Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Imagine the moaning if we didn't but him after we were linked with him, the football elite on here would have elevated him to a player we should not had let go, people would have been saying Les should have thrown some money at it etc. We get him in after being forced to throw some money at it and now people are moaning we paid too much, Les had his pants taken down whah whah whah. So many contrarians and wannabe contrarians on this forum.

We also have the classic he would be ok if we paid £5m for him, what the **** is that all about. So you think he is not good enough but you would be ok with him bringing his 'limited abilities' to the squad if he was cheaper. Makes no sense.

Only time will tell if he is good enough, three games isn't enough.

Well I wouldn't have, just like I didn't want us to sign Sturridge before and after WBA signed him. And I wanted us to sign Promes before and after we didn't. It's pretty easy to hold a consistent position to be honest.

All I could see was a player with no record of holding down a place in the team or scoring any goals. Just weird statto heads trying to pretend that, y'know, if you carry the one and multiply it by all games ever played he's actually Eusebio.

Anyway the early signs not great and we're already giving him pats on the head and maybe he'll come good like he's some kid from the reserves not the man we've paid more for than any other player.

Another triumph just like our other recent record signings.

Well I wouldn't have, just like I didn't want us to sign Sturridge before and after WBA signed him. And I wanted us to sign Promes before and after we didn't. It's pretty easy to hold a consistent position to be honest.

All I could see was a player with no record of holding down a place in the team or scoring any goals. Just weird statto heads trying to pretend that, y'know, if you carry the one and multiply it by all games ever played he's actually Eusebio.

Anyway the early signs not great and we're already giving him pats on the head and maybe he'll come good like he's some kid from the reserves not the man we've paid more for than any other player.

Another triumph just like our other recent record signings.

lol. Well put.

someone called his assist for tadic "amazing" or something is equal measure.

He just looks very average and will be out of the side the moment Austin is match fit

Seems like the main positive is that he “gives us a focal point”, “tries hard” and “puts himself about”.

Nothing wrong with those traits. But you do have to hope for a bit more than that from a £19m striker. It’s still early days of course, but equally we are not in a position where we can wait months for him to find his feet.

I think his price is more a reflection of the market and our puss-poor position but as ever you hope that the negativity on this board won't impact wider perceptions. He doesn't set the pulse racing, to be sure, but he's doing some of the basics right and hopefully as he gets up to speed he'll start to make an impact.

He took two players with him for Hoedt's opening goal and he made the assist for Tadic when I thought the defender had it covered and didn't think he had the speed to get it, and he also helped the defence from the front with his closing down. Given that West Brom just hoofed it forward unceremoniously there was not much he could achieve there.

He hasn't got much time this season to make a difference, but as ever it's the usual suspects who don't even want to give him a chance.

I know we couldn't afford his wages, and that he wouldnt want to play for us...but Giroud cost less that Carillo!

Carillo is 26 and Giroud 30 hence the difference in value, but regardless 19m for Monaco's back up striker is expensive.

But Monaco have a history of pulling other club s pants down for players...we re not the first and won t be the last.

Seems like the main positive is that he “gives us a focal point”, “tries hard” and “puts himself about”.

Nothing wrong with those traits. But you do have to hope for a bit more than that from a £19m striker. It’s still early days of course, but equally we are not in a position where we can wait months for him to find his feet.

You could buy a player from the lower English leagues for a fraction of that sum who could provide those traits. So you would hope for far more more a multi million pound signing.

He's the same now as he's been his whole career, except he's now playing in a much harder league. A leopard doesn't change its spots. He was never more than a mediocre striker in either the Argentine and French leagues, which is why he was not a regular first teamer, a prolific goal scorer or ever considered good enough for an international cap at any level. When we signed him, we all knew that. He'll do his best but he won't score many goals. He's never going to be a regular goal scorer like Austin, Pelle or Lambert. I predict he will average 4 goals per season at this level, and hopefully a couple of them before the end of this season. The glass half full fans will praise him every time he touches the ball and the glass half empty fans will criticise him for all the times he doesn't, a bit like Clasie when he was here.

All those saying the manager's tactics are responsible for him not scoring goals, seem to forget that Charlie Austin had no problem scoring for the same manager with the same tactics in the same team.

Has he missed any sitters yet, has he even missed any that maybe he should have done better, because I can’t remember any. Perhaps one of the experts could expand their scouting report a bit further than, he’s Shiite , he’s always been Shiite , Monaco pulled our pants down type of thing. What is it that you’ve seen that draws the conclusion that he won’t score, is he not getting into to scoring positions for our crack assist squad to pick him out, is he missing chances he should bury, maybe he’s receiving the ball in the wrong areas, or receiving it too square on, is he not finding space, what is it. I’m genuinely interested in them sharing their knowledge, because all I can see is a tidy player, working hard who hasn’t had a sniff of goal or been given any decent service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I imagine it's pretty hard to look impressive as a lone striker in our side.

Given that he's adapting as a January signing (which can't be easy) - I think that in games he's featured:

- Lost 1

- Drawn 1

- Won 3

Not too bad considering. If you can't score, influence the game.

I've been mega-grumpy about us lately, but I don't think he deserves to be condemned.

Has he missed any sitters yet, has he even missed any that maybe he should have done better, because I can’t remember any. Perhaps one of the experts could expand their scouting report a bit further than, he’s Shiite , he’s always been Shiite , Monaco pulled our pants down type of thing. What is it that you’ve seen that draws the conclusion that he won’t score, is he not getting into to scoring positions for our crack assist squad to pick him out, is he missing chances he should bury, maybe he’s receiving the ball in the wrong areas, or receiving it too square on, is he not finding space, what is it. I’m genuinely interested in them sharing their knowledge, because all I can see is a tidy player, working hard who hasn’t had a sniff of goal or been given any decent service.

The main reason is lack of pace. He is nowhere near as fast as Austin. He also lacks the physical and mental toughness - that bit of aggression Austin has- which you need to intimidate Premier League defenders. His ball acontrol and passing ability are not awful, but nothing special. I hope that helps you, Duckhunter.

or ever considered good enough for an international cap at any level.

God he must be rubbish. Argentina are useless up front and he can’t get a sniff. They’ve only got Agüero, Messi, Higuaín Dybala. God I bet they wish Brett Ormerod was an Argie, he’d get a game ahead of that lot .

The main reason is lack of pace. He is nowhere near as fast as Austin. He also lacks the physical and mental toughness - that bit of aggression Austin has- which you need to intimidate Premier League defenders. His ball acontrol and passing ability are not awful, but nothing special. I hope that helps you, Duckhunter.
on the totally football show and football weekly podcast, French journos (one being a Monaco fan) stated that he is a terrible player and way below the level to make a difference this season with us and to have any impact in the prem.... for anything close to the fee we met.

add that to his record through his career and those damming comments are backed up

I hope they are wrong. I hope he is a hit. we kind of need him to be this season, let alone the coming years

on the totally football show and football weekly podcast, French journos (one being a Monaco fan) stated that he is a terrible player and way below the level to make a difference this season with us and to have any impact in the prem.... for anything close to the fee we met.

I wouldn’t take your opinions from a podcast if I was you, Gab Marcotti predicted Lamina would be a flop on The Game podcast.

Why don’t you give us your opinions. From what you’ve seen so far what makes you think he’ll be a flop.

God, from his couple of performances you can see he lacks mental toughness. Wow, you really are an expert aren’t you. Makes our two wins away at West Brom even better, we managed to grind out those results with a flake up front. Mind you Dawson, McAuley, Evans and Hegazi are pretty soft, not much mental toughness needed to play upfront alone against those fairies

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

God, from his couple of performances you can see he lacks mental toughness. Wow, you really are an expert aren’t you. Makes our two wins away at West Brom even better, we managed to grind out those results with a flake up front. Mind you Dawson, McAuley, Evans and Hegazi are pretty soft, not much mental toughness needed to play upfront alone against those fairies

The one thing I have seen IS mental toughness. Playing up there on own no support would be easy to hide or give up ...he hasn't so far.

Good squad player but we overpaid but wanted to be seen supporting the manager despite what we may think of him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The one thing I have seen IS mental toughness. Playing up there on own no support would be easy to hide or give up ...he hasn't so far.

Good squad player but we overpaid but wanted to be seen supporting the manager despite what we may think of him.

Spot on.

Been here five minutes and already he is a waste of money. Not learnt anything from writing off Mane too early then?
It was a waste of money....we overpaid because Monaco held all the cards. He isnt a 20m player but thats what we had to pay to get what the manager wanted.

He is decent squad player and will do a job until Austin is back.

A different option to what we had.

Overpriced, mediocre player

I think he was a panic buy and they knew we had money to spend.

It’s about time we bought a striker that gets off to a flying start instead of one that is unfit, suffering from no confidence, struggling to adapt etc.

Gabbiadini?

It’s about time we bought a striker that gets off to a flying start instead of one that is unfit, suffering from no confidence, struggling to adapt etc.

Yes, agreed. We've brought so many strikers since Gabbi scored 6 in his first 4. Before that Austin took ages to get off the mark, I remember thinking during those 7 long minutes , is he ever going to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a waste of money....we overpaid because Monaco held all the cards. He isnt a 20m player but thats what we had to pay to get what the manager wanted.

He is decent squad player and will do a job until Austin is back.

A different option to what we had.

If Carrillo isn't a £19.2m (guess at £60k p/w) target-man central striker... who would you suggest is?

Edited by Matthew Le God

You could buy a player from the lower English leagues for a fraction of that sum who could provide those traits. So you would hope for far more more a multi million pound signing.

Exactly what I have been saying!

Who? Because a decent season in the Championship sees strikers valued at £15m+.

I bet you lads were the ones who thought we got rid of Billy Sharp without giving him a chance?

Britt Assombalonga cost £15m so not sure what you really expect us to find in the Championship or L1 that is cheap and anywhere near good enough?

To me Carrillo is what I expected from watching a lot of YT videos. Adds a bit of presence and physicality that has already helped at set plays, but is essentially a penalty area striker.

I will judge him once we have created a few clear chances for him, the kind Long fluffs on a regular basis before he is clapped off after yet another blank.

Yes, agreed. We've brought so many strikers since Gabbi scored 6 in his first 4. Before that Austin took ages to get off the mark, I remember thinking during those 7 long minutes , is he ever going to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: People are teeing them up for you left, right and centre on this thread

lol. Well put.

someone called his assist for tadic "amazing" or something is equal measure.

He just looks very average and will be out of the side the moment Austin is match fit

Only if he's playing well. If not, he'll probably cement a spot and Austin will have to warm the bench.

Don't forget who our manager is.

We have too many strikers who cannot score, yet we bought another one as Reed still believes that he can unearth another mane or VDD which was cheap and make profit from Liverpool after one or two years. But we got another Redmond or Boufal.

All we need to to do is to bring Yoshida upfront and goals will come.

Way too early to judge him. Moving in the winter window is always tough as players have to hit the ground running.

That said I still find it a really odd transfer. If we wanted that type of player why not hold onto Jay Rod or give Sam a chance?

Who knows he may turn out to be a quality player and £20m for someone who will bang in goals in the PL will be seen as a bargain.

But we really needed pace and skill in our build up play and have for a very long time now and he won't change that. You can't blame the lad for the money we spent on him as he has nothing to do with it. That boils down to whoever the person is who negotiates for players to come in.

Austin is still, by a long way, our best CF. From the very little we've seen of him, Guido looks like a poor mans version of Austin, but one that is less injury prone and therefore probably more reliable. That being said, in Austin's absence he is exactly what we need.

I don't think, as of yet, there is anything to suggest that he is worth anything near £20m, but that's the price you pay when you sell a £75m asset before the window has even opened.

Personally, after it was clear we couldn't get Giroud, I would have loved Batshuayi (if realistic or not, I don't know).

Austin is still, by a long way, our best CF. From the very little we've seen of him, Guido looks like a poor mans version of Austin, but one that is less injury prone and therefore probably more reliable. That being said, in Austin's absence he is exactly what we need.

I don't think, as of yet, there is anything to suggest that he is worth anything near £20m, but that's the price you pay when you sell a £75m asset before the window has even opened.

Personally, after it was clear we couldn't get Giroud, I would have loved Batshuayi (if realistic or not, I don't know).

oh yes you do.

The boy's on a hiding to nothing with our fans. Bought for a record fee, to be thrust up front in a non-attacking team, and isolated for the majority of each match. Yet the boo boys are out in force!

I'd be well happy if he prooves me wrong he won't but I wish he would, he is a decent sized lump with an average record.