Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

19m world have paid MoPe to **** off and ruin something else and for the next guy for a couple of years.

What a waste.

This! What exactly do fat les & co see in mp that no one else on the planet does?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

i told you all about his worth to the club as early as watford fa cup tie albeit 10 or so minutes..................an expensive poor charlie austin,and as per usual the familiar posters on here thought i was being harsh shall we say.Um lets see....errrr. Nope ill stick with my call .

Club record signing or just bad management by MP? whatever the answer we just cant seem to buy luck at the moment .Maybe 4-4-2 rather than this drivel we are served up as supporters.

We are just treading water with this clown in charge..........but give him januarys tranfere budget and we just get a club record signing who no one really had heard of before and ............yeah right what else is there to offer?

A target man that’s never won a header.
a fraction harsh, has won 40% of headers. Austin 44%. Thought he won quite a few yesterday, but importantly completely missed the headed chance in the first half from a decent Cedric cross from the byeline. I was square on and only seen it once, but despite the defender in front missing it, which perhaps surprised him, I thought he should have got his head on it and if he had he would probably have scored.

Overall I thought his link up play over the last two games has been ok, but he looks a little jack of all trades, master of none at this point. Is there a chance that all that time on the Monico bench has made him rusty, because he doesn't look like he is going to score at the moment. I guess it's early days, but boy does he and we need a goal soon.

Edited by Chez

The poor bloke has to stand up top with no one around him for 90 minutes.

He’s not the best, in fact he’s pretty average, but he’s miles better than playing long/gabbi as a lone striker and he has improved us.

Had Austin been fit I suspect we’d have picked up 2 or 3 more wins than we currently have.

The poor bloke has to stand up top with no one around him for 90 minutes.

He’s not the best, in fact he’s pretty average, but he’s miles better than playing long/gabbi as a lone striker and he has improved us.

Had Austin been fit I suspect we’d have picked up 2 or 3 more wins than we currently have.

Spot on.

We’ve had a slightly better shape since he’s come in. The problem is the number 10 role . I’m convinced away from home that Long could play that role as Okazaki did for Leicester, as he’s quick and works hard enough to fill in the midfield when we’re defending. For all his silky touches, occasional assist and decent passes , Tadic doesn’t do enough for me in that role. I noticed Sims dropped in there for a couple of minutes yesterday, whether by design or because Tadic had found himself on the wing I don’t know, but a 3 of Tadic, Sims, Boufal/Redmond switching around as we did under Poch May work at home. People need to remember Pelle had Mane buzzing around him. As well as Sims played, Mane probably would have buried the 2 one on ones he had yesterday. One he delayed his shot and got caught , the second he took too wide. Mane buries them, we win 2-0 and every bodies happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Likewise many very good players all season.

People still talk up how good you need to be to be a premier league striker, but I don't see it. Glenn Murray is garbage, yet he's doing a good job. Vokes is a limited player but is going fine, Barnes is dross and gets games, Shane Long has a joke most the time, yet has played in this league for ages.

I've no idea if Carrillo is any use or not, but would like to see him, Gabbiadini and even Gallagher up front for a saints team that actually attacks. Playing the target man then dropping JWP sums up Pellegrino's insight on the game sadly.

you want to play all three of those centre forwards at the same time?

Not sure I understand your comment about JWP. Is it the lack of quality of crossing from Tadic, Redmond, Cedric and Bartrand?

For those in this thread that think Carrillo is rubbish in the air...

- Guido Carrillo is averaging winning 6.4 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Shane Long is averaging winning 2.2 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Charlie Austin is averaging winning 1.6 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Manolo Gabbiadini is averaging winning 0.5 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Graziano Pelle averaged winning 3.7 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2015/16

- Rickie Lambert averaged winning 1.8 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2013/14

Seen nothing to change this assessment so far.

You’ve never been a good judge and so I’m sure we can pass on this one.

I will grant you he is not likely to have Liverpool banging on the door for him, but he does have a bit about him

You’ve never been a good judge and so I’m sure we can pass on this one.

I will grant you he is not likely to have Liverpool banging on the door for him, but he does have a bit about him

You haven't exactly been famed for your foresight. I'm happy with the judgement of my own eyes after watching every game he's been involved in so far. He doesn't do nearly enough to justify his inclusion as the lone striker. We bought him because there were very few or none who were happy to join us.

He doesn't do nearly enough to justify his inclusion as the lone striker.

As post 219 in this thread shows, he is doing significantly better than any of our other current striker options (plus Lambert and Pelle) at winning aerial duels. Problem is Pellegrino sets up with him often isolated from supporting players to benefit from his hold up play and flicks ons/knockdowns.

- Guido Carrillo is averaging winning 6.4 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Shane Long is averaging winning 2.2 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Charlie Austin is averaging winning 1.6 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Manolo Gabbiadini is averaging winning 0.5 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Graziano Pelle averaged winning 3.7 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2015/16

- Rickie Lambert averaged winning 1.8 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2013/14

Meaningless ****e and badly thought-out. Has Glasgow got your login?

Meaningless ****e and badly thought-out.

Of course it has potential flaws as it is hard to give statistics for how good the resulting flick on was. But I've seen Saints fans claim he wins 'nothing in the air'... which is clearly nonsense.

Has Glasgow got your login?

I'm Tyler Durden!

double-personality-day-night-fight-club-pencil-drawing.gif

I know many won't but I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for him. He's got the record signing tag, and being the only player we bothered to sign in January he's basically been given the task of transforming our season on his own. If we do go down and he fails to score you can well imagine he will start getting dogs abuse from fans :(

The way we play he is isolated. give him a partner, Gabbiadini or Austin and go with two up front plus Sims and one other from Long, Redmond, Boufal and Tadic on the left. It's more about how we play than how bad he is.

I know many won't but I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for him. He's got the record signing tag, and being the only player we bothered to sign in January he's basically been given the task of transforming our season on his own. If we do go down and he fails to score you can well imagine he will start getting dogs abuse from fans :(

I agree it's not his fault we spunked up £19m for him. He seems a decent enough player but buying someone like him who they admitted would take time to settle was very poor management especially when we let someone go out on loan at the beginning of the season who would have done a better job.

Zero context, similar stat was used on the UEFA A licence discussion. The aeriel duel won results in the first contact from the player - every header or touch could still go out of play or to the opponent.

Zero context, similar stat was used on the UEFA A licence discussion. The aeriel duel won results in the first contact from the player - every header or touch could still go out of play or to the opponent.

Surely the same is true of most bare statistics, e.g pass completion which tells us nothing about quality of pass. That doesn’t alter the fact that he compares favourably with peers in winning aerial duels.

So that means as long as he gets the first touch, however contested and uncontrolled, it counts as an aerial duel won? Must admit I haven’t seen him win many clean headers.

So that means as long as he gets the first touch, however contested and uncontrolled, it counts as an aerial duel won? Must admit I haven’t seen him win many clean headers.

Interesting that that's how it's measured, certainly means it's not a reliable stat. However, what would be the best way to measure it? Aerial duels which have gone to a teammate? Is that not as much about the players around them?

I think, as Graffito alludes to, although the exact stat is unrealiable, there will probably be a strong positive correlation between duels won and possession retained through aerial duels. Would you agree? Trying to think of a scenario where a striker could be a 'nuisance' to defenders but never actually contribute, compared to a player being generally weak but effective on the rare occasions he gets to the ball first. Perhaps that would be the distinction (for Football Manager players) between 'Jumping' and 'Heading'. But they are often complementary.

Surely the same is true of most bare statistics, e.g pass completion which tells us nothing about quality of pass. That doesn’t alter the fact that he compares favourably with peers in winning aerial duels.

Well no because pass completion means the pass has to be completed do its a successfully pass. Theoretically someone could have a lower headers won record but the headers could actually end up somewhere useful.

True. Which is why it should be contextualised; off you go MLG show your stats nerd (proper stats, not just quoting numbers and pretending to make an argument as modern 'maths' and so on now is considered) side and let's see how good he is.

I'll raise you the fact that he hardly ever plays and that, like someone else said about him, what he looks like is someone who might score when the oppostion have forgotten about him and he has a gilt-edged chance i.e. SL but probably actually worse overall - how many chances for himself does he create? We all recognise the manager is averse to going beyond the first two thirds of the pitch so any 'forward play' for us with this clown is to pass it back to a defender from the edge of their area.