Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

He's not "bloody hopeless". He was tidy , brave and held the ball up pretty well yesterday. He suffers because he hasn't got the pace to work the channels or get in behind and he's not quite used to the physical nature of the league. Arsenal signed a 50 million player from France and he's struggling, it does happen. Anyone would struggle up front alone in our side at the moment. To say he "lacks a football brain" says more about you and your inflated opinion of your football knowledge than his brain. Such a lazy, unmeasurable criticism . I've seen nothing to suggest he's any more lacking in that department than any other of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn’t have a football brain I’m afraid. Just never in the right place, never moving to lose his marker and make himself available and not able to make chances for himself or anyone else. Doesn’t even look anything like a Premiership footballer....

Gabbiadini is on the move all the time and can score a goal by making a chance when one doesn’t exist. I think Carillo needs everything on a plate but even then he would probably not be in the right place. Gabbiadini is such a more occomplished player...

He doesn’t have a football brain I’m afraid. Just never in the right place, never moving to lose his marker and make himself available and not able to make chances for himself or anyone else. Doesn’t even look anything like a Premiership footballer....

Gabbiadini is on the move all the time and can score a goal by making a chance when one doesn’t exist. I think Carillo needs everything on a plate but even then he would probably not be in the right place. Gabbiadini is such a more occomplished player...

How many times have you actually watched Carrillo play live and focussed only on his movement rather than hide behind vague generalisations and randomly assembled Andy Townsendisms.

Edited by shurlock

He's not "bloody hopeless". He was tidy , brave and held the ball up pretty well yesterday. He suffers because he hasn't got the pace to work the channels or get in behind and he's not quite used to the physical nature of the league. Arsenal signed a 50 million player from France and he's struggling, it does happen. Anyone would struggle up front alone in our side at the moment. To say he "lacks a football brain" says more about you and your inflated opinion of your football knowledge than his brain. Such a lazy, unmeasurable criticism . I've seen nothing to suggest he's any more lacking in that department than any other of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are so rude...

Anyway - touché

I’m even sure you were at Newcastle after your over generous assessment of his performance...

Anyway as someone else said we won’t be relegated because of Carillo...

I don’t blame the players overall - For the complete mess we are in ...

If we'd spent fortunes on overpriced and older premier league players I'd agree. Couldn't be more different. We sign players we hope are on the way up in the their careers and have the best ahead of them. Won't be right every time, but we've done the same since promotion and I'm glad we did it that way. Gave us Wanyama, Mane, Tadic, Pelle, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Bertrand, Cedric, Romeu and others who've done really well for the club.

This used to be true and coincided with our successful years. Since Summer 2016 we've signed players on the way down that couldn't lock down starting spots at their last club. World of difference.

How many times have you actually watched Carrillo play live and focussed only on his movement rather than hide behind vague generalisations and randomly assembled Andy Townsendisms.

so your ok with the continued goaless streak then i presume?.............im not worth 20 million not at my age nearly 58,but ill give it my best shot, hell ill even take a pay cut or as i work in retail a huge pay rise.

Doesn’t make chances? Who was that who headed the ball back for the wonderful football brained Gabbi at Burnley?

Gabbi has looked as ineffective under this manager, isolated up front, he’d have struggled playing alone yesterday every bit as much as Carrillo did.

Carrillo was one of the only ones who did his best yesterday, his best is pretty average, but he gave his all. To decide he doesn’t look like a premiership footballer after a dozen games,playing alone in a struggling side lacking confidence, under a poor manager is just nonsense. You can’t have seen enough of him to make that judgement, as he hasn’t played enough games or played for a half competent manager. He may turn out to be a dud, as Gaston or Juanmi were, then you can pat yourself on the back safe in the knowledge that you’re such a great judge of a player. You can even see which ones lack a “football brain”.

On the playing side the issue isn’t him, the issue is international players giving half arsed arrogant performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, considering Pellegrino has finally been sacked how do we treat Carrillo?

I don't doubt the move has been beneficial to him financially but him being Pellegrino's desperate stab at getting goals / his love child / a pretty average player is probably going to doom him at Saints. Once Austin is fit again he's a bench warmer at best?

So, considering Pellegrino has finally been sacked how do we treat Carrillo?

I don't doubt the move has been beneficial to him financially but him being Pellegrino's desperate stab at getting goals / his love child / a pretty average player is probably going to doom him at Saints. Once Austin is fit again he's a bench warmer at best?

That's why the black box, overseen by Uncle Les, identified and signed him pal. So our squad wouldn't vulnerable to the managerial merry-go-round. Part of the storied Southampton Way.

Edited by shurlock

Doesn’t make chances? Who was that who headed the ball back for the wonderful football brained Gabbi at Burnley?

Gabbi has looked as ineffective under this manager, isolated up front, he’d have struggled playing alone yesterday every bit as much as Carrillo did.

Carrillo was one of the only ones who did his best yesterday, his best is pretty average, but he gave his all. To decide he doesn’t look like a premiership footballer after a dozen games,playing alone in a struggling side lacking confidence, under a poor manager is just nonsense. You can’t have seen enough of him to make that judgement, as he hasn’t played enough games or played for a half competent manager. He may turn out to be a dud, as Gaston or Juanmi were, then you can pat yourself on the back safe in the knowledge that you’re such a great judge of a player. You can even see which ones lack a “football brain”.

On the playing side the issue isn’t him, the issue is international players giving half arsed arrogant performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

God you are bitter and over protective....

20m player can at least be expected to offer more than he has!

Yes the tactics have been terrible which on the one hand you highlight but have only a simplistic view of and others who watch the game in more detail are not allowed an opinion on!

When you can allow others to have a detailed opinion and offer a DETAILED opinion of your own then that might make sense.

I have set out why he has been poor so far and why alternatives are better even given the terrible tactical ability of the previous Manager.

Carrillo has made one fortunate assist so far and lacks most attributes a Premiership forward needs - so far, and yes a dozen games is enough to make an initial assessment.

Sims has played less and looks great or would disagree with that too - too early to judge perhaps?

Yes we will see but so far pretty terrible and no better than anyone we already have on the books or out on loan.

Not sure he was best player we could have signed, and at £19m pretty terrible value for money, but the more options the new manager has, the better. It felt like Pellegrino 'favoured' Carrillo and didn't want to entertain the idea of Gabbiadini being anything more than a cameo. But if the new manager changes the way we play and still sees a role for Carrillo, even if it's coming off the bench, all well and good. The money is a sunk cost, best to forget about it now and just hope that he can bring something more than he has so far to the table.

Carrilo and Gabby are very good strikers ..... IF they get the service

What chance has either had under Mr Negative

Early in the season Gabby got a goal v West Ham from a through ball by Redmond. Hit it on the turn first time

Never had a chance to do it again. Says a lot when Redmond lets it be known that he's playing to instructions

Same with Bouffel. Scored a Goal of the Season contender, then .... nothing. Why ? Told not to be adventurous by Mr Negative

Whoever comes in, I hope Saints are allowed to play the Saints Way again

The reason Carrillo was brought in was because MP complained the players were not able to follow his instructions...i.e. didn’t understand how he wanted them to play. It didn’t work...Carrillo was as isolated and bereft of ideas and results as the others until he had a strike partner in Gabbi, but of course that’s not what MP wanted so he persisted with Carrillo on his own.

I am fairly certain that we will not be determine the true worth of Carrillo until the new manager has assessed him and decided whether he has the attributes to lead the attack. This will depend largely on the tactics employed, but having watched him closely his off the ball movement is for the most part poor, arriving too early or too late in attempting to score. If I had to put money on it, I would imagine we’ll not be seeing much of him...Hughes will prefer Gabbi and Long.

The reason Carrillo was brought in was because MP complained the players were not able to follow his instructions...i.e. didn’t understand how he wanted them to play. It didn’t work...Carrillo was as isolated and bereft of ideas and results as the others until he had a strike partner in Gabbi, but of course that’s not what MP wanted so he persisted with Carrillo on his own.

I am fairly certain that we will not be determine the true worth of Carrillo until the new manager has assessed him and decided whether he has the attributes to lead the attack. This will depend largely on the tactics employed, but having watched him closely his off the ball movement is for the most part poor, arriving too early or too late in attempting to score. If I had to put money on it, I would imagine we’ll not be seeing much of him...Hughes will prefer Gabbi and Long.

The speed and pace of the Premier League can come as a surprise to many imported players and it can take a long while to adjust to this, ‘get up to speed’ as it were.

Another reason that a panic buy in January was always going to be a gamble.

Jardim at Monaco (Current French manager of the year) signed Carrillo in July 2015 and in the last two and a half seasons played him 95 times, scoring 21 goals. On that basis he might not be a world beater but he can't be completely useless. Problem is that the lad is a panic buy, record signing, and previous manager's 'man' rolled into one. Best chance he's got would probably be for the new manager to start his tenure with Gabby and Long on the pitch, and look to see how Carrillo blends with them from the bench. Not ideal for a £19m player clearly but the Board allowing Pelligrino to spunk the entire Jan transfer budget on one panacea player is to thank for that.

Jardim at Monaco (Current French manager of the year) signed Carrillo in July 2015 and in the last two and a half seasons played him 95 times, scoring 21 goals. On that basis he might not be a world beater but he can't be completely useless. Problem is that the lad is a panic buy, record signing, and previous manager's 'man' rolled into one. Best chance he's got would probably be for the new manager to start his tenure with Gabby and Long on the pitch, and look to see how Carrillo blends with them from the bench. Not ideal for a £19m player clearly but the Board allowing Pelligrino to spunk the entire Jan transfer budget on one panacea player is to thank for that.

Ah but f you look at his scoring history with the ASM you'll notice that a lot of his goals came in big, big wins against **** poor sides like, Troyes, Metz, Guingamp etc. As the PSG DM Rabiot said a while back, it's really not that hard to score 8 against Dijon.

A lot of French L1 sides would struggle in our League 1, they've no money and very little talent. That's why the French Cup semis have 2 semi pro sides in them this year. They're playing each other so the final will be no doubt PSG reserves against some awful non-league side.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Ah but f you look at his scoring history with the ASM you'll notice that a lot of his goals came in big, big wins against **** poor sides like, Troyes, Metz, Guingamp etc. As the PSG DM Rabiot said a while back, it's really not that hard to score 8 against Dijon.

A lot of French L1 sides would struggle in our League 1, they've no money and very little talent. That's why the French Cup semis have 2 semi pro sides in them this year. They're playing each other so the final will be no doubt PSG reserves against some awful non-league side.

Tell you what WC, true to character he can start with a brace against Wigan! Was he on your radar at all before January?

Proves he's mustard 'though.

Tell you what WC, true to character he can start with a brace against Wigan! Was he on your radar at all before January?

Nope, just an also ran at Monaco when that other serial failure in the PL wasn't fit. Wigan would probably be far above the standard of Dijon or Troyes though.

Yep. Monaco average over 2.5 goals/game in the past 2 seasons. Important to consider when looking at their players goal rates individually.

If this lad has something (which I haven't seen yet) then maybe learning and developing his game off one of the best hold up strikers to have played the game is no bad thing.
Yeah, he really got Berahino firing...

Hughes isn't a coach anyway - he leaves that to Eddie Niedzweicki and Mark Bowen.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Yeah, he really got Berahino firing...

Yeah, I can see where you went with this. As soon as I think of Mark Hughes and Guido Carrillo then Saido Berahino immediately jumps straight into my head. They are exactly the same type of players and obviously have similar attributes, that's not even to mention their attitude to playing the professional game. :rolleyes:

Yeah thought he was fairly ineffective again today. Not the players fault of course thay we baught him. Don't know where he goes from here. Maybe MH can help him being a former striker himself. Probably needs a goal to settle. I dunno

The statistical experts told us he was a goal-every-other-game scoring machine and they were experts so who was I to argue? After all, numbers don't lie.

All I could see was a player with no record of regularly scoring or playing and with no experience of being the main man a team relies on for goals. As a result I thought he was the wrong striker to sign and exactly what we didnt need: didn't play, didn't score, didn't lead.

No doubt the statisticians will be proved right any week now.

Today of our two strikers, I see a decent striker whose confidence is shot to sh it, and I see a striker who is just wa nk.

Gabbi and Long next week if Austin isn't fit.

I hadn’t seen much of him before today but he was a headless chicken with no connection with Gabs. Long showed more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game, and Gabbiadini’s movement was very good. Personally I’d drop Carrillo for the rest of the season, and either play Long and Gabbiadini together, or have Gabbiadini up top with Sims playing off him.

Need Chaz back soon.

I hadn’t seen much of him before today but he was a headless chicken with no connection with Gabs. Long showed more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game, and Gabbiadini’s movement was very good. Personally I’d drop Carrillo for the rest of the season, and either play Long and Gabbiadini together, or have Gabbiadini up top with Sims playing off him.

Need Chaz back soon.

Agree. Once Austin is back in 2 weeks, I don't think it should be a given that Carrillo even gets on the bench. I like Sims and Long better