Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

They probably are interested, but they will only pay £0.

We want to try and recoup the quite simply offensive amount we paid Monaco. The chances of that happening I'd say are between none and none.

I imagine he's also on a stupid wage which these clubs can't meet either. Absolute mess.

Maybe we could ask Pellegrino to pay us back for him?

Club just need to take the hit and lose the wages for low/no fee. They shouldn’t have allowed someone whose sense of any market or professional perspective at the top level was vanishing rapidly to stay in charge for over two years. As soon as Reed tried to sign Carrillo, Kreuger should have been telling Les no and instantly sacking both Pellegrino and Les for gross ineptitude. Tbh, the Forster extension was sackable even before that. Kreuger would have done it if the owners had insisted, as anyone with any business brain would have done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
He's back with his master again. Only fool who is interested in giving him a chance.

Season long loan to Leganes. Done.

Ralph apparently said yesterday he was sure at least 1 would be out the door.

This was the most obvious one. Bless us for trying to get a fee for him. No-one was ever going to be stupid enough.

Imagine we're still paying 50% of his wages on this one.

He's back with his master again. Only fool who is interested in giving him a chance.

Season long loan to Leganes. Done.

The worst signing in the club’s history authorised by the worst ever boardroom figure (Les) - apart from maybe Rupert/Askham, reunited with the worst ever manager. Perfect symmetry.

Remember when he signed and our forum geniuses would argue long and hard that he was a goal every other game striker. It’s just a shame he never got to show it in a saints shirt. Or a Leganes shirt. or a Monaco shirt. or an Estudiantes shirt.

To be fair a good majority of people on here as well a lot of people I know knew that this guy would be a dud and was only brought in as a panic buy to support Pellegrino.

It was only a select few that spouted his goals per minute record, and even then that was only in hope!

The worst signing we have ever made and think we will ever make. At least Ali Dia only cost us a month’s wage (and a lower one at that!)

The whole Pellegrino situation was utterly strange.

Nothing can explain why he was brought in and then kept on until it was almost too late

Other than to be seen backing an appalling manager, the signing of Carrillo is just as weird

And when Kruger was asked why Pellegrino wasn’t sacked before he said every time they considered it we got a positive result in the next game. A club that has for years slapped itself on the back for its careful planning deciding on a managers future on the basis of the last result, utter laughable.

To be fair a good majority of people on here as well a lot of people I know knew that this guy would be a dud and was only brought in as a panic buy to support Pellegrino.

It was only a select few that spouted his goals per minute record, and even then that was only in hope!

The worst signing we have ever made and think we will ever make. At least Ali Dia only cost us a month’s wage (and a lower one at that!)

Pound for pound got to be one of the worst signings ever by any club. How many clubs out there have a record signing who has contributed literally nothing and they can’t shift on?

I got into an argument with Lucy Highnett or however it is spelled on twitter at the moment of Carrillo as she started saying she was following regularly Ligue 1 and that Carrillo was ace in the air, which was a load of cobblers.

She subsequently blocked me when I started questionning her on Ligue 1 and when I saw she started appearing on Total Saints podcast, made me chuckle as she has zero credibility.

I got into an argument with Lucy Highnett or however it is spelled on twitter at the moment of Carrillo as she started saying she was following regularly Ligue 1 and that Carrillo was ace in the air, which was a load of cobblers.

She subsequently blocked me when I started questionning her on Ligue 1 and when I saw she started appearing on Total Saints podcast, made me chuckle as she has zero credibility.

the reason why I have stopped downloading.

If the TSP wanted more presenters/opinions. There are plenty more worthwhile causes than trying to make TSP wonderfully diverse.

Obviously a far worse footballer but was he really a worse buy than Osvaldo? Very sad he has any competition for the worst buy tag!

Yes. At least Osvaldo scored 3 goals, including that cracker against Man City. Although Osvaldo was a bit mental you could see why we signed him, a good pedigree and Pocechetino knew him. Carrillo had nothing in his career to suggest he would be a good singing and was blatantly on the recommendation of a woeful manager who was sacked a few weeks later.

Yes. At least Osvaldo scored 3 goals, including that cracker against Man City. Although Osvaldo was a bit mental you could see why we signed him, a good pedigree and Pocechetino knew him. Carrillo had nothing in his career to suggest he would be a good singing and was blatantly on the recommendation of a woeful manager who was sacked a few weeks later.
Yep. The obvious choice was to sack the manager but because they were scared to do that they went in the opposite direction by refusing to sack him and actually spunking a load of cash on one of his players. Utterly insane.

Yep. The obvious choice was to sack the manager but because they were scared to do that they went in the opposite direction by refusing to sack him and actually spunking a load of cash on one of his players. Utterly insane.

Don’t know about you but I’ve tried to rationalise it. I just cannot for the life of me understand it. Kruger even admitted after Pellegrino had gone they’d considered sacking him a few times prior to when they did but each time we got a decent result so they gave him the benefit of the doubt. To then spunk £20m and sack the manager a few weeks later was insanity.

Don’t know about you but I’ve tried to rationalise it. I just cannot for the life of me understand it. Kruger even admitted after Pellegrino had gone they’d considered sacking him a few times prior to when they did but each time we got a decent result so they gave him the benefit of the doubt. To then spunk £20m and sack the manager a few weeks later was insanity.
It highlights how we didn't really have anyone running things properly. Cortese was a complete cock but at least when it came to football he was decisive. Imagine making the decision on whether to sack someone on or not on the last couple of results! Pellegrino is the worst manager I have ever seen at saints and I'm getting on a bit. I'd rather have had jan portvliet and wotte back.

The whole Pellegrino situation was utterly strange.

Nothing can explain why he was brought in and then kept on until it was almost too late

Other than to be seen backing an appalling manager, the signing of Carrillo is just as weird

What is strange is that he was presented as a prgressive attacking manager when he clearly was the opposite. He really was a **** up.

But Les and the management team were sold on this idea that if you kept getting of managers you could build something bad into the culture of the first team. I remember this being alluded to in an interview with Les, that the team could develop the habit of choosing when to play for a manager and any manager could be dispensed of by the first team at their choosing. So they stuck with MP far longer than they should have done, trying to break this perceived cycle. Maybe backing the manager with a player of his choice was an extension of this approach. They got out of jail with Mark Hughes and then compounded their mistake by giving him the full time gig. The management did make some big mistakes.

What was funny was last year at the fan forum when Les said he still believed Carrillo had a part to play at Saints despite him being loaned out the week or so before.

Just an absolute mess of a transfer signing.

In fairness he was right, the donkey still does have a part to play at Saints. Draining about £20K per week from the payroll while on loan, along with installment payments on the £19M fee.

• 1 month later...
That's NOT good for us, whether we want to sell Guido, or keep him.

Sell him? We couldn't give him away. We broke our record transfer fee to buy him and then we broke it again to buy Vestergaard. We spent a total of £60 million in transfer fees on those two plus Elyounoussi. But, of course, that's not all. There are also their wages and agents' fees to factor in. The ridiculous thing is that at the time we bought them, most of our fans already knew they were a waste of money.

Sell him? We couldn't give him away. We broke our record transfer fee to buy him and then we broke it again to buy Vestergaard. We spent a total of £60 million in transfer fees on those two plus Elyounoussi. But, of course, that's not all. There are also their wages and agents' fees to factor in. The ridiculous thing is that at the time we bought them, most of our fans already knew they were a waste of money.

In Les we trust.

#blackbox

#thesouthamptonway

#whenthebig4slipupwe'reready

Actually most of our fans were creaming themselves over elyounoyssi and vestergaard.. go read the original threads.

I always find it a bit hippo-critical for people to bash read or whatever for signings the w**ked over and celebrated over at the time even though it’s not our jobs.. but for example I was super excited when we signed the likes of Osvaldo Gastón and clasie but I’m not gonna turn round now and whine about the signings because I agreed with them Osvaldo in particular looked super ambitious on paper getting an Italian international from Roma who was up their with top scorers in serie a the season before. I still think it was a ambitious move

The Donkey definitely. But I don't think we knew the other two were as bad as they are.

It's only Carillo that looked obviously dodgy mainly because of his record of not ever actually scoring any goals in professional football matches.

Vestergaard and Elyounoussi both looked like classic Saints signings (in a good way) at the time.

If you sign players from YouTube highlights then yes Vestergaard and Elyounoussi both looked like classic Saints signings (in a good way) at the time.

However if you watched them in full games you'd quickly realise (like a lot of us said at the time) that Vestergaard is too slow for the EPL and Elyounoussi too lightweight

If you sign players from YouTube highlights then yes Vestergaard and Elyounoussi both looked like classic Saints signings (in a good way) at the time.

However if you watched them in full games you'd quickly realise (like a lot of us said at the time) that Vestergaard is too slow for the EPL and Elyounoussi too lightweight

Yep, what goes through people's minds when giving new players the benefit of the doubt when they haven't seen them play...? Bonkers.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?60015-Jannik-Vestergaard

RbbRn-pVqYeUCOVSxhxG8N7ZiFuohioft2vzDxOyvdiR6sGNFfzx22Tt0ot5P9hZ0YMi6taUzOapkWkwmBeJeEq3Uc_d4jRZeykFlotVVWWW-z0haYIhGdWkexR16RBKB53B0ORhy6Pj1yIoTbNQHYuiuE_GRTQhI1x8GPDKJZqx0Mz38_NuUsw2ijo7nOMflSYEztKjvOwQRAav7HS6yHGAOnOTTL7elZMimLltnTJ_XaTsK73PdWDBlaip6vvcWH5SLSYcgYh3A7kh7AdkNT1eb6ijwCurcDWl9kaHIkPmCk2s1h9GlUT-BpQuxBFdQtIqN0kdLmDtRwqZz8x07jyOXFr8sI7vyzUTxCdIjMR_V79wSz_QWFToPotlpolkzig6Ut05wPDm1arBbD5nf4lRdkZBNTol2rajCIm7dU3mltor0JhelgYErOSCyhnF_xAWc5iphHbIkuXUyeCBnW68UuBMa8Zt-pRElK9szHHXiwYIPTV5Yn-ePcHl4fcNP765c2KFwZ2EGANtm244_SQglY6gIgIPQQcOKjIDnOrdZvh3JoICuEUWqZ2xdJLfdbjgNl_FGUO5RotRWGLDvplZUmchrBjvGn4pqk6tcwRmupH44cPaAs4uf-XoEahkEZG4IgG2-QVoGHlpZYcVc0a6kP61Rg8F8g0X1TKpC8qloVTmalJ_Y0k=w1837-h454-no

NGy95PzMtZwGyw9OvCbuyohVT3bbnYXaXRAV_RoG_aUex79dGVp8OfJoS0zFwowmqoTc9MuVlsS2A_zGHtRTA6K33LimUcOurpV3j6oP0w3IJTgoElA6vWW1wDzf0ztw1xkdnCBI27LatXMYJXISCxT5T9NHGOunAgHKJL0IZKQLo1S7Pd8rPdxLT7WjYVuyuT0GJbNsvUpC5YHA3ikp-aNM-MVS0CxPRauWgulKTZSx-1FczfcMiqJwCJx1hqQUsTNS2c_HwOeMXiQnPLLM26QwxVhOYlYuoxo8XXzRR8CBT_78UanXfwwjEwh4uzdu6gQF3_1JGlaa4HBEnHPkMmXMmFGThOkoVZtEbasbXqeW2doBGQbDRCTlMK9tsBdihYuNPY17-ghwMDC5lJaGx-cAEhDaAxrSkW06YbZLxmnHNhr7B_3b4smv2xQf69HplS3pAy82zsmuXZb_tfpWeaLYyjD9b5dDYMC7ohGgp4dkVnXo4LE-btF1ik4rtPj0EJNCSM7mNsaCaA9bMkPbelWP0SAOtDkWzQny1e_R7uKl6-nK_YF7EE4wAfppWS9cdQU0GaW_XXP6cbAsvrW-eL0GACx1Wy3Xd-MZmBF0yIOjMHmTQO1UTImonADam_FmJjX0esXeDntLjzff8xDDvY3U6PD5wZAEKWA_9tMvp-Gm47GzpsLQaUc=w1832-h442-no