Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Feel bad for him. No idea if he's any good, didn't see enough of him here and when he did play it was in a negative, off form side.

The dislike for him from fans seems really over the top. Especially given how abysmal the rest of our strikers and attacking midfielders have also been over far more games.

Far rather keep Carrillo than Long.

You seriously don't understand the dislike? He's our record signing for goodness sake and for the money is now statistically our worst ever value for money signing and possibly the worst prem striker ever on a contribution to cost ratio. Edited by hypochondriac

Bearing in mind nearly all saints fans called before he signed that this guy was not good enough, you have to ask how did we ever get to a point where we were happy to offer 19 million plus wages. Blame Read all you like and rightly so for the one but there must have been others involved. Horrendous decision

You seriously don't understand the dislike? He's our record signing for goodness sake and for the money is now statistically our worst ever value for money signing and possibly the worst prem striker ever on a contribution to cost ratio.

Hardly his fault the club overpaid for him and he wasn't good enough for the PL though. In the games I saw him play he always gave a 100% we've had far more talented players who didn't.

I don't dislike Gudio. I'm more annoyed with the board for getting us in the whole mess last season of which he was just one part of the **** up.

Hardly his fault the club overpaid for him and he wasn't good enough for the PL though. In the games I saw him play he always gave a 100% we've had far more talented players who didn't.

I don't dislike Gudio. I'm more annoyed with the board for getting us in the whole mess last season of which he was just one part of the **** up.

Agree.

Agree totally. Personally I would give him more time this season before bombing him out, but it appears that the decision has been made. I wish him no ill will, few players are going to refuse a shot at playing in the premiere league. Unfortunately for him he joined a team on the down and wasn't able to make any sort of an impact, but I don't think it was through any lack of effort on his part.

Bearing in mind nearly all saints fans called before he signed that this guy was not good enough, you have to ask how did we ever get to a point where we were happy to offer 19 million plus wages. Blame Read all you like and rightly so for the one but there must have been others involved. Horrendous decision

I seriously doubt we paid, or will pay the whole £19m. For starters I’m guessing he hasn’t hit any goal scoring, or appearances benchmarks.

11:27

MORE FROM SOUTHAMPTON…

Southampton are also understood to be happy to listen to offers for winger Sofiane Boufal – another player to miss out on the club’s Far East trip.

We understand a number of clubs have approached Southampton, who will consider letting the Moroccan forward leave either on loan or on a permanent deal.

Boufal joined Claude Puel’s Southampton from Lille in 2016 for a then club record £16m. He failed to feature as they survived the drop with three wins in their last ten games.

FlagShare

LikeReply

Oliver Yew 5ptsmoderatorFeatured

11:26

CARILLO SET FOR SAINTS EXIT

Southampton striker Guido Carillo will leave St Mary’s on loan in the next 24 hours after he was omitted from their pre-season tour of China, Sky Sports News understands.

The Argentinian forward wants to play regularly but does not figure in Mark Hughes’ first team plans and the 27-year old will move to La Liga club Leganes on loan either later today or tomorrow.

Carrillo joined Southampton from Monaco in January, in a £19m club-record deal. However, he failed to score in 10 appearances for manager Mauricio Pellegrino, who prioritised the signing of his fellow Argentine.

3.25 years @ £19.2m is about £6m a season, before wages. We're going to take a big hit on this one, unless he really rips up La Liga.

Yes, appalling signing. But, if true that the donkey is being shipped out on loan, it definitely means a much better target man is coming in to fill his spot in the squad.

Oh wait, Reed is still here. Replace "definitely" with "hopefully". :?

I think Long's wife comes from Berks. I've heard very settled in Wellow and could well veto any move out of the area. Personally I like his effort and pace. I'd take him every day of the week over Redmond, Boufal, JWP etc alongside two or three goalgetters. Against Watford away he put us in a winning position with two searing runs. We just didn't use him enough out wide.

Edited by derry

Has to be a loan. Leganes record transfer fee paid is around £3m........

Imagine we're paying at least 50% of his wages too.

3.25 years @ £19.2m is about £6m a season, before wages. We're going to take a big hit on this one, unless he really rips up La Liga.

We're going to take a big hit on this one then. :)

If you’ve got a player who isn’t good enough to be in the team he has to go. You don’t keep a bad buy just because of what you paid.

Fair comment, but how do we get him to go if he refuses to leave? Tommy Forecast?

Fair comment, but how do we get him to go if he refuses to leave? Tommy Forecast?

The usual way is, unfortunately, to subsidise his wages with another club. Could have to do that until the end date of his Southampton contract. There is a rumour that he may be going to Leganes in Spain, on loan for the whole of next season. CD Leganes is in La Liga, the Primera Division in Spain.

****ing hell. The poor guy started 5 games in a terrible team that couldn't create chances. And in a new country/ league. And yet he's the scapegoat for an entire season? Do me a favour. If he goes, good luck to him. But he wasn't at fault for any of the ****e we had to endure last season.

****ing hell. The poor guy started 5 games in a terrible team that couldn't create chances. And in a new country/ league. And yet he's the scapegoat for an entire season? Do me a favour. If he goes, good luck to him. But he wasn't at fault for any of the ****e we had to endure last season.

^This^

The fault lies with whoever thought 9th place in La Liga meant he could do a job in the Prem, who gave Forster a 5 year deal, who refused to see that the manager was so out of his depth despite being a nice guy until nearly too late, who again fcked up the 3rd transfer window in a row, who thought a reserve Monaco player with an abysmal record would save our season and was worth 19m that alone should see him/them sacked.

Carillo was poor none of the above was his fault he just did what any player would do for a decent wedge.

The football board are responsible.

The fault lies with whoever thought 9th place in La Liga meant he could do a job in the Prem, who gave Forster a 5 year deal, who refused to see that the manager was so out of his depth despite being a nice guy until nearly too late, who again fcked up the 3rd transfer window in a row, who thought a reserve Monaco player with an abysmal record would save our season and was worth 19m that alone should see him/them sacked.

Carillo was poor none of the above was his fault he just did what any player would do for a decent wedge.

The football board are responsible.

That is why they would not have a fans forum.

I work with a number of Reading fans here in the office. They would love him back, but they are potless. They just choked on 500k for a striker, Mark someone.

I remember us baulking at the £500k Reading wanted for Antonio way back when.

Official now - on OS - 1 year loan.

Probably the 1st of many loans! Good to shift him out. Not convinced it saves us any money as I'm assuming we're paying the majority of his wages still.

Will be interesting to see how he does out there though.

lets just hope the £19m was broken down in all sorts of milestone instalments that were no where near being met?

Was largely reported to be £19.2m paid in 2 installments.

Doesn't look like one of those £15m guaranteed with £4.2m subject to X,Y,Z sadly.

I remember us baulking at the £500k Reading wanted for Antonio way back when.

I thought it was more a case of he came to us on loan as he wasn’t getting or looking likely to get game time at Reading, he was also out of contract at the end of the season. He came to us and showed what he was capable of Reading went “oh hello he’s better than we thought” said no to our approach and gave him a sparkly new contract with Championship looking more attractive than League 1 - pretty sure I heard somewhere that Saints weren’t going to dance to Readings tune setting a blueprint for every other team we were going to do business with.

Whats funny is, before January occurred nearly a huge majority of Saints fans said we needed a target man / focal point striker up front.

Don't we still need one?

I'd like us to sign one Gudio sadly wasn't a very good one. Some of our best football in recent years was played with a proper CF leading the line in Lambert or Pelle. I think we have missed that the last two seasons especially as Fullbacks/wingbacks crossing into the box is such a big part of our game.

I thought it was more a case of he came to us on loan as he wasn’t getting or looking likely to get game time at Reading, he was also out of contract at the end of the season. He came to us and showed what he was capable of Reading went “oh hello he’s better than we thought” said no to our approach and gave him a sparkly new contract with Championship looking more attractive than League 1 - pretty sure I heard somewhere that Saints weren’t going to dance to Readings tune setting a blueprint for every other team we were going to do business with.

Sounds about right. Under Cortese we were no push overs

I'd like us to sign one Gudio sadly wasn't a very good one. Some of our best football in recent years was played with a proper CF leading the line in Lambert or Pelle. I think we have missed that the last two seasons especially as Fullbacks/wingbacks crossing into the box is such a big part of our game.
if we play 3 at back need one to hold and link it Pelle was great at that.

We do need one just one better than Carillo my anger isnt at him but the clueless numpties that sanctioned the deal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

if we play 3 at back need one to hold and link it Pelle was great at that.

We do need one just one better than Carillo my anger isnt at him but the clueless numpties that sanctioned the deal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fair comment because the club still hasn't got its £19m back. Even if the loan is saving all or some of Carrillo's wages, that transfer fee would be hugely useful now.

We will end up loaning him out for the next 3 years whilet we pay Monaco for him.

No chance Leganes are paying all his wages either.

Hopefully this entire fiasco was the wake up call they needed.

Imagine if we had got relegated and were lumbered with 3 years of Carillo, a couple of years of Clasie and Long and Austin on more than 50k a week. Scary.