Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

I remember Richard Dryden and the 5-0 horror show at Newcastle, in January 2000. A promising start in 96/97 quickly degenerated into anonymity with loans to third division teams and his only and final appearance being the 5-0 loss in the 99/00 season.

I’d forgotten about Trigger. He was still better than Lee Todd though.

Yes, late 90s. He was awful, not Lee Todd awful but pretty bad.

The worst centre back I’ve ever seen at saints was a player most wont remember called Scott Mashall. Dave Jones signed him from arsenal for about £500k, he was considered a bit of a coup. He played two games for us we conceded 9 goals in those games, he scored two own goals and I don’t think he ever played for us again, he made Steven Caulker look like Bobby Moore.

Bloody hell, what flashbacks! Marshall's most successful period thereafter was four seasons at Brentford where he made about 70 appearances in all - the perennial Arsenal prospect. I thought when we signed Todd the high low point had been reached, a six stone emaciated midget who couldn't defend. Salad days...

I remember Richard Dryden and the 5-0 horror show at Newcastle, in January 2000. A promising start in 96/97 quickly degenerated into anonymity with loans to third division teams and his only and final appearance being the 5-0 loss in the 99/00 season.

Yes, I remember the promising start. Kept Gianluca Vialli in his pocket in Souness' first(?) game in charge:

https://www.premierleague.com/match/1776

I can't be the only one who, when this thread has a new post, is hoping that this might have been resolved, and am sorely disappointed that it never is!

It’s still unbelievable how they let Monaco take their pants down on this deal. No wonder Reed got the sack. And it’s still our record deal in.......

I'll see your Richard Dryden and raise you Alan Bennett's debut.

Speaking of debuts, Martin Cranie was far from a bad player, but he had a poor debut starting in an unfamiliar position at left back. Probably not the worse debut but IIRC he scored an own goal...

Bloody hell, what flashbacks! Marshall's most successful period thereafter was four seasons at Brentford where he made about 70 appearances in all - the perennial Arsenal prospect. I thought when we signed Todd the high low point had been reached, a six stone emaciated midget who couldn't defend. Salad days...

I remember meeting him in an estate agents on London Road at the time looking at rentals. Wasn’t he Pompey or something? Getting confused in my old age

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember meeting him in an estate agents on London Road at the time looking at rentals. Wasn’t he Pompey or something? Getting confused in my old age

I was at LSU at the time on the Avenue. Does anyone know if it’s still there?

Olympiacos are looking to bring in a new striker this summer and are reportedly still targeting Southampton’s Guido Carrillo and Huddersfield Town’s Steve Mounie, claims Greek website Sdna.Gr.

Both players have recently been linked with with a move to the Greek club, and today, Sdna report Olympiacos officials are seriously considering the two attackers.

With regards to Carrillo it’s reported Olympiacos are hoping Jorge Mendes will help them land the Southampton player this summer.

It seems the Argentine doesn’t have a future with Southampton after failing to make an impact since his move from AS Monaco. Last season he was loaned out to La Liga side Leganes, where he played under former Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

Mounie is also expected to leave Huddersfield Town after the club’s relegation and Olympiacos could be his next destination. The report considers it unlikely the player will want to play in the Championship with the Terriers, and he could force a transfer this summer.

Olympiacos also have other options, with claims the Greek giants are weighing up a move for Benfica’s Facundo Fereyra and Napoli’s Carlos Vinicius

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-still-looking-bring-either-southampton-huddersfield-town-forward/

Could be wrong but if memory serves it was v Bolton. The ‘chipping over his head’ issue still haunts my dreams to this day. Some wag in the Milton kept shouting to the subs who were warming up to ‘get Todd a f.ucking stepladder!’ every time it happened!! Awful signing.

If it's the same game I'm thinking of Andy Williams was unleashed on an unsuspecting public that day along with some Scandinavian 'striker' who played about 8 games for us and never scored. We lost 0 1, Nathan Blake scored for them.

If it's the same game I'm thinking of Andy Williams was unleashed on an unsuspecting public that day along with some Scandinavian 'striker' who played about 8 games for us and never scored. We lost 0 1, Nathan Blake scored for them.

Stig Johansen?

Who was that winkle we had from Spurs on loan, touted as the Cats Pyjamas (like em all) played one half looking like a fish up a tree never to be seen again! Might have been part of the luggage that came with Tommy Fourpast! While the goalie was a milestone at least we hadn't coughed up readies on this other Johnny.

Who was that winkle we had from Spurs on loan, touted as the Cats Pyjamas (like em all) played one half looking like a fish up a tree never to be seen again! Might have been part of the luggage that came with Tommy Fourpast! While the goalie was a milestone at least we hadn't coughed up readies on this other Johnny.

You’re probably thinking of Iago Falque, or ‘Flakey’ as I called him. Played in a home defeat to Leicester when we got promoted.

Iago Falque - he's actually gone onto have a decent career in Serie A at Roma and Torino.

Signing Southampton player is ‘something of a priority’ – ‘complex’ talks predicted

As transfers go, Guido Carrillo’s £19.8m move from AS Monaco to Southampton has been as close to a disaster as it could have.

Following his very expensive switch in January 2018, the Argentine only spent six months at St Mary’s before being sent on loan to Leganes last summer, where he played a fair bit.

While not the first name on the team sheet, the 28-year-old still featured 32 times in the league for the La Liga side, managing to score six goals and assist teammates once along the way.

With no option to buy the player in the deal, Carrillo was expected to return to Southampton this summer, where a solution would have needed to be found, as Ralph Hasenhuttl was unlikely to want his services for the coming campaign.

However, there’s a chance the striker could stay where he is, as AS explain Leganes have made his return to the club ‘something of a priority’ as they look for a new striker.

With Chimy Avila going to Osasuna and Martin Braithwaite unobtainable at €8m, Carrillo’s return appears to be the least difficult deal to pull off.

The Spanish newspaper believe a package similar to that made last summer (paying around €1m for the loan and taking on a ‘good part’ of his salary) could be on the cards, even if Southampton aren’t thrilled at the idea.

Talks to that end are ‘continuing, haven’t stopped and promise to be very complex’, but the desire from Leganes is there.

Southampton, down their end, would much rather sell Carrillo and be done with him once and for all, but they know that might be difficult, especially since the Spanish side can’t afford that, or at least can’t afford a transfer that would allow the Saints to recoup most of their original expenditure.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-interested-similar-deal-last-year-southampton-player-saints-prefer-something-else/

I'll see your Richard Dryden and raise you Alan Bennett's debut.

hard to top that, but I'd like to chuck Ian Andrews' display away at QPR many moons ago now. I've never seen a Saints keeping display quite like it. The goal he let through his legs made Taibi's **** up look professional. Can't recall if he played again. If he did he shouldnt have.

Bolton in purple if I recall? Bergsson & Taggart at the back for them?

Stig Johansen? Was our big signing that summer c97 and was awful.

West Brom and Southampton players seen as targets for Boca Juniors:

According to Marca, striker Dario Benedetto wants to leave Boca Juniors this summer, and that could end up affecting West Brom or Southampton.

Not because the striker is being linked with either of those clubs but because Boca would turn their eye on either team’s strikers as a replacement.

Marca reports that Benedetto is looking to make a move to Marseille, who want to pay $10m for his signature. Boca, though, want closer to his $21m release clause.

Benedetto is hoping that the two clubs can reach an agreement and it’s likely he’ll leave after the club’s president said they’re not interested in keeping players who don’t want to be there.

And should he depart, Boca would turn their attention towards either West Brom’s Solomon Rondon or Southampton striker Guido Carrillo.

Both spent this season away from their parent clubs to various levels of success. Rondon was highly successful at Newcastle, scoring 12 goals and registering four assists in all competitions.

Carrillo, meanwhile, spent the year at Leganes and scored six goals and managed one assist in 33 games in all competitions. Those aren’t great stats, but Leganes are keen to take him back regardless.

It all depends on Benedetto, though, who at this moment has to hope Marseille stump up the cash for him.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-brom-southampton-players-seen-targets-boca-juniors/

• 2 weeks later...
Elynoussi for me. I haven’t seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling

I know it was only one game but the FA Cup game against Wigan, in which Carrillo was anonymous, left me wondering just how bad a player we’d spent £19m on.

Adjusted for inflation, I’d say the fees we spent on Delgado and Osvaldo were as bad but at least they had one good moment apiece and against decent opposition too.

Elynoussi for me. I haven’t seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling

Ely does look terrible but without viewing hours of scouting footage on paper at least there was a rationale for signing him, had done well in CL, performed v City etc. Carrillo was no business case for whatsoever other than Les being desperate not to sack the nervous wreck he’d appointed, following the dullard before him (who looked like Pep by comparison) after an exciting team had finished 6th and 7th under a manager he couldn’t control, Ronald. Ralph would have eaten Les for breakfast and humiliated him in the press. However, Les should have been sacked the summer after Hughes kept them up.

I know it was only one game but the FA Cup game against Wigan, in which Carrillo was anonymous, left me wondering just how bad a player we’d spent £19m on.

Adjusted for inflation, I’d say the fees we spent on Delgado and Osvaldo were as bad but at least they had one good moment apiece and against decent opposition too.

And those two had ability, so there was at least a chance of them being decent for us. On the other hand everyone knew how awful the Donkey was before we even signed him. Everyone except of course Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and the Clown. So pound for pound he has to be the worst ever signing.

From Les with Love.

And to think of the abuse I took for criticizing Big Leslie.

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

He had his defenders right till the end.

And to think of the abuse I took for criticizing Big Leslie.

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

He had his defenders right till the end.

You're talking too much sense recently, but I was a supporter of Les and can now see he has left us in an almighty mess.

"Carrillo our worst ever signing?"

I'm just going to put Saul and Dixon on the table and leave them there smelling

I saw Frank Saul having a good game once, v Newcastle in the 3rd Round FA Cup 1970, think he scored (possibly two). His biggest problems were having been a makeweight (as I recall) in the sale of Chivers, and deputising for the legend of Ron Davies. Two major obstacles to overcome in peoples minds. A long time ago but I don't recall the depths of despair on hearing his name read out as much as later misfits such as Paul Moody.

Can't recall Cariillo scoring for us or having a game that left you feeling there's hope there and he'll come good in time. Credit for his lofted ball at WBA in the Cup but had to question if it was a misguided lob at goal.

Dixon and Speedie, yes I grant you, monumental f^ckwit signings that even Les Reed would have been proud of.

If you are going back that far, there are a number of contenders. I saw all of them play and if you mention Kerry Dixon, you have to include David Speedie, who didn’t want to come here (a make weight in selling Shearer to Blackburn) and caused trouble with players, management and fans.

I would also throw the name of Lew Chatterley in. A mate of Lawrie, he became one of his first signings. But even LM realised that Chatterley was out of his depth and sold him on quickly.

Came back as a coach a few seasons later and did a good job.

Don't think we have for the money paid.

Agree - Our club record signing, 10 mediocre appearances where it became clear he could not cut it at this level, loaned to a lower league Spanish club as a benchwalmer and hardly has a queue of suitors clammouring to sign him.

Yep he is the worst - A genius decision from Bunsen and beaker.

Hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip and was playing under the worst manager we've had in years.

For me there are worse signings

Mayuka

Hoedt

Davenport

Quashie

Forster

But it's all personal taste.

If you take Hoedt out of the equation for a minute, as that is a problem area all of its own, I think Carillo probably cost more than the others combined. Plus in his defence we had a couple of seasons from Forster where he appeared a reasoanble option and signing.

As you say, personal opinion.

Feel a bit sorry for Carillo though as he was embarrassingly out of his depth but did show a willingness and desire to play for us, and at least was making the effort. Can't say the same for several others over the years, Speedie, Quashie (after he lost interest), and going back twenty years, Mark Hughes just went through the motions.