Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

The club didn't want to admit their mistake so rather than sack him, they spent the most in our history on a failure.

In hindsight, the whole situation was bizarre to put it politely. A manager who was obviously chronically out of his depth gets backed with a record signing who in due course gets shipped out on loan with scarcely chance to prove himself

This is how I see it, without knowing any other facts other than what we can all see from the way we played and the results. You've got to look at Palace and see how decisive they were with FdB. 4 league games, where the players didn't buy into his methods, and he was gone. I suppose one could look at it and think it was the "honourable" thing to do to support the manager, but of course that was plainly the wrong thing.

But I do think that we were in a somewhat different situation than Palace. The owner who was in place when he was appointed didn't have a huge amount of interest in anything other than selling the club. I know that it is easy to blame Reed for all the ills that have recently happened, but I very much suspect (again without knowing anything that went on behind the scenes) that he had a hand tied behind his back and was told to work within a very strict budget. I presume Pellegrino was a cheap option.

I don’t know whether Reed had his hands tied or not but there was definitely a massive sense of drift. It took forever for the club to make a decision on Puel’s sacking, and our transfer activity was left very late and was clearly not enough. It did feel like everything was put on the back-burner until the ownership was resolved.

Given the takeover was complete before the season started that doesn’t explain why we took quite so long to sack Pellegrino though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In hindsight, the whole situation was bizarre to put it politely. A manager who was obviously chronically out of his depth gets backed with a record signing who in due course gets shipped out on loan with scarcely chance to prove himself

I would say that the donkey proved himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just scored a penalty in the Bernabeu to draw Leganes level at 1-1 with Real Madrid. Charlie Austin out :lol: . Bale got the opener.

Hope he keeps it up. Seemed a decent lad and not his fault Les screwed up abysmally with Pellegrino (again). Might enhance the chance of at least recouping a bit of the money we paid.

I'm sure Pellegrino is a perfectly good manager. Sometimes the glove just doesn't fit, and it didn't with us. I am not sure you would find anyone saying we would have survived last season with him. Carrillo is interesting. Maybe after he bangs in 20 goals this season, he can come and do a job for us.