Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

SKD will be along in a minute to tell us he's a striker worthy of a top 7 side or something.

He's absolutely dog**** (literally worse than I thought). In fact his one supposed attribute, being good in the air, he's also **** at.

He gets stuck in and is a big lump to aim at but doesn’t really look like he will score. Wasn’t what we needed and the sum we paid was absolutely ridiculous. When you look at Brighton and Locadia, who has already scored twice, we have clearly been mugged here. Another top quality signing on Ross Wilson’s watch.

Needs someone to play off him as he struggles to find space from two centre backs.

That’s my point though. For close to £20 million, you’d think we were buying someone suited to (the very limited) way we play. He isn’t , or close to it. So seems a colossal waste of money.

He really doesn't look very good but he has provided a couple of assists which suggest he would be better in a front 2 with Gabbi or similar buzzing around him all the time instead of for the last 10 minutes when we are chasing the game after going a goal down to a **** team.

He doesn't ever look likely to score a goal, which is not great for a striker. Also, his link up play is nowhere near good enough to justify a place in a premier league side if you are the type of striker who won't score loads.

Once Austin is back I personally wouldn't have him in the squad based on ability as Gabbi and Long are better sub options.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you didn't vote for him as player of the year last season... when he rightly deserved it. I know he hasn't been as good this season, but to call him an "awful midfielder" is ridiculous. :mcinnes:

What does he actually contribute? I'm not talking about trying hard and clapping the fans. But technically, what does he actually do? Had he ever scored a goal? Ever made a forward run or a telling pass? Or is he just an enforcer that actually doesn't enforce anything? Perhaps a yellow card every now and then for hauling someone down. He's just an example of how weakened our squad has become that he is consistently first choice.

Let's not forget, the year he signed, he was nowhere near the starting 11.

Seems he was brought in to allow Pellegrino to indulge himself in a bit of 'fantasy football' management, it is recognised he's crap at it in the real world.

Only thing that strikes me is whether this is t giving him sufficient rope, which allows the club to say "we've backed you, allowed you to bring your own man in, it hasn't worked - now f^ck off.. "*

* Wishful thinking perhaps.

I'm guessing you didn't vote for him as player of the year last season... when he rightly deserved it. I know he hasn't been as good this season, but to call him an "awful midfielder" is ridiculous. :mcinnes:

Romeu was excellent last year, relatively very poor recently - agreed?

Seems he was brought in to allow Pellegrino to indulge himself in a bit of 'fantasy football' management, it is recognised he's crap at it in the real world.

Only thing that strikes me is whether this is t giving him sufficient rope, which allows the club to say "we've backed you, allowed you to bring your own man in, it hasn't worked - now f^ck off.. "*

* Wishful thinking perhaps.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to pay up Pellegrino's contract.....?

I've never thought he was great but I can't really criticise him as he's been given nothing of any substance to work with. It's no coincidence that when Gabbi came on after 63 minutes it was a different game and we had them on the ropes for a while.

I feel sorry for him. Les overpaid for him, and he is closely linked with Pellegrino, which for many Saints supporters falls neatly into the “starting on the wrong foot” category. Worse for him, he gets to play under Pellegrino’s dull as ****e, timid, scared and nervous conservative regime without a strike partner to play off, and little goal scoring opportunities.

Seems like a good guy but unless he hit the ground running like Gabbiadini did last season he was always going to catch flak.

Pretty hard for him to come into a new league and be expected to hit the ground running, but I wanted to see a bit more in the sense of winning headers, holding the ball up, bringing others into play. Our main issue continues to be our inability to get people close to our 'central' striker. That's why two up top is the way forward, we looked better with him and Gabbi - could be a decent partnership. It won't happen though.

If somehow we stay up, and Pellegrino is sacked in the summer, the lad is going to become a pariah with the fans unless he has some magical skills that suddenly materialise (as right now he's bang average, I've seen as good as him in the Vanarama National).

Pointless signing. With the style of football we play we could put a kid from the youth team up front or Harry Kane and the result would be the same. Too isolated and disjointed.

Whatever style of football we played, at Premier League level he'd still have been a pointless signing. Meanwhile if we'd had Harry Kane this season, we'd have got a lot more points. It's easy to wrap up all of your problems and bundle them all on to a single scapegoat, in this case Pellegrino, but it's totally misguided to do so. Pellegrino may be one of the problems but he's not the only one. Our lack of a goal scorer, now that Austin is almost permanently injured, is a far bigger problem. If we'd had Harry Kane instead of Long followed by Carrillo, we'd probably be 7th now, even with your scapegoat as manager.

I think he'll be an average striker in the Championship. Certainly wouldn't be starting for a PL squad or a top Championship squad. Doesn't help create anything, but seems to get in the right spots. Purely a support/role player.

Hasn’t offered anything to make me think he can score goals or is worth £15m.

Looks a poor expensive signing and hasn’t looked liked scoring in any game so far. No pace and hasn’t won much in the air. Don’t know what he offers the team.

£19.2m doesn't get you a lot these days.

That's true if you are looking to buy younger players to sell for a profit to Liverpool but if you were lookiing to make Lawrie McMenemy style signings who could bring immediate results to your team but who might not be young enough to be sold to Liverpool after one or two seasons then it's not. We could have bought plenty of goalscoring strikers for that money or less, like Kevin Gameiro, Carlos Bacca or even Albert Adomah (a Mane style winger who scores goals). Glenn Murray cost Brighton just 3 million and he already has 12 goals this season (admittedly he is too old to sell to Liverpool). Investment in goal scorers like Gameiro and Adomah in January rather than Carrillo would have seen us climbing up the table immediately, even if we couldn't have sold them to Liverpool later.

Based on the highlights, much of the good we did in the second half came from excellent link up play for Carrillo. Played Sims in and played the 1-2 with Redmond that nearly resulted in a goal. Works tirelessly and throws himself at everything to try and get a goal, which will come soon. Hasn’t he already got 2/3 assists? Glad to see everyone writing him off already though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 19 million I could have got us 5 of six big lumps that don't score is Heskey still playing?0

Most important transfer window since we were promoted and we sold our best defender and made a striker who doesn't score our record signing worse than the Harry relegation season at least he bought a loaf of players in for comedy value!