Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

I’m sure he got paid handsomely but I wouldn’t wish his arrival on any new player. The most negative point in our recent history and a complete unknown quantity in himself, was up against it from day one. Really wish him all the best, whether it’s with us or not.

Indeed. Him doing well certainly is a win-win as he does his reputation no harm at all.

Anyone who saw him on the pitch knows. Didn’t take a football genius to see that he’s not up to it.
I saw him a couple of times. Don't think he did anything particularly wrong, just was playing in a struggling team. Worked hard in the games I saw and decent assist at west brom as well.

Very easy to write a guy off after seven games, but then again I'm not a football genius. (there are a fair few on this board though, allegedly).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Should he be given another chance under NewRalph?

Ralph definitely needs to look at him and assess whether he could be up to PL standard, personally I think it's too early to write him off and considering he's costing us a lot of money whether he's playing for us or somebody else it's a risk worth taking !

Ps. with Austin, Long etc.. currently getting games, he doesn't have too much to live up to !!

• 3 months later...

Oops, sorry, this is the one

Damn it that's the sort of Lambert like, powering header, at the back post type goal I was hoping he was going to score for us when we signed him.

I hope Ralph gives all the loanees the once over, with a clean slate, in pre-season (well maybe not Hoedt). I can't see us spending much in the summer( more likely a summer squad clear out I reckon). So if he can turn any of that out of favour lot into a useful player more power to him.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

One of the comments: "Delighted for Mauricio Pellegrino who was never given a proper chance at southamton and was badly let down by the players indeed they have not improved since Mauricio is a brilliant manager and leganes fc are lucky to have him". Must be a Portsmouth fan...

6 goals in 25 games this season. He was never good enough for us and never will be.

Should be sold in the summer, we will have to take a loss but it’s more deadwood off the wage bill.

But that’s still better than Long and Austin. We need to shift them as priority number one, if we possibly can. I’d be quite happy for Ralph to have a pre-season with Carrillo then make a call.

Ings, Carrillo, Obafemi, Redmond - that’s a nice mix of attributes. The issue here is that Ings and Obafemi seem to be injured all the time and you question the ability of the ones, other than Ings, to regularly finish with composure.

One of the comments: "Delighted for Mauricio Pellegrino who was never given a proper chance at southamton and was badly let down by the players indeed they have not improved since Mauricio is a brilliant manager and leganes fc are lucky to have him". Must be a Portsmouth fan...

Wow, what utter nonsense. If anything he was given too much time. I'd have fired him the minute we scraped a draw at home against a newly promoted team and he said, "at this stage a draw is as good as a win" or something to that effect.

But that’s still better than Long and Austin. We need to shift them as priority number one, if we possibly can. I’d be quite happy for Ralph to have a pre-season with Carrillo then make a call.

Ings, Carrillo, Obafemi, Redmond - that’s a nice mix of attributes. The issue here is that Ings and Obafemi seem to be injured all the time and you question the ability of the ones, other than Ings, to regularly finish with composure.

That’s not a nice mix of attributes, they would be a terrible collection of strikers. Redmond is decent but not a striker. That basically leaves us with Carrillo and two cripples, one of whom us only made a handful of senior appearance anyway.

If that’s what we end up with next season, I’ll be p*ssed off. We need to buy two decent strikers, not zero.

That’s not a nice mix of attributes, they would be a terrible collection of strikers. Redmond is decent but not a striker. That basically leaves us with Carrillo and two cripples, one of whom us only made a handful of senior appearance anyway.

If that’s what we end up with next season, I’ll be p*ssed off. We need to buy two decent strikers, not zero.

Yep 2 new strikers, the rest can compete for places on the bench.

Wow, what utter nonsense. If anything he was given too much time. I'd have fired him the minute we scraped a draw at home against a newly promoted team and he said, "at this stage a draw is as good as a win" or something to that effect.

The worst moment for me was going 1-0 up against Brighton and then sitting deep and letting them have the ball. If Pellegrino had shown even an ounce of courage and had us push up onto them, we'd have turned them over easily. Back then Brighton had no pace in the team and couldn't have got in behind us. As it was, we stayed narrow and just kept allowing them to ping crosses in until they inevitably scored. Woeful mismanagement of the situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Pellegrino has done a fantastic job there. They are on course for the highest league finish in their history.

Yeah - and look at their stats. 1-2 shots a game - deadly dull no doubt and Pellegrino happy with a 0-0.

He really was an awful, awful manager.

To be fair, most clubs would be happy with drawing 1-1 with Real Madrid, especially one as small as Leganés.

Pellegrino was effective at Alaves too.

What didn't make sense was how he was presented to us:

Mauricio believes with the quality we have we can play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game. He will continue to develop and introduce young players whilst building on the core of experience that we have in the squad.

None of that was true. He's clearly a pragmatic coach who's a bit like a Spanish Gary Rowett (& I don't mean that as a slur).

• 5 weeks later...

The problem with this is value. Fans also lack pragmatism and expect much more than what we sell for, not that that is hugely relevant.

So he cost £19m on a 3½ year deal. You can look at things in anyway you want, but I view it that with 2 years left, that's £10.85m worth remaining. Being pragmatic, and accept a loss to shift him on, and maybe accept £8m?

The problem with this is value. Fans also lack pragmatism and expect much more than what we sell for, not that that is hugely relevant.

So he cost £19m on a 3½ year deal. You can look at things in anyway you want, but I view it that with 2 years left, that's £10.85m worth remaining. Being pragmatic, and accept a loss to shift him on, and maybe accept £8m?

I always thought the 3.5 year deal seemed really short for a £19m signing.

Has probably done us a favour on the Carrillo front though.

not sure Saints fans expect to get anything for him at all. If we sold him this summer for £5m, I doubt anyone would moan that it wasn't enough. We'd moan about the waste, not the current value.

We'll probably swap him for one of their Moroccan Norwegians. We're rumoured to be interested in Omar Elabdellaoui. The other one, Tarik Elyounoussi, has been on loan to Qarabağ, so they might try to offload him onto us as well.

Better idea. If they are collecting Moroccan Norwegians we've got one they could add to complete the set. At a price of course.

The skeptic in me thinks they are probably only interested in paying a loan fee

I'm not sure they could afford one. They're a Greek league team. They get most of their players on free transfers or for a few hundred thousand. The biggest fee they paid for a player last year was 2 mill.

• 2 weeks later...
Its all mumbo jumbo, What does it all mean?

It says that Boca has their eyes on Guido after spending a year on loan at Leganes, that he is our most expensive signing and that he lost his place towards the end of the season with Leganes.

He is at the moment on holiday in Ibiza with friends including Radamel Falcao

Its all mumbo jumbo, What does it all mean?

Boca Juniors sent scouts, but he is too expensive.

Looking at their record spend... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/club-atletico-boca-juniors/transferrekorde/verein/189 .. they're not going to make a proper bid. However, if we can get £10m for him, I'd take it. Signed for €20m on 3.5 years and 2 years remaining, which is a tad under €11.5m (or £10m ish). TBH I would let him go for £8m and cut our losses putting it down to a hugely expensive error in letting the ex manager sign him.

But maybe the lure of Boca will overcome the loss in wages, so who knows, maybe it will work.

Boca Juniors sent scouts, but he is too expensive.

Looking at their record spend... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/club-atletico-boca-juniors/transferrekorde/verein/189 .. they're not going to make a proper bid. However, if we can get £10m for him, I'd take it. Signed for €20m on 3.5 years and 2 years remaining, which is a tad under €11.5m (or £10m ish). TBH I would let him go for £8m and cut our losses putting it down to a hugely expensive error in letting the ex manager sign him.

But maybe the lure of Boca will overcome the loss in wages, so who knows, maybe it will work.

Didn't Krueger say back in January that Carrillo was one of the players that Ralph would be defiantley taking a look at in pre-season.

• 3 weeks later...

Un-surprising news from Spain -- Nobody want to pay any money for Carrillo.

It’s not too unkind to say Guido Carrillo may go down as one of Southampton’s worst signings of recent years.

The Premier League club signed the striker from AS Monaco in the 2018 winter transfer window. They did so to please then manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

Monaco must have thought their luck had come in when Southampton paid around €20m for the player, despite his scoring record not being at all impressive with the French principality club.

Things didn’t improve with the Saints and when Pellegrino went it was only a matter of time before Carrillo followed him. That he did, literally.

With the manager taking over at Leganes, the Spanish club loaned the Argentine for last season. He played 33 matches and scored six goals.

AS report Leganes have asked Southampton for another loan, but there’s some competition for the player. Other La Liga clubs are keen, and Boca Juniors have also been linked, so there could be a battle ahead.

A permanent transfer is ‘almost discarded’ by Leganes.

Southampton would surely want to see the back of their player completely, if they send him on loan for a season he’ll return being 29 years of age and with a year of contract left… not the nest bargaining position.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-ask-southampton-another-year-loan-striker-battle-ahead/