Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Double Carrillo update today. This time linked with a swap deal for Mady Camara (22 year old Defensive midfielder, linked with Newcastle & Watford recently).

Speculative at best.

According to a claim in the Greek media, Olympiacos are interested in signing Southampton striker Guido Carillo, which could see their midfielder Mady Camara heading the other way.

It’s been reported by Sdna.Gr Southampton were following Camara throughout last season and will continue to watch him during the upcoming African Cup of Nations. There have been no reports if the Premier League side are lining up an offer for the Guinea international.

Camara has previously been linked with a move to fellow Premier League side Watford after reports he’s seen as a possible successor to Abdoulaye Doucoure.

Sdna.Gr also say Olympicaos are interested in signing Carillo from Southampton on a loan deal. The Argentine spent last season on loan with La Liga side Leganes, under former Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

They want him back on loan, and there’s interest elsewhere in Spain as well as at Boca Juniors.

Should Southampton interest in Camara be strong then it’s a good way to solve the Carrillo problem, if he’d agree to a move to Greece.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-looking-sign-midfielder-forward-go-way/

Edited by SuperSAINT

Complete joke of a transfer, such a waste of funds.

And the death knell for Dr Bunsen Honeydew too....

The whole thing was a shambles from start to finish. The worst thing we have done in my living memory.. Even Ali Dia did not cost us much, but this lunatic decision is our record transfer FFS..

Yeh I think it was the transfer that sealed Les' fate, to sign such an average at best striker as a record transfer is just gross incompetence, if the guy was 22 maybe you could argue there was some potential there but he was basically at his peak and proven to be mediocre.

Yeh I think it was the transfer that sealed Les' fate, to sign such an average at best striker as a record transfer is just gross incompetence, if the guy was 22 maybe you could argue there was some potential there but he was basically at his peak and proven to be mediocre.
Should of culled WW Wilson too. How the **** is he still here, and been promoted!! W.T.F Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Let's not forget swapping Bales add ons and sell on % for Tommy Forecast. Still gives me nightmares.

That was slightly out of our hands though, we needed the cash to stave off admin (which happened anyway in the end) and Levy f*cked us hard and without lube because we couldn't say no. Also lets not forget Redknapp almost sold him to Birmingham in his first season there, and if he had no one would even be talking about it.

Lee Todd

Lee Todd was god awful, the worst player i've ever seen wear our shirt by some distance, but at least he played some games (badly, very, very badly), didn't cost that much and wasn't a replacement for Alan Shearer. Nor did Dave Jones say he'd score more goals in a season than Shearer would in the rest of his career, like Ian F*cking Branfoot did about Dixon and Speedie

Vegard Forren

Yeah that was an odd one.

He was cheap and worth a risk. Wasn't he half the price of Gardos?

Awful signings are the ones that stop you having money for anyone else. Carrillo showed that we weren't tight, we were just incompetent. Panic signing a striker to save Pellegrino's job is the most ridiculous decision I've seen.

You’re right. Carrillo really was a terrible signing & trumps all others.

Massive chunk of the VvD cash gone straight away for a manager who was sacked soon after.

Carrillo was/is terrible.

Absolutely NOTHING about him suggested he would be anything other than an abject failure of a signing.

It was quite weird when a few on here flipped his games/goals stats around to claim he had a good scoring record. I remember CB Fry having fun with that one

You’re right. Carrillo really was a terrible signing & trumps all others.

Massive chunk of the VvD cash gone straight away for a manager who was sacked soon after.

Giving the manager the money was a big mistake. Its not even hindsight saying that. We all saw MP was struggling, and we all saw GC's stats. Monaco took our pants down on that one.

Carrillo was/is terrible.

Absolutely NOTHING about him suggested he would be anything other than an abject failure of a signing.

It was quite weird when a few on here flipped his games/goals stats around to claim he had a good scoring record. I remember CB Fry having fun with that one

Goal every other game mate. FACT.

He was cheap and worth a risk. Wasn't he half the price of Gardos?

Awful signings are the ones that stop you having money for anyone else. Carrillo showed that we weren't tight, we were just incompetent. Panic signing a striker to save Pellegrino's job is the most ridiculous decision I've seen.

I'm with you. 15 goals in 65 appearances at Monaco. What on earth made the club think he was worth spending £19m on? Absolute ****ing madness. Monaco didn't even really want him. Loan with view to buy...simples. Woeful negotiating, woeful decision making, woeful management.

I'm with you. 15 goals in 65 appearances at Monaco. What on earth made the club think he was worth spending £19m on? Absolute ****ing madness. Monaco didn't even really want him. Loan with view to buy...simples. Woeful negotiating, woeful decision making, woeful management.

I recall most of his goals were in cup as well against lower sides, im sure he got 3 or 4 in 1 game just b4 we signed him

Let's not forget swapping Bales add ons and sell on % for Tommy Forecast. Still gives me nightmares.

I’m pretty sure there was also money involved in that which stopped us from going into admin for a few more months. It’s easy to criticise in hindsight but I think Lowe was just doing whatever it took to keep the club afloat. It’s not as if we were desperate for a keeper, he was just a makeweight.

To think we used to believe Gaston was a poor signing when he cost £12m and ‘only’ got about 6 goals in his first season. He’d get our golden boot these days.

We were desperate and it showed. We thought he'd be a Pelle but evidently not.

I'm still convinced that with a better manager than Pellegrino (the worst Premier League manager we've ever had) he can be a useful player for us. But I wouldn't blame us if we decided to sell.

Lee Todd was god awful, the worst player i've ever seen wear our shirt by some distance, but at least he played some games (badly, very, very badly), didn't cost that much and wasn't a replacement for Alan Shearer.

My friend, you obviously never saw Mr.Fifty Pence Head Calum Davenport play.

We were desperate and it showed. We thought he'd be a Pelle but evidently not.

I'm still convinced that with a better manager than Pellegrino (the worst Premier League manager we've ever had) he can be a useful player for us. But I wouldn't blame us if we decided to sell.

Why are you convinced about that? He looked awful when he played for us, his career prior to us basically said he would flop here. One of the worst signings the Premier League has ever seen for the money we spent on him.

My friend, you obviously never saw Mr.Fifty Pence Head Calum Davenport play.

I've been going since 84, had a season ticket since the mid 90s and do in the region of 15-18 aways a season. I saw Davenport, you clearly didn't see Todd. He's the only player i've ever seen another professional footballer take pity on during a game. Away to Arsenal Henry skinned him so many times, and made him look so bad, he actually apologised to him. The guy is hands down the worst player Saints have ever had in my lifetime (and i was there the day of the Ali Dia game)

I've been going since 84, had a season ticket since the mid 90s and do in the region of 15-18 aways a season. I saw Davenport, you clearly didn't see Todd. He's the only player i've ever seen another professional footballer take pity on during a game. Away to Arsenal Henry skinned him so many times, and made him look so bad, he actually apologised to him. The guy is hands down the worst player Saints have ever had in my lifetime (and i was there the day of the Ali Dia game)

Anthony Pulis?

I'll never forget being at Wigan for his 'performance' up there in the cup. We should have made him walk home after that.
It wasn't worse than Austin away at Fulham though. He should never have played for us again after that. Absolutely disgraceful lack of effort.

It wasn't worse than Austin away at Fulham though. He should never have played for us again after that. Absolutely disgraceful lack of effort.

Fair point. Those 45 minutes from fat chaz do take some beating.

It was pre Henry, it was Bergamp and Overmars days. Lee Todd was definitely out of his depth that day. We lost 3 nil.

Yeah that was the day, memory obviously isn't what it was as i thought it was Henry so it must've been another player, but remember him being literally being apologised too.

Was it Marco Almeida, who played for us very briefly at CB?

Yes, late 90s. He was awful, not Lee Todd awful but pretty bad.

The worst centre back I’ve ever seen at saints was a player most wont remember called Scott Mashall. Dave Jones signed him from arsenal for about £500k, he was considered a bit of a coup. He played two games for us we conceded 9 goals in those games, he scored two own goals and I don’t think he ever played for us again, he made Steven Caulker look like Bobby Moore.

Yes, late 90s. He was awful, not Lee Todd awful but pretty bad.

The worst centre back I’ve ever seen at saints was a player most wont remember called Scott Mashall. Dave Jones signed him from arsenal for about £500k, he was considered a bit of a coup. He played two games for us we conceded 9 goals in those games, he scored two own goals and I don’t think he ever played for us again, he made Steven Caulker look like Bobby Moore.

He was horrifically bad, another injury prone signing from Arsenal. He was just ****, but we see, to have along line of crap CB’#!

Bloody hell this thread is giving me the shudders. Lee Todd, Scott Marshall, Almeida. We are only missing Ollie Lancashire :mcinnes:

Lee Todd is the one I remember most. Can’t remember who we were playing but his first match at The Dell saw his opponent just chip the ball over his head every time he got it and just ran past him. He was without doubt abysmal.

Bloody hell this thread is giving me the shudders. Lee Todd, Scott Marshall, Almeida. We are only missing Ollie Lancashire :mcinnes:

Lee Todd is the one I remember most. Can’t remember who we were playing but his first match at The Dell saw his opponent just chip the ball over his head every time he got it and just ran past him. He was without doubt abysmal.

Could be wrong but if memory serves it was v Bolton. The ‘chipping over his head’ issue still haunts my dreams to this day. Some wag in the Milton kept shouting to the subs who were warming up to ‘get Todd a f.ucking stepladder!’ every time it happened!! Awful signing.

I remember Richard Dryden and the 5-0 horror show at Newcastle, in January 2000. A promising start in 96/97 quickly degenerated into anonymity with loans to third division teams and his only and final appearance being the 5-0 loss in the 99/00 season.