Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Think we will need to give him a free transfer

Get him off the wage bill. We paid £20m for him so his wages are likely to be 80-100k a week

Mr Carrillo may not be so keen, I think it unlikely he'll give up his reported 80-100K a week. A final loan with us paying a vast percentage of his wages is the only way this one will go

It doesn't really get him off the wagebill, as you'd have to pay him those contracted wages.

My point is a free transfer might persuade a club to match his current high wages

a club might agree to pay £16.5m (assuming 80k wages) to him over 4 years rather than 16.5m wages + transfer fee

Nah......free use of a Super Yacht tied up to the Harbour side at the swimming pool for the Monaco Grand Prix weekend - and just to sweeten the deal a steady stream of scantily clad eye candy wafting up and down the decks serving Verve Cliquot bubbles from dawn to dusk.

I can see why he was tempted then, if you put it that way.

My point is a free transfer might persuade a club to match his current high wages

a club might agree to pay £16.5m (assuming 80k wages) to him over 4 years rather than 16.5m wages + transfer fee

Can’t see why any other club would offer him high wages, free transfer or not......

Can’t see why any other club would offer him high wages, free transfer or not......

Because clubs look at deals as the whole package. Transfer fee + salary over length of contact.

If we give him away for nothing, the £5-10m we might have got for him would cover his salary (let’s say £50k a week, probably about what he’s on) for 2 - 3 years.

Was chatting to a Leganes fan tonight he said “he fits in” not in a good way, suffice to say he thinks him and pellegrino are utter sh1te and can’t believe we paid £20m for him

Not sure many of us can believe we actually paid £20m on him either.

Not sure many of us can believe we actually paid £20m on him either.

Not that I know but I wonder if we did pay that much in the end? A lot of these deals are based on games played, achievement, etc. etc. He hardly played for us and achieved square root of FA. Possibly why we loaned him to "small" side - he does not earn his extra payment, and we get some - however small contribution to his wages. No doubt we make a loss on him but maybe not the full £20M and 3 years (or however long his contract is) of wages.

Because clubs look at deals as the whole package. Transfer fee + salary over length of contact.

If we give him away for nothing, the £5-10m we might have got for him would cover his salary (let’s say £50k a week, probably about what he’s on) for 2 - 3 years.

My point is why would anyone, and it really is only the EPL that can afford these sort of wages, pay Carrillo 50k a week....

Reality is he’s likely on MORE than 50k a week too!

our wage bill from the accounts in 2018 showed total wages at c£115m

if you assume 90% of that (c£104m) goes to the first team squad and everyone (25 players) is paid equally then it’s 104m / 25 / 52 = 80k pw each

now the likes of Obafemi and Valery are not going to get 80k PW so that raises the others average

#thanksLes

My point is why would anyone, and it really is only the EPL that can afford these sort of wages, pay Carrillo 50k a week....

Exactly. Anything else is ridiculous. There are 2 likely scenarios and 1 that is a bit more remote:

1. He goes out on loan (again) with us paying the vast majority of his wages

2. He reaches a settlement with the club, which results in the club 'paying up' pretty much all of the last year of his contract.

3. Nothing can be settled and he ends up staying at St Mary's for the final year and makes a couple of appearances as a substitute in the early rounds of the Carabao Cup.

I honestly don't know why the club don't write a couple of these players off as losses now. I don't mean end their contracts, I mean let them go for 'free'. So there is no charge to buy the player, but the buying club will use the transfer money saved to supplement the player's loss in Saints wages. It's a win win surely? Saints get rid of these useless, idiotic signings that are harming the club, the players move on and the buying club gets a player more cheaply.

Looking to make ANY sort of transfer fee for this lot (Carillo, Lemina, Ely-can't be bothered to spell him name, etc) is ludicrous. The latter admittedly is the player most likely to see some sort of small fee.

I honestly don't know why the club don't write a couple of these players off as losses now. I don't mean end their contracts, I mean let them go for 'free'. So there is no charge to buy the player, but the buying club will use the transfer money saved to supplement the player's loss in Saints wages. It's a win win surely? Saints get rid of these useless, idiotic signings that are harming the club, the players move on and the buying club gets a player more cheaply.

Looking to make ANY sort of transfer fee for this lot (Carillo, Lemina, Ely-can't be bothered to spell him name, etc) is ludicrous. The latter admittedly is the player most likely to see some sort of small fee.

Because these players don’t want to leave and prefer being difficult.

Supposedly we turned down permanent bids for Lemina and Carillo because we wanted to try and make a profit on the transfer fee, which is absolutely insane. Lemina wanted to move but Carillo wanted to stay in Europe so I get why we couldn't sell him but if we are seriously trying to make money on players who we overpaid for in the first place then it's crazy.

Supposedly we turned down permanent bids for Lemina and Carillo because we wanted to try and make a profit on the transfer fee, which is absolutely insane. Lemina wanted to move but Carillo wanted to stay in Europe so I get why we couldn't sell him but if we are seriously trying to make money on players who we overpaid for in the first place then it's crazy.

Yeah, but we did land man on the moon

So no clubs outside of the PL can afford a total player package of £5-10m? Don’t talk nonsense.

Wanting to pay a very very poor player £50k a week is a different argument, but giving him away for nothing makes it affordable for pretty any club in the top 2 tiers across Europe.

Not that I know but I wonder if we did pay that much in the end? A lot of these deals are based on games played, achievement, etc. etc. He hardly played for us and achieved square root of FA. Possibly why we loaned him to "small" side - he does not earn his extra payment, and we get some - however small contribution to his wages. No doubt we make a loss on him but maybe not the full £20M and 3 years (or however long his contract is) of wages.

That's what I thought. Very much doubt it was £20m up front and plenty on appearances. Even Les wouldn't have been that daft surely in saving face on Pellegrino? Still probably 8-9 million lost plus the wages. How long left on his deal now? If it's 12 months then a free transfer and a contribution is probably the way to go. If La Liga's basement side don't want him after sacking the nervous wreck, he's going to be hard to shift. Might do a job for one of the new MLS franchises?

Because not only do we have to pay off his contract in full, we also would take the hit on the entirety of his remaining book value as amortisation. From an accounting perspective we haven’t yet ‘paid’ the £20m it cost to sign him, we pay that off bit by bit every year by writing his value down incrementally to zero at the of his contract. End his contract early, it costs you his full book value and whatever agreement you come to with the player for wages

It may well be that it was because it was January. Letting another year of the contract anniversary go past and then selling makes more sense as amortisation reduces the loss / potentially pushes into profit.

Because not only do we have to pay off his contract in full, we also would take the hit on the entirety of his remaining book value as amortisation. From an accounting perspective we haven’t yet ‘paid’ the £20m it cost to sign him, we pay that off bit by bit every year by writing his value down incrementally to zero at the of his contract. End his contract early, it costs you his full book value and whatever agreement you come to with the player for wages

I didn't see this post before I responded to Turkish, but yes, amortisation and timing of transfers makes a huge difference. It's an odd concept that a million less for Carillo in the summer (after the next contract anniversary) is worth more to us than selling him for a million more last month.

I didn't see this post before I responded to Turkish, but yes, amortisation and timing of transfers makes a huge difference. It's an odd concept that a million less for Carillo in the summer (after the next contract anniversary) is worth more to us than selling him for a million more last month.

I don't want to get into an Accounting debate but I suggest his transfer fee must have been pretty much written off already. You can't buy a bloke for, say, 18M over a 3 year contract and write the value down by 6M a year if he isn't playing and the prospect of him doing so is practically zero. He is what would be called in the trade an 'impaired asset.' The club will have/should have written off that fee much quicker reflecting his value to the club over the remainder of his contract - zero.

Finally, cash flow is equally important (at least) here so regardless if you have something you're not going to use you get rid ASAP for as much as possible.

I don't want to get into an Accounting debate but I suggest his transfer fee must have been pretty much written off already. You can't buy a bloke for, say, 18M over a 3 year contract and write the value down by 6M a year if he isn't playing and the prospect of him doing so is practically zero. He is what would be called in the trade an 'impaired asset.' The club will have/should have written off that fee much quicker reflecting his value to the club over the remainder of his contract - zero.

Finally, cash flow is equally important (at least) here so regardless if you have something you're not going to use you get rid ASAP for as much as possible.

If it was a 3 year deal and he's been here for 3 years then yes the fee will have been written off. I assumed the deal still had time to run but I might be wrong.

Is there provision for deeming a football player an impaired asset? I've never heard of it happening. A knackered tractor on a farm, yes, but a footballer who's turned out to be ****, I'm not sure about.

I take your last point but if we are offered similar money in the summer as we could have got in January, and after another chunk has been amortised, it obviously makes sense.

Either way he's a donkey and signing him was appalling business.

Is there provision for deeming a football player an impaired asset?.

Yes there is, amortisation of player contracts are subject to the same rules as other intangible assets. When the 30/6/2019 accounts are published (last set I can find are as at 30 June 2018) it'll be interesting to see if they have written down any player contracts.

I agree, signing him was appalling business but am convinced the only way he leaves before the end of his contract (30/6/21) is if we hand him the majority of his remaining wages.

Yes there is, amortisation of player contracts are subject to the same rules as other intangible assets. When the 30/6/2019 accounts are published (last set I can find are as at 30 June 2018) it'll be interesting to see if they have written down any player contracts.

I agree, signing him was appalling business but am convinced the only way he leaves before the end of his contract (30/6/21) is if we hand him the majority of his remaining wages.

Yep, we'll have to give him away and pay up a chunk of his wages. Horrific.

Company year end is June so we should see accounts end of March - tgey'll be interesting in many respects.

Grabbed an assist for Leganes' 1st goal as they won 2-1 away at Villarreal.

And hit the post.

And played very well

Terrible signing for us, but always pleased to see him doing well out on loan.

Certainly will get the opportunity with Braithwaite moving to Barca.

A brief article. Nothing exciting.

https://apple.news/ARZH6hB24TxqwGi93h2t5Zw

I think the last sentence is the salient point though:

Unfortunately, the Argentine has not fared much better in LaLiga this season, scoring just a single league goal in nearly 1,000 minutes of action for the second-worst club in Spain’s top-flight.

Not the sort of states that any team is going to want to shell out big bucks for.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Yep, we'll have to give him away and pay up a chunk of his wages. Horrific.

Company year end is June so we should see accounts end of March - tgey'll be interesting in many respects.

A terrible bit of business by Saints again. I wonder..did Read receive bonuses and were they based on results?

I think the last sentence is the salient point though:

Unfortunately, the Argentine has not fared much better in LaLiga this season, scoring just a single league goal in nearly 1,000 minutes of action for the second-worst club in Spain’s top-flight.

Not the sort of states that any team is going to want to shell out big bucks for.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I noticed that as well. Trouble is we all knew he was sh!t, the only two who missed it were Wilson and Les Reed.

• 4 months later...