Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Guido Carrillo

Why does this thread pop up every week. The guy showed that he wasn't nearly good enough for the PL. I don't care what he does/doesn't do elsewhere

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    We’ve all seen him in the PL and he’s nowhere near good enough.
    No way of knowing - he had sweet FA opportunity to settle in or play in a side that gave him any service whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    No way of knowing - he had sweet FA opportunity to settle in or play in a side that gave him any service whatsoever
    Agree, he was thrust into an under performing side and given 7 games, and then bombed out. Shane Long, 2 goals in how many games?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    2 goals today for him, away to Valladolid.
    And had a third disallowed.

Happy days, maybe get 5 million for him in january

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Why does this thread pop up every week. The guy showed that he wasn't nearly good enough for the PL. I don't care what he does/doesn't do elsewhere
    Because he's still ours, and if he can score a few we may be able to find some sucker to buy him, with luck for about half what we paid.

Am in Barca at moment and watched a bit. His headed goal was very good.
    The pace of games here suit him.

Watched Barca u11 they have this wonderkid Michel Zuk he will be next world star.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Because he's still ours, and if he can score a few we may be able to find some sucker to buy him, with luck for about half what we paid.
    I always found it odd that he cost so much & yet only effectively signed a 3 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    This is so ridiculous. He barely played, and played in a team where everyone was struggling.

Carillo is written off, yet Long and Austin are fine contributed nothing and never scoring? I'd far rather have Carrillo as an option this season, he's a much different option to Ings or Gabbiadini and one we need.

It's not like he's gone off to bang in a few in some useless league, it's a very high standard.

Why can't people seem to get their heads around players taking time to settle into new countries, leagues and systems? Countless players have struggled initially and come good. Doesn't mean he will, but does make writing him off in a handful of games fairly pathetic. Same with Vesterguard and Elyounoussi.

He is better than Long and Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would be even better with Ings for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    This is so ridiculous. He barely played, and played in a team where everyone was struggling.

Carillo is written off, yet Long and Austin are fine contributed nothing and never scoring? I'd far rather have Carrillo as an option this season, he's a much different option to Ings or Gabbiadini and one we need.

It's not like he's gone off to bang in a few in some useless league, it's a very high standard.

Why can't people seem to get their heads around players taking time to settle into new countries, leagues and systems? Countless players have struggled initially and come good. Doesn't mean he will, but does make writing him off in a handful of games fairly pathetic. Same with Vesterguard and Elyounoussi.
    Shhhh yourself, he had his seven game trial and failed. The forum experts have spoken.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    He is better than Long and Austin.
    Quite a sad reflection on our squad that I both think he is useless and agree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

I'm not writing him off because of the dosen or so games he played for us (although he contributed pretty much nothing, even against Wigan). It's more the entire career averaging about 5 goals a season against French pub teams.

The fact that he was straight out the door after MoPe was sacked (despite being our record signing 6 months earlier) probably shows you how much the club actually rate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    Anyone who saw him on the pitch knows. Didn’t take a football genius to see that he’s not up to it.

15. Default

Nominated for La Liga player of the month. Fair play to him!

@SouthamptonPage: Guido Carrillo has been nominated for La Liga's Player of the Month, alongside Ousmane Dembélé, Dani Carvajal and Iago Aspas!

16. Default

I’m sure he got paid handsomely but I wouldn’t wish his arrival on any new player. The most negative point in our recent history and a complete unknown quantity in himself, was up against it from day one. Really wish him all the best, whether it’s with us or not.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saintwbu View Post
    I’m sure he got paid handsomely but I wouldn’t wish his arrival on any new player. The most negative point in our recent history and a complete unknown quantity in himself, was up against it from day one. Really wish him all the best, whether it’s with us or not.
    Indeed. Him doing well certainly is a win-win as he does his reputation no harm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    Anyone who saw him on the pitch knows. Didn’t take a football genius to see that he’s not up to it.
    I saw him a couple of times. Don't think he did anything particularly wrong, just was playing in a struggling team. Worked hard in the games I saw and decent assist at west brom as well.
    Very easy to write a guy off after seven games, but then again I'm not a football genius. (there are a fair few on this board though, allegedly).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Should he be given another chance under NewRalph?

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Should he be given another chance under NewRalph?
    Ralph definitely needs to look at him and assess whether he could be up to PL standard, personally I think it's too early to write him off and considering he's costing us a lot of money whether he's playing for us or somebody else it's a risk worth taking !
    Ps. with Austin, Long etc.. currently getting games, he doesn't have too much to live up to !!

Nominated for La Liga player of the month. Fair play to him!
    Will increase his value hopefully

22. Default

Scored a 96th minute Thunder-b*stard header to win 1-0 tonight for Leganes vs Valldolid.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Will increase his value hopefully
    Wonder if he could adapt to Ralph’s system? He’ll certainly take a look at him I’m sure.

Oops, sorry, this is the one
    https://youtu.be/XheR_NTMvrY?t=50

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Damn it that's the sort of Lambert like, powering header, at the back post type goal I was hoping he was going to score for us when we signed him.

I hope Ralph gives all the loanees the once over, with a clean slate, in pre-season (well maybe not Hoedt). I can't see us spending much in the summer( more likely a summer squad clear out I reckon). So if he can turn any of that out of favour lot into a useful player more power to him.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    better quality here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XheR...feature=onebox

Portsmouth FC training session?

One of the comments: "Delighted for Mauricio Pellegrino who was never given a proper chance at southamton and was badly let down by the players indeed they have not improved since Mauricio is a brilliant manager and leganes fc are lucky to have him". Must be a Portsmouth fan...

6 goals in 25 games this season. He was never good enough for us and never will be.

Should be sold in the summer, we will have to take a loss but it’s more deadwood off the wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    6 goals in 25 games this season. He was never good enough for us and never will be.

Should be sold in the summer, we will have to take a loss but it’s more deadwood off the wage bill.
    But that’s still better than Long and Austin. We need to shift them as priority number one, if we possibly can. I’d be quite happy for Ralph to have a pre-season with Carrillo then make a call.

Ings, Carrillo, Obafemi, Redmond - that’s a nice mix of attributes. The issue here is that Ings and Obafemi seem to be injured all the time and you question the ability of the ones, other than Ings, to regularly finish with composure.

Carrillo offers us nothing, he's not a PL standard.

32. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    One of the comments: "Delighted for Mauricio Pellegrino who was never given a proper chance at southamton and was badly let down by the players indeed they have not improved since Mauricio is a brilliant manager and leganes fc are lucky to have him". Must be a Portsmouth fan...
    Wow, what utter nonsense. If anything he was given too much time. I'd have fired him the minute we scraped a draw at home against a newly promoted team and he said, "at this stage a draw is as good as a win" or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    But that’s still better than Long and Austin. We need to shift them as priority number one, if we possibly can. I’d be quite happy for Ralph to have a pre-season with Carrillo then make a call.

Ings, Carrillo, Obafemi, Redmond - that’s a nice mix of attributes. The issue here is that Ings and Obafemi seem to be injured all the time and you question the ability of the ones, other than Ings, to regularly finish with composure.
    That’s not a nice mix of attributes, they would be a terrible collection of strikers. Redmond is decent but not a striker. That basically leaves us with Carrillo and two cripples, one of whom us only made a handful of senior appearance anyway.

If that’s what we end up with next season, I’ll be p*ssed off. We need to buy two decent strikers, not zero.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    If anything he was given too much time.
    This x100. Their lingering, unjustifiable faith in him was incredibly frustrating at the time.

Thankfully Ralph et al may have learned from this when they pulled the trigger on sacking Hughes.

35. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    That’s not a nice mix of attributes, they would be a terrible collection of strikers. Redmond is decent but not a striker. That basically leaves us with Carrillo and two cripples, one of whom us only made a handful of senior appearance anyway.

If that’s what we end up with next season, I’ll be p*ssed off. We need to buy two decent strikers, not zero.
    Yep 2 new strikers, the rest can compete for places on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Wow, what utter nonsense. If anything he was given too much time. I'd have fired him the minute we scraped a draw at home against a newly promoted team and he said, "at this stage a draw is as good as a win" or something to that effect.
    The worst moment for me was going 1-0 up against Brighton and then sitting deep and letting them have the ball. If Pellegrino had shown even an ounce of courage and had us push up onto them, we'd have turned them over easily. Back then Brighton had no pace in the team and couldn't have got in behind us. As it was, we stayed narrow and just kept allowing them to ping crosses in until they inevitably scored. Woeful mismanagement of the situation.

Blog Entries

Carrillo has started for Leganes at home to Real Madrid tonight. At half time Leganes are 1-0 up.
    Last edited by Colinjb; 15-04-2019 at 08:01 PM.

In other important news, I learned today from the BBC that the nickname for Leganes is the Cucumbers. Their mascot is called Super Cucumber.

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
    Carrillo has started for Leganes at home to Real Madrid tonight. At half time Leganes are 1-0 up.
    1-1

Blog Entries

1-1
    Leganes just had a goal disallowed for offside (apparently a correct decision). Carrillo was withdrawn on 65m for the chap who 'scored.'
    Last edited by Colinjb; 15-04-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
    Leganes just had a goal disallowed for offside (apparently a correct decision). Carrillo was withdrawn on 65m for the chap who 'scored.'
    Pellegrino has done a fantastic job there. They are on course for the highest league finish in their history.

42. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Pellegrino has done a fantastic job there. They are on course for the highest league finish in their history.
    Yeah - and look at their stats. 1-2 shots a game - deadly dull no doubt and Pellegrino happy with a 0-0.

He really was an awful, awful manager.

Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    Yeah - and look at their stats. 1-2 shots a game - deadly dull no doubt and Pellegrino happy with a 0-0.

He really was an awful, awful manager.
    To be fair, most clubs would be happy with drawing 1-1 with Real Madrid, especially one as small as Leganés.

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    To be fair, most clubs would be happy with drawing 1-1 with Real Madrid, especially one as small as Leganés.
    Pellegrino was effective at Alaves too.

What didn't make sense was how he was presented to us:

Mauricio believes with the quality we have we can play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game. He will continue to develop and introduce young players whilst building on the core of experience that we have in the squad.
    None of that was true. He's clearly a pragmatic coach who's a bit like a Spanish Gary Rowett (& I don't mean that as a slur).

45. Default Greek giants interested in expensive Southampton flop, first contact made

31 appearances and six goals? The Argentinian Shane Long

47. Default

The problem with this is value. Fans also lack pragmatism and expect much more than what we sell for, not that that is hugely relevant.

So he cost £19m on a 3½ year deal. You can look at things in anyway you want, but I view it that with 2 years left, that's £10.85m worth remaining. Being pragmatic, and accept a loss to shift him on, and maybe accept £8m?

48. Default

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    The problem with this is value. Fans also lack pragmatism and expect much more than what we sell for, not that that is hugely relevant.

So he cost £19m on a 3½ year deal. You can look at things in anyway you want, but I view it that with 2 years left, that's £10.85m worth remaining. Being pragmatic, and accept a loss to shift him on, and maybe accept £8m?
    I always thought the 3.5 year deal seemed really short for a £19m signing.

Has probably done us a favour on the Carrillo front though.

Transfer fee out will probably depend on his wages, can't imagine he's on anymore than 50/55K per week.

You'd probably take £10-£12m for him if possible, but the wheels should be in motion to get rid of him.