked at. Reed and Wilson have major questions to answer.

With the demise of Southampton FC and the threat of relegation how could we of done things differently and what are the mistakes?

I will start with my thoughts on what I think is wrong with Southampton FC and the stupid decisions the board have made.

1) Hiring Pellegrino a manager who is tactically inept, lacking in authority and essentially is a rabbit caught in the headlights.

2) New owner keeping our fans in the dark about matters i.e what are intentions where is he going to take our club?

3) Continued sales of star players and being replaced with players of lesser quality to save money. Giving fans false hopes (Promes) and essentially mugging them off.

4) No replacing Van D, Mane, Pelle properly look at our back line Stephens and Hoedt come on now.........

5) Stupid tactical decisions, squad decisions and line ups. The inability to tactically switch things up when we are losing players appearing to be demotivated......

6) No proper youth options coming through the squad where is Sims? Hesketh?

7)persisting so long with Forster as he cost us a lot of points in the first part of the season, leading to a situation where players are now playing with fear because of the situation we are in.

2 is not a mistake that has cost us anything. And as for the first part of 3, do you really need the way football works explained?

Yeah agreed.

Even if Gao never bought us and Kat still owned we would be in the predicament we are I feel tbh.

A mixture of poor management- which comes down to recruitment for both manager and players alike. Also you can just tell our players are so low on confidence and morale that our players are not functioning the way we have seen previously.

Recruitment has been dreadful for the last two seasons. We got away with it last season but this year, coupled with a dreadful manager, and now look where we are.

Whatever happens in terms of relegation or staying up, the recruitment needs to be looked at. Reed and Wilson have major questions to answer.

If we'd have been recruiting from John Lewis, who would you return for Full Refund?

A lot better than the numpty we have now. His team are happily sitting in 8th with no fear of relegation despite being below us in the league when he took over.

You obviously didn't go to many games at St Mary's last season then and witness just how bad it was? Really makes me laugh how all of a sudden Puel is a good manager when 90% of people on here wanted him out!!

You obviously didn't go to many games at St Mary's last season then and witness just how bad it was? Really makes me laugh how all of a sudden Puel is a good manager when 90% of people on here wanted him out!!

I have a ST so yes I went to every home game last season bar a couple of cup games the end of last season was poor but then so our a lot of players in particular our attacking players..

(1) Falling out with Koeman when he decided to go against the Reed manifesto way of playing.

(2) Appointing Puel

(3) Sacking Puel to appoint Pellegrino

(4) Persisting with poor quality coaches at the top end of the Academy (Hunter)

(5) Appointing a hockey coach as Chief Exec

(6) Selling club to a chancer

The players ARE good enough!! The problem this season is simply the manager, utterly clueless!

Your deluded if you think that Romeu\Wanyama Boufal\Mane Hoedt\Van Dyke and Austin-Garido\Pelle are good enough replacements and that's without even mentioning Fonte and Schneiderlin.

Let's not turn this into another Puel thread. That topic has been done to death now, we all know where everyone stands on the matter, so there really is no need to speak anymore about it.

I personally think the issues at the club are bigger than whomever the coach happens to be. We shouldn't be where we are, but we won't get where we aim to be (competing for European places) if things stay the same behind the scenes.

1. Poch left and appears to have told the players to get out and get a massive deal elsewhere as the club will be tightening their belt to maintain financial stability.

2. We watched Koeman saluting the crowd at the last game of the season and it looked like he was staying , I suspect potential player sales and limited spend convinced him to get out , he has done OK though £M from Everton plus now national coach of his country.

3. Pellingrino (like Bilic apparently) is too soft on players plus he doesn't see to know them enough to get the best out of them .

Let's not turn this into another Puel thread. That topic has been done to death now, we all know where everyone stands on the matter, so there really is no need to speak anymore about it.

I personally think the issues at the club are bigger than whomever the coach happens to be. We shouldn't be where we are, but we won't get where we aim to be (competing for European places) if things stay the same behind the scenes.

The thread is about "Mistakes that cost us" so by definition it's going to be about past events and anything we talk about is going to be a subject that has been done to death...

Having said that the biggest issue is recruitment we did well after the first mass exit and through the Koeman seasons but letting Pelle, Mane and Victor go all at once and then replacing them badly has cost us. The policy the club choose to pursue was basically reliant on getting the recruitment of replacements spot on as soon as that failed a down turn was inevitable. We now have a squad full of average players on good contracts.

Not firing Pellegrino after the Leicester game was a huge mistake that has cost us. I think at the time most of us probably knew the club would not turf him after getting stuffed at home. But they should have.

With a different manager at the helm from post-Leicester debacle on and through the January transfer window, I’m convinced we would be in a better position, which would not be hard because presently we’re in a very ****ty position.

Not showing ambition when the club was the most attractive it had ever been at the end of the 2015/16 season. We had finished 6th and were in Europe but that summer saw us take a signiciant downgrade in Manager, replace Mane with ****e and fail to replace Pelle.

Nail on head

1) Les Reed

Paraphrased what you put :lol:

Getting rid of Puel,but the most damaging has been the failure for 2-3 years to get someone who can actually put a chance away

Spot on on both counts. Yet we've paid a small fortune for offensive players these last 2 seasons. Thing is top clubs want everybody who's even half of half decent. So the rest get the dregs for inflated prices. Gabbiadini was never worth the price we paid for him and Carrillo won't be either. Boufal, well he's Boufal, hit and miss and completed unpredictable to which it will be at any given moment. I'll not mention Redmond here eh......

Your deluded if you think that Romeu\Wanyama Boufal\Mane Hoedt\Van Dyke and Austin-Garido\Pelle are good enough replacements and that's without even mentioning Fonte and Schneiderlin.

Am I deluded in thinking we have good enough players to at the very least keep us up? Which we won't be doing under this clown.

Not showing ambition when the club was the most attractive it had ever been at the end of the 2015/16 season. We had finished 6th and were in Europe but that summer saw us take a signiciant downgrade in Manager, replace Mane with ****e and fail to replace Pelle.

This was almost exactly 2 years ago:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/02/04/how-southamptons-innovative-plan-to-break-into-us-market-will-work/

It's fairly obvious there's been a drastic change of direction since, particularly with Krueger's recent "small club" interview designed to rein in the fans expectations. They built those expectations with their big talk but couldn't walk the big walk.

A breath taking arrogance and complacency took over the club in that summer. I also reckon that Katharina decided that this was the time she would start to look for someone to take over the club and cash in her chips. This lack of commitment and consequent 'tepid' investment helped to put a brake on momentum.

Had we found a new owner who was willing to invest..

Replaced Pelle and Mane

Sought a top manager

Not taken success for granted

LISTENED TO DALEK

We would have been ok.

Number 5 is already covered by number 1.

Number 2 really doesn't matter.

Number 3 is our business model. It's not a bad strategy but we haven't executed it right. Scouting quality has worsened and we have taken too much of a 1-for-1 approach. "Sell for big sum -> use money to buy 2 or 3 good players" is ok, "Sell for big sum -> use money to buy 1 replacement and pocket profit" is not.

1. Appointing Ralph and Reed (R&R) as Chair and Vice-Chair - Ralph doesn't have a clue and Reed's ego is too big. We didn't adequately replace NC.

2. Appointing Puel - Believe me or not (also cup final or not) he left a very poor atmosphere in the dressing room - He simply had to go (you can't replace pretty much the whole dressing room). I honestly believe the hangover has carried on into this season.

3. Not getting rid of Pellegrino about 4 months ago, then not backing him in January.

4. Our transfer strategy as a whole.

All comes back to point number 1... I think people are actually starting to realise this now.

1. Sacking Cortese

2. Not bothering to replace him with a new CEO

3. Giving Reed too much power

This led to all the 'smaller' problems like Koeman being pushed out by Reed as he felt RK was marginalising him, not replacing Pelle and Mane, appalling transfer dealings (Pelle sold and not replaced, Fonte sold and not replaced, VVD sold and not replaced, etc, - players we did sign are not delivering for the amount we spent on them (Hoedt, Boufal, Hoiburg, Gabbiadini and looking like Carrillo too) - and two very bad managerial appointments.

Obviously the stated policy (RK) of the club to sell our best players in order to buy in and develop cheap young promising players to those higher standards is still in place despite Ralph implying a year or so ago that we didn't need to do that anymore. The only difference now seems to be that we are doing it not to gradually improve the team but to pay off the owners

Obviously sacking Puel and gambling on Pellegrino was a massive error but so was failing to invest in attackers during the summer.

We had huge problems scoring under Puel and all we did in the summer was sell Jay Rod so we actually went backwards. I don’t even think Puel would have done very well this season either, though no where near as bad as we are.

The big picture is the fact that the owners don’t want to spend money like they did and Reed and co have been found out.

Not hiring a top class, big name manager to replace Koeman in the summer of 2016. We were such an attractive prospect - just finished 6th in the league, a Europa campaign to come and a really good squad of players.

Definitely a turning point.

Losing Cortese and thus losing Pochettino

Not backing Koeman

I find it hard to believe Cortese leaving made any difference to Pochettino going. As soon as he knew Spurs wanted him he was likely to want to leave, it is hard to see why he'd view Saints with Cortese as preferable to Spurs.

Backing Koeman with what? Saints reportedly him £86k per week wages, which is a very large figure in world football for a manager. Everton just offered more and huge amounts in the transfer market that Saints don't have available, the line had to be drawn somewhere.

For me it all started when rumours came out that the board/saints where taking the club in a different direction, if I rememer correctly Guan eluded to this at the time, subsequently we then hired Puel.

My interpretation (I could be totally wrong I know) is that after Koeman they decided to hire a lower profile manager with less demands, a manager who was more compliant with the southampton way rather than building up his own profile via success.

1. Sacking Cortese

2. Not bothering to replace him with a new CEO

3. Giving Reed too much power

This led to all the 'smaller' problems like Koeman being pushed out by Reed as he felt RK was marginalising him, not replacing Pelle and Mane, appalling transfer dealings (Pelle sold and not replaced, Fonte sold and not replaced, VVD sold and not replaced, etc, - players we did sign are not delivering for the amount we spent on them (Hoedt, Boufal, Hoiburg, Gabbiadini and looking like Carrillo too) - and two very bad managerial appointments.

4 lack of accountability - who is reed answerable to? Who are the decisions committee answerable to? Kruger was asked thus in his last interview with Blackmore and he wouldn’t or couldn’t answer the question. There are a few people earning a good wedge out of the club able to make decisions and not be held accountable when they go wrong, like pretty much every one has for the last two years.

Falling out with Lawrie Mac

Sacking Chris Nicholl too early

Sacking Branfoot too late

Failing to replace Shearer

Failing to value Matt Le Tissier

Staying at The Dell too long

The reverse take over

The PLC years of neglect

The focus on radio stations and catering

The return of Lowe

The yacht slipping anchor

The death of Liebherr

The inertia whilst the club was up for sale

The lack of investment in the academy cosches

The change in football style with out the right change in players

Basically it all stems from not bring invited into Division Two when it was formed if we had been we would have got up to the top flight earlier and we would now be a footballing powerhouse. The best club in the South ignored by the northern ****s and left playing catch up ever since.