Pellegrino: Under Pressure Footballers are taking Sleeping Pills

yellow&blue

For gods sake. The blokes a pretty poor manager but do people need to jump down his throat every single time he makes a comment. The guys played for Barca, played in champions a league final, I think he knows a bit more about the pressures of being a footballer than any of the experts on here. The mental pressure of top flight sport is based around the pressure sportsmen put themselves under. Of course our players aren’t suffering what we associate with pressure, forget paying their mortgage I doubt they’ve even got one, they can buy whatever they want, when they want. They have the best of everything & a lifestyle we can only dream of, but the pressure they’ll put themselves under will be every bit as intense . I’ve no doubt some of them have problems sleeping, and are prescribed tablets, what on earth is wrong with the manager discussing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve no doubt some of them have problems sleeping, and are prescribed tablets, what on earth is wrong with the manager discussing it.

Any personal issues - insomnia, gambling, alcohol or drug abuse are personal and should not be disclosed to the public. I don't want to hear him discussing it. You're the manager, help them with their problems.

For gods sake. The blokes a pretty poor manager but do people need to jump down his throat every single time he makes a comment. The guys played for Barca, played in champions a league final, I think he knows a bit more about the pressures of being a footballer than any of the experts on here. The mental pressure of top flight sport is based around the pressure sportsmen put themselves under. Of course our players aren’t suffering what we associate with pressure, forget paying their mortgage I doubt they’ve even got one, they can buy whatever they want, when they want. They have the best of everything & a lifestyle we can only dream of, but the pressure they’ll put themselves under will be every bit as intense . I’ve no doubt some of them have problems sleeping, and are prescribed tablets, what on earth is wrong with the manager discussing it.

I agree 100%, the keyboard warriors are becoming increasingly nasty.

Any personal issues - insomnia, gambling, alcohol or drug abuse are personal and should not be disclosed to the public. I don't want to hear him discussing it. You're the manager, help them with their problems.

Maybe he thinks talking about it in the open is helpful

In fairness he has a point.

We all live to our means and if you earn £50k per week, you will live in a multi-million pound house and probably have a mortgage like the rest of us.

The stress of seeing your income cut significantly due to relegation is enough to keep anyone awake at night.......

(My heart bleeds for all of the poor little lambs. Doing what they love and getting paid a mint for it. What a terrible life. I suggest they jack it in and go and work in Sainsbury's, it will be less stressful for them).

#Snowflakes, could've been penned for Premier League footballers.

you are making an almighty assumption that these players give a **** about Southampton. This isn’t 1958 when players actually stayed with a club and played for them through good and bad. If we get relegated most of these buggers will shrug their shoulders, get their agents to find them a club with a nice little signing on fee to go with it and they will be gone. Only those not good enough will be left. Don’t paint them as people who care about Southampton and the supporters. If they did then they would have won more than five league games this season despite Coco the clown managing them.

No one forces him to make such ill advised comments at a time when we are absolutely dreadful. It’s hard for fans to sympathise with millionaires who are stressing out about relegation (and I’m not sure I buy that any of our current lot actually care about Saints as they know they’ll get a move if we go down) when the average fan is shelling out a significant proportion of their income to watch a load of lazy, uninspiring performances. If the fans genuinely bought into the fact the players cared then they’d be sympathetic but that second half performance against Liverpool was an embarrassment. The players were hardly putting their bodies on the line for the cause were they?

I for one don’t have much sympathy for the “stress” our current squad is under and, as for Pellegrino, it would be better for him to say nothing at all than to say something that will inflame the fan base at a sensitive time. He does, after all, have control over his own mouth.

Edited by James

Hear hear. The idea that we can stop treating players as human because they make loads of money hurts everyone in the end.

I now have a vision of MoPe turning up to training with a pack of playing cards, a couple of bottles of Vodka and a bag of smack.....

Psychological pressure, perhaps, because of the constant public scrutiny; but, come on! Try working 40+ hours a week on minimum wage to feed you and your kids and to keep a roof over your head. Then talk about pressure.
That's a bit unfair. I can imagine football has a unique type of pressure and at least having sleepless nights shows they care. Would be nice if some of that translated onto the pitch mind you.

That's a bit unfair. I can imagine football has a unique type of pressure and at least having sleepless nights shows they care. Would be nice if some of that translated onto the pitch mind you.

I think it translates very strongly on the pitch, but not in a good way. They're nervous and sometimes afraid.

I sense they care. We've really lacked belief and energy at times, especially the games you mention, but teams that don't care are much worse than us.

I presume you are referring to the two are worse than us according to the league table? Some consolation...

They care. they run around a lot but like rabbits in the headlights. When they have the ball they have no idea who to pass it to and so they usually pass it back where it came from. That's bad training, it doesn't mean they are not trying. Not one of them want to be relegated any more than we do.

I presume you are referring to the two are worse than us according to the league table? Some consolation...

I'm talking about teams in past seasons, Sunderland sides who didn't track back etc. There's no one as bad as that in the league right now, dull as the football may be.

This is the correct response to yet more nonsense from Pellegrino who has a habit of putting up smoke screens and talking jibberish .....

What the hell is he doing going public over such a matter! If it’s a problem sort it out - it’s your job, if it’s not then don’t blab about it and get on with your job ...... God knows you bloody need to knuckle down mate and concentrate on your priorities - you have quite a few in case you may have got distracted!

Idiot ...

That could very well apply to internationally famous big clubs but surely not so very much at a small club like we were told Southampton are.

Don't forget the manager spent time at Liverpool so perhaps the "victim card" has rubbed off and attached itself to him and that's why he

doesn't seem to want to win matches but only tries for not losing? Relegation and then getting the sack would make a big "victim" of him.

That could very well apply to internationally famous big clubs but surely not so very much at a small club like we were told Southampton are.

Don't forget the manager spent time at Liverpool so perhaps the "victim card" has rubbed off and attached itself to him and that's why he

doesn't seem to want to win matches but only tries for not losing? Relegation and then getting the sack would make a big "victim" of him.

I can't imagine that 30,000 people screaming at you every week is anything less that stressful. We can moan about a lot of things with regards our players but suggesting they are human and prone to feeling pressure like anyone else should not be one of of the things to moan about.

God what a croc of pony. How many more cliches can you get in a post.

Ok, I get it you like jerking people off - well done for making slight of our current plight!

Otherwise you are a grade one .... - no won't say it, wouldn't want to put pressure on you so you have to resort to taking sleeping pills.

Poor poor PL players, so much expectation they cannot sleep in their multi-million mansions without pills or maybe drinking until 6 am and stealing taxi's - if only I was gifted enough to have such problems, but then as I am sure as you will respond, I am just a Joe Soap cu*t who could never know what pressure is!

Of course you are right about the pressure for players..but at is true at every club, Arsenal players are under massive pressure for not achieving the top 4, Morgan is getting booed walking on the pitch, Ronaldo is seeing his ability and looks slipping away with every passing year...it isn't unique to us.

the issue for me is why talk about it now?

Talking about it now makes it look like MP is trying to deflect blame away from himself, give excuses for the league position, let the players off for being ****e, give the players excuses for half hearted displays...etc etc

I for one don’t have much sympathy for the “stress” our current squad is under and, as for Pellegrino, it would be better for him to say nothing at all than to say something that will inflame the fan base at a sensitive time. He does, after all, have control over his own mouth.

It would be better if the fan base didn't get so narked about every thing, after all as grown men, they should have control of their emotions.

Pellegrino the modern day fall guy.

Its all his fault we've sold all our best players, its all his fault he was appointed despite being unready, its Pellegrinos fault we banked 50 million in January. Its his fault we've won the net transfer spend every summer since Cortese left.

Its Pellegrino fault that he has not been fired

The more time passes the more rediculous Pellegrino becomes...

What is he doing ?

Discussing players sleeping habits/ problems while he has a heap of other more pressing issues of his own to worry about and explain is iffinately more important. Does he really believe we will be sucked in by such lame excuses? Has he completely lost the plot?

How does he have time to even think about discussing sleeping pills in any form to the public... The guy is not focussed on the relevant pressing issues of his team. He doesn’t plan, he doesn’t have contingencies, he can’t fathom tactics, his team are unfit, most certainly they are not motivated. Most certainly individually and as a team there is no evidence of good coaching at all and yet amongst these and a plethora of other glaring ineptitude’s the Manager finds time to discuss players sleeping patterns!

He just seems to be somewhere else all the time. He doesn’t see the same games as the rest of us, his words and actions are strange. The world revolves but he seems be oblivious to what’s going on around him and unable to properly focus on anything.

I am sure a psychologist would nail the problems very quickly but surely this just cannot continue. The muddled thinking off the pitch which we see won’t be any different in the changing room and we know it’s no different as a consequence on the pitch.

He needs to be taken out of the situation quickly and replaced with a determined, focused person who is of strong mind, has an awareness of priorities and is able to technically coach and motivate non of which can our present ‘Manager’ do adequately...

Let’s all jump on Pellegrino again for something we know nothing about and has very little context other than being an online interview that he’s conducted.

If you look at the other interviews on that page they are discussing depression in football, racism, violent fans and a host of other topics. They obviously cover a range of footballing issues and Pellegrino has been interviewed on one of those issues. Perhaps, for once, the forum warriors could keep the vitriol under wraps and discuss the issue he’s discussing rather than immediately linking the issue to him personally and the situation at saints

The more time passes the more rediculous Pellegrino becomes...

What is he doing ?

Discussing players sleeping habits/ problems while he has a heap of other more pressing issues of his own to worry about and explain is iffinately more important. Does he really believe we will be sucked in by such lame excuses? Has he completely lost the plot?

How does he have time to even think about discussing sleeping pills in any form to the public... The guy is not focussed on the relevant pressing issues of his team. He doesn’t plan, he doesn’t have contingencies, he can’t fathom tactics, his team are unfit, most certainly they are not motivated. Most certainly individually and as a team there is no evidence of good coaching at all and yet amongst these and a plethora of other glaring ineptitude’s the Manager finds time to discuss players sleeping patterns!

He just seems to be somewhere else all the time. He doesn’t see the same games as the rest of us, his words and actions are strange. The world revolves but he seems be oblivious to what’s going on around him and unable to properly focus on anything.

I am sure a psychologist would nail the problems very quickly but surely this just cannot continue. The muddled thinking off the pitch which we see won’t be any different in the changing room and we know it’s no different as a consequence on the pitch.

He needs to be taken out of the situation quickly and replaced with a determined, focused person who is of strong mind, has an awareness of priorities and is able to technically coach and motivate non of which can our present ‘Manager’ do adequately...

Perhaps it's a cry for help? He is probably under immense pressure from a board who are (it looks like from outside) sitting back and just heaping more on him...they don't appear to be helping (he was talking about players in and yet we got one player for example- or they are all abroad in China whilst our first team crumbles)

It's probably him needing pills to sleep...