Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Guido Carrillo

1. Default

West Brom and Southampton players seen as targets for Boca Juniors:

According to Marca, striker Dario Benedetto wants to leave Boca Juniors this summer, and that could end up affecting West Brom or Southampton.

Not because the striker is being linked with either of those clubs but because Boca would turn their eye on either teamís strikers as a replacement.

Marca reports that Benedetto is looking to make a move to Marseille, who want to pay $10m for his signature. Boca, though, want closer to his $21m release clause.

Benedetto is hoping that the two clubs can reach an agreement and itís likely heíll leave after the clubís president said theyíre not interested in keeping players who donít want to be there.

And should he depart, Boca would turn their attention towards either West Bromís Solomon Rondon or Southampton striker Guido Carrillo.

Both spent this season away from their parent clubs to various levels of success. Rondon was highly successful at Newcastle, scoring 12 goals and registering four assists in all competitions.

Carrillo, meanwhile, spent the year at Leganes and scored six goals and managed one assist in 33 games in all competitions. Those arenít great stats, but Leganes are keen to take him back regardless.

It all depends on Benedetto, though, who at this moment has to hope Marseille stump up the cash for him.
    Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-brom-...-boca-juniors/

our worst ever signing, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I can think of a few players over the years whose footballing ability was arguably poorer than Carillo's, but in terms of return on investment then yes, he must be right near at the top of that list.

Blog Entries

From Les with Love.

Elynoussi for me. I havenít seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Elynoussi for me. I haven’t seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling
    I know it was only one game but the FA Cup game against Wigan, in which Carrillo was anonymous, left me wondering just how bad a player we’d spent £19m on.

Adjusted for inflation, I’d say the fees we spent on Delgado and Osvaldo were as bad but at least they had one good moment apiece and against decent opposition too.

Elynoussi for me. I havenít seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling
    Ely does look terrible but without viewing hours of scouting footage on paper at least there was a rationale for signing him, had done well in CL, performed v City etc. Carrillo was no business case for whatsoever other than Les being desperate not to sack the nervous wreck heíd appointed, following the dullard before him (who looked like Pep by comparison) after an exciting team had finished 6th and 7th under a manager he couldnít control, Ronald. Ralph would have eaten Les for breakfast and humiliated him in the press. However, Les should have been sacked the summer after Hughes kept them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I know it was only one game but the FA Cup game against Wigan, in which Carrillo was anonymous, left me wondering just how bad a player we’d spent £19m on.

Adjusted for inflation, I’d say the fees we spent on Delgado and Osvaldo were as bad but at least they had one good moment apiece and against decent opposition too.
    And those two had ability, so there was at least a chance of them being decent for us. On the other hand everyone knew how awful the Donkey was before we even signed him. Everyone except of course Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and the Clown. So pound for pound he has to be the worst ever signing.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    From Les with Love.
    And to think of the abuse I took for criticizing Big Leslie.

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

He had his defenders right till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

You're talking too much sense recently, but I was a supporter of Les and can now see he has left us in an almighty mess.

no, we’ve done much worse than him over the years.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    no, weíve done much worse than him over the years.
    Don't think we have for the money paid.

13. Default

"Carrillo our worst ever signing?"

I'm just going to put Saul and Dixon on the table and leave them there smelling

Quote Originally Posted by macca155 View Post
    "Carrillo our worst ever signing?"

I'm just going to put Saul and Dixon on the table and leave them there smelling
    I saw Frank Saul having a good game once, v Newcastle in the 3rd Round FA Cup 1970, think he scored (possibly two). His biggest problems were having been a makeweight (as I recall) in the sale of Chivers, and deputising for the legend of Ron Davies. Two major obstacles to overcome in peoples minds. A long time ago but I don't recall the depths of despair on hearing his name read out as much as later misfits such as Paul Moody.

Can't recall Cariillo scoring for us or having a game that left you feeling there's hope there and he'll come good in time. Credit for his lofted ball at WBA in the Cup but had to question if it was a misguided lob at goal.

Dixon and Speedie, yes I grant you, monumental f^ckwit signings that even Les Reed would have been proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    maybe not but he didnt say that

If you are going back that far, there are a number of contenders. I saw all of them play and if you mention Kerry Dixon, you have to include David Speedie, who didn’t want to come here (a make weight in selling Shearer to Blackburn) and caused trouble with players, management and fans.
    I would also throw the name of Lew Chatterley in. A mate of Lawrie, he became one of his first signings. But even LM realised that Chatterley was out of his depth and sold him on quickly.
    Came back as a coach a few seasons later and did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Agree - Our club record signing, 10 mediocre appearances where it became clear he could not cut it at this level, loaned to a lower league Spanish club as a benchwalmer and hardly has a queue of suitors clammouring to sign him.

Yep he is the worst - A genius decision from Bunsen and beaker.

Hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip and was playing under the worst manager we've had in years.

For me there are worse signings

Mayuka
    Hoedt
    Davenport
    Quashie
    Forster

But it's all personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip and was playing under the worst manager we've had in years.

For me there are worse signings

Mayuka
    Hoedt
    Davenport
    Quashie
    Forster

But it's all personal taste.
    If you take Hoedt out of the equation for a minute, as that is a problem area all of its own, I think Carillo probably cost more than the others combined. Plus in his defence we had a couple of seasons from Forster where he appeared a reasoanble option and signing.

As you say, personal opinion.

Feel a bit sorry for Carillo though as he was embarrassingly out of his depth but did show a willingness and desire to play for us, and at least was making the effort. Can't say the same for several others over the years, Speedie, Quashie (after he lost interest), and going back twenty years, Mark Hughes just went through the motions.

Unquestionably the worst signing based on his fee and contribution to date. But that could change if he comes back and breaks into the first team again.

As for the worst player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, I'd probably to go for Kanchelskis. Think he did actually manage two substitute appearances, but the one game I saw him in he did nothing other than spoon a cross into the crowd. Well and truly past his best days for United and Everton. Even Ali Dia got a shot on target!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If you take Hoedt out of the equation for a minute, as that is a problem area all of its own, I think Carillo probably cost more than the others combined. Plus in his defence we had a couple of seasons from Forster where he appeared a reasoanble option and signing.

As you say, personal opinion.

Feel a bit sorry for Carillo though as he was embarrassingly out of his depth but did show a willingness and desire to play for us, and at least was making the effort. Can't say the same for several others over the years, Speedie, Quashie (after he lost interest), and going back twenty years, Mark Hughes just went through the motions.
    Forster has never been much cop, just blessed with an incredible back 4 infront of him, soon as that vanished, he was exposed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    maybe not but he didnt say that
    Depends how you measure worst ever signing then I suppose.

Blog Entries

Although Carillo has the honour of being the only footballer my wife has ever recognised in a bar in Ocean Village

24. Default

Agreed. Hands down the worst player I've seen 'perform' for us since we came back up. That would be bad enough if he was free, but we paid circa £15m for this goon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinned View Post
    If you are going back that far, there are a number of contenders. I saw all of them play and if you mention Kerry Dixon, you have to include David Speedie, who didn’t want to come here (a make weight in selling Shearer to Blackburn) and caused trouble with players, management and fans.
    I would also throw the name of Lew Chatterley in. A mate of Lawrie, he became one of his first signings. But even LM realised that Chatterley was out of his depth and sold him on quickly.
    Came back as a coach a few seasons later and did a good job.
    Funnily enough, just reading about worst ever signings and Lew Chatterley immediately came to mind for me too, as you say, totally out of his depth. Best remembered as a good loyal coach in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    Agreed. Hands down the worst player I've seen 'perform' for us since we came back up. That would be bad enough if he was free, but we paid circa £15m for this goon.
    Whenever I see Moi play I think to myself that no one can be that bad. He came with a good track record - surely he can't be that bad - can he?

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Saint View Post
    Whenever I see Moi play I think to myself that no one can be that bad. He came with a good track record - surely he can't be that bad - can he?
    Yeah the other day i was astounded looking at Wikipedia at the number of goals he has scored given how poor he's been.

Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    I don't understand why we're not trying to offload him - he is an international, and with his wages subsidized there would surely be takers. He should have absolutely no future here as he's way way below the required standard.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Saint View Post
    Normally even with an average player there is some positive attributes, but honestly with Moi I just can't think of one thing he is actually good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    Normally even with an average player there is some positive attributes, but honestly with Moi I just can't think of one thing he is actually good at.
    He's good at crossing, he can control a football, and his off the ball movement is pretty good.

Unfortunately, because he's so slow he rarely gets clear of a defender to get a cross in.

It also seems that after he scuffed his first couple of chances early on, all his confidence left him and now he just looks like he doesn't trust himself.

Even if he does get his confidence back, his lack of pace will always be a problem. I can't think of many effective slow wide players in the Premier League over the past decade.

Tadic under Koeman?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    Tadic under Koeman?
    He's like an Olympic sprinter compared to Moi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    He's like an Olympic sprinter compared to Moi.
    It wasn’t so much pace as acceleration/deceleration over two yards. The ability to change pace and direction quickly, put a defender on his back foot and make a space in the right area for just long enough to put a decent ball in. It’s a fine skill which Moi just doesn’t have.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

If you promise to stop posting irritating animated gifs I'll take you off my ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Uwe View Post
    Unquestionably the worst signing based on his fee and contribution to date. But that could change if he comes back and breaks into the first team again.

As for the worst player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, I'd probably to go for Kanchelskis. Think he did actually manage two substitute appearances, but the one game I saw him in he did nothing other than spoon a cross into the crowd. Well and truly past his best days for United and Everton. Even Ali Dia got a shot on target!
    Kanckelskis made one appearance as sub in a game we actually won - home v Everton. Don't think it very fair to include him in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenilworthy View Post
    Kanckelskis made one appearance as sub in a game we actually won - home v Everton. Don't think it very fair to include him in this debate.
    Plus there have been many other equally anonymous, low risk signings/loans. Falque, O’Halloran, Forren, Taider <3, Yahia, etc.

Amazed Barry Vennison slipped through the Speedie Dixon net - we bought a cut and shut with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenilworthy View Post
    We should have retired #7. Instead we gave it to him!

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    If you promise to stop posting irritating animated gifs I'll take you off my ignore list.

40. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    How did you manage to quote and reply to him if you have him on ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    How did you manage to quote and reply to him if you have him on ignore?
    People have been quoting him (positively), so I clicked "view post"!

42. Default

Southampton player ‘in limbo’, Saints ignoring his existence, transfer will take time:

Throughout this summer we’ve brought you various updates on the future of Southampton striker Guido Carrillo.

The Argentine spent last season on loan with Leganes and looks extremely likely to leave the club again this summer.

AS provided the last update on his future, stating that Leganes were chasing another loan deal but Southampton were playing hardball and wanted to get rid of him permanently.

They update the story today and say that Carrillo currently finds himself ‘in limbo’ and is waiting for his future to be sorted out.

Their report says he recently returned to Southampton for the start of pre-season but hasn’t travelled with the squad for a training camp in Austria.

Likewise, the club have deleted all mentions of him from their website. He doesn’t appear in the squad list and attempts to find him via a search engine produce nothing.

That shows Southampton’s stance but so far a transfer deal is proving hard to get done. Leganes remain keen on signing him again but it’s not a move that can be resolved quickly.

Carrillo remains ‘a priority’ for the La Liga club and asked for a second loan deal but Southampton are determined to secure a permanent sale. They want to recoup ‘a good part’ of their €20m investment. That’s presumably something Leganes wouldn’t be able to match given they’re chasing a loan deal.

If they can’t get a deal done, AS report he has several other options in La Liga, specifically naming Getafe as another interested party.

Southampton’s asking price is likely to push other potential suitors away as well, though, and until they lower it or consider a loan move for him, Carrillo is likely to remain stuck in limbo for the foreseeable future.
    Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampto...ill-take-time/

We don't have any of last season's loaned out brigade on the website, but we do have Austin and Lemina still on there, so not too much to read into that.